Trippel Belgian Style Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Trippel Belgian Style AleTrippel Belgian Style Ale

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Tripel |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trippel Belgian Style Ale Alström Bros
brewerburgundy

2.75/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

12 oz bottle poured into a sort of a goblet. Drink by on label.

A: Poured a spry, bubbly almost lager yellow. Slight orange, rich yellow tint. White head that got up to almost half an inch and promptly receded to just a ring and just present froth covering. A bit of lacing though.

S: What I can only comprehend as funk for the moment, having never had a Belgian beer. Rot? But in a sweet, beguiling way. I've read certain beers described as smelling of sawdust; and that is what I want to say about this. However, having been around sawdust for a significant portion of my life, I just can't say that is what I'm smelling. I'll reserve the right to edit if I figure this out. (ok, see below) Delicate apple fruit.

T: Bready biscuit as in Fat Tire. That same funky taste fills my mouth and lingers. I know what it is! Dirty socks. I taste funky, aged socks. Not salty, but plain grungy. Where are the Saaz hops? I only see them in a slight tempering bitterness on the back-end. Moderate maltiness.

M: After the pour I knew it would be near fizzy. Bubbles still rising after nearly twenty minutes. I hesitate to use the word creamy here. It is nearing full bodied but can make you think it is thin because of the carbonation.

O: I will not seek this beer out. I will continue to try Belgians, but I tonight I don't think funk is for me. If there were no such thing as a Belgian, it seems one would be hard pressed to distinguish this from a "spoilt" bottle of Fat Tire.

Edit 2 minutes later: After reading Jason Alstrom's review, he conjures some of the flavors that I could not. It is growing on me as it warms and I understand it more fully. I stick to most my words in general though.

10-22-2009 03:18:13 | More by brewerburgundy
mandoskippy

Wisconsin

4.18/5  rDev +10%

Picked up three of these on a four pack split with a buddy in Green Bay. My first impression is this is what clean drinkin beer should be! I really liked this beer, and may consider this a staple in my beer harem.

A: Clear golden color. Very inviting. Great head on pour. Stuck around for quite a while

S: Clean and clear is going to be a common thread in my opinions on this beer. The smell was clean, nothing that crinkles the nose, but it has a nice complexity that draws me to it.

T: Once again. Clean and clear. Something that did not offend any sensory aspects, yet didn't leave me feeling that this was a neutral or dull beer. Complex fruity notes, but nothing I could pin down or be to drawn to.

M: Bubbly and clean. It's like an orgasm for your mouth (not in your mouth... don't do there)

D: I could see this being a staple beer at a party or something along that lines. In addition, this beer would be a great beer for taking those pisswater drinkers into the world of great beers.

10-21-2009 01:19:02 | More by mandoskippy
hoplover82

4.15/5  rDev +9.2%

A-Pours an extremely clear yellow color that has a big, creamy white head that has good retention and very good sticky lacing.

S-The aroma has a nice balance of bannana and cloves. Both are strong but not overwhelming. Some sweet maltiness in the aroma too. fruity esthers as well as apples are there in the nose.

T-The flavor is just like the aroma, but with a touch of bitterness from some hops. WAY in the back I spy some earthy, spicy hops in the flavor, when I looked for it.

M-Has a full, effervecent feel with a dry finish. Very nice indeed. Nice hop bitterness lingers well.

D-This beer drinks very well for such a big beer. I highly suggest this beer.

10-13-2009 00:31:41 | More by hoplover82
crossovert

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

Had an Oktoberfest party today and this is one of the brews that was brought in compensation for me supplying the Oktoberfests. 12 ounce bottle, 7.8% abv.

Pours golden into my Duvel glass, almost looks like a dull version of Duvel. This just doesn't do it for me for a trippel. Nice lacing though.

Smells is spicy, clovy, with some banana in there. There is also some breadiness. Not anything too potent, average for a trippel.

Very spicy taste, not too sweet like others, somewhat reminiscent of Chimay though there is more bread flavor and a bit more of a watery mouthfeel.

I haven't seen many American brewers make any Belgian ales up to par. That being said this one isn't that offensive, but it is like a Tripel -light. Very Drinkable but not the most tasty tripel.

10-11-2009 01:07:28 | More by crossovert
hardy008

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a pale gold color with a small head with poor retention. Smells of cloves, bananas, citrus, and some sweet malt. The taste is the same as the smell. There is a lot of carbonation, and a light body. Not what I would normally expect a Trippel to taste like, but still pretty good, with decent to good drinkability.

10-07-2009 03:21:14 | More by hardy008
blaheath

Missouri

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

Pale golden in color with aromas of clove, bananas, and light bready malts. Taste is slightly under medium bodied/moderately carbonated with a faint banana and clove presence, very nice toasted/biscuit malts, subtle use of noble hops, and a short sweet finish. Very drinkable.

10-05-2009 21:25:01 | More by blaheath
BeelzeBrew

3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

A dark yellow, straw like color, if this beer were served in a glass, and held next to a standard Pilsner I may have trouble distinguishing the two. A bit of a unique look for me, as i tend to gravitate more towards darker styles, Overall an attractive brew.

Not much on the nose, other than the piney hops, citrus spices, and pleasant pale malts. Alcohol is detected but to no surprise, just take a look at the ABV%.

This is my very first Trippel, and call me crazy, but it reminded me of a Belgian Witbier, and almost an APA. Very piney on the hops and citrusy overall, there's some sweetness in there too, all of this, along with that warm burn of alcohol on the way down make for a great balance and it even leaves a spicy, enjoyable aftertaste.

Clean mouthfeel, with lingering aftertaste, after reviewing this beer, I'm going to the fridge to crack open another one. Very drinkable! and I look forward to trying more from this style.

09-28-2009 17:43:11 | More by BeelzeBrew
joozyboozy

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

12 oz bottle into a 16 oz beer.

the appearance is a beatiful vibrant gold, with moderate head and lacing as it dissapates.

the smell consists of citrus notes and alcohol. it is a fresh inviting scent.

the taste is good. citrusy, with a piny hop aftertaste. the alcohol is obvious but not overpowering.

it has a light body, smooth with a bit more than average carbonation. but i poured it slow so that might be why

09-28-2009 17:33:44 | More by joozyboozy
CHSLBrew

3.08/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A-Golden beer, clear and attractive with a bright, pale white head showing decent retention.

S-Spicy with a hint of sweetness and a nuance of sweet-sour fruitiness.

T-Slight honey flavor gives way nicely to a dry spiciness. Sweet bready malt lingers with the honey nuance into the semi-sweet, slightly bitter finish. Overall, though, the flavor profile and depth seemed to have slightly missed the mark.

M-Medium-bodied brew, a bit lighter than anticipated, with a higher-level carbonation, characteristic of this style.

D-Moderate. I was overall not too impressed, but that's my opinion. I think this could be a very accessible representation of this style and a good brew with which to introduce a person to Belgian-style ales. Although it isn't fantastic, it's also not overwhelming.

09-17-2009 20:33:31 | More by CHSLBrew
MTNboy

Germany

3.15/5  rDev -17.1%

It has a nice brass color with not much head but what little bit of head it does have there is a good bit of staying power. There are a lot of tiny bubbles in the body. It has beany aroma. It has a candy like taste at first, then some mild hops. The aftertaste is fruity. I thought it was weak for a trippel.

09-16-2009 22:25:18 | More by MTNboy
meatmallet

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear golden color. Has a medium sized white head that quickly settles to a film quickly. I notice lots of suspeneded sediment in my glass.

Smell: Has a great honey and floral aroma. I also pick up bubble gum and spices and a bit of pepper.

Taste: Tons of different flavors in this beer. Lemon, honey, pear, and a spices. Also a very light alcohol burn.

Mouthfeel/drinkability: Heavy carbonation and very crisp. Comes off very dry. I was surprised by this because I never expect much from American versions of Belgian style beers.

09-12-2009 21:13:18 | More by meatmallet
aristeros

Georgia

3.7/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my Chimay goblet. Really jonesing for a Belgian so I'm hoping this fits the bill. Pours a light golden with a slight red or orange tint, perfect clarity, very visible carbonation. Less than a finger of head and it settles fast with no lacing. Small disappointment there.

Smells yeasty, with some red fruit. Sort of a tart white wine quality that I wouldn't call citrus. Crisp and clean. Pretty simple nose for a tripel. No bananas, no cloves. Maybe this one's been on the shelf too long.

Flavor starts with a bit of citrus and sweet malts and has some banana and cloves on the back end. Very yeasty, which is appropriate. It's okay, but not in the same category as the better Belgians I've had.

Drinkability is good for the style. Alcohol is pretty well masked all around. Mouthfeel is good, crisp, finishes a bit dry, with active carbonation. This is about a 70-80% solution, but it's a worthy attempt and they're on the right track.

I'd give it a go after tweaking, and when/if they get it right, this could become a regular for me when I'm craving a Belgian beer. It's not there yet, but I remain hopeful.

09-12-2009 02:31:14 | More by aristeros
Squelch

United Kingdom (England)

4.15/5  rDev +9.2%

Appearance: Crystal clear. NO HEAD. Not to style...

Smell: I smell winey overtones with a slight cider and malt aromas in the background. Interesting.

Taste: Starts off sweet. Slight maltiness. Then comes the bitterness of the hops. a bit harsh, not too bad. Then get some wacky fruityness with a finish of ripe banana. Quite excellent flavor experience here in this beer with the multitude of different tasstes coming to me in succession.

Mouthfeel: Heavy, syrupy. Slight tingle from carbination. Should be lightened up a bit to fit the style

Drinkability: Very nice. A better hop selection might aid this as well as notching the grain bill down a few ounces.

09-05-2009 19:11:08 | More by Squelch
burnerfinger

2.8/5  rDev -26.3%

A:

less than one finger of head. settled completley, quickly. Negative on the lacing. bright amber color, super clear.

S:
very mild clean scent, a bit like an astringent? can barely make out any aroma at all on this.

T:
same as the aroma: best I can come up with is astringent taste. not loving this at all

M:
Medium body, plenty of carbonation, not really smooth.

D:
cant really appreciate the taste here. I may have to find another to see if I got a bad bottle.- in which case I'll re-review. Based on the merits of this sample I am definitley moving on to another brew. In fact I may just leave this one unfinished...

08-31-2009 01:24:03 | More by burnerfinger
JBogan

Nevada

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

This one is a bright golden colored liquid with a small white crown. A thin film remains and leaves a moderate amount of sticky lacing on the glass.

The aroma consists of herbs, bananas, cloves and yeast.

Taste wasn't quite as enjoyable as the smell. I appreciate when an American brewer attempts to approximate a Belgian beer and offers it at an attractive price. However, as so many have before, it's readily apparent that this beer is a pale imitation. The taste just isn't in the same league as most true Belgian tripels. That said, the taste follows the aroma, but on a subdued scale.

Mouthfeel was fine, with a medium body and a good smoothness.

This would be a nice introductory beer for people who aren't familiar with Belgian tripels. It offers a pretty good bang for your buck, and after trying this and finding it enjoyable a person might want to move up into the big leagues so to speak and try a true Belgian tripel. I'd have this one again, but only if I found myself short on money but with a big hankering for a tripel style beer.

08-27-2009 21:53:15 | More by JBogan
CrellMoset

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

Bottle that I got quite a while ago from Strelnikov - great trader, many thanks. Poured in to a pilsner glass.

Appearance: Pours a crisp, clear golden, capped by one finger of slightly off white head, with great retention (aided by the narrow aperture of the glass) that never really fades below a good near-half-finger. The lacing is impressive, incredibly fine where it clings on the sip side, splattered across the sides of the glass like blood at a crime scene. That's a terrible simile, I'm sorry. The non-sip side has more consistent cling, sheet-like but still erratic. The body is full of multiple streams of crisp, fine, and fast carbonation. A good start.

