1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Trippel Belgian Style Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Trippel Belgian Style AleTrippel Belgian Style Ale

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Tripel |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trippel Belgian Style Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,120 | Reviews: 905 | Show All Ratings:
Satanic

1.35/5  rDev -64.5%

I like trying all types of beers so I decided to buy a 6 pack of this new beligum trippel. It was without a doubt the most distasteful beer I have ever drank, I would rather have milwaukee's best then this. It has a strong taste of coriander and an alcoholic burn in your stomach from the high alcohol content. I was very highly dissapointed in this beer, so much so I made an account because of all the high ratings it has gotten! It has a floral taste like you are drinking flowers with coriander spice in it, all in all I would never recommend this to anyone! I don't pour it into glasses as I feel it destroys some of the carbonation, so I drank it straight from the bottle- regardless I had to go get another six pack after the first bottle. I do not recommend this to anyone, nor can I imagine why it is even produced and sold at local shops. But if you like your stomach burning and drinking flowers, go for it!

02-09-2013 00:01:53 | More by Satanic
Yojimbo1941

Wisconsin

1.75/5  rDev -53.9%

Poured from a bomber bottle into a Rochefort goblet. Looking at the label I now see that they recommend what looks like a tulip?

A- Clear golden, very transparent for a tripel. Very little head retention.

S- Wet hay, barn interior, cooked beets, little to no hops that I can tell, playdoh?? Odd.

T- Well what can I say? Grassy malt, lawn clippings, funk, slight sweetness but there's the beets again. Honey with mold on it or something. I'm not liking this very much. There's none of the qualities I've noticed in other Belgian-style ales. This is simply off-putting.

M- I'd appreciate the fact that a beer this clear lingers on the tongue more if it weren't for that damned beet flavor.

Well, I'm not a fan of New Belgium to begin with but I thought I'd give them another try since it was 3.49 for this 22oz bottle. Not impressed at all. I don't think I'll even be able to finish the bottle. I'm really confused since I know that a lot of people like them nowadays, so am I getting bad bottles or something? Truly awful. The rest of the bottle is either going down the drain or serving as the base for a marinade. I take that back, it's going down the drain.

02-03-2010 22:53:24 | More by Yojimbo1941
DogFood11

1.78/5  rDev -53.2%

Large billowing head that has extreme staying power. Loads of carbonation, extremely active. Ivory white head, plenty of lace.

Musky, and harsh malts are a huge distraction. I can't put my finger on what exactly is causing this reaction on my palate with New Belguim beers but this is no exception. Some hospital type flavor creeps into the picture, aspirin, damp towels to get started. There is a sweet backend to this beer as it gets back to being a tripel. Lingering aftertaste, sharp carbonation.

Notes: No need to keep going is there? Hands down one of, if not, the most difficult tripel I've had to date. However they do their malts at this brewery they don't agree with me.

06-15-2006 03:06:40 | More by DogFood11
DocSkalski

1.78/5  rDev -53.2%

This beer is a poor example of the style, so I was exceptionally disappointed when I had my first taste. The appearance is light and golden with a thin head, and not nearly as captivating as true trippel's. The aroma is pungent and akin to what I'd expect from a Miller Lite if it were home brewed (which means better than the macro-style), with a little bit of that classic "Heineken" skunky smell, probably the coriander. The beer has a mild velvetly sweetness to it, with distinguished abrasrasive and non-complex pilsner malt and coriander flavors. They obviously didn't use an abbey yeast for this. I'm actually quite disgusted with this beer, and I love most beers (with the exception of brown ales which i do not prefer, but that's just my preference.) I feel quite conflicted posting such a poor review as others seem to enjoy this brew, so take it with a grain of salt.... but if you are used to anything even remotely similar to the Chimay Trippel, you will be dissapointed.

12-19-2010 04:49:25 | More by DocSkalski
mjl21

1.83/5  rDev -51.8%

12 ounce bottle poured into a Chimay glass. Best before 10/23/09. Comes in at 7.8%.

