2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Steamy Windows - Liberty Street Brewing Company

Steamy WindowsSteamy Windows

Liberty Street Brewing Company visit their website

California Common / Steam Beer |  5.60% ABV

A "Steam" style beer made with a lager yeast and fermented at ale temperatures and then aged at lager temperatures for a smooth, clean finish.

(Beer added by: h00dak on 02-05-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 33 | Reviews: 11 | Show All Ratings:
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

3.2/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Granted I've not had very many, but Steamy Windows is the palest of all the Steam beers I've tried; it lacks the solid copper tone that comes to mind with all the others (including the style's grandaddy, Anchor Steam). This is yellow as a summer's sun and only get's paler against the light. It can hardly support its haggard head. Should I be concerned?

Perhaps... Steamy Windows has an unusual bouquet, one that is again not necessarily what I recall from other examples of the style. There's more fruitiness than anticipated, all credited to esters brought about by fermentation (not the hops). It has a slight apple cider-like tang.

This beer should offer broad appeal but it's not because it has a great flavour - the exact opposite: it has little flavour. As indicated in the appearance, there really isn't much substance to this ale (which actually uses lager yeast). The fruity esters continue on the palate, along with a very slight woodiness and next to no malt flavour.

Steam beer is an excellent option for brewers looking to attain sessionability without losing mouthfeel; it necessitates both caramelly maltiness as well as a pronounced hop bitterness. This example, however, delivers only the bare minimum of each and makes for a beer too dull to bother with more than one of. It's rare that a 12oz bottle doesn't leave me wanting more.

Craft beer has a certain quality that cannot be replicated by industrial, multinational breweries nor by homebrewers and starter kits. As a microbrewery, you never want your beer to resemble either of those extremes; Steamy Windows, the only beer I've yet to try from Liberty Street Brewing, seems like it could have been made by either. That's not a good first impression.

11-17-2013 01:32:23 | More by biegaman
tectactoe

3.61/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Enjoyed on tap at the Liberty Street brewery. Pours a golden-yellow color with pretty high clairty. The almost stark-white head had decent retention before settling to a thin skin and leaves some foamy lace near the top of the glass. Appearance-wise, this one looks very similar to their Blonde Ale, perhaps just a bit lighter in color.

Very mild aroma, but it was almost expected from this one. Faint grains and light malt structure pave the way for the hop bill, which is pretty tame itself. Damp, musty hops, most likely some sort of Noble hop. Aside from maybe a light hint of yeast on the tail end, there really isn't much more to the aroma. It's very conservative and laid-back. Nothing too exciting or attention-grabbing, but nothing off-putting, either. Relaxed and easy-going.

The taste follows through, hand-in-hand with the aroma. A mouth full of grain and a slight hint of corn opens things up. The hops trudge back in, musky and only contributing a small dash of bitterness - they seem a bit more quiet on the palate, even quieter than they were in the aroma. The finish contains a very light dusting of citrus and lemon zest, just enough to spruce the aftertaste up a bit. Noticeable lager yeast gives this beer a crisp and refreshing feel all the way through. Thin bodied with medium carbonation.

Nothing mind blowing, here, but it was certainly something you could kick back and drink a bunch of without getting fatigued (or drunk, for that matter). Mellow and contempt, I think I may actually prefer this one to Anchor Steam, although it's been a while since I've had that one, maybe too long to compare. Not something I would actively seek out, but something I'd get from time to time at the brewpub for a relaxing change of pace.

04-22-2013 11:41:21 | More by tectactoe
alphaacid9000

3.8/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appearance was a hazy yellow-gold with a thin white head

Aromas of sourdough, grain, grass with a subtle citrus note

Flavor was very pleasant. Nicely balanced between malt sweetness and bitterness.

Overall, Very easy drinking and approachable. Very well balanced.

04-14-2013 22:50:47 | More by alphaacid9000
jsisko01

3.03/5  rDev -6.5%

Appearance - Pours a hazy, bright yellow color with a half inch head that dissipates instantly. Leaves a very nice lacing behind.

Smell - Sweet with corn, grains, and bread.

Taste - It's quite spicy from the earthy and floral hops used. It's very grassy and skunky as well. A strong sweetness and bitterness follow through to the finish.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied with high carbonation.

Overall - This is nothing like the steam beer I tried by Anchor Brewing.. I don't particularly like it.

01-01-2013 04:17:56 | More by jsisko01
StoutHunter

2.73/5  rDev -15.7%

I picked up a bottle of Liberty Street's Steamy Windows last week for $1.59 at The Lager Mill. Liberty Street just started distributing their beer this year and I already tried Red Glare, so it's time to try their other bottled beer, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12ox bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok and it fits the name of the beer nicely. It poured a hazy golden yellow color that took on a slight amber hue when held to the light with a fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded to nothing and it left hardly any lacing. This beer looked pretty average, the color was nice, but the head was disappointing.

