Trippel Belgian Style Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Trippel Belgian Style AleTrippel Belgian Style Ale

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Tripel |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trippel Belgian Style Ale Alström Bros

A: Clear pale golden color with a small white head. Lots of carbonation seen in the glass.

S: Malt and hop aroma with some belgian yeast funk and coriander.

T: There are some sweet biscuit malts with coriander spice and a somewhat grassy hop flavor with the begian yeast tang and fruity plum. The alcohol warmth and flavor shows up in th middle and carries through into the finish.

M: A higher carbonation gives this a spicy feel. The finish seemed a little bit slippery on the tongue with a heavier than average body.

D: A nice drinkable tripel. Good flavors and mouthfeel.

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a filtered, deep golden color with a white head. Also, the bar poured it into a pint glass, which should be blasphemy.

Aroma is banana and spicy yeast, maybe a hint of rosemary.

Banana is the key flavor note for me but doesn't overpower. It could be a little drier and have a bit more effervescence.

Overall, a good beer at a good price but don't expect miracles.

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

Fluffy 2 finger pale white head, stayed a good while. Nice half finger of dense lacing forming a continuous lace ring around the top of the ale. Im only bumping this to a 4.5 becuase of the awesome amount of lacing I noticed the entire glass that always caught my eye everytime I looked. A nice even covering stayed the entire time.

Nose, mmm.. now this one I enjoy instantly. This seems pretty true to the style and not a bad attempt just from the nose of this. Mild spice, and light fruit maybe pear and bananna crossed. Light and tasty.

Wow the after taste, finish is what I enjoyed about the first drink. Its somewhat nutty and bannanna bread, good fruitiness (and I dont like fruitiness). Nice amount of and variety of flavor.

This body is light to medium bodied at most. Lingering aromas on the palate for a while. Good bottle conditioned carbonation. Lively. Im not usually going out and buying NB, I was a gan of Fat Tire for a while in the beginning but this one changed my mind- I will pick up again for sure.

Good job, New Belgium.

3.85/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - beautiful gold with a thick, two finger, white head that lasted a few minutes and never fully retreated.

S - immediately this hit my nose with its hops. I honestly do not have the best sense of smell, but this one did wake me up a bit.

T - Hoppy, but not too much. Because of the smell, I was expecting more hops, but it actually hits the front of your mouth with a sweet orange twinge.

M - balanced carbonation and fullness.

D - I only had one, but wished I bought more.

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

S: Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Light golden color, slightly brown. Pretty good 2 finger white head.

T: tastes so smooth- I can't believe this is an ale. It's so clear and delicious.Not too hoppy... just a sweet beautiful malt taste.

M: Pretty good, could be thicker.

D: This could be a session beer - perhaps I'm too extreme but this beer is rather light on the palette.

2.13/5  rDev -44.1%

Poured from the 22oz bottle into a Belgian-style beer-glass.

Head is small and white, lacing is nonexistent. Beer is pale-golden with just a hint of orange and no haze.

Smell has hints of orange peel, grain, malt, banana and something of an over-toasted smell.

I think it is boring for a trip, sweet, grainy and that burnt taste this brewery seems so fond of.

Body is medium, carbonation light. Finish is slightly sweet. Aftertaste is burnt nastiness.

I don't really like this beer and am not inclined to drink it. There are many superior examples and, up to this point, none that are as lackluster as this one. And the kicker is that 'New Belgian Signature' burnt taste. Unless price is your only real basis for buying, get something else.

Slainte, but with something else.

3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

A - Clear, straw to gold color with small solid particulate floaties. Nice head initially. Dissipates quickly leaving some lacing on the glass.

S - Sweet caramel malt, fruity banana like.

T - Banana phenolic with sweet sugary finish. Mild bitterness. Alcohol in the end.

M - Tingly, light body. Alcohol "coolness". Numbs the tongue.

D - Drinks easily, but watch the ABV. Not too many.

