Trippel Belgian Style Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Trippel Belgian Style AleTrippel Belgian Style Ale

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Tripel |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trippel Belgian Style Ale Alström Bros

1.04/5  rDev -72.7%

1.35/5  rDev -64.6%

I like trying all types of beers so I decided to buy a 6 pack of this new beligum trippel. It was without a doubt the most distasteful beer I have ever drank, I would rather have milwaukee's best then this. It has a strong taste of coriander and an alcoholic burn in your stomach from the high alcohol content. I was very highly dissapointed in this beer, so much so I made an account because of all the high ratings it has gotten! It has a floral taste like you are drinking flowers with coriander spice in it, all in all I would never recommend this to anyone! I don't pour it into glasses as I feel it destroys some of the carbonation, so I drank it straight from the bottle- regardless I had to go get another six pack after the first bottle. I do not recommend this to anyone, nor can I imagine why it is even produced and sold at local shops. But if you like your stomach burning and drinking flowers, go for it!

1.5/5  rDev -60.6%

1.75/5  rDev -54.1%

Poured from a bomber bottle into a Rochefort goblet. Looking at the label I now see that they recommend what looks like a tulip?

A- Clear golden, very transparent for a tripel. Very little head retention.

S- Wet hay, barn interior, cooked beets, little to no hops that I can tell, playdoh?? Odd.

T- Well what can I say? Grassy malt, lawn clippings, funk, slight sweetness but there's the beets again. Honey with mold on it or something. I'm not liking this very much. There's none of the qualities I've noticed in other Belgian-style ales. This is simply off-putting.

M- I'd appreciate the fact that a beer this clear lingers on the tongue more if it weren't for that damned beet flavor.

Well, I'm not a fan of New Belgium to begin with but I thought I'd give them another try since it was 3.49 for this 22oz bottle. Not impressed at all. I don't think I'll even be able to finish the bottle. I'm really confused since I know that a lot of people like them nowadays, so am I getting bad bottles or something? Truly awful. The rest of the bottle is either going down the drain or serving as the base for a marinade. I take that back, it's going down the drain.

1.78/5  rDev -53.3%

This beer is a poor example of the style, so I was exceptionally disappointed when I had my first taste. The appearance is light and golden with a thin head, and not nearly as captivating as true trippel's. The aroma is pungent and akin to what I'd expect from a Miller Lite if it were home brewed (which means better than the macro-style), with a little bit of that classic "Heineken" skunky smell, probably the coriander. The beer has a mild velvetly sweetness to it, with distinguished abrasrasive and non-complex pilsner malt and coriander flavors. They obviously didn't use an abbey yeast for this. I'm actually quite disgusted with this beer, and I love most beers (with the exception of brown ales which i do not prefer, but that's just my preference.) I feel quite conflicted posting such a poor review as others seem to enjoy this brew, so take it with a grain of salt.... but if you are used to anything even remotely similar to the Chimay Trippel, you will be dissapointed.

1.78/5  rDev -53.3%

Large billowing head that has extreme staying power. Loads of carbonation, extremely active. Ivory white head, plenty of lace.

Musky, and harsh malts are a huge distraction. I can't put my finger on what exactly is causing this reaction on my palate with New Belguim beers but this is no exception. Some hospital type flavor creeps into the picture, aspirin, damp towels to get started. There is a sweet backend to this beer as it gets back to being a tripel. Lingering aftertaste, sharp carbonation.

Notes: No need to keep going is there? Hands down one of, if not, the most difficult tripel I've had to date. However they do their malts at this brewery they don't agree with me.

1.83/5  rDev -52%

12 ounce bottle poured into a Chimay glass. Best before 10/23/09. Comes in at 7.8%.

A-Peach in color. Not very golden. Pours very clear. Minimal head which leaves a tiny white ring.

S-Belgian yeast, bread, fruitiness, and green grapes. The Saaz hops they use really gives it a Czech pilsner smell.

T-Belgian yeast and banana are the two dominant flavors as it hits the front of the palate. As it goes down I keep getting hit with a really off-putting vegetal taste that I just don't like.

M-Watery body and a little undercarbonated causing it not to have any sort of crispness. While waiting between sips I get a lot of sourness going in the back of my mouth.

D-The alcohol is well hidden, but the nasty vegetal aftertaste kills it for me.

I found this to be a very disappointing bottle. Would not revisit based on the vegetal aftertaste.

Trippel Belgian Style Ale from New Belgium Brewing