2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Trippel Belgian Style Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Trippel Belgian Style AleTrippel Belgian Style Ale

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Tripel |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trippel Belgian Style Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,134 | Reviews: 905 | Show All Ratings:
kreeper

Wisconsin

4.6/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a very deep golden-orange color with very little head. A very floral aroma with fruits and spiced hops, very complex. A crisp clean taste which is refreshing. A little bit of spice in the taste mixed with alcohol . Up front is sweet with a finish that is sort of biting from the hops. One of my favorites from New Belgium !, Actually one of my top ten!

02-27-2010 04:42:27 | More by kreeper
jdspears41

Kentucky

3.63/5  rDev -4.5%

I really enjoyed this beer. I bought it from a beer superstore in Eau Claire WI while up there for work. I had a sample 12 pack and there were three bottles of this in there. First thing you notice is the % of alcohol in them, WOW. A six pack would floor you.

a-Poured this into a glass and noticed a strong color to it. I realized it would be good right then.

S-It was nothing special but a pleasant enought to make you want to drink it.

T-It was refreshing but after the second beer I grew tired of drinking it, I think its a one beer per sitting beer.

M-Not over powering or watered down feel. Mine was a tad flat.

D- I would love to start the night off with one of these everytime i drink. Good stuff

02-18-2011 02:57:14 | More by jdspears41
Callaghan

Georgia

3.58/5  rDev -5.8%

1st review. I happen to have a six pack in the fridge...and finally decided to join the site.

Best by date of 25mar12. Poured into a Chimay chalice.

A: Poured a nice golden color, almost clear. 1 1/2 in. white head that turned into a thin film after about one minute. Average lacing.

S: Coriander, some Belgian yeast. Floral notes that aren't very strong.

T: When it hits the tongue, coriander right up front, then yeast. Maybe some banana, but I'm not getting much else. Not that complex. A little malt in the aftertaste, and no hint of alcohol.

M: Light-Medium body, Medium carbonation. Kinda nice actually. Clean, semi-dry finish.

O: I would like a more complex beer, but, at the price of $8.99 for a sixer, it's good. I like coriander, and this beer definitely has it. Also good with a hearty meal.

08-25-2011 02:37:25 | More by Callaghan
Tomhet

3.58/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours a clear golden straw hue that is almost completely transparent; it looks like a pilsner, quite frankly. A one-finger eggshell white head dissipates into nothingness before I get a chance to take a sip, for shame. The smell is a piercingly crisp tripel to a tee. Banana and apple are there, blending perfectly with the strong presence of barley, and there's the typical faint dark cherry note hanging around near the end as well; perhaps some peach in there as well. Very fruity with a notable hop presence that I wasn't quite expecting.

The taste is oddly an entirely different beast. The yeast is the first thing to hit you, and the yeast alone. The biscuity character of Fat Tire is definitely present as well, and seems to come in a slightly different incarnation with each sip. The dominating fruit of the aroma is only faintly present in the taste, which, while not necessarily bad, is a surprise. Also, the 7.8% ABV is virtually impossible to detect, as this is very light drinking. Carbonation is medium to high and only serves to up the "refreshing" level that's already quite high. The finish is a mix of a faint banana/peach hybrid and a buttery yeast note that clings to the palate for a bit. Overall, pretty nice, though still just "good"

01-05-2013 06:22:43 | More by Tomhet
djsmith1174

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

A- Chrystal clear gold with an abundant white head.

S- Fruit, flowers and Belgian yeast.

T- A little citrus from the hops to start. Then on to banana, cloves and Belgian yeast.

M- A bit thinner than other examples of the style.

D- A solid example of a Tripel at an economical price that's very easy to find. This is a great benefit and one I purchase regularly.

05-23-2011 00:22:48 | More by djsmith1174
btuthill

4.08/5  rDev +7.4%

pours a bright, clear amber from a 12 oz bottle. a finger or finger and a half of bubbly head reduces quickly to about a quarter inch of dense, almost creamy lather that follows the beer down the entirety of the glass. really nice looking beer. the smell is equally pleasant - sweet and summery. its tough to describe the flavor as i'm not a seasoned trippel reviewer, but i enjoy it quite a bit and find myself satisfied after each sip. the mouthfeel is well above average - very smooth (silky even?) with perhaps a tiiiiny bit too much carbonation (too nitpicky to really put stock in). at nearly 8% i won't be drinking too many of these (at least not with a clear head), but i am really enjoying the first couple from the six pack.

a winning beer from a solid brewery.

