Trippel Belgian Style Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Tripel |  7.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trippel Belgian Style Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 971 | Hads: 2,723

All 5s. When I think beer, New Belgium Trippel is a perfect ideal of it. Have i had better beers? You betcha, but to me this is a stellar beverage and is about as close to perfection as one can get at this scale. It is also an excellent beverage that pairs with a meal. (269 characters)

I am writing this as I am sipping my favorite beer in the whole wide world. (Which is the same beer I am reviewing, to dispel any doubts there might be).
I have had La Fin du Monde and Chimay White and many other Trippels, not to mention hundreds of other beers but New Belgium's Trippel stands out among them all. You could have one while you're grilling or cooking a Brazilian Bobo de Camarao. The 7.8% ABV is hardly noticable until it hits you.
I am not going to go into the details of appearance, aroma etc etc for this beer. It has had to be had to experience it. It is the Pliny the Elder of Trippels, of all beers in my book. (633 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +29%

A golden color that reminded me of the beers I used to drink. Smell of carmel and chocolate. Taste of strong chocolate. Mouthful is a feeling like no other. Goes down very smooth and drinkabity is a wonderful for a day of crinking with the good friends. (253 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +27.7%

Another celebratory pouring (welcome to the East Coast) into a bellowed pint glass. Hazy golden, more yellow than I expected, with a slowly dissipating pure white head. Great persistent lacing that forms cloud patterns. Smells like canteloupe on rye toast...which doesn't sound that good when I write it down, but it totally is. Taste follows suit--any number of combinations of fruit and grain come to mind. Best way I can put it is something almost like pineapple upside-down cake with like a Campari glaze. Utterly captivating. Mouthfeel is light and crisp, nice carbonation and a slight bitter aftertaste that isn't at all unpleasant.

People go ape for Fat Tire, but having had it, this might be the sleeper big dog out of New Belgium's regular offerings. (761 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +25.3%

Bottle poured into a glass

A: A very clean and clear yellow-gold with carbonation bubbles escaping to the top to be with their friends in the creamy head. Small whitish head with lacing.

S: Fruity esters and nice hoppy top-notes. Also so phenolics that give a spicy sensation. (Reminiscent of a good weizen.) Some perfumy notes from the hops.

T: The top-notes for this beer are strong peppery phenol and banana-rich fruity esters. Nice Pils maltiness. Uncharacteristic of the style, however, the attenuation seems to be incomplete leaving perhaps too much sweetness behind. It is balanced nicely with the bitterness of the hops, though.

M: Well carbonated leading to tingling on the tongue. Medium body. There is a pleasant creaminess that I presume is due in part to the high alcohol (in combination with the nice carbonation?).

Notes: I haven't been a huge fan of New Belgium's offerings in the past, although I do greatly appreciate their company's ethos and wish to support them. Buying this great beer will have to be how I show my support of their mission. This beer captures the essence of this style. (1,116 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +24.5%

Pours a nice clear golden color with some layers of orange. Two finger frothy off-white head with good lacing and head retention. Lots of tiny carbonation bubbles present.

Aromas of yeast, cloves, cramel and a floral scent, maybe roses. The smells are pretty big and beautiful.

Tastes of grapes, apples, yeast, cracked black pepper, and toffee. The hops a wonderful and are matched perfectly with the malt and yeast. This is well layered and almost perfect, every tastebud gets to take part.

It's tingly and spicey on the tongue with a buttery feel to the back of the throat.

