Trippel Belgian Style Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Trippel Belgian Style AleTrippel Belgian Style Ale

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Tripel |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trippel Belgian Style Ale Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +17.1%

Reminds me a lot of New Belgium Abbey, but with a more bitter taste.

A: Soft golden color with a beautiful head (don't poor too quickly, it wants to add head on itself).

S: Wonderful. Very complex mix of sweet and bitter.

T: Like I said, it reminds me of Abbey, but not as sweet overall.

M: Very smooth on tongue. Just the right amount of carbonation.

D: This beer is still a little sweet overall. I could drink 3 or or so in a row but that would probably be it for the night especially since it is 8.5% ABV.

smcreator, Apr 14, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +19.7%

A beautiful bright sunset orange with a large frothy, foamy bright white head that maintains to form throughout--nice first impression. The nose follows with a nasal-cleansing blast of fresh oranges, rose and apple peel, traces of Belgium spices and yeast and later some fresh malts. Crisp floral hops are noted up front, quick tastings of yeast, spicy hops and loads of coriander. Medium bodied and the same amount of bitterness. Sweet malts come through with a cotton candy felt palate. Crisp, sharp (Saaz?) hops towards the end with a more than satisfying mouthfeel. Alcohol is concealed, but certainly adds to the offering here! A great tripel--highly drinkable.

GeoffRizzo, Apr 13, 2007
3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

A 12 oz bottle purchased at Liquid Solutions.

A: The tripel is a pale orange color, closer to a dark yellow, with a thick head (3 fingers) on pour that recedes quickly and leaves no trail that it ever existed.

S: The nose is spicy sweet, with some candi sugar, honey and anise floating around.

T: The candi sugars add a very distinct, sweet caramelized flavor to the ale, creating a sweetness that nicely transitions to a honey profile. The sweetness finishes long, masking a fairly thin malt body in its intensity. As the sweet profile fades away, a slightly sharp pepper flavor wraps the taste up nicely.

M: The spice profile is sweet without being too sweet, it makes for a pleasing drink.

D: The higher alcohol is well hidden in the lush sweetness, this is a fair representative of the style.

akorsak, Apr 08, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

The first thing that I noticed about this beer was the hoppiness. This is very evident in the smell and the taste. Apart from the hoppiness, I really didn't believe the bottle when I read that It was 8.5% ABV. This beer is very tasty and crisp. Very clean aftertaste in my opinion.

jtslay, Mar 30, 2007
3.58/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours a five finger off-white head that fades quickly to a thin layer leaving a good lace. Clear amber color. Light carbonation and light-medium bodied. Malty/hoppy nose. Flavor begins slightly malty, some honey then some sour notes. Higher ABV is hidden. Best before Nov 2006. $1.30 for a 12oz bottle from Liquid Solutions Tigard, Or.

jdhilt, Mar 28, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

A very nice offering from NBB. Poured into my Abbey glass, formed a nice white head. Amber/copper in color, lots of carbonation bubbles, fairly clear, except for the floaty bits of yeast, which i enjoy, floating around in the glass. Smells slightly fruity perhaps a bit lemony. Tastes a bit sour, not terribly bitter, which is characteristic of belgian style ales. Very full in body, but also very easy to drink.

BigJTrucker, Mar 17, 2007
3.63/5  rDev -4.5%

Light yellow body with a slight golden hue to it. Nice light 1" white head on the pour, reduced down slowly. Lots of carbonation bubbles rush to the surface. I left the yeast in the bottle so the pour was nice and clear. A little lacing is left on the glass.

Nice aroma. Light straw and some lemon and pear aromas come out. A touch of pepper and corriander. Belgian yeast comes out to finish it out. Pretty typical of the style with no apparent faults.

Straw with some slight graininess forms the malting for this one. Belgian yeast comes out and compliments this well. Flavor lacks some of the fruit the aromas hinted at. Finish is grassy hops with the slightest flicker of bitterness. Pretty good flavor, not super complex and lacks that spicy element I associate with the style. On the upside though, no signs of the alcohol level and nothing that totally turns me off to this one.

