Trippel Belgian Style Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Tripel |  7.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trippel Belgian Style Ale Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks to Einweizenbitte for his generosity with the trade!

A--Nice golden hue with some lacing, classic look of a tripel

S--Tough, my sense of smell is a little off today but you can smell the citrus in it

T--Certainly can taste some citrus, it has a bite that is a little strange, cant pick it out?

M--A little thin but good

D--Probably would not drink a ton of these, but certainly worth a try. Worthy effort by a solid brewery.

3.58/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours a clear, yellow color. 3/4 inch head of a white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of wheat, sweet malt, pale malt, slight hops, slight spice, earthy malt, and a hint of citrus. Fits the style of a Tripel. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of hops, earthy malt, yeast, slight sweet malt, citrus, slight spice, and slight grain. Overall, dominated by the earthy malt flavors (as is usual with NB beers).

4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

A - clear light golden color with a thick foamy ice-cream-like head, nice lacing as it empties

S - sweet malt and bubble-gum yeast esters

T - malty sweetness hits right away and doesn't let go even into the finish, some hops noted but very faint

M - medium-light body with moderately high carbonation

D - This is quite a nice tripel for an American brewery. The abv is very sneaky in this one. I think this is perhaps one of New Belgium's best offerings.

3.54/5  rDev -6.8%

A- Pours a light golden yellow color. Head is white and a little less then a finger. Leaves little bubbles on top with some surrounding. Cool bubbles coming up from the sides of the glass to the top. Half way through I am noticing some epic sticky lacing! This beer is awesome to look at I can give it that.

S- Smells are very light. I get just a bit of light orange citrus. Some yeasty smells. Not much coming through.

T- Tastes of very light citrus flavors and some yeastyness. Boozy alcohol is fairly prevalent but not too surprised at 7.8% ABV. Maybe some ever so slight hoppy flavors but nothing to get excited about.

M- Bubbles tickle the tongue and the alcohol has a good bite going down.

D- Definitely a beer that I could have a few of, especially being as being a pretty cheap brew (~$1 a 12oz bottle). Plus, at nearly 8% ABV, I will starting feeling warm quick!

3.4/5  rDev -10.5%

Appearance - Clear golden

Smell - Slightly aromatic

Taste - Slight burst of flavor, not sweet, and a nice lingering hop bitterness

Mouth Feel - Clean mouth feel, lingering aftertaste

Drinkability - Pleasant and light in the flavor department. A good beer with a very light flavor - Cheers!

4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from 22 oz bomber into a tulip.

Appearance: almost entirely clear light golden color with a thick, two-finger eggshell head.

Smell: malty up front with some very nice, though subtle, tree fruit flavors developing toward the end. Nice.

Taste: nice malt flavor with big apple and pear flavors toward the middle. It is an utter onslaught of fruitiness, followed by a little bit of a tart flavor which peters out toward the end. There is a little toasty quality of which I'm not a fan but it's not enough to put me off. This is a helluva tripel.

Mouthfeel: medium body with an OK level of carbonation. If this were just a little bit creamier ... it would be divine.

Drinkability: quite drinkable, no doubt. I think this will have to become one of my go-to beers.

I must say I'm not typically a fan of New Belgium brews; they usually have this toasty je ne sais quoi that I don't really like. This beer has a tiny bit of it, but overall it's damn good and, by far, easily my favorite New Belgium offering.

2.8/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

12 oz bottle poured into a sort of a goblet. Drink by on label.

A: Poured a spry, bubbly almost lager yellow. Slight orange, rich yellow tint. White head that got up to almost half an inch and promptly receded to just a ring and just present froth covering. A bit of lacing though.

S: What I can only comprehend as funk for the moment, having never had a Belgian beer. Rot? But in a sweet, beguiling way. I've read certain beers described as smelling of sawdust; and that is what I want to say about this. However, having been around sawdust for a significant portion of my life, I just can't say that is what I'm smelling. I'll reserve the right to edit if I figure this out. (ok, see below) Delicate apple fruit.

T: Bready biscuit as in Fat Tire. That same funky taste fills my mouth and lingers. I know what it is! Dirty socks. I taste funky, aged socks. Not salty, but plain grungy. Where are the Saaz hops? I only see them in a slight tempering bitterness on the back-end. Moderate maltiness.