A-Peach in color. Not very golden. Pours very clear. Minimal head which leaves a tiny white ring.

S-Belgian yeast, bread, fruitiness, and green grapes. The Saaz hops they use really gives it a Czech pilsner smell.

T-Belgian yeast and banana are the two dominant flavors as it hits the front of the palate. As it goes down I keep getting hit with a really off-putting vegetal taste that I just don't like.

M-Watery body and a little undercarbonated causing it not to have any sort of crispness. While waiting between sips I get a lot of sourness going in the back of my mouth.

D-The alcohol is well hidden, but the nasty vegetal aftertaste kills it for me.

I found this to be a very disappointing bottle. Would not revisit based on the vegetal aftertaste.

03-08-2009 17:55:16 | More by mjl21
lonestar1836

2.1/5  rDev -44.7%

A: looks good, golden amberish yellow with foamy white head that diminishes faily qulickly

S: smells ok, very sweet with a lot of fruity aromas and quite a bit of dry alcohol scent

T: hard to take, the first sip was intence, there was a wave of banana then the dryness of alcohol...very dry

M: a little watery

D: it's a bit too much flavor for me at the moment

05-01-2009 01:47:36 | More by lonestar1836
ricke49

Oregon

2.1/5  rDev -44.7%

a = very clear deep yellow. no cloudiness to speak of
s = faint smell of the spice addition
t = this is where it started to really fall down for me. After 3 bottles, spread apart over about a week, I've concluded that I can not finish the 6-pack....so a triple drain pour is in my future (no pun). The taste is unlike any trippel i've had before. hard to describe, except to say 'sorta phony' and single dimensioned.
m = worst mouthfeel beer i have ever drank. absolutely no pleasure from swirling it around the inside of my oral cavity.
d = well...i made it through 3 of 6 bottles; but with that have reached my lifetime limit. I see no reason to drink this beer when there are hundreds of better belgian style tripples out there; most of which are refreshing, complex and rewarding.

07-15-2010 19:03:56 | More by ricke49
meeekyh

Colorado

2.13/5  rDev -43.9%

Poured from the 22oz bottle into a Belgian-style beer-glass.

Head is small and white, lacing is nonexistent. Beer is pale-golden with just a hint of orange and no haze.

Smell has hints of orange peel, grain, malt, banana and something of an over-toasted smell.

I think it is boring for a trip, sweet, grainy and that burnt taste this brewery seems so fond of.

Body is medium, carbonation light. Finish is slightly sweet. Aftertaste is burnt nastiness.

I don't really like this beer and am not inclined to drink it. There are many superior examples and, up to this point, none that are as lackluster as this one. And the kicker is that 'New Belgian Signature' burnt taste. Unless price is your only real basis for buying, get something else.

Slainte, but with something else.

01-15-2010 01:44:55 | More by meeekyh
bigmo66

2.15/5  rDev -43.4%

I've always liked the Fat Tire from this brewery even thought it tastes like dirt. I have also tried a few others and while they were "OK" I don't put them in the same league as other $8-$9 six packs that are available. Store had this Trippel on sale so I decided to try it as I really enjoy this style. Wow, was not expecting this, but to me it tastes like Schlitz Malt Liquor or some of the other corn-squeezins with high ABV. I have had dozens of Belgium Trips and this is not a good rendition whatsoever.

04-29-2013 18:56:29 | More by bigmo66
GreenCard

Oregon

2.23/5  rDev -41.3%

According to BJCP guidelines...