07-04-2008 19:23:09 | More by btuthill
ElmerBruisery

Maryland

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

Fresh 22oz bomber poured into a pint glass

Puffy white cap leaves solid lacing. Color is golden and clear, but a little dull.

Nose is fruity, yeasty, noticeable coriander and... dusty spices. There's a strange smell here and the first thing I think of is dusty spices

Taste is bread fruit yeast and noticeable alcohol in the finish. I enjoy this beer, but after every sip I think of the dead yeast at the bottom of a primary fermenter... The finish is long and filled with booze bitterness and bread.

Mouthfeel is creamy and bubbly.

Overall this is a good beer, but not a great one. Maybe this bottle was too fresh, some time aging could help marry these flavors a lot better. I haven't had too many tripels; I wasn't crazy about this one but loved la fin du monde.

09-08-2011 02:17:43 | More by ElmerBruisery
beck2008

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

A - golden (almost lager like) 1/2 head, moderate lacing

S - Malty, some banana, spicy (I don't have a great sense of smell so I am not really sure what to say here. Besides, I usually just drink my beer I don't sit around and do much sniffing) :)

T - This is more like a golden ale than a "trippel". This tastes like La Fin Du Monde light. It's good ale no question but it's not as full bodied as most trippels. The finish is more dry than the initial taste.

M - Medium body, crisp carbonation but not overboard.

O - I'd buy this again - it's a great tasting beer. I love belgium ale so this was a good purchase.

12-11-2011 01:29:40 | More by beck2008
89Vision

3.78/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Pours a nice ruddy straw color, usual for a tripel. Decent head and lacing

S: Typical tripel. Sweet, with that "funky" aroma of Belgian yeast, hint of the warmness of the alcohol.

T: This is where I was let down slightly. Definitely a drinkable beer, but not quite up to par with the typical Belgian tripel. Average taste, with an off-taste I can't quite put my finger on.

M: Very smooth, silky. Again, typical of a Belgian tripel.

O: A nice offering from New Belgium, giving an introduction to Belgian tripels. Again, a very drinkable beer and very nice, but compared to Belgian tripels, can't quite stand up to them. However, for the price here in the US, one that I will likely be coming back to again.

03-07-2012 00:47:35 | More by 89Vision
Dusty6467

4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

A: light amber color, 1 finger head- thick and creamy but not a lot, lots of small carbonation bubbles that last the entire time

S: banana, cloves, citrus, grassy malt; smells great

T: mmmm... That's good; nice balance, starts out with banana and clove, the alcohol hits the back of mouth but not overbearing for being 7.8%, finishes dry and crisp

M: high carbonation, smooth and dry, very sessionable but you'd rather sip on it

O: overall this is a very good beer that is true to the style with some flair. I have not found a beer I didn't like from New Belgium

12-12-2012 00:22:25 | More by Dusty6467
dc87

3.24/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A - Medium gold, with very thin white head with little lacing. Clear on first pour but cloudy towards the end of the bottle.

S - yeast, booze, bready. Some fruit, vaguely reminiscent of wine, a little banana. Not getting coriander despite the promise it's in there.

T - Similar to the smell. Spices and yeast upfront, followed by a nice biting malt flavour with some banana. A dry aftertaste

M - Thin, light carbonation. Not very exciting

O - A quite pleasant beer, but not one I would rush to drink again. That said, this is the first I have had of this style, so I may revisit later

05-14-2013 05:43:56 | More by dc87
halfpgl

Maryland

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

Bright yellow with a fairly light head compared to other tripp’s. The nose gives you the fruit and spice with hints of yeast. This is a very well balanced beer. The 8.5%Abv goes unnoticed in cold beers but when you serve at the proper temperature the character comes alive! The alcohol comes alive and the brew turns into a true trippel. The beer is crisp on the tongue and goes down clean. Another solid product from our friends at New Belgium. Thanks!

04-24-2004 00:26:00 | More by halfpgl
alexAK

Alaska

On first glance, it pours a honey-like color reminding me a bit of a lager, but there's more depth. Lacing is fine. Aroma is well balanced hints at some of the yeast and hop character.