I could drink this stuff everyday. It's so smooth and so well balanced and multilayered, that you can't put this stuff down. I'll buy again, and again,.... (735 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +24.5%

If certain steps could be taken to improve my happiness, and that of doubtless others, I can assure you that one would be to get more of this fantastic brew around and about us, in unfailing supply!
Appearance: a slightly hazy, bright golden hue, and a large, luscious creamy white head, that remains for a spell, then dwindles.
Aroma: an explosion of fruit and spice, a gorgeous blend, a veritable fruit salad up in the nose! Tropical fruits, mango, banana, peach, apricot, citrus: yup, all that! A heavenly delight, swimming in sparkling sweetness!
On the tongue, a burst, no a blizzard of hoppiness, a dervish dance on the tongue, flooding the senses! Excellent, generous texture. Rich, sweet malt, though never to the point of cloying. Candied, honeyed sweetness and spice abounds in this happy ale, and the flavor lasts and lasts, every portion of the experience compounding it's overall effect.
One of my favorite American beers. Now why doesn't Trippel have the cult status of Fat Tire, that's the next topic for the Armchair Philosophers Club... (1,057 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +24.3%

I have found my long lost love....A long, long time ago (1995 or 96)..i was in Colorado on business...didn't know a lot about micros at the time...I picked up a bottle of something that I thought was the greatest beer I had ever had....I couldn't remember the name...now tasting this, I think this is the one....and I like it just as much now....

This is an awesome tasting tripel..sweet sugar cane, honey, a touch of banana and bubble gum....but never oversweet...that's where the saaz hops enter the equation adding a nice subtle balance and spicy finish....

I really like this beer..One of the best trippels I've had...Nose is only average to slightly above average but everything else is fantastic...body is firm and tight....a nice alcohol spiciness on the long finish...

A must try beer in my opinion...

Thanks Bditty for really making my day....

(Note to self: acquire more of this to cellar along with their dubbel..) (940 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +24%

This is an excellent trippel. It pours a dark golden colour with a huge head of frothy white foam. Aromas are that of a classic triple. Spicy, boozy, yeasty, malty, hoppy, zesty, magnificent. The taste is a wonderful melange of the classic Belgian triple aromas rolled into one wonderful ball of contradictions. The mouthfeel is lush and creamy and the drinkability is excellent. Whoa! 9%abv, you could have fooled me! One of the best domestic triples available on the west coast...for sure! (491 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +23.2%

Smell is pretty much what I had expected; loads of fruity, banana esters mixed with a bit of coriander and alcohol.

Very light colored and clear in the glass. Small head with little staying power.

The taste here is very, very sweet. Loads of fruit, banana, and some bubble gum flavors as well. There's also a small amount of coriander perceptible as well. The finish is very good, with minimal alcohol apparent and with just a slight bite from the hops...but very minor. Lip smacking sweetness is there on the finish and lasts into the aftertaste.

This is a VERY tasty tripel. I'm very impressed with New Belgium, as usual. This could definitely be a go to beer as far as tripels go. (687 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +23.2%

12 oz. bottle with a best before date of August 5, 2004. Served chilled in a Duvel tulip and enjoyed slowly.

Appearance: Clear honey yellow liquid with a healthy white head of fine bubbles. Head is maintained quite well by a seemingly constant stream of bubbles in the center. Great lacing left on the glass. I have seen better, but not too often.

Smell: Peppery coriander, orange citrus, and medicinal aromas on the nose. Also just a titch boozy, but not horribly so. Grassy herbal hop undertones. A great sniffer.

Taste: Medicinal pepper smacks the palate, but then gives way to a light sweet malt. Clovey flavors and herby hop tastes in the middle. Faint banana esters on the finish. Very very nice.

Mouthfeel: Very dry, crisp and oh-so effervescent. Light bodied, gets that cotton candy mouthfeel as the beer warms.

Drinkability: Wow, this stuff kicks ass. Definitely the best of the New Belgium line I've had so far (a lone bottle of La Folie remains to be consumed on a special occasion). I wish I could get more of this stuff. I like it much better than Allagash's Tripel Reserve. One of the best, possibly the best, American tripel I've had.

Thanks to prAna for making this possible. (1,209 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Brewed with Pale, Munich and Victory Malts. Hopped with Saaz, Liberty, and Magnum hops with coriander.