Aroma: A little too mellow, really, with only a handful of medicinal spices and estery fruits coming through. Cloves, green peppercorns, bananas, apricots, wheat, heavier citrus, mango, and a few tropical fruit notes blend in a far, far away land. I'm sure it would be more pleasant if it were more pungent.

Taste: A little "heavier" tasting than most trippels I've had, but that's alright. This one has thicker, honey-like malt backbone, relatively sweet, though with a number of quenching, mildly tart notes that attempt to balance the sweetness. Some herbal, green, almost minty notes, a few spicy overtones, and a handful of heavier citrus notes (though no grapefruit), bananas, peach, and apricots. The finish is very phenolic, cleansing, prickly. I like this more than I think I should, for some reason.

Mouthfeel: A very even body, creamy and smooth but still slightly crisp. The body itself is reasonably thick, but the sheer volume of carbonation - probably because it's so fine and well-dispersed - does a good job of cutting through what might otherwise be borderline-syrupy. Nice.

Drinkability: As I mentioned above, I think I like this more than I should. There's something about this beer that comes together reasonably well. It's traditional in many ways, though also diverges from the stereotypical trippel in a number of ways both good and bad. At 7.8%, though, it's also less alcoholic than many trippels, which does enhance the drinkability somewhat. A solid beer, and one I'd be glad to have again.

08-21-2009 01:54:30 | More by CrellMoset
pmccallum86

Pours a very clear golden color with sedimentation floating in the beer. Also a very nice head which dissipated somewhat quickly.

Smell is mainly of pear and other fruits.

The taste is refreshing. Just like the smell a primarily pear taste comes through first. Also banana flavor with very slight malt.

Good mouthfeel, thin with a nice level of carbonation. The beer lingers on the tongue very nicely.

This is quite a drinkable beer, at 7.8% alcohol it is surprisingly drinkable, the alcohol is hardly detectable.

Good Tripel, in my opinion one of the better offerings from New Belgium.

08-17-2009 05:05:01 | More by pmccallum86
JoEBoBpr

Missouri

3.78/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into a Chimay goblet.
A - Pours a nice strong gold straw color. With a .5 inch head that recedes quickly and leaves a thin film. The beer is a lot clearer than the Belgium ales from Belgium.

S - Smells of nice coriander with some hints of clove. There are some nice sweet fruit hints with some yeast after taste. Cloves are very present as well as some pepper and a slight pumpkin taste. Each taste is much more present individually than other Trippels I've tried which seem to have the flavors meld together more. There is also some alcohol present at the back end as well as some hop character.

M - Clean and crisp.

D - Refreshing and delicious.

08-14-2009 03:59:46 | More by JoEBoBpr
ThickestHead

Wisconsin

Comes a golden amber with a white foamy head that has good retention and lacing.
Smells of sour yeast, pears and banana, and a musky scent too.
Tastes of a mildly bisquit malt quickly covered by the sweet banana and cloves, yeast and alcohol are present as well.
Has a nice bite but is still smooth and creamy. Semi-dry.
Not a huge fan of the style but I definately enjoyed this brew, no complaints.

08-13-2009 02:07:32 | More by ThickestHead
gmfessen

3.48/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into my Chimay chalice, beer is a pale golden color with a sparkling white head comprised of many fine bubbles. Nose is fairly underwhelming, a light fruitiness and some spicy, banana phenols and hints of fusel alcohol. The taste has a general smoothness about it; starts out neutral and transitions to a mild fruity malt sweetness - pears and white grapes - and then moves to a mild bitterness and alcohol bite. Finishes neutral and a slightly sweet, warming alcohol sensation remains. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a fine beaded carbonation and a dry finish. Overall a decent tripel, not outstanding but decent. Goes down smooth and at 7.8%, should be respected.

