Trippel Belgian Style Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Tripel |  7.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trippel Belgian Style Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 975 | Hads: 2,747
4.32/5  rDev +12.8%

This is such a unique and complex beer that I recommend going to the New Belgium website to read what they say about it's attributes. Also, don't review this beer if your a pussy because I'm getting the impression from a lot of reviews on this beer that the people reviewing it are expecting something that would appeal to their Budweiser accustomed palates just because it's not a hop forward beer. If you review this beer poorly, you don't like beer at all and you should be banned from beer advocate!

Look: This beer looks gorgeous. It's a light gold color with a slight hazyness because it's from the bottle.

Smell: The smell is very appealing and the New Belgium website sums it up perfectly in a way I would not have been able to: "Phenolic (clove-like, spicy, warm, herbal) slight banana ester aromas."

Taste: The taste is warm, sweet, fruity, and delicious. I am an IPA fanatic but this is a nice and tasty beer. I taste something akin to banana and cream, with just a hint of the zest the coriander imparts on the overall flavor profile.

Feel: This beer has the best mouth feel of any beer I have tried; extremely creamy and soft.

Overall: This is a go-to beer for me. You can buy it year round and it works in any season. I have much respect for it, and very little respect for the fools who rate this beer low because it proves they don't know what a good beer is. If you see a low rating for this beer, the person who wrote the review prefers Budweiser and therefore does not enjoy real beer and shouldn't be on beer advocate! Grab it and thank me. Oh, and by the way, this beer has an astounding shelf-life. The six pack I picked up is good until October 21, 2015! Thank you New Belgium, and keep up the good work.

2.01/5  rDev -47.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.25

Pours too clear for a triple - red lights go off / no real head or lacing worth noting / funk smell - farmhouse maybe / no such luck on taste - more like a third than a triple - big disappointment - way too metallic / decent carbonation but who cares at this point / being a BIG Belgian Abby Triple fan I'd say this is almost laughable & would turn folks off to the thought of a triple - bummer dude

2.15/5  rDev -43.9%

This swill is going to give trippels a bad name. I didn't like it 10 years ago but decided to try it again since it had the chickens on the 6 pack now, lol.
If a cut rate (cheap ass) candy maker decided to make a trippel flavored bubble gum this is exactly what it would taste like. Has a weird, candied tutti frutti taste to it.
Now I have to drink the other 5 bottles... life can suck at times.
BTW: I F'ing LOVE a quality Belgian Trippel.

3.2/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

How this has a better rating than Left Hands St. Vrain is beyond me. Not bad but it doesnt have the smell, alcohol content or taste of higher quality Tripels.

3.32/5  rDev -13.3%

Look: Dark orange. Minimal head. Nice bubbles. Nothing terribly special.

Smell: Little to no smell. Perhaps a little spice.

Taste: Interesting coriander aftertaste, however initial taste is pretty bland.

Feel: Quite weak.

Overall: Interesting beer. Quite drinkable. However, there are much better trippels on the market.

3.62/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A not-so-usual clear orange pour, small white head, quick to some poor bubbles here and there.
Smell sets it back on track, big coriander and clove, with some faint funky pinches. An almost bubblegumy fruitiness (apricot, apple, pear, light quince, banana), glazed in honey but also extra some malt sweetness, without being too much.
Mouthful of banana and apricot, sticky sweet with lots of honey and some light caramel. The banana is really strong, kinda sugar coated, not the best kind of sweetness. Apple and pear are pretty low, with a faint acidity that's totally overwhelmed. Some coriander, citrus peel, pepper and clove try to cut off the sweetness, even some mildly funky herbs, but the finish is still syrupy.
Aftertaste has sugars, apple peel, bit of blond fruit, citrus peel, soft spices. Medium body, feels prickly just because of the spicy yeasts, otherwise it's almost flat.
A sweet Belgian-style ale that unfortunately can't hold a candle to the ones back in Europe, not to mention tripels in particular. Too syrupy sweet, overimposed spiciness. I might be too harsh, it's decent, but i expected something.. smarter.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - 3.75/5
Pours a fairly clear light orange. Minimal to no head. A sparse amount of carbonation bubbles rise slowy to the top. I would have liked more head on this beer.

Smell - 3.75/5
A bready, spicy, saison-esqe smell. Some alcohol smell as well as bananas. Overall, a nice smell, the bready/spiciness is nice.

Taste - 4/5
Breadiness and spiciness, bananas, some alcohol, a small amount of hops. Some malty sweetness. Overall, the beer is moderately sweet, and fairly spicy. Not my personal favorite style of taste, but it seems like it pulls it off well.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
The beer is very crisp. There is a very light amount of medium-strong intensity carbonation. The beer has a medium-light body.