Pours out to a finely hazy light copper, forming a large rocky whtie head with excellent retention and sticky lacing. Very thin fine sediment of yeast in the bottle. Aroma is wonderful with lots of bananas and cloves, chewy and sticky pale malts with lots of phenolic esters. Carbonation is moderate. Mouthfeel is spritzy and tickles the tongue, filling the mouth with fine bubbles. Medium bodied. Taste begins with mild spicy hops, followed by abundant yeast esters, cloves and bananas, followed by lightly sweet chewy pale malts with slight husken grain character. The finish is spicy and the clean alcohol adds a peppery zest. Slight astringency of lemon pith in the aftertaste.

A world-class triple in my book, this is an excellent representation of the style from one of my favorite breweries. At $7.29 a 6-pack, this is heavenly manna, and were it available in my area, I would drink this everyday. Highly recommended! (1,033 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +21.9%

After spending a year in London and trying all the best beers that Europe had to offer, I didn’t think that America could ever come close. But I was excited to try New Belgians because of my love of Fat Tire, and I must say that I am impressed.
Pours a cloudy dark yellow color with a large head, and takes a long time to settle. The smell is faint, but is like what you would expect with a hint of banana and other fruits. The taste is great, the same with the bananas and fruits with that little peppery kick in the end that I’ve come to love from trippels. Goes down very smooth with little aftertaste, except for a lingering of the effervescing flavor. Recommended to anyone who wants to try a trippel but cant afford the plane ticket! (743 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +21.4%

Lovely golden pour, with a clear, glowing body, and a load of very fine Champagne like bubbles forming a frothy head. The smell was wheaty and yeasty, with bananas and clove being quite noticeable. The aroma of coriander could also be perceived upon deeper breaths. The taste was fruity, and malty, with a touch of hop bitterness. Just a perfect balance of spice added a dryness to the finish. Creamy in the mouth with a tingly sensation due to carbonation. This New Belgium showing some of their best craft. I love it. (519 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +20.9%

Trippel pours a golden amber from a12oz brown bottle. Head is huge, massive and laces the sides of the glass with generous amounts of foam.

Nose is spice and dried fruit with floral hops. Palate is of clove and spicy pear, fig and plum with major malt sweetness. Trippel is balanced with a substantial amount of hops, that bathe the mouth with a delicious liquid floral bouquet.

New Belgium’s “Trippel” a “Belgian Style Ale” is a work of art. The stimulus to the senses of sight, smell and the palate, lull one into a repast of ease and well being, not often achieved by brewers in this country. (606 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +20.6%

Appearance- This beer poured a nice golden color with a huge 2 inch frothy head. The amount of bubbles was crazy. Like a champagne. Lacing was amazing and made nice little rings on my glass as I drank the beer.

Smell- Incredibly aromatic with wonderful smells of bananas and other fruits such as grapefruit and apple.

Taste- WOW. Nice malty sweetness up front with a nice hoppy bitterness in the finish. HUGE apple tastes were coming out of this beer. Also was able to detect hints of bananas(as in the nose). The 7.8% alcohol made this beer warming as well but was nicely hidden.

Mouthfeel- Has a nice medium body with a medium high carbonation. Very crisp and refreshing beer.

Overall- An incredible beer. Maybe not the best trippel I have ever had but ranks at the top. Once again here is the part where I say- Wish we could get this Louisiana. Hey New Belgium, if you reading this please start distributing in our state!! (931 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +20.6%

Pours a golden color with a slight white head. Smells sweet with a hint of hops. You smell the alcohol more than the hops. Sweet and strong in taste with a large variety of tastes mixed in for pleasure. Tart and crunchy. Light and drinkable... with a punch. I love this beer. When I buy it I usually hold on to it for a bit so that it conditions. I highly recommend. Seek out one of NBB's best beers. (400 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Small capped bottle, freshness date Mar 2008.
Beautiful looking golden beer, with two fingers of bubbly light tan head with not a lot of retention, but nice lacing coating the sides of the glass all the way to the end.
Very fresh, lively and powerful aroma, sweetish/candy-like, yeasty, fruity, minimal alcohol.
Velvety on the palate, it starts sweetish, warming up with an alcoholic bite, maltiness, fruitiness, biscuit hints and some "phenolic" touches close it up.
Very impressive, a nice american made belgian style. (521 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +20.4%

