Steamy Windows - Liberty Street Brewing Company

Steamy WindowsSteamy Windows

Liberty Street Brewing Company visit their website

California Common / Steam Beer |  5.60% ABV

A "Steam" style beer made with a lager yeast and fermented at ale temperatures and then aged at lager temperatures for a smooth, clean finish.

(Beer added by: h00dak on 02-05-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
1.5/5  rDev -54.3%

2.5/5  rDev -23.8%

2.5/5  rDev -23.8%

2.73/5  rDev -16.8%

I picked up a bottle of Liberty Street's Steamy Windows last week for $1.59 at The Lager Mill. Liberty Street just started distributing their beer this year and I already tried Red Glare, so it's time to try their other bottled beer, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12ox bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok and it fits the name of the beer nicely. It poured a hazy golden yellow color that took on a slight amber hue when held to the light with a fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded to nothing and it left hardly any lacing. This beer looked pretty average, the color was nice, but the head was disappointing.

S- The aroma is pretty light and subtle, it starts of with some sweet malts that impart a grainy and white bread like aroma. After that comes this weird earthy aroma that i assume is coming from the hops. The aroma was average at best, it was pretty dull and the weird earthy aroma wasn't that pleasant.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma, it starts off with some malts which had a higher amount of sweetness and impart some bready, stale grain, straw, and slightly skunky flavors. Towards the end comes a light earthy hop flavor followed by a slightly light amount of medium bitterness and it had a sweet, earthy, and stale grain like aftertaste. The taste of this beer was below average, it really didn't have any redeeming or memorable quality's.

M- A little smooth, very crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a nice medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, it seemed pretty true to style but it could have been smoother.

Overall I wasn't a fan or impressed by this beer and I thought it was a below average example of the style. it was pretty dull and somehow managed to be rough around the edges, it didn't have all the aspects that I look for in the style. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it wasn't that smooth and the taste for sure didn't hold my attention, one is more than enough for me, I don't want to drink another one. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel, it seemed pretty true to style but it could have been a little smoother. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, it was pretty simple and dull and the flavors didn't seem nearly as clean as they should be. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's not worth my time and I can't say that I would recommend it to anyone. All in all I was pretty let down with this beer, so far Liberty Street has been disappointing me, both the beers they have bottled have been pretty underwhelming with this one being the worst of the two, I know they can make some good beer, I have had them before, but if they keep bottling these bland beers instead, it's not going to work out good for them, better luck next time guys this one needs some work and so Far it's my least favorite beer from Liberty Street.

2.75/5  rDev -16.2%

2.75/5  rDev -16.2%

3.03/5  rDev -7.6%

My sister lives over in Plymouth and has told me several times to go with her over to the Liberty Street Brewery and have their Punkin Pie. Well, I didn't see that bottled, but they did have this and their signature beer, Red Glare. Note, this is my first ever "Steam Beer".

Appearance: Pours with what I expected to see -- a mostly yellow beer, with a bit of haze at the top. A very thin head with no lacing.

Smell: Wow. Really not much here. Then again, I didn't expect much smell OR taste out of a steam beer. Maybe some malts and hops, but it's really rather light. It's difficult to pick up a distinct aroma here.

Taste/feel: With a steam beer and understanding the style, I wasn't expecting much flavor. At the same time, I feel like this is a very mediocre example of the style. The flavor is much too light for the amount of bitterness I'm getting, and it's just not something I find enjoyable. The feel is middle-of-the-road as well.

Overall, this just isn't a beer I see myself seeking out again. It's the definition of an average brew.

3.03/5  rDev -7.6%

Appearance - Pours a hazy, bright yellow color with a half inch head that dissipates instantly. Leaves a very nice lacing behind.

Smell - Sweet with corn, grains, and bread.

Taste - It's quite spicy from the earthy and floral hops used. It's very grassy and skunky as well. A strong sweetness and bitterness follow through to the finish.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied with high carbonation.

Overall - This is nothing like the steam beer I tried by Anchor Brewing.. I don't particularly like it.

3.2/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Granted I've not had very many, but Steamy Windows is the palest of all the Steam beers I've tried; it lacks the solid copper tone that comes to mind with all the others (including the style's grandaddy, Anchor Steam). This is yellow as a summer's sun and only get's paler against the light. It can hardly support its haggard head. Should I be concerned?

Perhaps... Steamy Windows has an unusual bouquet, one that is again not necessarily what I recall from other examples of the style. There's more fruitiness than anticipated, all credited to esters brought about by fermentation (not the hops). It has a slight apple cider-like tang.

This beer should offer broad appeal but it's not because it has a great flavour - the exact opposite: it has little flavour. As indicated in the appearance, there really isn't much substance to this ale (which actually uses lager yeast). The fruity esters continue on the palate, along with a very slight woodiness and next to no malt flavour.

Steam beer is an excellent option for brewers looking to attain sessionability without losing mouthfeel; it necessitates both caramelly maltiness as well as a pronounced hop bitterness. This example, however, delivers only the bare minimum of each and makes for a beer too dull to bother with more than one of. It's rare that a 12oz bottle doesn't leave me wanting more.

Craft beer has a certain quality that cannot be replicated by industrial, multinational breweries nor by homebrewers and starter kits. As a microbrewery, you never want your beer to resemble either of those extremes; Steamy Windows, the only beer I've yet to try from Liberty Street Brewing, seems like it could have been made by either. That's not a good first impression.

3.2/5  rDev -2.4%

3.25/5  rDev -0.9%

The Steamy Windows is decent not spectacular. The beer I had was overprimed which I'm sure affected the taste and scent. The beer poured a golden color with huge white fizzy head that left some lacing. The scent was grassy like. The taste was crisp and clean. Overall it was ok,

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »