Trippel Belgian Style Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Trippel Belgian Style AleTrippel Belgian Style Ale

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Tripel |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trippel Belgian Style Ale Alström Bros
Dmart1223

Colorado

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

This is the second time I've tried this beer. It's more complex than I remember.

It has a golden hay color and a thin, fluffy white head that keeps lacings around.

But the smell. Oh man. I have a cold and I was still knocked back by a concoction of fresh cut bananas and what I'm guessing is coriander.

The fruit doesn't hit right away. The beer starts and finishes with a slight alcohol bite (probably form the high ABV), but the middle is jam-packed with fruity flavors. This didn't taste bready to me in any way.

This beer is complex, hard-hitting and surprising. The smell and the taste don't match up as well as I thought it would, but both are quality on their own.

Good, interesting beer.

11-09-2011 02:44:12 | More by Dmart1223
tdm168

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

pours a pale golden yellow with 1/4" of loose, foamy head that has little retention. The nose smells of yeast and faint coriander. The taste is yeast, apples, coriander, and a faint lemony flavor. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, warm, viscous, and well carbonated.

Overall, not a bad beer. It's definitely underwhelming, but if you like affordable Belgian-esque beers then this is for you.

11-05-2011 23:59:07 | More by tdm168
DrinkSlurm

Connecticut

I bought the tripel, instead of the dubbel. Never trying either I was regretting my decision when I poured it out into my tulip. Looks like a regular beer...no crazy head, no special color, but some lacing lingers...
Smells of malt, and yeast with a cherry background.
It tastes a lot like a dark abbey (in my opinion). Not sure I taste the coriander though. I think they just put in in there so the bottle label looks neat, but I do sense a slight peppery aftertaste on the tongue. Cherry and chocolate notes with a malty and slight alcohol finish. Surprising bold flavor for such a regular looking beer. Not so regretful anymore.
This is where BA kind of lacks (not like I have a better beer reviewing website with thousands of followers), but here is a great tasting brew, that looks like a stella. So my review is lowered...are we that shallow that we care so much on looks? Yes. yes we are.

11-01-2011 04:32:07 | More by DrinkSlurm
Luigi

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours out a frothy two finger head in to my goblet. The retention is great and lacing sticks around glass. Golden color with a little hint of yeast partials, giving it a few carbonation bubbles.

Green apple, some white grape, some light citrus, a hint of bread from the yeast, and a hint of alcohol sweetness describes the aroma.

The yeast flavor hits the tongue first followed by spicy green apple and white grape sweetness. The malt and yeast pull through together to give a balance of soft bread flavor over the fruit sweetness. There is a little hop bitterness particularly in the finish which lingers a little then drys out.

This is a light beer despite the ABV 7.8%. As far as the body the ale fits the style just fine.

I hope the New Belgium Brewery keeps this year around because it is a nice interpretation of an abbey trippel that I can find at most supermarkets.

10-23-2011 03:46:56 | More by Luigi
IPhantom

4.9/5  rDev +28.6%

Another celebratory pouring (welcome to the East Coast) into a bellowed pint glass. Hazy golden, more yellow than I expected, with a slowly dissipating pure white head. Great persistent lacing that forms cloud patterns. Smells like canteloupe on rye toast...which doesn't sound that good when I write it down, but it totally is. Taste follows suit--any number of combinations of fruit and grain come to mind. Best way I can put it is something almost like pineapple upside-down cake with like a Campari glaze. Utterly captivating. Mouthfeel is light and crisp, nice carbonation and a slight bitter aftertaste that isn't at all unpleasant.

People go ape for Fat Tire, but having had it, this might be the sleeper big dog out of New Belgium's regular offerings.

10-22-2011 00:42:18 | More by IPhantom
oriolesfan4

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

Bought a bomber of this for $3.99.

Pours a clear yellowish color, small white head to it. Aroma is of faint hops. Taste is light to medium bodied. For being a high ABV beer, the taste is pretty subdued. While it's very smooth and drinkable, it just seems a bit light and only faint hoppiness. Pretty solid beer all around, wish it was a little more adventurous but a great price.

