Spring Blonde - New Belgium Brewing

Colorado, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: tbryan5 on 01-03-2014

1.6/5  rDev -54.9%

I am a huge fan of Belgian style ales. This beer intrigued me and I was excited to try it...I have had great experiences with New Belgium in the past.

The smell and appearance of Spring Blonde excited me, everything was great...until my first sip!

The taste of Spring Blonde was overwhelming...and not in a good way! I struggled through the first bottle of the six pack, hoping it would grow on me, and then dumped the rest down the drain. What a disappointment...I would highly recommend that you DO NOT try this beer! I have been extremely happy with all other New Belgium beers that I have purchased but this one seems to miss the target...so disappointing! :(

2.33/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I'm not certain if I received a bad batch based on the reviews of this beer, but my experience was not good.

Looks a bit light for a Belgian ale, deep blonde color, filtered and clear.

Smells a bit like something you'd find at a frat party with a bit more of a zesty note.

Starts with a crisp refreshing light blonde feel, then quickly reverts to a somewhat skunky flavor like that of a very poor beer. Reminds me deeply of what you'd find at a frat party (Rolling Rock, PBR), though the aftertaste lasts even longer.

Feels a bit bubbly in the mouth though smooth going down (aside from flavor)

I was ecstatic to see a new Belgian/Blonde ale from NB and picked it up immediately. I have loved everything I've ever tasted from New Belgium until today. As I said, I'm not certain if I received a poor batch, but I'm incredibly disappointed with the quality of this beer. I'm amazed that a craft brewery (and such a good one too) could have brewed what I just drank.

2.35/5  rDev -33.8%

This "Blonde" tastes like a Pilsner with a higher ABV. Strange - I had it on tap initially and enjoyed it, in that form the alcohol was evident but it was refreshing and sweet. In the bottle, Pilsner sneak attack. Blech. A real swing and a miss from New Belgium.

2.87/5  rDev -19.2%

Pours a clear yellow with a nice foamy white head. Smells like lemon and yeast. Taste is subtle lemon and a very strong grassy flavor. The grass throws off the whole beer for me, reminds me of dirt. Overall it’s okay, but I wouldn’t go out of my way for another.

2.96/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Spring Blonde – Belgian Style Ale (6%) - New Belgium Brewing Co. (Colorado)

App: Pours a true gold that is crystal clear. Nice one and a half finger stark white head settles quickly but leaves steady ring of bubbles and a lot of intertwined lacing.

Smell: Nose is primarily grain with a slight bready sweetness. Gentle malt notes with almost no hops presence and just a hint of fruity esters.

Taste: Bready and sweet on the foretaste with ample bitterness that complements the light sweetness well. To me it tastes more like a Kolsch than any belgian ale I've had. There's almost none of the fruitiness I've come to associate with belgian styles. Also has a slight metallic taste after swallowed. Perfectly sessionable, not particularly engaging.

Mouth: Pretty heavily carbonated and not without a noticeable dryness and acidity. Easy drinking.

Home tasting, 12oz bottle into Snifter. 1/21/14.

Pours translucent light golden with a white head and effervescence bubbles rising to surface. Aroma is lemon poppysead bread, a little pepper, and apple. Flavor is similar with a grassy mildy bitter finish. This one definitely leans to the sweet malty side of things for me. A crisp, active mouthfeel. Overall, meh. What I generally have come to think of most NB offerings. Not bad but not one I will bother with again.

3.18/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip. Appears a hazy, bright yellow color with a oddly small white head that leaves great lacing.

The nose has soft yeasty characters, with breadiness, a touch of spiciness and sweetness. Beyond that, it's lacking in character. The taste is along those lines, but the spiciness is shown off more. Again, pretty laid-back and not something you want to go back for again. I expected a bit more yeast here, and a touch more malt character.

The mouthfeel is medium to light bodied, with a slightly sticky finish. High levels of carbonation finish this off. Overall, it's a decent brew but not something I'd reach out for again. Fairly laid-back and one dimensional, but refreshing.

3.19/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a crystal clear golden color. The head is about two-fingers high, and completely white in shade. It's quite bubbly in texture, with retention that isn't quite fantastic. Streaks of lacing are left on the glass. I'm usually wary of a Belgian-style ale that's perfectly clear, so I'm not going to give a great score for that.