Mouthfeel is okay. Medium bodied but a little overly carbonated. Flavor coats the mouthwell but the prickly carbonation beats it away.

Okay drinkability. A good example of an American produced Triple and another solid offering from New Belgium. Easy enough to put down.

blitz134, Mar 16, 2007
3.2/5  rDev -15.8%

A - this trippel lifts a huge white rocky head above its hazy yellow body, was surprised, the head faded quickly, well quickly for a belgian

S - a yeasty aroma dominates, with a some lemon zest scattered throughout, a slight swirl creates a distinct bubble gum aroma as well

T - the yeastiness is extant in the flavor as well, complimented by grassy and mellow hoppy flavors in the background

M&D - smooth and slightly tart, medium bodied, a decent trippel, among the better american versions of a belgian trippel, well done

sinstaineddemon, Mar 10, 2007
2.93/5  rDev -22.9%

Pours a cloudy golden amber with orange hues. Nice lasting bubbly head that rises and holds at a finger thick. Lot's of carbonation. Fine sediment floats around and I left most of it in the bottom of the bottle.
Smells musty yeasty and bready.
Grainy body in the flavor with some apple and green tea flavors mixed in. Alcohol is noticable in the finish. Herbal aftertaste.
Lot's of carbonation in the mouthfeel. It bubbles in your mouth.
Finished the bottle but that's all I want. I may drink this again if it were offered to me but certainly not one I'm searching for. There are just a lot of better beers readily available for the style to want this one.

wcudwight, Mar 06, 2007

A - A light amber hue to it, but looks most like a cider or apple juice. Really thick, creamy ivory white head.
S - Some light fruits, but smells like a Budweiser mostly.
T - The nose tricks you, making you think this brew is going to be a disappointment, but that isn't true at all. The fruits come out and so does some candy-like syrup. A light sweetness, but something not right about it.
M - A nice maltiness on the palate, but otherwise limited.
D - A little too carbonated and sweet to be drinkable. It's lacking somewhere, I can't really figure it out, but it doesn't seem to be there. This beer isn't what I thought it was going to be. I don't think I've had a Trippel before, but it doesn't seem to represent the style I expected.

Gatch, Mar 04, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

When I first started exploring Belgian brews, I found quadrupels and dubbels to be my preferences with trippels being drinkable but nothing memorable. After some time had passed and I had pounded my palate with sweet quadrupels and dubbels, I began to grow tired of the sweetness and the trippels became an appealing alternative. This is not my first New Belgium Trippel, so I already expect to enjoy this beer, but I've yet to review one.

I chilled this brew to about 45 degrees and poured it into my standard Stone Imperial Russian Stout tulip glass.

The liquid has a cloudy, deep golden body of an unfiltered apple cider. Its creamy white head descends from a finger width to a thick halo that sticks to the edges of the glass and encircles a milky white lace. From the surface, the golden liquid is only visible through the occasional bubble.

The odor is a refreshingly crisp mix of yeast, golden apple, malt, and a hint of phenols.

The flavor, too, is crisp and refreshing, primarily a mix of yeast, malt, and biscuit with subtle, complimentary hints of sweetness, nuttiness (pine nuts?), and a phenolic band-aid quality. The sweetness reminds me of golden apple or pear, but is too subtle for either of those to accurately describe it - the closest flavor I can conjure in my memory would be jicama. The alcohol is noticeable but remarkably smooth for 7.8% ABV. There is a slight burn going in but it melts away quickly, leaving a mild but lingering aftertaste primarily of malt and phenols.

Ironically, the example that has renewed my interest in a predominantly Beglian style was brewed in Colorado. I now feel compelled to try new tripels and retry ones I've had before. New Belgium's offering is highly drinkable and refreshing, yet has enough complexity and intensity to be satisfying on its own. I've yet to have a New Belgium beer I didn't like (although I hear their Saison is horrendous), and this is definitely one of my favorites, if not my favorite.

instrumentality, Feb 10, 2007
3.8/5  rDev 0%

12 oz. bottle poured into an oversized wine glass.

Appearance: This is a Tripel? It pours a very clear gold color. The initially .5-in. foamy head doesn't hang around too long.