Aroma: nose of malt, coriander, and slight hop aromatic, some appley esters, pretty tame
Score: 6 of 12

Appearance: translucent gold, some haze, no head
Score: 2 of 3

Flavor: a coriander bomb, up-front malt sweetness, some mild hop flavor (Styrian golding?) and some bitterness, NOT a clean flavor break, somewhat awkward after-taste (metallic?), slight acidity, some orange flavor
Score: 11 of 20

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, good carbonation though not as effervescent as the style calls for, some alcohol warmth
Score: 3 of 5

Overall Impression: Not the best rendition of a trippel. Generally, I like what New Belgium has to offer, but I have noticed that they tend to be a little heavy-handed with their spices, particularly coriander. I feel the same about their Abbey bier.
Score: 5 of 10

Total score: 27 out of 50

02-26-2003 12:22:48 | More by GreenCard
marcellaproust

2.33/5  rDev -38.7%

Very disappointed, and I hate to report it. This is a 2009 bottled. Pours nicely; golden yellow true to type. Lacy head skims the top. Carbonation quite high, higher than for the genre, lending a lighter-bodied mouth-feel. What's so disappointing? For one, smell: none except a hint of vegetal, not fresh cut grass or flower stems but perhaps, several day old cut Carnation stems. Flavor totally lacks any yeastiness and doughiness, the principal reason why I love trippels. Instead, there's some sort of vegetal, metallic (or is it alkaline--the word itself suggests what I'm reaching for) base underpinning this strangely bitter lageri-sh tasting ale: the greeny parts of asparagus or artichokes followed by what amounts to (in my recall--those days are over) sour mash. That this is a great brewery with its politics naturally and concomitantly bound up with its fabulous products and facilities makes it really hard to censure any product. This is the second failure I've tasted in Lincoln. Perhaps Lincoln stores do not know how to store product or perhaps the runts of the litter end up here, given that most tastebuds here lean to the Bud and Miller and even more, Keystone interpretations of beer. I can't quite reason through this glaring failure of beermaking.

03-07-2009 00:43:04 | More by marcellaproust
sauron681

Wisconsin

2.33/5  rDev -38.7%

Pours a gold color, very clear, lots of carbonation, and a thick head. Has a sour and spicy aroma with hints of sulphur and noble hops.

Very lite mouthfeel, tart and spicy taste and very very dry. Lots of sulphur, cleaning solvents, and very astringent.

Overall this was a very boring beer, and not much flavor at all

09-01-2010 03:13:48 | More by sauron681
MJR

Missouri

2.48/5  rDev -34.7%

Appearance: Pours a warm honey color with good clarity. An off-white head starts out small and get's even smaller, shrinking down to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Lots and lots of coriander...too much to be honest. Under the heavy coriander blanket is a touch of fruitiness, honey, and a touch of Saaz.

Taste: Again, way too much coriander throws the balance off. Once you get past that, there's a nice, subtle fruitiness, as well as suggestions of honey and flowery hops. A touch of alcohol is present. A strong phenolic/medinical flavor appears towards the end and ruins an already unbalanced brew.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and crisp, with a medium mouthfeel. Finishes dry with a swipe of alcohol.

Drinkability: Not too good... This brew is way out of balance with the coriander completely taking over. Then, it get's worse with that bad, medicinal flavor. I won't be buying this again...

This could have been a bad bottle, but it's almost 7 months away from it's 'best before' date and I bought it from the refridgerated section of the store and put it in my fridge within a half-hour of purchase.

05-13-2003 12:21:20 | More by MJR
Icehouse57

Iowa

2.55/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I love New Belgium Brewing. I've loved every beer I've had from them. Except this one.

It was very clear, and a pale straw color. It looked nice, but should have been cloudier to be true to a Tripple style. Maybe some more wheat?

Smelled ok. No real corriander smell. Bready. Fruity.

Taste- Was ok. I don't taste ANY coriander. I was expecting some. More bitterness than is traditional for a Trippel. Not as malty, or bready as I expected.

Mouthfeel- Meh.

It was drinkable. But no more than about 3 in a session.

I was disappointed in this offering. I shoulda just bought a few Westmalle Tripple. I guess I was expecting this to come somewhat close, but it wasn't even in the same ballpark.

05-27-2010 01:22:48 | More by Icehouse57
harrymel

2.55/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed: 06/30/10

Poured from bottle to New Belgium tulip.

A: Great 1", whipped white head when poured vigorously. This head dissipated within one minute of pour. Ribbons of bubbles throughout. Light golden color with excellent clarity.

