Trippel Belgian Style Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Trippel Belgian Style AleTrippel Belgian Style Ale

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Tripel |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trippel Belgian Style Ale Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

Light fizzy head, clear but sediment golden wheat color, lots of bubbles rising from the bottom.

Nose sweet golden Belgian malts, light spices, touch of light candi sugar, fruit with pear, apricot, apple, hint of booze and esters, light juicy malts.

Taste is semi sweet, juicy golden Belgian malts, fruity with apricot, apple, pear, etc. very light floral hops and light spices with a hint of coriander, fruity and light booze esters, light bitterness. Finishes a bit drier and light malt and Belgian yeast fruit, slightly sticky and fruity.

Mouth is med bodied, decent carb.

Overall pretty good, nice malts, fruity, hint of bitterness, juicy and drinkable, not too boozy either.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

12 oz bottle poured in a Pilsner glass

A- Two finger thick foamy white head, long retention but mediocre lacing. Orange-golden color, well carbonated.

S- Orange and spices, boozy. Smells very starchy.

T- Taste that spice. Coriander (like the bottle says...duh). Strange flavor, but I can hardly taste any alcohol. Very well balanced.

M- Swishes a bit strangely, it lingers syrupy. Not great in my opinion.

O- Very well balanced flavor, the appearance is lovely but I feel it loses some points in the nose and mouthfeel.

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter

A- A clear golden color with a small white head.

S- Light fruit, yeast, spices, a hint of hops.

T- Close to the smell, nice slightly bitter finish, spicy, nice yeast flavor, and good malt flavor, balanced.

M- Smooth, medium body.

O- A good beer that doesn't have too much going on. I will buy this again.

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

This is the second time I've tried this beer. It's more complex than I remember.

It has a golden hay color and a thin, fluffy white head that keeps lacings around.

But the smell. Oh man. I have a cold and I was still knocked back by a concoction of fresh cut bananas and what I'm guessing is coriander.

The fruit doesn't hit right away. The beer starts and finishes with a slight alcohol bite (probably form the high ABV), but the middle is jam-packed with fruity flavors. This didn't taste bready to me in any way.

This beer is complex, hard-hitting and surprising. The smell and the taste don't match up as well as I thought it would, but both are quality on their own.

Good, interesting beer.

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

pours a pale golden yellow with 1/4" of loose, foamy head that has little retention. The nose smells of yeast and faint coriander. The taste is yeast, apples, coriander, and a faint lemony flavor. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, warm, viscous, and well carbonated.

Overall, not a bad beer. It's definitely underwhelming, but if you like affordable Belgian-esque beers then this is for you.

look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I bought the tripel, instead of the dubbel. Never trying either I was regretting my decision when I poured it out into my tulip. Looks like a regular beer...no crazy head, no special color, but some lacing lingers...
Smells of malt, and yeast with a cherry background.
It tastes a lot like a dark abbey (in my opinion). Not sure I taste the coriander though. I think they just put in in there so the bottle label looks neat, but I do sense a slight peppery aftertaste on the tongue. Cherry and chocolate notes with a malty and slight alcohol finish. Surprising bold flavor for such a regular looking beer. Not so regretful anymore.
This is where BA kind of lacks (not like I have a better beer reviewing website with thousands of followers), but here is a great tasting brew, that looks like a stella. So my review is lowered...are we that shallow that we care so much on looks? Yes. yes we are.

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours out a frothy two finger head in to my goblet. The retention is great and lacing sticks around glass. Golden color with a little hint of yeast partials, giving it a few carbonation bubbles.

Green apple, some white grape, some light citrus, a hint of bread from the yeast, and a hint of alcohol sweetness describes the aroma.

The yeast flavor hits the tongue first followed by spicy green apple and white grape sweetness. The malt and yeast pull through together to give a balance of soft bread flavor over the fruit sweetness. There is a little hop bitterness particularly in the finish which lingers a little then drys out.

This is a light beer despite the ABV 7.8%. As far as the body the ale fits the style just fine.

I hope the New Belgium Brewery keeps this year around because it is a nice interpretation of an abbey trippel that I can find at most supermarkets.

4.9/5  rDev +28.6%

Another celebratory pouring (welcome to the East Coast) into a bellowed pint glass. Hazy golden, more yellow than I expected, with a slowly dissipating pure white head. Great persistent lacing that forms cloud patterns. Smells like canteloupe on rye toast...which doesn't sound that good when I write it down, but it totally is. Taste follows suit--any number of combinations of fruit and grain come to mind. Best way I can put it is something almost like pineapple upside-down cake with like a Campari glaze. Utterly captivating. Mouthfeel is light and crisp, nice carbonation and a slight bitter aftertaste that isn't at all unpleasant.

People go ape for Fat Tire, but having had it, this might be the sleeper big dog out of New Belgium's regular offerings.

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

Bought a bomber of this for $3.99.

Pours a clear yellowish color, small white head to it. Aroma is of faint hops. Taste is light to medium bodied. For being a high ABV beer, the taste is pretty subdued. While it's very smooth and drinkable, it just seems a bit light and only faint hoppiness. Pretty solid beer all around, wish it was a little more adventurous but a great price.

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Well, having already matched my all-time record for futility (three bad beers in one night, though I wasn't trying this time), I'm going with something safe & calming; this can be mediocre at worst, right? Single picked up recently, at random, not sure why. But here we are. You better be good, dammit.

Pours translucent golden, lovely shade of precious metal, very clear. Head? No. Lightly carbonated. Smell is Belgian rock candy & strong coriander, citrus & orange make brief speeches.

New Belgium Trippel is a light, breezy Belgian that belies the almost 8% ABV. Sweet & crisp like a green apple that hasn't quite reached it's peak of ripeness. Spices reach into the gullet & take a bite, coriander, peach, orange, citrus, a mish-mash of light fruit baskets. Dry. Dry dry. Like the humor on The Office, except funnier. A lot funnier.

A tripel with nice depth, lots going on, but ultimately this one didn't quite hit my sweet spot. Technically probably excellent, but for me, just a run-o-the-mill good beer.

3.73/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Mixed bag here, very clear pale color, a little too clear, but the head was huge. Lacing pretty nice.

S - Faint smell of sour lemons alongside a musty, earthy scent.

T - A bit of spice. It was a little too hoppy, not enough malt for me.

M - Decent, but not perfect.

O - I was hoping for a little more from this trippel, but at the price it is a good deal.

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Appearance - decent appearance with a nice 2 finger head

Smell - spicy and slightly hoppy

Taste - interesting tastes and I guess the strange flavoring must be the coriander (which I have no idea what it tastes like). Sort of unique flavors and very easy to drink for a 7.8% beer but not sure its as good a taste as I'd prefer.

Mouthfeel - ok

Overall - an ok beer with unique flavors. Nothing really noteworthy or complex for a tripel, but suprisingly easy to drink.

Trippel Belgian Style Ale from New Belgium Brewing