1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cold Smoke Scotch Ale - Kettle House Brewing Co.

Cold Smoke Scotch AleCold Smoke Scotch Ale

Kettle House Brewing Co. visit their website
Montana, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  6.50% ABV

Formulated with Montana grown 2-row barley, northwest Goldings hops, and lotsa love, this hearty ale drinks very smooth. Not bitter at all and not too sweet either. Novice beer drinkers have been known to take a taste and then say, “WOW! That’s not what I expected… that’s GOOD!” A hint of roasted barley lends a slight coffee-like smoky finish. With a 6.5% abv, this beer is perfect after a day of rippin’ lines on area or your favorite back country getaway.

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-20-2002)
View: Beers (14) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 126 | Reviews: 55 | Show All Ratings:
chugalug06

Colorado

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

A - Very nice head, rather aggressive. Head is nice off-white mildly foamy... Brew is nice dark purple with lots of black and and mild browns. Nice lacing too.

S - Yum. Nice. Lots of smokey goodness... Not a huge smoke fan, but this one is done right! Lots of small fruits... Grape, apple, banana, orange....

T - Very subtle smoke flavor, nothing intense. One of the best scotch ales I've had in some time. Mild malt with gentile hop.

M - Perfect carbonation and zero bitterness. Light body with awesome distribution.

O - This brew reminds me of being in Glacier National Park.... Awesome! Can't wait to go back and enjoy more of this fine brew. Definitely worth a try. I wouldn't hunt, but definitely seek. Great job Kettlehouse!

07-12-2011 02:15:50 | More by chugalug06
Kindsdaddy

Montana

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%

Spent a week in Missoula last September. Stopped in to the Kettlehouse Brewery and Tried this beer after being disappointed in their Bongwater porter (the name fits). I was very pleasantly surprised by this beer. Found this beer on tap most everywhere we ate on tap. The only other Wee Heavy I'd had was an Import from Scotland. This beer comes damn close!

01-23-2009 13:17:00 | More by Kindsdaddy
ArtD

Maryland

4.6/5  rDev +17.3%

Appearance - off white head, love the ruby brown color
Smell - inviting - sweet honey, malt, and a slight herbal-smoky aroma, hints of baked bread and heather
Taste - what a scottish ale should taste like, clean and malty, not too "hot", just touch of smoke at the end, perfect imperceptible hop bitterness
Mouthfeel - medium to full body, not too thick
Drinkability - I want to buy a plane ticket to Missoula so I can access this beer continually. I fear it'll be far too long until this rare treasure passes my lips again.

10-31-2007 00:40:02 | More by ArtD
MikeMilanoDesign

4.7/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

appearance: dark with an amber hue

smell: hints of cocoa and toffee

taste: nice notes of smoked malts, cocoa, and light notes of toffee

mouthfeel: creamy then airy then crisp carbonation.

overall this is an amazing beer and i recommend it to anyone. kettle house is one of my favorite breweries in the missoula area

09-18-2013 05:27:43 | More by MikeMilanoDesign
MontanaBeers

Montana

4.83/5  rDev +23.2%

I may a bit biased in this review of the Kettlehouse's Cold Smoke. I mean it was one of the first beers I consumed legally in a brewery. For a few years not a day went by in which I didn't stop by the K-hole to get my hands on one of the many delicious beers they have to offer. But enough about the brewery.

Cold Smoke hold a place in my heart as one of the best beers to have graced my tastebuds. Like the name, a pint dripping with sweat and crisp white head, leaves me dreaming of the a days turns in the seemingly never ending cold smoke of a fresh powder day-- and its August.

08-04-2011 22:01:29 | More by MontanaBeers
Cold Smoke Scotch Ale from Kettle House Brewing Co.