A very clear taste. The yeast is a little upfront but still light. I'd almost go for a little more depth but I've no real problem either. A faint hint of malt smoothness.

The beer is well carbonated so it feels a little bubbly in the mouth. Keeps it's character though.

Whilst abroad I used to go for the Leffe trippel, and as drinkable as the Leffe was, the alcohol is better masked in this brew. Still at 8.5 abv it'd be wise not to imbibe too quickly.

12-12-2004 01:41:22 | More by alexAK
khensley

4.53/5  rDev +19.2%

Sneaky beer. A sipper for sure. Had it a football party with some friends. We are home brewers, and very critical. Amazing smell, earthy, gardenlike, like I just watered my lawn in the July morning. Looks like a typical straw colored lager, but with a bit more pool of foam atop the glass with legs of lace. Taste is slow to hit, until it hits the middle of tongue and I'm hit with banana and a rinse of rye bread. The taste lingers forever, and then transforms' to light bitter apple. I do not notice the peppery flavor others notice at all, but I don't mind. Sipped like a fine bourbon is the best way to experience it. Not a session beer, it is so sneaky. One of the best beers I can find in my neck of the woods!

01-24-2013 06:19:24 | More by khensley
joozyboozy

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

12 oz bottle into a 16 oz beer.

the appearance is a beatiful vibrant gold, with moderate head and lacing as it dissapates.

the smell consists of citrus notes and alcohol. it is a fresh inviting scent.

the taste is good. citrusy, with a piny hop aftertaste. the alcohol is obvious but not overpowering.

it has a light body, smooth with a bit more than average carbonation. but i poured it slow so that might be why

09-28-2009 17:33:44 | More by joozyboozy
blaheath

Missouri

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

Pale golden in color with aromas of clove, bananas, and light bready malts. Taste is slightly under medium bodied/moderately carbonated with a faint banana and clove presence, very nice toasted/biscuit malts, subtle use of noble hops, and a short sweet finish. Very drinkable.

10-05-2009 21:25:01 | More by blaheath
Quackershnoc

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle, served in a New Belgium snifter (11/09/2012)
Appearance: slightly hazy, golden straw color; you can see through it; started with a finger of thick white head, slowly dissipates after sitting for a minute
Aroma: fruit and floral notes come through the strongest, I think some banana and maybe some green apple?; some of the spice comes through as well
Taste: boy, this is good; crisp and clean; the beer starts with some sweet malty goodness, a hint of the coriander and floral tones; this moves toward a pretty big (and I think quite nice) fruit flavor, definitely banana and a hint of tartness (again maybe apple?); it finishes with a quick punch of hop and is a bit dry/spicy
Mouthfeel: perfect; great carbonation; thick, almost creamy; coats the whole mouth; makes me want to drink more
Overall Impression: I really like this beer; it has great flavor-my first thought was, “it keeps finishing!” as I expected the fruit notes to be the end, the hop at the end was surprising but nice; the fruit notes themselves are very interesting, the banana works really well with the sweetness, and the spice provides a good balance to the whole thing so it doesn't become cloying or overly sweet; if I had to pick a favorite part, I think it would be that transition from fruit to hop...gosh that's nice!

11-10-2012 05:05:34 | More by Quackershnoc
uberez8

3.38/5  rDev -11.1%

Decided it was time to give the Belgian style Belgiums a try, starting with the Abbey, which I quite enjoyed and then moved onto this brew.

At first pouring it, I was surprised that it was a little darker and more malty in smell than most Trippels. I'll give it a little leeway there for the fact it is a Trippel "style" and not a true Trippel in brewing methods. A moderately thin, one finger head with a good white color poured from the bottle. The flavor was good and consistent but nothing to rave about. A bit heavy with the carbonation but the light, fruity Trippel flavors and malts are there without a doubt. I also quite enjoyed the coriander finish but over all I found it so-so compared to the Abbey. It was not a bad beer and good for what it is but given the choice between this and their Abbey, I know which one I will be buying more of in the future.

A competent Trippel but not much more.

04-30-2011 21:55:09 | More by uberez8
mptorpey

Delaware

4.18/5  rDev +10%

A: A light goldn yellow with very little head, poars a little flat.