Overall - 3.75/5
This tasted in between a saison and a tripel. The saison taste is not my favorite (nor is the trippel for that matter), so in terms of my personal taste preferences, this isn't a beer I would often drink. But it seems like a well-made beer, which would be greatly enjoyed by those who love the particular styles involved.

4.17/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a tulip. There was a bit of grain husk in my bottle!

Golden ale with more clarity than most trippels I've had, even after adding the sediment. Smell was of bubblegum, coriander, banana and a hint of vanilla. Taste follows the aroma and was very bubblegum forward. Hop bitterness is very low. Quite sweet.

Overall, a decent trippel, but not quite as good as a true Belgian.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The appearance is golden with a thin sticky bright white head. The nose produces tones of Belgian yeast, bubblegum, wheat, grains, smoke and hops.

The flavor is grainy at first, than bubblegum-like sweetness, Apple juice, pear and then ends twangy, yeasts and dry.

Never been a big fan of Trippels but I found this easy to drink and lacking that awful clove.

3.49/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Light brew with very thin head, lots of carbonation bubbles rising. Not much odor, really need to stick your nose in to get that "trippel" odor. Slight floral taste mixed with belgan wheat , alcohol flavor bites you at the end and then fades into some weird aftertaste. I'm not overly impressed

4.21/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a great, accessible tripel, especially if you've never tried a Belgian tripel. It's one of my go-to beers, especially in the summer. Great balance of hop bitterness and Belgian yeast flavor. Nice spiciness from the coriander.

3.79/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear golden color with thick rocky offwhite colored head, sheet of thin lace halfway down the glass. Smell: grape, apricot and floral notes, pale malt sweetness and lots of coriander. Taste: sugary malt character, mildly fruity... pear/apple/grape juice blend, again coriander overload, lightly spicy hopping, some peach skin in the finish. Along with spiced sugar cookie this is the lasting impression. Doesn't have the depth of flavor of some others and I could do with a lot less coriander, but this is pretty nice at this abv and price.

3.91/5  rDev +2.1%

New Belgium
Trippel: Ale Brewed with Coriander

Thin head that doesn't dissipate very quickly with a very bright gold color.
Good amount of carbonation. A little cloudy. Looks good.

Smells little sweet and herbal. Maybe a little hint of citrus.

Tastes a lot like it smells. Kind of a sweetness and then a bit of a sour aftertaste.
Doesn't have that bitter part of beer that I don't like. Definitely a more grainy that hoppy taste.

Carbonation is strong. A little on the heavy side but not so heavy I couldn't have another.
Has a thick but not quite chewy feel in the mouth and still goes down smooth.

It fills the mouth but isn't so heavy that it's hard to finish. It takes both my favorite sides I like of a lighter or heavier beer. I also enjoy the sweet herbal/citrus taste. At the end and like the sour aftertaste.

This is one of my go-to beers here at the house. Nice fruity aroma, taste of coriander and spice, beautiful golden color. Great finish. Good with all kinds of food. Highly recommended for those who'd like to go beyond Fat Tire but aren't ready to try the saison offerings from NB.

One of my favorites, especially in the spring. Golden brown, lots of initial fizz and bubbles which soon disappear. Sweet, orange, grapefruit, oh yes.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Excellent trippel. Usually I feel obligated to stick with the Texas companies, but when I tried New Belgium's trippel I decided I would never go back to Devil's Backbone (my longtime favorite tripel). New Belgium really came up with something good with this ale. It's bright, fairly hoppy (though as always, I could use more, has good ABV and sophisticated, non-offensive aftertastes including some flavors I find unique to this brew. Highly recommend this beer. It's well made, has great taste, and packs a punch. No complaints. :)

Perhaps this is just not my style, but I was not a fan. Drinkable, but just. There was too much going on here, and an overabundance of spices. It was just too much, not to mention the feeling of slight over carbonation; which I seem to get from all of New Belgium's beers.

Would not purchase or drink again.

Pours a clear yellow with a two finger head that left beautiful lacing on the glass. The aroma was light and I couldn't quite place it but coriander as the label suggested was there along with perhaps a bit of banana of all things. The taste was pleasantly different with banana and coriander prevalence along with hops and a sweet aftertaste. Definitely a fridge item when one craves something light, refreshing and different. Careful though, the taste belies the 7.80ABV rating.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

This was my first trippel, so I'm no expert here. The first taste was very floral and citrusy, then I noticed the alcohol content sink in, and finally the coriander came through. A translucent, golden body sat underneath a small, 1/2 finger white head. Great lacing in my 12 oz glass, and zero floaties in the body. Not an anytime beer, but well worth the experience.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

Not sure about the age of my bottle. The coriander only showed up towards the middle of the beer, and was gone before I got much further. A good beer I'd have again with no objections, but not one I'd choose over many others, either.