Smell: Has a generally Tripel-like smell, but the flavors are very indistinct. Maybe a bit of florals or apricots are noticable.

Taste: Ok, this is getting better. Some nice fruit flavors (banana, apricot), together with yeasty/bready flavors. Crisp and nice malts.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with nice mild carbonation, but feels a bit light-weight for this type of beer.

Drinkability: Alcohol-wise, this one is a bit deceptive -- seems to have a delayed effect. You could certainly have a few of these in a session.

For one, this doesn't look much like a Tripel at all. Taste wise it's obviously not Belgian, but it's not a bad beer by any means. Personally, though, I probably won't get this again, as I know what I prefer with this type of beer.

mithrascruor, Jan 20, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

7.8% abv.

Pours out a slightly hazed brassy gold with a frothed milk head of a variety of different sized bubbles. Nose is pale malts, grain, candi sugar, spicy yeast, lavender and apricots. Flavor is great but not as complex as the nose. Has that typical New Belgium flavor, which to me always seems like toasted cocoa dust or something. Starts off with pale malts and a bit of grain which leads into a spicy middle with light stone fruits. Finishes a bit dry but with a slight medicinal alcohol that sort of numbs the tongue. Aftertaste is of apricots. Mouthfeel is sturdy in the way of the alcohol lending a viscous edge to it, but the candi sugars give it that lightness from the dryness of this beer. Good carbonation tingles the tongue. I usually don't find tripels all that drinkable, but this one certainly is.

Tripels aren't usually my style, but this is one I can get behind.

goochpunch, Jan 15, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

A great belgian tripel. The only other triple I've had was chimay. And this had a similar smell to start with, but there was banana phenol present. A great taste. Smooth, crisp, dry, awesome. I could drink this one all night. A good belgian at a great price. I got a six pack for 6.49. I'd rather have six of these than just one chimay for about the same price. Give it a try.

jasonjlewis, Dec 20, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from Growler a hazy medium gold witha largish head of foam that sharank fairly slowly leaving just a fine broken layer with plenty of lacing.

The smell is all nice and yeasty and fruity with undertones of sweet malt.

The taste is very fruity up front..dark fruit is hitting my taste buds very nicely. That's followed by a healthy yeast taste and a good clove and banana presence that builds on the complexity of this Trippel. It finishes fairly dry but I can still pull some malt sweetness out of it. Very good. I've been drinking the bottles for a long time and they never disappoint me but this fresh tap in a Growler really brings out the best in this brew. And all for under US$10 and that includes the Growler itself! Oh. and It would be remiss of me not to say that the 8.5%abv is hidden very well..just some warming once it's gone down.

Bottom line: A very tasty Trippel that is very good in bottles but is even better on draft. I highly recommend it.

Bitterbill, Dec 18, 2006
3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

Growler obtained from the brewery and consumed a couple days later. Allowed to warm to cellar temperatures. Pours a two finger light tan head of fine bubbles. Liquid is hazy light rust.

Smells straw phenolic. Sweet with caramel and banana. Earthy spice (can't come up with the name at the moment, but it's the tamer of the pumpkin pie spices). A touch of light candi sweetness.

Tastes phenolic edgy with an undelying sweetness. Buttery mouthfeel and a touch of diacetyl. Doughy yeast. Soured honey-melon. Sweet finishes clean, but the brunt edginess hangs on the fore of the tongue. I'm not a fan of 'funky' beers and this is a funky beer. Not extreme, but prominent.

Thick body and moderately carbonated. One was more than enough to remind me to stay away from these styles for quite some time.

mentor, Dec 15, 2006

Pours a delicious golden amber honey into my Ommegang Chalice yielding a firm 1/2 inch head that quickly vanishes. The nose is light and sweet with hints of orange blossoms and honey and a faint hint of hops, moreso than it's Belgian counterparts.