S- The aroma is pretty light and subtle, it starts of with some sweet malts that impart a grainy and white bread like aroma. After that comes this weird earthy aroma that i assume is coming from the hops. The aroma was average at best, it was pretty dull and the weird earthy aroma wasn't that pleasant.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma, it starts off with some malts which had a higher amount of sweetness and impart some bready, stale grain, straw, and slightly skunky flavors. Towards the end comes a light earthy hop flavor followed by a slightly light amount of medium bitterness and it had a sweet, earthy, and stale grain like aftertaste. The taste of this beer was below average, it really didn't have any redeeming or memorable quality's.

M- A little smooth, very crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a nice medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, it seemed pretty true to style but it could have been smoother.

Overall I wasn't a fan or impressed by this beer and I thought it was a below average example of the style. it was pretty dull and somehow managed to be rough around the edges, it didn't have all the aspects that I look for in the style. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it wasn't that smooth and the taste for sure didn't hold my attention, one is more than enough for me, I don't want to drink another one. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel, it seemed pretty true to style but it could have been a little smoother. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, it was pretty simple and dull and the flavors didn't seem nearly as clean as they should be. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's not worth my time and I can't say that I would recommend it to anyone. All in all I was pretty let down with this beer, so far Liberty Street has been disappointing me, both the beers they have bottled have been pretty underwhelming with this one being the worst of the two, I know they can make some good beer, I have had them before, but if they keep bottling these bland beers instead, it's not going to work out good for them, better luck next time guys this one needs some work and so Far it's my least favorite beer from Liberty Street.

12-17-2012 04:42:13 | More by StoutHunter
Alextricity

3.03/5  rDev -6.5%

My sister lives over in Plymouth and has told me several times to go with her over to the Liberty Street Brewery and have their Punkin Pie. Well, I didn't see that bottled, but they did have this and their signature beer, Red Glare. Note, this is my first ever "Steam Beer".

Appearance: Pours with what I expected to see -- a mostly yellow beer, with a bit of haze at the top. A very thin head with no lacing.

Smell: Wow. Really not much here. Then again, I didn't expect much smell OR taste out of a steam beer. Maybe some malts and hops, but it's really rather light. It's difficult to pick up a distinct aroma here.

Taste/feel: With a steam beer and understanding the style, I wasn't expecting much flavor. At the same time, I feel like this is a very mediocre example of the style. The flavor is much too light for the amount of bitterness I'm getting, and it's just not something I find enjoyable. The feel is middle-of-the-road as well.

Overall, this just isn't a beer I see myself seeking out again. It's the definition of an average brew.

10-09-2012 02:41:21 | More by Alextricity
Jamesthebrit

3.5/5  rDev +8%

A: Looks like every other beer. Little to no head and a dark amber color.
S: Not really any smell. A little malty I guess.
T: Nice with subtle apple fruitiness. Some hops in there with lingering fruit flavors on the palate.
M: Carbonation is good and some of the lingering flavors are pleasant.

Overall this beer did not bring a lot to the table but it certainly wasn't bad. I'd probably pass on it for something else though.

04-24-2012 17:15:49 | More by Jamesthebrit
Phinner

3.93/5  rDev +21.3%

This is a nice take on California Common, although not necessarily a bad thing, its characteristics didn't quite measure-up to the style.

It's much lighter in color and flavor than one would expect with a Cal. Common. Little maltiness and the hops were not very pronounced, but the balance was good.

Overall, nice flavor and easy drinking. But if I wasn't told it was in the Cal. Common style, I would have though it was simply another amber lager.

03-04-2012 15:02:13 | More by Phinner
schmidtn

4.03/5  rDev +24.4%

This beverage is golden and lightly cloudy in

appearance. Looks very nice

Citrusy smell with a malty backdrop.

Bitter taste with a sour hint, nice.

I would like a bit more carbonation to match the style better.

I could have another, this is tasty

03-29-2011 20:36:29 | More by schmidtn
nickadams2

4.33/5  rDev +33.6%

On tap at Liberty Street Plymouth MI.

A_Dark gold. Thin bone white head. Lacing coasts the glass.

S_Very earthy nose. Grainy,hops and honey.

T_Same as the nose.Earthy grain.grassy hops and a touch of honey in the finish. Bit of sweetness. Mildly bitter.

M_Medium bodied with good carbonation. Very crisp.

D_Very easy drinking. Quite flavorful too.

10-30-2010 04:46:27 | More by nickadams2
h00dak

4.35/5  rDev +34.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ordered a pint of this last night at Liberty Street and then promptly ordered another one. I don't know why they call it an Amber Ale, when for one, it isn't Amber, it is creamy yellow in appearance, and for two, it doesn't taste like an Amber Ale.

Anyways, I don't usually judge how much I like a beer or how I rate it based on style guidelines so I won't start now. It has an interesting color to it. Yellow, coppery, and hazy. Not a lot of activity as far as carbonation apparent in the pint.

The smell is citrusy, orange and lemony. Slight buttery aroma. My mouth is watering by now. A really good smelling pint.

Taste is hoppy, smooth, wet. Great tasting. Not overly complex or challenging but really good. It seems to me that Liberty Street just brews solid gold. I had no idea what I was ordering when I said I wanted a "Steamy Window" but I'm willing to do that here because I know they don't brew garbage. Another great brew. I just wish more people could experience these brews instead of just people in southeast Michigan!

02-05-2010 20:21:14 | More by h00dak