Overall - Drinkable, nice complexity. Alcohol is evident, but for the ABV is hidden somewhat in this beer.

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured from a bottle into a half-pint glass.

A - Pale straw color with slight green tint. Very clear with a stream of bubbles up the sides. 2 inch white head (and it was not an aggressive pour) that quickly settled into a small cap that never goes away. Tons of sticky lacing.

S/T - Melon and banana aroma. Strong taste of sweet malt, followed by bananas and spice. Slightly bitter hop aftertaste.

M/D - Silky, creamy feel with faint carbonation. Sticky on the lips. Alcohol warmth. It goes down easily but the alcohol definitely decreases drinkability.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured into a goblet a deep golden yellow color with a finger and a half of white head that retained well and laced pretty well. Aromas were of banana, spicy and some alcohol. Taste was a bit grainy with some spice and the fruitiness. Feel was a slightly chewy medium bodied beer with some crispness. I enjoyed this beer very much as a beautiful local option for the style.

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip at 52F.

Pours a fairly standard deep gold with about an inch of foam. Little lacing. Aromas are fairly mild for the style, the expected sweet maltiness with a bit of spice and fruit. Taste is sweet and yeasty, with the spice there as well. Some graininess. Nothing too uniquely interesting going on, but at least it is not overly sweet. Alcohol is bit over abundant in the aftertaste, and there is little in the way of hops to balance things out. Carbonation is middling, perhaps slightly low for the style. Otherwise mouthfeel is decent, perhaps a touch thin. Drinkability is pretty good for the style though, especially given the fairly budget price.

Nice to keep a 6'er around for when you want a nice Belgian but don't feel like you want to concentrate on it too much that night...

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured 12oz bottle into snifter.

A: Pours a crystal clear apple juice hue that, well, looks a lot like sparkling apple juice. The small bright white head on top fizzed away too quickly leaving some patches of sticky lacing.
S: Very sweet sugar, a little citrus, bubblegum, Belgian spices, slight alcohol.
T: Spicy, fruity, and sweet. Notes of tangerine, ripe banana and coriander. Sweet malt flavor and some doughy yeast come in at the finish. Notes of sour apple, slight hops and alcohol as well.
M: Fairly dry finish with a bitter bite at the end. Some sourness to the aftertaste. Good carbonation but a little unbalanced. Even after it gets fairly warm not much more flavor comes out.
D: Not as sweet as some triples, but not as complex either. Probably won't buy again. Not a bad beer except for maybe the aftertaste, but there are much better trippels out there. Still, a nice attempt at the style.

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a lighter golden color from the bottle with a small bubbly head, carbonation dances as bubbles rise in the glass. smell is good, has a slight skunkiness to it,not sure if this is an old beer or just a part of its aroma, regardless has that distinct yeasty aroma to it, almost has a grape aroma to it, its very unique. taste is great, just has an awesome flavor, the high carbonation of belgians i think are my favorite because it just dances on the tongue and i like it. mouthfeel and drinkabily are high.

3.33/5  rDev -12.6%

A- It's pretty. Nice golden yellow. Nice and clear. Creamy white head and brilliant lacing, About a finger high. I still had hints of the lacing on my glass the next morning.

S- It smells fruity and sweet with hints of hops.

T- Tastes sweet with a nice hoppy bite.

M- Medium bodied, leaving a lingering film.

D- I found this to be pretty drinkable. There is a flavor that I can't describe. I'm not well versed with tripels, it may be a flavor that is a calling card of this style. Nice taste and light/medium body make it a rather nice brew with which to relax. My personal opinion is that the ABV is too high for a session.

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

Appearance has a nice golden color with little head, but good lace. Smell has a good dose of spice with tangarine and banana. Taste involves spices, citrus and sweet malt in the end, the alchohol is there, but not overwhelming. mouthfeel is medium bodied with good viscosity and carbonation. I'd say a good go at the style and very drinkable.