M: After the pour I knew it would be near fizzy. Bubbles still rising after nearly twenty minutes. I hesitate to use the word creamy here. It is nearing full bodied but can make you think it is thin because of the carbonation.

O: I will not seek this beer out. I will continue to try Belgians, but I tonight I don't think funk is for me. If there were no such thing as a Belgian, it seems one would be hard pressed to distinguish this from a "spoilt" bottle of Fat Tire.

Edit 2 minutes later: After reading Jason Alstrom's review, he conjures some of the flavors that I could not. It is growing on me as it warms and I understand it more fully. I stick to most my words in general though.

4.18/5  rDev +10%

Picked up three of these on a four pack split with a buddy in Green Bay. My first impression is this is what clean drinkin beer should be! I really liked this beer, and may consider this a staple in my beer harem.

A: Clear golden color. Very inviting. Great head on pour. Stuck around for quite a while

S: Clean and clear is going to be a common thread in my opinions on this beer. The smell was clean, nothing that crinkles the nose, but it has a nice complexity that draws me to it.

T: Once again. Clean and clear. Something that did not offend any sensory aspects, yet didn't leave me feeling that this was a neutral or dull beer. Complex fruity notes, but nothing I could pin down or be to drawn to.

M: Bubbly and clean. It's like an orgasm for your mouth (not in your mouth... don't do there)

D: I could see this being a staple beer at a party or something along that lines. In addition, this beer would be a great beer for taking those pisswater drinkers into the world of great beers.

4.18/5  rDev +10%

A-Pours an extremely clear yellow color that has a big, creamy white head that has good retention and very good sticky lacing.

S-The aroma has a nice balance of bannana and cloves. Both are strong but not overwhelming. Some sweet maltiness in the aroma too. fruity esthers as well as apples are there in the nose.

T-The flavor is just like the aroma, but with a touch of bitterness from some hops. WAY in the back I spy some earthy, spicy hops in the flavor, when I looked for it.

M-Has a full, effervecent feel with a dry finish. Very nice indeed. Nice hop bitterness lingers well.

D-This beer drinks very well for such a big beer. I highly suggest this beer.

3.48/5  rDev -8.4%

Had an Oktoberfest party today and this is one of the brews that was brought in compensation for me supplying the Oktoberfests. 12 ounce bottle, 7.8% abv.

Pours golden into my Duvel glass, almost looks like a dull version of Duvel. This just doesn't do it for me for a trippel. Nice lacing though.

Smells is spicy, clovy, with some banana in there. There is also some breadiness. Not anything too potent, average for a trippel.

Very spicy taste, not too sweet like others, somewhat reminiscent of Chimay though there is more bread flavor and a bit more of a watery mouthfeel.

I haven't seen many American brewers make any Belgian ales up to par. That being said this one isn't that offensive, but it is like a Tripel -light. Very Drinkable but not the most tasty tripel.

3.74/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a pale gold color with a small head with poor retention. Smells of cloves, bananas, citrus, and some sweet malt. The taste is the same as the smell. There is a lot of carbonation, and a light body. Not what I would normally expect a Trippel to taste like, but still pretty good, with decent to good drinkability.

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

Pale golden in color with aromas of clove, bananas, and light bready malts. Taste is slightly under medium bodied/moderately carbonated with a faint banana and clove presence, very nice toasted/biscuit malts, subtle use of noble hops, and a short sweet finish. Very drinkable.

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

A dark yellow, straw like color, if this beer were served in a glass, and held next to a standard Pilsner I may have trouble distinguishing the two. A bit of a unique look for me, as i tend to gravitate more towards darker styles, Overall an attractive brew.

Not much on the nose, other than the piney hops, citrus spices, and pleasant pale malts. Alcohol is detected but to no surprise, just take a look at the ABV%.

This is my very first Trippel, and call me crazy, but it reminded me of a Belgian Witbier, and almost an APA. Very piney on the hops and citrusy overall, there's some sweetness in there too, all of this, along with that warm burn of alcohol on the way down make for a great balance and it even leaves a spicy, enjoyable aftertaste.

Clean mouthfeel, with lingering aftertaste, after reviewing this beer, I'm going to the fridge to crack open another one. Very drinkable! and I look forward to trying more from this style.