S: The aroma is both lemony and somewhat sweet. There are underlying notes of Belgian yeast, with a hint of phenol to back the aforementioned fruit esters and candied sugar. Faint touches of earthy hops also appear. Not a bad aroma, but too sweet for me, without enough of a balancing bitterness.

T: At first, it's very sweet and lemony. There's just a kiss of Belgian yeast here to go with the general opening flavors. The finish is a lot more enjoyable - the sugary notes fade, being replaced with a subtle hit of noble hops. It's the gentle bitterness that damn near saves this beer entirely. This could have been a sugary mess, but it's actually pleasantly balanced and moderately enjoyable.

M: I want to say that the body is medium, with a one-two punch of healthy carbonation and a dry finish helping to make this go down easily. The aftertaste has a gentle bitterness that lingers nicely on the palate.

O: This one's slightly better than I anticipated. While the Belgian yeast is almost a non-factor, it's still a decent beer thanks to the mild bitterness and easy-drinking nature. It's not amazing or complex, but it'll get the job done. Worth trying.

3.2/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a nearly clear straw yellow with barely any resemblance of a white head. Just a few splotches on the surface of the beer.

Aroma of hay and a bit of caramel along with a touch of clove and grass. It is nice but pretty weak overall. I was hoping for something with a little more punch.

The flavor is a little more bold than the aroma. Notes of clove and grass/hay with maybe a little bit of skunk? The caramel is less prominent and there is a little more in the way of yeasty spice. Mouthfeel is nice and crisp with just the slightest bit of residual sweetness in the finish.

Overall, a decent thirst quencher but this beer is severely lacking in aroma and flavor. It just isn't that interesting.

3.21/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a nice golden color and has a pretty solid taste. For me it was especially tasty on a recent hot day. It is very refreshing and I would encourage those that enjoy Belgian blonde ales to give this one a try because it is one of the better ones that I have had. New Belgium does good stuff and this one does not disappoint.

3.22/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a glass, has a nice billowy white head, and a pale, straw colored appearance, completely clarified. When I first poured it I was getting some aromas like that of NB's Trippel, which is one of my go-to's, and I wondered if it was going to be something like a Trippel Lite. Closer inspection revealed a weakish lemony aroma, and some corn-like malts - not bad but not what I would call stellar. First taste, to be honest, I could barely taste anything. I had my wife taste it and she called out the lemony, tart front end and the bitter finish, which is pretty much how the label describes it. As I got through the glass, the tartness up front and bitter back end became more apparent, but the mouthfeel is pretty light and watery. I compared it to a Coors Light, which I have nothing against, just not something I drink/buy/think about with any regularity. It does have a little more going on than a CL, and the airy mouthfeel could be considered refreshing. The abv is low enough that you can have a few without getting totally smashed, but do you want a few? Just a question to ask yourself. JSYK, I am really hard on Belgian pales in general, but this beer did not stand out to me whatsoever, and my wife used the word "pointless" to describe it. I actually do like New Belgium and buy their products quite a bit, but don't need to get this one again.

3.24/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz : tulip

Clear, golden yellow with a foamy white head. Nice retention and lacing.

Lightly spicy, lemony with a solid doughy, bread, malt backbone.

Medium+ body, foamy carbonation.

A decent beer, pleasant taste but the flavors seemed a bit muted, and had nothing particularly memorable.

3.27/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Pours a pale straw color with thin white head. Nose features some mellow Belgian esters paired with bready malts and some sourdough character. Taste has notes of lemon, light spice, and a light malty finish. Mouthfeel is light and refreshing. Not a bad easy drinker but nothing too exciting here.

3.28/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with generally appealing label art and branded orange/white pry-off pressure cap acquired as part of a mixed 6 pack at my local Trader Joe's grocery and served into a Pinthouse Pizza conical pint glass in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average given the brewery as well as the beer's current 80 rating. "Belgian style ale." 6% ABV confirmed. Reviewed as a Belgian golden ale since the label's description of the beer identifies it as such. "Enjoy by: 01JUN14."

Served cold - straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of white colour. Okay thickness. Not much creaminess or frothiness. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head retention is above average - about 3 minutes.

Body colour is a clear translucent strong yellow of average vibrance. Appears well-carbonated. Clean; no floating yeast particles/sediment is visible. Excellent clarity. Abundant rising bubbles are visible for some time.