10-16-2011 02:00:27 | More by oriolesfan4
maximum12

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Well, having already matched my all-time record for futility (three bad beers in one night, though I wasn't trying this time), I'm going with something safe & calming; this can be mediocre at worst, right? Single picked up recently, at random, not sure why. But here we are. You better be good, dammit.

Pours translucent golden, lovely shade of precious metal, very clear. Head? No. Lightly carbonated. Smell is Belgian rock candy & strong coriander, citrus & orange make brief speeches.

New Belgium Trippel is a light, breezy Belgian that belies the almost 8% ABV. Sweet & crisp like a green apple that hasn't quite reached it's peak of ripeness. Spices reach into the gullet & take a bite, coriander, peach, orange, citrus, a mish-mash of light fruit baskets. Dry. Dry dry. Like the humor on The Office, except funnier. A lot funnier.

A tripel with nice depth, lots going on, but ultimately this one didn't quite hit my sweet spot. Technically probably excellent, but for me, just a run-o-the-mill good beer.

10-14-2011 03:05:29 | More by maximum12
LuthersMug

3.73/5  rDev -2.1%

A - Mixed bag here, very clear pale color, a little too clear, but the head was huge. Lacing pretty nice.

S - Faint smell of sour lemons alongside a musty, earthy scent.

T - A bit of spice. It was a little too hoppy, not enough malt for me.

M - Decent, but not perfect.

O - I was hoping for a little more from this trippel, but at the price it is a good deal.

10-14-2011 00:54:34 | More by LuthersMug
bubseymour

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Appearance - decent appearance with a nice 2 finger head

Smell - spicy and slightly hoppy

Taste - interesting tastes and I guess the strange flavoring must be the coriander (which I have no idea what it tastes like). Sort of unique flavors and very easy to drink for a 7.8% beer but not sure its as good a taste as I'd prefer.

Mouthfeel - ok

Overall - an ok beer with unique flavors. Nothing really noteworthy or complex for a tripel, but suprisingly easy to drink.

10-11-2011 00:04:54 | More by bubseymour
biglite351

2.95/5  rDev -22.6%

A - The color of ginger-ale. tiny slice of white head at the corners of the rim.

S - Hint of banana, yeast and some spice.

T - Similar to the scent. A banana taste, milt hit of spice, belgian yeast.

M - Thin feel but a bit of residual coating. mild tingle on front top of tongue, and on the right side.

O - Nothing actually bad about this brew, but nothing that would make me actually buy it again. Almost seems like a light beer to me.

10-09-2011 22:33:27 | More by biglite351
dcook11

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured into a tulip glass.

A-Pours a three finger soapy white head. Very unique carbonation. Seems to come up in a very narrow and aggresive stream. Loads of tiny bubbles rise to the surface.

S- Banana, belgian yeast, touch of funk, taffy, little bit of booze (slight), bubble gum, and just a kiss of hops at the finish.

T- Banana, clove, Belgian yeast, bubblegum.

M- Light to medium.

O- Not my favorite tripel, but a very good beer none the less.

10-08-2011 06:25:04 | More by dcook11
gtermi

4.18/5  rDev +9.7%

I have always enjoyed the New Belgium Trippel, but never reviewed it.

The appearance is nothing special, just a nice golden color with a little bit of bubbles coming from the bottom.

The smell is for this beer is amazing. It is very sweet and fruity. This does not smell like a beer that would be a 7.8 percent beer.

The taste to me is the best part of the beer. It is not the greatest tripel beer I have ever had, but for the price you cant beat it. I pick up a lot of fruity tastes and a lingering bubble gum tastes.

The mouthfeel is just okay to me. It is really crisp and just doesnt have anything that is smooth or enjoyable.

Overall this is one of the better beers from New Belgium in my opinion.

10-04-2011 06:44:37 | More by gtermi
hoppyweasel311

Color- Nice pale golden color with a decent frothy white head.
Aroma- Sweet cantaloupe, banana, bubblegum.
Taste- Subtle banana and melon flavors with a touch of alcohol... no coriander at all.
Mouthfeel- Good amount of carbonation, very crisp and refreshing.. This beer would be great on a hot day.. very refreshing.