3.8/5  rDev 0%

12 oz bottle into a 16 oz beer.

the appearance is a beatiful vibrant gold, with moderate head and lacing as it dissapates.

the smell consists of citrus notes and alcohol. it is a fresh inviting scent.

the taste is good. citrusy, with a piny hop aftertaste. the alcohol is obvious but not overpowering.

it has a light body, smooth with a bit more than average carbonation. but i poured it slow so that might be why

3.06/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A-Golden beer, clear and attractive with a bright, pale white head showing decent retention.

S-Spicy with a hint of sweetness and a nuance of sweet-sour fruitiness.

T-Slight honey flavor gives way nicely to a dry spiciness. Sweet bready malt lingers with the honey nuance into the semi-sweet, slightly bitter finish. Overall, though, the flavor profile and depth seemed to have slightly missed the mark.

M-Medium-bodied brew, a bit lighter than anticipated, with a higher-level carbonation, characteristic of this style.

D-Moderate. I was overall not too impressed, but that's my opinion. I think this could be a very accessible representation of this style and a good brew with which to introduce a person to Belgian-style ales. Although it isn't fantastic, it's also not overwhelming.

3.17/5  rDev -16.6%

It has a nice brass color with not much head but what little bit of head it does have there is a good bit of staying power. There are a lot of tiny bubbles in the body. It has beany aroma. It has a candy like taste at first, then some mild hops. The aftertaste is fruity. I thought it was weak for a trippel.

3.94/5  rDev +3.7%

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear golden color. Has a medium sized white head that quickly settles to a film quickly. I notice lots of suspeneded sediment in my glass.

Smell: Has a great honey and floral aroma. I also pick up bubble gum and spices and a bit of pepper.

Taste: Tons of different flavors in this beer. Lemon, honey, pear, and a spices. Also a very light alcohol burn.

Mouthfeel/drinkability: Heavy carbonation and very crisp. Comes off very dry. I was surprised by this because I never expect much from American versions of Belgian style beers.

3.68/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my Chimay goblet. Really jonesing for a Belgian so I'm hoping this fits the bill. Pours a light golden with a slight red or orange tint, perfect clarity, very visible carbonation. Less than a finger of head and it settles fast with no lacing. Small disappointment there.

Smells yeasty, with some red fruit. Sort of a tart white wine quality that I wouldn't call citrus. Crisp and clean. Pretty simple nose for a tripel. No bananas, no cloves. Maybe this one's been on the shelf too long.

Flavor starts with a bit of citrus and sweet malts and has some banana and cloves on the back end. Very yeasty, which is appropriate. It's okay, but not in the same category as the better Belgians I've had.

Drinkability is good for the style. Alcohol is pretty well masked all around. Mouthfeel is good, crisp, finishes a bit dry, with active carbonation. This is about a 70-80% solution, but it's a worthy attempt and they're on the right track.

I'd give it a go after tweaking, and when/if they get it right, this could become a regular for me when I'm craving a Belgian beer. It's not there yet, but I remain hopeful.

4.13/5  rDev +8.7%

Appearance: Crystal clear. NO HEAD. Not to style...

Smell: I smell winey overtones with a slight cider and malt aromas in the background. Interesting.

Taste: Starts off sweet. Slight maltiness. Then comes the bitterness of the hops. a bit harsh, not too bad. Then get some wacky fruityness with a finish of ripe banana. Quite excellent flavor experience here in this beer with the multitude of different tasstes coming to me in succession.

Mouthfeel: Heavy, syrupy. Slight tingle from carbination. Should be lightened up a bit to fit the style

Drinkability: Very nice. A better hop selection might aid this as well as notching the grain bill down a few ounces.

2.83/5  rDev -25.5%

A:

less than one finger of head. settled completley, quickly. Negative on the lacing. bright amber color, super clear.

S:
very mild clean scent, a bit like an astringent? can barely make out any aroma at all on this.

T:
same as the aroma: best I can come up with is astringent taste. not loving this at all

M:
Medium body, plenty of carbonation, not really smooth.

D:
cant really appreciate the taste here. I may have to find another to see if I got a bad bottle.- in which case I'll re-review. Based on the merits of this sample I am definitley moving on to another brew. In fact I may just leave this one unfinished...

3.77/5  rDev -0.8%

This one is a bright golden colored liquid with a small white crown. A thin film remains and leaves a moderate amount of sticky lacing on the glass.