Overall, it's a bit pale for a proper Belgian golden ale, so its current on-site designation as a Belgian pale may be more apt than New Belgium's own designation. Given it's 6%, I'll proceed to review it as a Belgian pale ale. It's not a unique or special appearance for the style, but there are no egregious flaws.

Sm: It has a surprisingly prominent herbal hop presence, which is dank and reminds one that hops are a cousin of cannabis. Thick honey notes, pale malts/blonde malts, full clean barley, and maybe a hint of...corn? No. But something like it. Yeastwise, I pick up vague banana. Hints of pear fruit. I also find a thickened lemon extract note - not fresh citrusy zest or lemongrass or even lemon itself - just a reticent bland extract. It's surprisingly grainy. This isn't at all the aroma I expected. Certainly sweeter than I could have anticipated.

Call me crazy, but I'm picking up on some really weird notes for a Belgian pale - heavy candy bar/chocolate bar/caramel/nougat. Yeah, that's it - nougat. I was so set on my concept of a Belgian pale when I saw this beer that it's taken me a long time to identify what I was really smelling, and that's it. What a peculiar aroma for the style. I dig it, but I wonder how the flavour profile will fare.

A pleasant, intriguing aroma of mild to moderate strength.

No overt alcohol is detectable.

T: Okay, so the nougat is nowhere near as strong here as it was on the aroma. But I do maintain that there's a honey confectiony note that seems atypical of the style. There's also your typical Belgian pale malt notes as well as some floral hops. A tinge of lemon extract (but no true lemon - i.e. lemongrass, lemon zest, lemon peel, etc.).

It's a very interesting build for a Belgian pale, and I'm intrigued. I'd almost call it unique. I do like it. Cohesive and pretty well balanced, but not quite gestalt. It's not an intricate beer per se, but boy is it nuanced. Average depth and duration of flavour. Above average intensity of flavour.

Mf: Mellow. Slightly overcarbonated. Smooth and wet. Has more thickness and body than most beers in the style. Good weight and presence on the palate. The texture isn't quite as interesting as the taste. It's soft, but I do wish it were more soft. The texture should be more gentle overall.

Not biting, oily, gushed, hot, astringent, boozy, rough, sticky, or harsh.

Dr: Drinkable, sure. It hides its ABV pretty well and I'm really enjoying it for what it is. It's not your typical Belgian style pale ale, and it has some very interesting notes. I'm tempted to call it unique within this style, but I don't want to give it too much credit - while drinkable, it's not a world class beer or anything. Certainly one of the more interesting New Belgium brews I've had of late. I'd likely get it again if I found a special at a bar or something, but I'd be reticent to purchase a 6er of it. The price point is right and I'm glad it's widely available. Certainly a brew worth trying.

Low B-

3.3/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A- This beer is impeccably clear. Light pale yellow blonde so clean you can read the newspaper through it. White crisp foam on top gives way to some clingy lace. But what really stands out above all is the clarity.

S- Light, ale aroma, citrus. Nothing over powering. Just solid enough.

T- Tart citrus up front, Belgian ale bitterness on the finish. Just a crisp flavor.

M- Everything seems spot on with this one. Easy and again, crisp. Just feels real sharp on the tongue but doesn't overdo it.

O- Pleasant light summer ale. Good working in the yard kind of beer. Nothing crazy about it, but just a good kick back after work and relax kind of brew.

3.34/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Clear golden colored ale with a medium sized white colored head.

Smells a little sweet and quite yeasty. Mildly spicy with a very slight coriander scent.

Starts out sweet like it smells. Some burnt sugar and grass in the flavor. Not as spicy as the smell with a slightly higher than expected bitterness. Otherwise this is fairly refreshing.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall it is a mild easy to drink ale. Just don't expect it to be Duvel.

3.34/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle BB 060114
A= pour a clear yellow color with a thin white head that dissapears fast very little lacing
S- lemon citrus bread and malt
T- faint lemon peel with pale malts slight grassy hops baked bread finish
M- crisp with moderate carbonation finishes on the dry side
O- no where close to anything Belgian tasted more like a Kolsch or a pilsener

3.36/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Jan. 2014 review of this on tap, confirmed with an April 2014 bottle.
Large, semi-durable white head that leaves plenty of foamy lacing. Excellent clarity.