10-02-2011 21:50:48 | More by hoppyweasel311
kylehay2004

3.48/5  rDev -8.7%

A:honey yellow colored, hazy with a single finger white head and not much lace.

S: lemon and a little spice note.

T: neither spicey or yeasty enough for my tripel liking. Some golden apple notes with the typical light lemon flavor throught.

M: light to medium body and moderate to high carbonation.

Overall: I think new belgium is an exciting brewery with a lot to offer the beer lover but they also need to make beer for the masses to please the wives and girlfriends tagging along, and that is what this beer is about for me.

09-28-2011 23:55:27 | More by kylehay2004
Beer4Baltimore

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

- from the notes, another New Belgium pickup on the East coast.
A - sun touched golden very hazy ale topped with a 2 finger foamy head that lingers.
S - a sweetness dominates the nose but a little spicy tickle is there as well.
T - I was a little underwhelmed by the taste. I've become used to more bold Tripels and maybe I am biased now. It just doesn't give the same kick as other tripels and lacks the intensity.
M - medium bodied with good carbonation.
D - a nice big glass will do you. It would serve best as a taster to demonstrate a milder tripel.

09-28-2011 03:53:24 | More by Beer4Baltimore
droomyster

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

22 oz bomber pours a hazy golden body with a white head with good retention and glass-clinging into a snifter.

Aromas are wonderfully "trippely" - chalk full of Bazooka Bubble Gum and cotton candy notes, as well as spices and a whiff of green bananas.

Tastes sweet but not cloying. Very rich flavors of pears and honey with lingering notes flower nectar. To me the hops are non-detectable but are just present enough enough to keep the beer from tasting syrupy. Body and weight are consistent with my favorite trippels. A very good beer in every respect.

09-27-2011 05:57:48 | More by droomyster
dedrinker

Kansas

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

Gorgeous golden hazy peachy color - I would have given it a 5 if it threw a better head.

Aromas of coriander and apricot, with the same in flavor. Some sweetness too.

Creamy medium body on silky time. finishes a bit sweet with some faint spice.

This is pretty darn good. And think about this - 22oz bottle is 3.99 at my spot, and only 3.4 ounces less than a Belgian 750ml that would cost 9.99 easily.

09-25-2011 02:37:32 | More by dedrinker
jgreenearrow

3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a golden color with amber hues. A thick, fluffy white head formed at the top of the pour. Some lacing remains on the sides of the glass.

S: Malt dominates the nose, accompanied by some citrus; lemon and orange peel. Spice of corriander is also present.

T: There is some bitterness at the onset of the sip that quickly smoothes into a malt backbone. Some slight citrus flavors enter towards the finish accompanied the corriander spice.

M: This is a light to medium bodied beer with good carbonation.

Overall, this is a good beer. It is very representative of the style. The flavors are complex and fairly well balanced with the exception of the slight bitterness at the front. The citrus and spice are a little overpowered by the malts, but all in all, a tasty beer.

09-25-2011 01:08:01 | More by jgreenearrow
pBRale

Iowa

From tasting notes 9-17-11
Poured into a snifter

Appearance: Very bubbly beer that is slightly cloudy, deep gold with a tall and creamy white head that settles quickly leaving several patches of sticky lacing behind.

Smell: A full aroma of fruity esters, picking up some apple notes along with some bready malts and a hint of alcohol.

Taste: Sweet initially, a little dry, but tons of flavor--a host of fruit including banana, apple, and peach as well as a nice malty presence and other flavors I can't quite place. A bit of alcohol detectable on the palate, but pleasantly so.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and a creamy, coating mouthfeel--very smooth. Medium-high carbonation, and a nice smooth, drinkable beer.

Overall: Very tasty beer with a creamy mouthfeel and a nice crisp finish. A solid trippel and another quality beer by New Belgium.