3.18/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured into my Duvel Tulip

Pours a pale golden color, absolutely clear. Amazing billowing white 3 finger head, amazing and pretty to look at. Dissipates slowly into a nice white lacing, lots of lace stuck to the side of the glass.

Typical belgian smell. Spice, coriander, a hint of citrus and malt.

Very little hop bitterness with a nice yeasty taste. The alcohol shows up in the aftertaste after its warmed up abit. A very typical Belgian trippel.

Decent mouthfeel. Nice and smooth.

A very nice Belgian style trippel. Definitely going to pick these more often when I get a Belgian kick.

3.38/5  rDev -11.3%

New Belgium Trippel

pours a clear pale yellow with a thin frothy head that doesn't do much except fizz and disappear. smells of sweet sugary malt, green apples, raisins, and spice.

the first sip is filled with the warmth of alcohol and spice, fresh green apples, cloves, bananas, and the spice of saaz hops. i usually go out of my way to avoid anything with saaz hops, but the bite is brief and it really wasn't as off-putting as i usually find saaz hops to be. heavy on the malt, it's very sweet and sugary. a slight bittering from the hops before the finish. the flavors jump out once it warms a little bit. ends biting, crisp, and dry. the flavor sticks to the tongue long after sipping.

i enjoyed New Belgium Trippel, but it's not my favorite. it was my first tripel, and after having the abbey and now this, i am less than enthused about trying othe belgian style beers, but then again, i'm no big fan of New Belgium either.

i had the last half of this beer with some pumpkin pie and it went together excellently.

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

Thanks to Einweizenbitte for his generosity with the trade!

A--Nice golden hue with some lacing, classic look of a tripel

S--Tough, my sense of smell is a little off today but you can smell the citrus in it

T--Certainly can taste some citrus, it has a bite that is a little strange, cant pick it out?

M--A little thin but good

D--Probably would not drink a ton of these, but certainly worth a try. Worthy effort by a solid brewery.

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Pours a clear, yellow color. 3/4 inch head of a white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of wheat, sweet malt, pale malt, slight hops, slight spice, earthy malt, and a hint of citrus. Fits the style of a Tripel. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of hops, earthy malt, yeast, slight sweet malt, citrus, slight spice, and slight grain. Overall, dominated by the earthy malt flavors (as is usual with NB beers).

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

A - clear light golden color with a thick foamy ice-cream-like head, nice lacing as it empties

S - sweet malt and bubble-gum yeast esters

T - malty sweetness hits right away and doesn't let go even into the finish, some hops noted but very faint

M - medium-light body with moderately high carbonation

D - This is quite a nice tripel for an American brewery. The abv is very sneaky in this one. I think this is perhaps one of New Belgium's best offerings.

3.55/5  rDev -6.8%

A- Pours a light golden yellow color. Head is white and a little less then a finger. Leaves little bubbles on top with some surrounding. Cool bubbles coming up from the sides of the glass to the top. Half way through I am noticing some epic sticky lacing! This beer is awesome to look at I can give it that.

S- Smells are very light. I get just a bit of light orange citrus. Some yeasty smells. Not much coming through.

T- Tastes of very light citrus flavors and some yeastyness. Boozy alcohol is fairly prevalent but not too surprised at 7.8% ABV. Maybe some ever so slight hoppy flavors but nothing to get excited about.

M- Bubbles tickle the tongue and the alcohol has a good bite going down.

D- Definitely a beer that I could have a few of, especially being as being a pretty cheap brew (~$1 a 12oz bottle). Plus, at nearly 8% ABV, I will starting feeling warm quick!

3.35/5  rDev -12.1%

Appearance - Clear golden

Smell - Slightly aromatic

Taste - Slight burst of flavor, not sweet, and a nice lingering hop bitterness

Mouth Feel - Clean mouth feel, lingering aftertaste

Drinkability - Pleasant and light in the flavor department. A good beer with a very light flavor - Cheers!

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from 22 oz bomber into a tulip.