S: The coriander is a bit overwhelming in this one for me. Drowns out the malt for me.

T: Quite sweet on the tongue. Straw with coriander. Nothing impressive.

M: lively carbonation in mouth with low body. Semi-dry finish.

D: Seems like a decent example of a Trippel style, but nothing unique or great about the beer to me.

12-20-2010 06:17:19 | More by harrymel
fourplayed

2.63/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Clear lite honey color with thin white head.

Smells of citrus- oranges, herbs and some spice, yeasts.

Taste -A big complaint here, alcohol taste and presense is of rubbing alcohol..not pleasent at all. Citrus again, herbs and spices, good belgium yeast notes are there.

Medium body, medium carbonation, a bit watery, decent dry finish.

Overall, if not for the big rubbing alcohol presense this would be a nice introduction for someone trying a tripel for the first time.
bottles date is 20feb11.

11-19-2010 19:27:46 | More by fourplayed
beertunes

2.65/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured into sturdy chalice. Leaves a medium head with light-to- faint lacing. A dark straw leaning towards gold color. Faint spice and citrus aroma. Not as spicy or citrusy as others of the style. Taste is not overly distinctive. Lingering stickiness on the back of the tongue. Drinkability is OK, not as smooth as others of the style. That said it would be easy to quaff several of these at a gathering. This would be good to use as a "training wheel" beer to introduce others to the style.

12-17-2008 03:59:25 | More by beertunes
MaximalC

2.68/5  rDev -29.5%

Pours light amber (bordering on straw) in color with a modest white head that soon settles into a frogspawn-like array of bubbles. Aroma smells mildly of coriander and orange, along with a vague sweetness and a hint of alcohol. Flavor is also surprisingly faint, with palpable bitterness riding atop a stale, generic malt sweetness. What little coriander was present in the nose is barely evident in the taste (it would be fair to say soap is a more present component). Combined with the negligible carbonation, the mouthfeel is sorely lacking in texture and substance. The taste of aspirin lingers on the back of the tongue along with some grain. The unmercifully extended finish concludes with traces of cough-syrup, an ode to the nearly 8% alcohol that was pretty well concealed up until now.

Now, I love Belgian-style ales, so for me to be so thoroughly underwhelmed by this offering speaks volumes. I almost wonder if this bottle has exceeded its shelf life (the date on the bottle is 3 months ago to the day, but I don't know if that's the bottling date or the best-by date). Based on my experience though, one could readily skip this tripel and miss absolutely nothing in the process.

12-16-2012 02:08:56 | More by MaximalC
WhiskerWrangler

2.73/5  rDev -28.2%

A- Pours a dark gold color with a thin white head. Retention is low. Carbonated bubbles are strong. Very transparent.

S- Smell is almost unpleasant. The smell reminds me of a cheap keystone or bud light.

T- The taste took me completely by surprise. It tastes almost fruity, pear flavored maybe? Weird taste.

M- Very light feel, but FULL of an odd taste.

D- I dont see myself getting this beer again... I am a HUGE fan of New Belgium Brewery but I am very disappointed in this beer. I was expecting much more. But was not expecting the odd taste I experienced. I can see some people liking this beer, but can not see it being a huge session beer.

Overall, very unimpressed, and disappointed in this beer. Full of flavor, which I dont mind, but the flavor just seems off to me.

04-20-2010 03:37:26 | More by WhiskerWrangler
brewerburgundy

2.75/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

12 oz bottle poured into a sort of a goblet. Drink by on label.

A: Poured a spry, bubbly almost lager yellow. Slight orange, rich yellow tint. White head that got up to almost half an inch and promptly receded to just a ring and just present froth covering. A bit of lacing though.

S: What I can only comprehend as funk for the moment, having never had a Belgian beer. Rot? But in a sweet, beguiling way. I've read certain beers described as smelling of sawdust; and that is what I want to say about this. However, having been around sawdust for a significant portion of my life, I just can't say that is what I'm smelling. I'll reserve the right to edit if I figure this out. (ok, see below) Delicate apple fruit.