S:Sweet with some maltness and some citrus.

T: A sweet malty beer with some citrus and corander.

M: A full long lasting feel that lingers over time.

O: A great easy drinking beer that is smooth.

03-22-2012 07:26:23 | More by mptorpey
ETF5000

4.38/5  rDev +15.3%

A nice easy drinker for a Trippel.

Pours a nice light golden hue with a large fluffy head. Plenty of effervescence here.

The first whiff smells immediately of coriander, then letting up notes of banana and citrus. A bit of heat at the end but par for the course for its style.

Wow, the boys at New Belgium nearly always impress. A great interpretation of the style. Nice notes of coriander, but plenty of complexity in the mid palate. Flowery and citrus notes come forward with a nice amount of heat at the end.

Nice effervescence leaves the beer bouncing around the palate without being stingy.

03-09-2010 07:45:56 | More by ETF5000
ABVerageJoe

3.78/5  rDev -0.5%

A- Gold, little bit of a white head, nothing major and did not seem highly-carbonated.

S- Floral, smelled like a cabinet of spices was poured into my beer. Corriander/clove combo strong.

T- Smooth and clean, easy to drink with not a lot of bite at all. You just pour it in your mouth and let it slide down the throat-hole.

M- Creamy and smooth. Dangerous smooth at 7.8%.

O- Overall I drank 5 of these over about an hour because of their smooth drinkability. I was gone. I think it gave me indigestion and caused a lot of burping, even though it didn't seem very carbonated on the way down. Good beer, but I would rather get something else next time instead.

Reviewed on: 12-20-2011 19:26:52

12-28-2011 17:18:45 | More by ABVerageJoe
kevinconroy

Colorado

3.15/5  rDev -17.1%

A-golden nice colour

S-smells great, yeasty, seaweed, coriander

T-Belgian yeast, sweetness then dry finish. Bread, nice spicyness

M-light pillowy

O-average, not bellow and certainly not above. It's worth a try but it isn't unique or anything great

02-27-2012 01:19:30 | More by kevinconroy
AZTEX

Arizona

4.43/5  rDev +16.6%

This is a good beer from New Belgium. I poured from a bottle into a glass. I poured a beautiful golden amber color with a nice frothy one finger foam. The smell was little weak, but had a bready aroma. The taste was very good and was relatively complex. I detected citrus flavors, along with a yeasty flavor. Very low hops taste at the end. This was good bodied beer and was very drinkable, although I could not drink many due to the complexity of the taste. Overall, a very good beer.

05-21-2008 01:11:26 | More by AZTEX
mandoskippy

Wisconsin

4.18/5  rDev +10%

Picked up three of these on a four pack split with a buddy in Green Bay. My first impression is this is what clean drinkin beer should be! I really liked this beer, and may consider this a staple in my beer harem.

A: Clear golden color. Very inviting. Great head on pour. Stuck around for quite a while

S: Clean and clear is going to be a common thread in my opinions on this beer. The smell was clean, nothing that crinkles the nose, but it has a nice complexity that draws me to it.

T: Once again. Clean and clear. Something that did not offend any sensory aspects, yet didn't leave me feeling that this was a neutral or dull beer. Complex fruity notes, but nothing I could pin down or be to drawn to.

M: Bubbly and clean. It's like an orgasm for your mouth (not in your mouth... don't do there)

D: I could see this being a staple beer at a party or something along that lines. In addition, this beer would be a great beer for taking those pisswater drinkers into the world of great beers.

10-21-2009 01:19:02 | More by mandoskippy
Gremner

3.33/5  rDev -12.4%

A- It's pretty. Nice golden yellow. Nice and clear. Creamy white head and brilliant lacing, About a finger high. I still had hints of the lacing on my glass the next morning.

S- It smells fruity and sweet with hints of hops.

T- Tastes sweet with a nice hoppy bite.

M- Medium bodied, leaving a lingering film.

D- I found this to be pretty drinkable. There is a flavor that I can't describe. I'm not well versed with tripels, it may be a flavor that is a calling card of this style. Nice taste and light/medium body make it a rather nice brew with which to relax. My personal opinion is that the ABV is too high for a session.

12-25-2009 08:41:01 | More by Gremner