A well balanced taste with a light hoppy finish that leaves a bit of dryness on the palate. This is a pretty darn good version of a Belgian style that I love. A session Tripel?

gpcollen1, Dec 09, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -5.3%

This is my first taste into the world of Tripel ales. 12oz. bottle, with a freshness date of 09/14/07. Poured into a snifter, the ale poured a light copper, with a good 1 inch head, that left nice lacing along the glass. The aroma is mostly fruity, with a hint of alcohol. The mouthfeel is light and clean, and goes down smoothly. The taste is much like the smell, strong fruit flavor, but with a stronger taste of alcohol. A very tasty ale, but definitely a beer that I could only have one of during a session. A nice introduction to the style, and one worthy of more sampling. A good offering from New Belgium.

beeragent, Nov 28, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -4.5%

Deep golden yellow topped by a thick head that shows great staying power. Aroma is sweet, mostly alcohol with some very ripe fruit notes. Flavor is sweet, but also has some bitterness in it. Some fruity notes but a lot of alcohol as well. Seemed a little rough for a tripel; not a polished as some better examples. Mouthfeel is good, not thin, not too heavy. Drinkabilty is OK, but harsh forcefulness detracts from the desire to drink it often.

aaronh, Nov 17, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Golden yellow ale with thick head and nice lacing. Mild hops smell with a lot of rich aromas. Great, great, great, very complex flavors in this beer. Difficult for me to describe, but WONDERFUL!!! There is an after taste on this beer that i enjoy a lot, also very sharp refreshing taste. The drinkability of this beer to me is very high. Also has a very large ABV at 7.8%

CU570M, Nov 02, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

Light golden/yellow color – large inch and a half fluffy head – clear – a very lively beer.

Smells fairly strong – sweet fruity and hoppy bitter vibes – slight alcoholic

Heavy sweetness, like some nondescript fruit nectar – slightly bitter, but not very hoppy – slightly alcoholic. Leaves a nice little bitterness behind.

Fluid and tingly – a little thick – has a heightened alcohol feel.

I like New Belgium, they seem to have a consistently good arsenal. Trippel wasn’t bad. It didn’t strike me as having a distinct taste, just another Belgium style ale.

MrHungryMonkey, Nov 02, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +15.8%

After a number of dark beers, this one is very pretty. Light golden pale orange that illuminates the glass with a full 2 finger white head....melting slowly to sticky lacing that covers everything.
Aromas are light fresh fruits...peaches, nectarines ....belgium malt and bready yeast.
Clean, bright, fresh mouthfeel....again necarines, very pale belgium malts and pale belgium yeasts...biscuit like clean crispness with a sharp hop bite at the very tail end.
Aftertaste is lightly sweet with a warm alcohol feeling going down.
Obviously been too long since I've had a nice trippel...THIS is a nice trippel.
Many thanks to csims for this brew...wonderful.

IntriqKen, Nov 01, 2006
3.68/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours cloudy honey colored and orange with a good sized white head. Sweet white grape and raisins in the aroma along with some honey and straw. More white grapey-ness in the taste, a very little bit of lemon and a warming alcohol. This beer was not at all like a tripel to me. Most of the characteristics I would usually associate with the style were not present. More than anything it was like a strong malty beer, almost like a bock. Nevertheless it was enjoyable, just unexpected.

hoppymeal, Oct 15, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +19.2%

Pours a lightly hazy bright gold with a dense ivory head and sheeting lace on the walls of my Chimay goblet. Smells of sweet pale malt and light sweet spice.

Tastes quite bitter. Spicy noble hops, lemon peel, biscuity pale malt, peppery spice. Mouth is sweetish but not sticky. There's a driness in the finish that hold sthe sweetness at bay. Full bodied and the hops linger in the aftertaste. Really good stuff. A wow beer for me.

ViveLaChouffe, Oct 12, 2006
4.15/5  rDev +9.2%

It has been a few years since I have had this so I picked up a bottle at Cost Plus World Market in late June for $1.49. Best before March 2007.

Beer poured a deep golden color with a small head leaving a lacing in my Duvel glass. Nose is a sweet pleasant smell, of light fruits. Taste is influenced by the Belgian yeast. It is a nice blend of fruits and European hops. Mouthfeel is what makes this beer for me. It has an extremely pleasant creamy smoothness as it passes over my palate. Drinkability is very good as New Belgium has done an excellect job of masking the abv and creating another very solid brew.

arizcards, Oct 07, 2006