This classic Belgian abbey-style ale with a redesigned label initially pours an unimpressive pale gold, but the thick head and dense nose brings to mind cinnamon, ripe fruity banana, and clove/coriander. The taste is a bum-rush of spice up front, followed by a mellow maltiness, then a stronger alcohol sting (it's 7.8%). A perfect example of this style, and made in America. New Belgium's Trippel is a delightful and delicious beer. (433 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a very deep golden-orange color with very little head. A very floral aroma with fruits and spiced hops, very complex. A crisp clean taste which is refreshing. A little bit of spice in the taste mixed with alcohol . Up front is sweet with a finish that is sort of biting from the hops. One of my favorites from New Belgium !, Actually one of my top ten! (358 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +20.1%

I discovered this beer recently and because of the reviews I read on this site I thought I would try it. Man, am I glad I did. This is now my favorite beer. The only thing I can think of is the Coriander is what makes the difference. I have never tasted a beer that was so delicious. (283 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Another great belgian from New Belgium Brewing. Hazy white with a big foamy head. One smells the bubble-gum like sweetness of Belgian candi sugar, citrus, spice, and something very much like sourdough bread. On the palate, this beer displays a very pleasant contrast between its creamy texture and the spicy flavors of clove and hops, with a somewhat dry, peppery finish. Quite delicious -- one of the best American tripels and certainly one of the best values! This or NBB's Abbey ale make a fine introduction to Belgian beer. (532 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a great beer. Easy to drink. Real easy to drink and drive solid abv to boot. Not sweet like a draak or Piraat. But it is a style not a Belgium ale. I suppose there are rules. This is an American triple Belgium ale. It is awesome and crisp/refreshing as opposed to a true Belgium ales syrup sweet yeast bomb triple. If you switch from dipa to abby to moose drool in the same night then this will sit much better than a true Abby/Belgium ale. Great beer. Almost perfect. (476 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +20.1%

Pours a hazy peach with two full fingers of egg-white foam.Super clean entry supported by millions of tiny bubbles and a midtaste of tropical fruits and rich Belgian yeast.

Hops punch through, complimenting the palate-pleasing mouthfeel and adding additional complexity. Finish is highlighted with a unique yeast strain and wonderful residual sweetness left on the lips. Lacing delicately decorates the sides of a tulip as I quickly realize that 12 ounces is not nearly enough of this nectar. (495 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +19.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a New Belgium globe glass.
7.8% ABV, Best by 10MAR13, "Ale brewed with coriander."

A - Poured with the bottle's sediment, Trippel is faintly hazed from tiny floating particles but the beer is otherwise a relatively clear, shimmering golden color. A short, white one-finger head dissipates quickly, lowering to a skim of suds with plenty of thin lace caked on the glass.

S - Heavy sweet malts and honeysuckle open with aggression and dive right into powerful yeast with very fruity esters. White wine and grape aroma are at the forefront with a faint banana and clay hint followed by a strong earthy coriander spice finish. Stronger than most when it comes to potency, this tripel's aroma is spot-on in terms of yeast involvement.

T - The flavor of New Belgium's Trippel directly mirrors the aroma with the same sweet malts and yeast all over again, opening with aggression. Clay and banana notes stem from the Belgian yeast as do the white grape, wine-like characteristics that are aided, in part, by the spicy coriander and mild alcohol finish.

M - This earthy-feeling, full-bodied tripel is exceptionally smooth on the tongue and while it's balance clearly leans towards the sweetness of the malt profile, there's a balancing dry finish that keeps it from ever getting cloying. Moderate carbonation dances on the tongue through the subtly warming alcohol swallow that closes this beer.

O - New Belgium Trippel is an exceptionally delicious and well-made triple at a tasty price. The alcohol is kept to a lower level for the style without sacrificing flavor or nuances that are common to the style. New Belgium has one of the finer American-made tripels on their hands here! (1,706 characters)

Trippel Belgian Style Ale from New Belgium Brewing