T: Bready biscuit as in Fat Tire. That same funky taste fills my mouth and lingers. I know what it is! Dirty socks. I taste funky, aged socks. Not salty, but plain grungy. Where are the Saaz hops? I only see them in a slight tempering bitterness on the back-end. Moderate maltiness.

M: After the pour I knew it would be near fizzy. Bubbles still rising after nearly twenty minutes. I hesitate to use the word creamy here. It is nearing full bodied but can make you think it is thin because of the carbonation.

O: I will not seek this beer out. I will continue to try Belgians, but I tonight I don't think funk is for me. If there were no such thing as a Belgian, it seems one would be hard pressed to distinguish this from a "spoilt" bottle of Fat Tire.

Edit 2 minutes later: After reading Jason Alstrom's review, he conjures some of the flavors that I could not. It is growing on me as it warms and I understand it more fully. I stick to most my words in general though.

10-22-2009 03:18:13 | More by brewerburgundy
StaveHooks

Oklahoma

2.78/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Pours a golden rose color. Small head dissipates quickly. A very striking beer.

S - Sweet tart candy, cherries, coriander, faint yeast in the background.

T - Moderate cherry fruit, coriander spice, candy sweetness, pale malt, tart pear, grassy straw. Finishes very sweet.

M - Low carbonation, slick.

Pros: Awesome cherry fruit flavors, Nice looking

Cons: Thin syrup flavors. Weak yeast profile. Cloying sweetness.

I probably won't be picking this up anytime. It was not my idea of a good Triple. Very sweet, thin, and boring. Those tiny hints of weak yeast don't cut it for a triple. They tried to compensate with the coriander but fell short. I guess not everything can be awesome. I still love this brewery though!

12-23-2010 20:39:10 | More by StaveHooks
KarlHungus

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a clear golden color. The head is a mere quarter inch in height, and recedes slowly into a small cap of lacing. The aroma is of citrus, barnyard, and New Belgium's signature malted garbage smell. Whereas the malted garbage is in the background of the aroma, it dominates the taste. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a lot of carbonation. Overall, I'm running out of new ways to describe my distant for the new Belgium malt character. I should probably stop trying their beers, because I have yet to like them.

04-04-2009 20:08:52 | More by KarlHungus
burnerfinger

A:

less than one finger of head. settled completley, quickly. Negative on the lacing. bright amber color, super clear.

S:
very mild clean scent, a bit like an astringent? can barely make out any aroma at all on this.

T:
same as the aroma: best I can come up with is astringent taste. not loving this at all

M:
Medium body, plenty of carbonation, not really smooth.

D:
cant really appreciate the taste here. I may have to find another to see if I got a bad bottle.- in which case I'll re-review. Based on the merits of this sample I am definitley moving on to another brew. In fact I may just leave this one unfinished...

08-31-2009 01:24:03 | More by burnerfinger
BillyPirate

Arkansas

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Bottle poured into a pint glass

A - Well carbonated, attractive golden/orange with a quickly dissipating white head, moderate lacing

S- Very pleasant citrus bouquet that unfortunately is not indicative of the subsequent taste.

T- Were coriander not mentioned twice on the bottle I doubt if my palate would have registered it. The overwhelming signature of this beer is certainly pepper. The peppery aftertaste sits prominently on the back of the tongue like a bookmark.

M - Pleasant but unable to overcome its general spiciness.

O- Much, much too peppery. Its militant spiciness makes it untenable as a session beer.

12-29-2012 20:23:13 | More by BillyPirate
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.83/5  rDev -25.5%

Bottle: Poured an hazy golden yellow colored beer with medium head and above standard retention. Aroma is quite sweet with some subtle spice also perceptible. Taste is a bit too sweet with too much candi sugar, which ends up covering most of the wheat. Spices are good but too subtle and again probably covered by the candi sugar. Carbonation is a bit low but body is above average. Alcohol is not discernable which is a great plus at 8%. Overall, there is too much candi sugar for my liking in this one.

09-10-2004 14:41:38 | More by Phyl21ca