Appearance: almost entirely clear light golden color with a thick, two-finger eggshell head.

Smell: malty up front with some very nice, though subtle, tree fruit flavors developing toward the end. Nice.

Taste: nice malt flavor with big apple and pear flavors toward the middle. It is an utter onslaught of fruitiness, followed by a little bit of a tart flavor which peters out toward the end. There is a little toasty quality of which I'm not a fan but it's not enough to put me off. This is a helluva tripel.

Mouthfeel: medium body with an OK level of carbonation. If this were just a little bit creamier ... it would be divine.

Drinkability: quite drinkable, no doubt. I think this will have to become one of my go-to beers.

I must say I'm not typically a fan of New Belgium brews; they usually have this toasty je ne sais quoi that I don't really like. This beer has a tiny bit of it, but overall it's damn good and, by far, easily my favorite New Belgium offering.

2.75/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

12 oz bottle poured into a sort of a goblet. Drink by on label.

A: Poured a spry, bubbly almost lager yellow. Slight orange, rich yellow tint. White head that got up to almost half an inch and promptly receded to just a ring and just present froth covering. A bit of lacing though.

S: What I can only comprehend as funk for the moment, having never had a Belgian beer. Rot? But in a sweet, beguiling way. I've read certain beers described as smelling of sawdust; and that is what I want to say about this. However, having been around sawdust for a significant portion of my life, I just can't say that is what I'm smelling. I'll reserve the right to edit if I figure this out. (ok, see below) Delicate apple fruit.

T: Bready biscuit as in Fat Tire. That same funky taste fills my mouth and lingers. I know what it is! Dirty socks. I taste funky, aged socks. Not salty, but plain grungy. Where are the Saaz hops? I only see them in a slight tempering bitterness on the back-end. Moderate maltiness.

M: After the pour I knew it would be near fizzy. Bubbles still rising after nearly twenty minutes. I hesitate to use the word creamy here. It is nearing full bodied but can make you think it is thin because of the carbonation.

O: I will not seek this beer out. I will continue to try Belgians, but I tonight I don't think funk is for me. If there were no such thing as a Belgian, it seems one would be hard pressed to distinguish this from a "spoilt" bottle of Fat Tire.

Edit 2 minutes later: After reading Jason Alstrom's review, he conjures some of the flavors that I could not. It is growing on me as it warms and I understand it more fully. I stick to most my words in general though.

4.18/5  rDev +9.7%

Picked up three of these on a four pack split with a buddy in Green Bay. My first impression is this is what clean drinkin beer should be! I really liked this beer, and may consider this a staple in my beer harem.

A: Clear golden color. Very inviting. Great head on pour. Stuck around for quite a while

S: Clean and clear is going to be a common thread in my opinions on this beer. The smell was clean, nothing that crinkles the nose, but it has a nice complexity that draws me to it.

T: Once again. Clean and clear. Something that did not offend any sensory aspects, yet didn't leave me feeling that this was a neutral or dull beer. Complex fruity notes, but nothing I could pin down or be to drawn to.

M: Bubbly and clean. It's like an orgasm for your mouth (not in your mouth... don't do there)

D: I could see this being a staple beer at a party or something along that lines. In addition, this beer would be a great beer for taking those pisswater drinkers into the world of great beers.

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

A-Pours an extremely clear yellow color that has a big, creamy white head that has good retention and very good sticky lacing.

S-The aroma has a nice balance of bannana and cloves. Both are strong but not overwhelming. Some sweet maltiness in the aroma too. fruity esthers as well as apples are there in the nose.

T-The flavor is just like the aroma, but with a touch of bitterness from some hops. WAY in the back I spy some earthy, spicy hops in the flavor, when I looked for it.

M-Has a full, effervecent feel with a dry finish. Very nice indeed. Nice hop bitterness lingers well.

D-This beer drinks very well for such a big beer. I highly suggest this beer.

Trippel Belgian Style Ale from New Belgium Brewing