1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Trippel Belgian Style Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Trippel Belgian Style AleTrippel Belgian Style Ale

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Tripel |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trippel Belgian Style Ale Alström Bros
3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

Don't get much New Belgium stuff in NY so I'm always eager to give some of their brews a shot while traveling. On my latest trip I found myself in Texas with a co-worker. I bought a six of the Wit and he the Trippel so we split them.

A- Pours very clear and golden almost the appearance of a lager.

S - Nose is a little stuffy, I do catch the faint of Coariander along with a slight whiff of something sweet.

T - A pretty decent Trippel. I personally prefer the Belgian brewed Trippels but have no gripes about this home grown brew.

D - Doesn't go down like a 7.8% ABV brew. Very smooth.

M - A good American Trippel. New Belgium does yet another good job with this brew.

Big fan of this brewery. Hoping to try some more before I depart TX.

tdawgydog, Dec 14, 2010

Kips, Feb 11, 2013

jspaner, Apr 12, 2014

mikediesel124, Oct 04, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -34.2%

TheZzyzxScarecrow, Oct 20, 2013
3.48/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a slighly cloudy, dull yellow body. Nice head, the bubbly body and head last untill the beer is gone. Smells malty, slight freshness, no hops. Tastes malty throughout, little hops, tart and spicy. Mouthfeel is clean, crisp and bubbly. Drinkability is good, but overall it's not my favorite tripple, too heavy on the malt.

danadeny, Feb 25, 2005

beerdhabelly, Oct 26, 2012

bgramels, Aug 09, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

Hophead420, Apr 13, 2013
3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear golden color. Has a medium sized white head that quickly settles to a film quickly. I notice lots of suspeneded sediment in my glass.

Smell: Has a great honey and floral aroma. I also pick up bubble gum and spices and a bit of pepper.

Taste: Tons of different flavors in this beer. Lemon, honey, pear, and a spices. Also a very light alcohol burn.

Mouthfeel/drinkability: Heavy carbonation and very crisp. Comes off very dry. I was surprised by this because I never expect much from American versions of Belgian style beers.

meatmallet, Sep 12, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -25.5%

Served in a bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours a golden orange coloring, fairly clear with a little bit of head.

S- Initially a strong malty scent followed by alcohol and finishing off with a little hops.

T- As with the scent it starts off malty and then there is a strong taste of alcohol. Can't really taste the hops in this though.

M- The strong alcoholic taste causes what many describe as "bitter beer face" Has a strong feel, but somewhat smooth.

D- Fairly drinkable. Would have it as a session beer, but 2 or 3 wouldn't be bad.

Overall the taste of alcohol is a little strong for me. Not enough hops and kinda malty. Disappointing offering from New Belgium.

Bagman007, Jan 02, 2009

boku56, Nov 15, 2013

nwatson, Oct 09, 2012

mbabble, Jan 18, 2012

Nyskizy, Jan 12, 2014

vancean2, Jun 03, 2014
3.3/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

I generally like the Belgian beers, but sometimes they are too cloying, I think this one might be on the verge. I liked it, but its not as good as others, such as Boulevard, that I have tried. I don't know if I would buy this one again, I have had this one several times, but decided to revisit it, and I pretty much got the same result. Its average or maybe a notch below for the style. The originators know whats what. Nevertheless, this is better than most, but not as good as others In my opinion. I am one to drink all styles and as of late, I like almost all of them with the exception of Imperial Stouts, et. al. Anyway, that is my opinion on this one.

A: Alright, kind of golden straw, but maybe a shade darker.

Smell: a bit rancid perhaps, but that is common with this style, a little funk there, but not as much as traditional Belgians.

Taste: Alright, but nothing to write home to mom about.

Mouthfeel: Beer, not flat, but alright.

Overall: Good, nothing special, but a decent gateway Belgian style beer for nascent beer drinkers.

humuloner22, Mar 01, 2014