08-03-2009 00:54:28 | More by gmfessen
benclimbs

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

poured into a tulip glass, looks very clear for arriple, a lot like martinellis apple juice, hardly any head but a bit of lacing, no noticable carbonation - most boring looking tripel I've seen.
thus far.

Smell is a little grapey and a little medicinal without the characteristic spicey, fruity, estery yeasts of other tripels

Taste is pretty pleasant other than the fact that the alcohol hits way too hard for only 7.8% it's a bit of muscat grapes/ golden raisins with a good clove kick at the bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is solid, and the carbonation seems balanced,

Only somewhat drinkable due to the noticable alcohol despite the nice taste

Notes: this doesn't hold a candle to le fin or karmeleit or ommegang or countless other tripels, hence the B grade but... For $7.49 a six pack, this is a damn good beer!

07-31-2009 21:59:35 | More by benclimbs
brewdoc75

4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

I picked up some Karmeliet at a shady liquor store the other day. Bad idea as it was in a green bottle and light-struck beyond recognition. This was my rebound tripel.

A: Clear yellow with some gold undertones. A highly carbonated head initially, but dies very quickly. Needs a bit fluffy look to it.

S: Pleasant honey like aroma with mild fruity esters. A hint of pepper. Very inviting aromas.

T: More of that honey sweetness rounding out to melon flavors. The sweetness is there but really not overpowering at all. The flavor is light, but strong enough to give it some character. The yeast rounds out in the end going from fruitiness to some pepper tones. I do get some faint nuttiness too. The yeastiness can be too much in some tripels, in this beer it is on the lighter side.

M: Light and crisp. Finishes very clean. Great carbonation.

D: I was quite suprised by this tripel. Karmeliet is one of my go to tripels and Flat Earth's Bermuda Triangle is probably my favorite. This is definitely number 3 right now. I like the fact that the yeast isn't overpowering. This is mainly my preference however. I will definitely buy this again.

07-30-2009 01:57:27 | More by brewdoc75
bonsreeb85

Colorado

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

A - very light/trans. golden color w/ a relatively small head for a tripel. some lacing.

S - very sweet- bubbleyum, apples, apricot, pear and peach. some spicyness too, corriander mostly perhaps some clove in the mix as well. smells inviting...

T - spicy and yeasty w/ fruity undertones are first up to bat. mild and welcome hops pull through midway and carry us home to a perfectly dry and mildly bitter close. excellent!

MF - very light bodied, but yet full flavored and highly carbonated(now I sound like a commercial) the bubbles bring a tingle to the tongue and make for a crisp and refreshing experience. (damn i am cheesy, oh well!)

D - easy to session despite relatively high abv. this beer is a no brainer for the price/style. why are you still reading this?? go get one!

07-24-2009 02:05:38 | More by bonsreeb85
mpyle

Maryland

3.7/5  rDev -2.6%

App - rich golden color, brilliant clarity. Pours a decent sized white head with mediocre retention (okay for a moderately high alcohol brew).

Aroma - Gentle spice notes from the yeast, maybe a bit of vanilla. No hop, and no alcohol at least when served at ~50F.

Flav - Alcohol tinged spiciness early. Gentle Belgian yeast character - no strong flavors. No hop. Finishes quite light and clean - very much a tripel.

MF - Light/med body, medium carbonation. Distinct alcohol warming, but pleasant.

D'ability - Light tasting, but alcohol character a bit too prominent for the style and for drinkability.

07-19-2009 17:01:59 | More by mpyle
Gavage

3.58/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance: clear golden yellow in color with a big 2" head that lasted a bit. Thick lace painted the glass during the session.

Smell: malt sweetness and some yeast spiciness were soft but detectable.

Taste: nice malt profile with some lemon zest, honey, pear, and a mild bitterness. Some alcohol was noticeable.

Mouthfeel: medium in body. Lightly crisp througout with some dryness late. Aftertaste was long as the flavor lingered in the mouth.

Drinkability: decent tripel but fell a bit short for me. After the glass was emptied I didn't want another.

07-12-2009 20:30:32 | More by Gavage