The aroma consists of herbs, bananas, cloves and yeast.

Taste wasn't quite as enjoyable as the smell. I appreciate when an American brewer attempts to approximate a Belgian beer and offers it at an attractive price. However, as so many have before, it's readily apparent that this beer is a pale imitation. The taste just isn't in the same league as most true Belgian tripels. That said, the taste follows the aroma, but on a subdued scale.

Mouthfeel was fine, with a medium body and a good smoothness.

This would be a nice introductory beer for people who aren't familiar with Belgian tripels. It offers a pretty good bang for your buck, and after trying this and finding it enjoyable a person might want to move up into the big leagues so to speak and try a true Belgian tripel. I'd have this one again, but only if I found myself short on money but with a big hankering for a tripel style beer.

3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

Bottle that I got quite a while ago from Strelnikov - great trader, many thanks. Poured in to a pilsner glass.

Appearance: Pours a crisp, clear golden, capped by one finger of slightly off white head, with great retention (aided by the narrow aperture of the glass) that never really fades below a good near-half-finger. The lacing is impressive, incredibly fine where it clings on the sip side, splattered across the sides of the glass like blood at a crime scene. That's a terrible simile, I'm sorry. The non-sip side has more consistent cling, sheet-like but still erratic. The body is full of multiple streams of crisp, fine, and fast carbonation. A good start.

Aroma: A little too mellow, really, with only a handful of medicinal spices and estery fruits coming through. Cloves, green peppercorns, bananas, apricots, wheat, heavier citrus, mango, and a few tropical fruit notes blend in a far, far away land. I'm sure it would be more pleasant if it were more pungent.

Taste: A little "heavier" tasting than most trippels I've had, but that's alright. This one has thicker, honey-like malt backbone, relatively sweet, though with a number of quenching, mildly tart notes that attempt to balance the sweetness. Some herbal, green, almost minty notes, a few spicy overtones, and a handful of heavier citrus notes (though no grapefruit), bananas, peach, and apricots. The finish is very phenolic, cleansing, prickly. I like this more than I think I should, for some reason.

Mouthfeel: A very even body, creamy and smooth but still slightly crisp. The body itself is reasonably thick, but the sheer volume of carbonation - probably because it's so fine and well-dispersed - does a good job of cutting through what might otherwise be borderline-syrupy. Nice.

Drinkability: As I mentioned above, I think I like this more than I should. There's something about this beer that comes together reasonably well. It's traditional in many ways, though also diverges from the stereotypical trippel in a number of ways both good and bad. At 7.8%, though, it's also less alcoholic than many trippels, which does enhance the drinkability somewhat. A solid beer, and one I'd be glad to have again.

Pours a very clear golden color with sedimentation floating in the beer. Also a very nice head which dissipated somewhat quickly.

Smell is mainly of pear and other fruits.

The taste is refreshing. Just like the smell a primarily pear taste comes through first. Also banana flavor with very slight malt.

Good mouthfeel, thin with a nice level of carbonation. The beer lingers on the tongue very nicely.

This is quite a drinkable beer, at 7.8% alcohol it is surprisingly drinkable, the alcohol is hardly detectable.

Good Tripel, in my opinion one of the better offerings from New Belgium.

3.8/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a Chimay goblet.
A - Pours a nice strong gold straw color. With a .5 inch head that recedes quickly and leaves a thin film. The beer is a lot clearer than the Belgium ales from Belgium.

S - Smells of nice coriander with some hints of clove. There are some nice sweet fruit hints with some yeast after taste. Cloves are very present as well as some pepper and a slight pumpkin taste. Each taste is much more present individually than other Trippels I've tried which seem to have the flavors meld together more. There is also some alcohol present at the back end as well as some hop character.

M - Clean and crisp.

D - Refreshing and delicious.

Comes a golden amber with a white foamy head that has good retention and lacing.
Smells of sour yeast, pears and banana, and a musky scent too.
Tastes of a mildly bisquit malt quickly covered by the sweet banana and cloves, yeast and alcohol are present as well.
Has a nice bite but is still smooth and creamy. Semi-dry.
Not a huge fan of the style but I definately enjoyed this brew, no complaints.

Trippel Belgian Style Ale from New Belgium Brewing