Red Glare - Liberty Street Brewing Company

Beer added by: nickadams2 on 10-30-2010

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews by nickadams2:
4.07/5  rDev +19%

On tap at Liberty Street Brewing Co. Plymouth MI.

A_Dark red/ amber. Thin frothy white head that quickly dissipates into a thin ring. Lots of thin gobby lacing.

S_Very malt forward. Touch of spice. Slightly fruity.

T_Malt,spice,grainy,and fruit. Apricots and cherries come to mind.Very flavorful with no heat. Faint taste of grassy hops.

M_Thin and watery. Goes down very easily.

D_Very. P{probably my favorite red.

3.43/5  rDev +0.3%

Drank from a bottle, poured a shots worth into a shot glass to get a look at the color.
Pours a nice deep orange/amber color, as the name implies. Thin foam head.
Smells... I couldn't get what I was smelling, it was an interesting smell, almost fruity.
Tastes... I couldn't really tell what I was tasting, it was fruity, yet, it was chocolaty like a porter, yet, it tasted like a mild ale.
Felt smooth, light in carbonation, and went down really smooth, very easy to drink.

I wasn't sure what I was tasting, it was interesting, but not a bad interesting.

3.41/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Liberty Street's Red Glare today for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I have had a couple Liberty Street beers before but have never reviewed them and I haven't had this beer before and since they just started bottling their beer I decided to give this brew a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's not bad looking but it really isn't that eye catching. It poured a nice amber color that took on some ruby hues when held to the light with a fingers worth of off white head that faded to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it hardly left any lacing. This was an average looking beer, the color was nice, but head and lacing were disappointing.

S- The aroma starts off with the malts which seem to dominate the flavor of this beer and have a medium amount of sweetness while imparting some sweet, grainy and caramel like aromas with just a slight nutty aroma. Towards the end comes a slight spicy aroma but I can't tell what it's coming from. Overall the aroma was pretty average and bland, it's too one dimensional.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with the malts that have a medium amount of sweetness and impart a dull grainy, bready and slightly caramel like flavor with a good amount of that cheap grain flavor that I get in a lot of Adjunct Lagers. I got no hops at all in the flavor of this beer and it sure could use some to balance out the malts. On the finish it has a lighter amount of bitterness and a pretty grainy aftertaste. The taste was average at best and pretty damn dull with only have some weak malt flavors.

M- Fairly smooth, crisp, watery, slightly dry, on the fuller side of being light bodied, with a higher amount of medium carbonation that was a little prickly. The mouthfeel was pretty average, it was a little watery with a little too much prickly carbonation.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I thought it was an average at best example of an American Red Ale, it was pretty dull all the way around with no complexity or hops to speak of. This beer had ok drinkability, it went down fairly smooth and was pretty light, but the flavors did not hold my attention at all so one is enough for me, but If I didn't care about taste I could probably drink three or four of these, but that's not happening anytime soon. What I liked the most about this beer pretty much nothing, to me there was nothing that stuck out about this beer as being done well. What I liked the least about this beer was how dull and boring the flavor and the aroma were, those were a big let down. I wouldn't buy this beer again since it's not a good example of the style and a good Red Ale isn't too hard to find, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. All in all I wasn't a fan of this beer, it was pretty boring overall and it had nothing that made me want to come back for more, I have had some good beers from Liberty Street, but this isn't one, I hope their other bottled beers turn out better then this one.

2.81/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

3.71/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.5/5  rDev -26.9%

3.5/5  rDev +2.3%

2.5/5  rDev -26.9%

3.2/5  rDev -6.4%

Appearance: Arrives with a clear amber color; the modest head that squats on top leaves no lace

Smell: Caramel dominates, with a hint of resin

Taste: The caramel flavors provide a lot of sweetness, up front, with a resinous pine flavor arriving at mid-palate to provide some balance though the finish is overly sweet

Mouthfeel: Medium body with low carbonation

Overall: If you like sweeter ambers, this beer will fit the bill; as i like to have a bit more hop balance in the mix, this is not a good fit for my palate

3.68/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.25/5  rDev +24.3%

3.44/5  rDev +0.6%

Appearance: dark amber with lighter amber highlights. A thin beige head and not much lacing.
Smell:The nose is grainy with a bit of caramel malt.
Taste: I like the sweet touch of caramel followed by slightly toasted grains and a hint of grassy hoppiness. A bit watery around the edges. It is tasty.
Mouthfeel: The overall mouthfeel is soft and maybe a bit thin.
Drinkability: An easy drinking ale. No problem knocking down this growler.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Red Glare from Liberty Street Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.