Best by date of 03.29.15.
Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip on 06.13.14.

A: 2 finger head. See through gold body.

S: Wheat, pear, funk, orange, and white grape.

T: Pear, wheat, funk, and white grape dominate. Cloves and orange are subtle.

M: Crisp and bubbly. Chewy.

O: This was very complex and the alcohol was hidden nicely.

Rating: B-, 80/100.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

This is a pretty accurate take on a Belgian tripel style of beer, and I enjoyed it. If I'm going with a true Belgian from this brewery though, give me an Abbey any day of the week. Maybe I'm not as big a coriander fan, I don't know, but while I didn't dislike this by any means, I liked Abbey a lot more. Different strokes for different folks, I guess, though I'll say it's very nice to have this in a six-pack and available all year long, whereas most similar beers are only packaged in bombers and harder to find. This accessibility is definitely a plus for New Belgium.

4.11/5  rDev +7.3%

I bought a sixer of this and I hope it's fantastic.

Serving style : 12 oz bottle complete with roosters, poured into 12 oz fiesta ware glass.

Appearance (4) : White, foamy, fluffy four finger head that seems to linger forever. Transparent mango-honey colored body. Rings of lacing, I'm counting 4. Head stays like a foamy lake. I love the look of this beer.

Smell (4.5) : Fresh orange spice, sugared peach, cinnamon, brown sugar, candied banana, slight musty grain, and a hint of lovely girly notes from the hops. Beautiful.

Taste (4) : A slight funk is followed by some rough cinnamon, apples, a hit of strong booze (ick), but - a finish that is utterly to die for. Banana. Banana. Banana!!!! If anything was killing this beer a little it would be the strong alcohol hit. It detracts from the fruit bliss of this beer and adds a slight astringency to it. The rest of the beer is fantastic.

Mouthfeel (4) : The finish is grand. The mouthfeel is creamy, wet, and smooth. Ends semi-dry.

Overall (4.11) : I am not upset I purchased a six pack of this. I do not like it *quite* as much as Abbey, due to the strong alcohol astringency. It does not ruin the whole beer, however, and I can overlook that small feat to enjoy a beer that is utterly yummy.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

"Gracefully complex with alluring depth, our bottle-conditioned Belgian trippel is spiced with a trace of coriander." Brewed in the style of a Belgian trippel. Available year-round in 12 oz. bottle 6 packs, in occasional variety packs and on draft.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a New Belgium globe glass. Served above 52 degrees fahrenheit.

Pours a creamy frothed ecru white head over a orange amber body with high clarity, fine flecked sediment and plentiful assertive carbonation. Retention is average and lacing is light and streaked. The aroma is chock full of banana and clove with a moderate wheat and biscuit malt base, and a very subtle spicy note of coriander seed in the background. The flavor is more balanced with a moderate wheat malt and pale syrup base, moderate banana and clove and a touch of coriander on the finish. The texture is slick, smooth and with a moderate spritely carbonation, the mouthfeel is silky crisp. The balance is slightly sweet over spiced bitter. Alcohol presence is low, off characters are minimal. As far as the trippel ale goes, this beer is fairly easy drinking with a low alcohol presence, soft wheat and pale syrup malt base and a tame yeast and spice profile. Very drinkable.

New Belgium Brewing's

4.27/5  rDev +11.5%

(enjoy by 28 Jun 2015 - carefully poured into a balloon)

A: damn crystal clear, cheesy gold color... very attractive 2-finger width messy off-white foam... drapes of thin, webby lace to and fro... shows some legs, which seems strange... 4.25

S: smells like a trappist tripel - I wanna say Westmalle... fresh-baked cracker, moderately toasty granola, wonderful mellow spicy phenolics, miniscule fusel booze... a touch flowery, not a ton of overt fruitiness... overall, fine intensity, first-class American-made tripel character... 4.25

T: assertive interplay between toasted and mildly-caramelized, woody malt notes and spicy yeast character - mild black pepper, bubblegum, mild clove... shouts it out loud on the palate... the malt truly comes across like a honey-kissed, whole-grain hors d'oeuvre cracker... lingering, moderately sweetish tone midway though quite, but not bone dry finish... almost pedio/lactic edge to the bitterness... the coriander doesn't really sing like it does in Tripel Karmeliet... alcohol very well hidden... 4.25

M: almost but not quite medium-bodied up front, with a gentle viscosity in the follow through... certainly dry, quiet, but curiously silky finish.. stealth alcohol - no heat, no burn - rinses the tension away... 4.5

O: now that I think of it, this tastes very much like Golden Monkey with a touch more depth and hardness in flavor... it's a very enjoyable beer and I could see grabbing a six-pack once or twice a year - if they sold it in my state!... 4.27?

Trippel Belgian Style Ale from New Belgium Brewing