09-24-2011 20:40:14 | More by pBRale
andrewm190

3.48/5  rDev -8.7%

I didn't dislike this beer. It's about what I've come to expect recently from New Belgium Brewing. I'm not sure if that is a function of my tastes become more sophisticated or NB dropping some of their standards. I seem to remember loving all of their beers when I first tried them several years ago. At the time, they were mostly a Colorado brewery, now they have expanded, and I'm not sure they've kept all of their standards. In any case, this beer is decent, not a bad choice, but I wouldn't seek it out. Certainly, there was quite a bit of spice - otherwise I found the taste and the aroma to be strong, but not particularly unique or elite. It claims to be brewed with coriander. That's cool I guess, but it doesn't stop this from being a slightly better than average beer. For the price and the sexy art...I wanted a little better.

09-24-2011 07:24:20 | More by andrewm190
clayrock81

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a translucent orangish-gold w/ minimal head and nary a lace patch in sight. A spicy, citrusy, yeasty smell hits me as I swear there's more than a hint of corriander in here. I'm picking up some spicy pepper, a touch of alcohol/medicinal and a lemon/orange/sharp citric twang. This beer goes down real easy as it is smooth and surprisingly sweet. It's a like a sugary honey sweetness as well as some sweet gruits and this beer has a balance w/ some sharp citric notes and touches of bitter fruit - not tomention the dry/sharp finish thanks to the alchohol bite. I like the overall feel of the beer and for less than $4 a bomber it is cheaper than most triples but I just thought it lacked the depth of a top notch tripel.

09-23-2011 22:48:14 | More by clayrock81
gueuzer

Colorado

3.7/5  rDev -2.9%

12 oz bottle

App- Bright yellow color. Small clinging white head.

Sm- Yeast phenols, followed by apples and apricots.

Ta- Crisp carbonation that really amps the spics in the yeast. Coating light malt that has a sweetness that is a bit bready. Fruits are there but much muted when compared to the nose.

Ov- I always find myself comparing this to the recipe they brewed pre-2004. They just seemed to mute everything. Still good though.

09-22-2011 18:39:54 | More by gueuzer
rundocrun

Iowa

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured from 12-oz bottle into snifter.

A - Rich, almost iridescent honey-golden color with a finger of white head that fades quickly. Mild-to-no lacing.

S - Has the bright, fruity esters typical of a belgian ale. Much more maltiness and toasted character to this than it's NB cousin the Abbey Ale. Has a slight coriander and citrus note to it too, reminiscent of a wheat beer. Possibly some floral hop aromas rising up to greet me too.

T - Immediately sweet, intensely malty, yet dry. Has a pleasing bitterness toward the middle that does not attempt to overtake the palate, but balances out the complex malt profile. A zing of orangey citrus rides right along with the hops. Has mild booziness in the finish along with a tangy, sweet and dry honey flavor.

M - Medium-to-thin body, dry, crisp and well-carbonated. Incredibly smooth and drinkable for a near-8% ale.

09-21-2011 03:37:25 | More by rundocrun
Arithmeticus

4.55/5  rDev +19.4%

Poured chilled in flared ale glass

A: golden copper, beautiful head; two-finger head; clear
S: banana chips; sweet, strong aroma
T: sweet; bananas are very strong; spicing is modest, and the strong alcohol content is nicely paired by the flavor profile; little hopping; addictive; oh so addictive
M: vibrant, busy, active

Wow, this is an addictive beer; I wanted another immediately after my glass, but my codrinkers had polished it off

09-19-2011 16:29:52 | More by Arithmeticus
kshankar

District of Columbia

4.35/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a clear golden with a nice foamy head. Recedes to a nice cap.

Aroma is on the milder side, yeasty with a hint of the coriander.

Taste is yeasty, and sweet. The coriander comes through as well, but I'm not sure whether I'm tasting it because the bottle says its brewed with it, or because it is actually a major flavor component.

The mouthfeel is medium, carbonated well. Pretty drinkable. Coriander or not (didn't really taste it as much myself), it's a great beer.

09-19-2011 00:50:33 | More by kshankar