More hoppy than malty and with only a faint trace of Belgian yeast, this tastes about as much like an APA as a blonde. Lemony. Mildly bitter finsih.

F: medium-light body with medium, high carbonation.

O: a good if hoppy version of the style.

3.36/5  rDev -5.4%

Appearance: Straw yellow with an awesome thick ass white head larger than anything. It hung around forever and laced like a mother fucker.

Smell: Didn't smell like anything other than a little sweet. WTF?

Taste: Super nice hop I can't describe. A little coppery but unbelievably pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Not enough carbonation which pissed me off. Otherwise a nice medium body.

This beer is really a great beer. Although it lacks super strong flavor, what it does have is better than average flavor that I love. It's like Samuel Adams Boston Lager a little watery. It's the perfect beer to introduce your idiot friends to so they know what real beer should taste like.

3.36/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I always like to try these lighter brews from New Belgium. This one compares unfavorably to Rolle Bolle. This stuff is so sweet and lacking in any kind of edge. It seems a bit tangy, even with a touch of vinegar, but that doesn't do much to counteract the simple sweetness.

The dry yeastiness finally takes over the taste buds but it's still an odd sweet and sourish combination. Rather bitter aftertaste with the candy hints. Attractive golden color with a very persistent foam in the glass. Faint aroma of cornmeal. From the 12 oz bottle purchased at a Von's supermarket.

3.37/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- Pours up some head which has okay retention. The head is a thin, cotton-white while the body is a pale straw to weak lemon which appears as a bright lemon yellow in the light. There are some strands of lacing.

Nose- Smells like a cross between an AAL and a pilsner, which is to say there isn't much going on here. Light notes of white grapes that have a bit of stinging, vinous quality to them. Light notes of grain and cornflakes. Some biscuit. Very beery, to use layman's terms.

Taste- Fairly consistent with the nose but less of a vinous nature. Big notes of grain, biscuit, and cornflakes. Ends with what seems to be German hop bitterness- a mix of earth, herbs, and chalky/mineral notes. Slight lemon notes along with the slight white grape. Maybe a touch of honey or something else that is mildly sweet in the middle. Don't get a lot from this that makes me think of a Belgian beer. It really seems more like I think an American Pilsner would be like- not Miller but actually good. Maybe a touch of banana. Some clove and ash on the finish. Above average beer and nothing more.

Mouthfeel- Just above light bodied with mild carbonation and no carbonic zing. A touch of smoothness makes this beer a little more drinkable.

Drinkability- Pretty easygoing with enough subtle notes to keep the sort of interesting. Standard New Belgium prices but I don't think I would buy this again.

Overall- Just above average but a little off for the style. Nothing special but you might want to give at try.

3.37/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12oz, Enjoy by 5/25/14
Large snifter

A: Pours a crystal clear piss yellow (lager like) color. Loose bright white head. Leaves little to no lacing.

S: Cereal grains. Lemon. Light smelling. Belgian yeast notes. Very basic smelling.

T: Get cereal grains and lemon up front. It’s very easy drinking. Plain Jane. Finish is light but not “bitter” like the label mentions.

M: Light bodied. Crisp finish.

3.43/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got a free bottle of this one from my beer guy, not something I'd normally try. This offering pours a very clear golden hue with a foamy white head that leaves a nice lacing. The aroma is that of sweet belgian yeast, lemon juice, and biscuit malts. The mouthfeel is light and smooth with just the right amount of carbonation. Flavors follow the nose with Belgian yeast and lemon upfront. It is a very light and refreshing pour, especially for the adv. Drinks like a light beer at best. This is a refreshing enjoyable summertime beer but lacks complexity or depth. Good but overly simple.

3.43/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours golden see thru

Thick white head, about a finger. Head stays for a while, half beer gong still about half a finger

Smell - definitely get graps, almost a wine scent. Hops up front, citrus background.

First taste was a scant. I let the beer sit for a minute. Secont sip I get citrus and grapes for sure, a crisp pilsner feel, good body, nice aftertaste.

Overall I rate this beer good Would definitely buy again but in the spring. Not really the season for it, once the snow goes, good beer.

3.44/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into a FW Imperial nonic glass
Notes from 03/16/14

A: Light blonde caramel color with a perfected clarity. Think honey in color with a bright white head made up of lively froth. Good retention efforts with light specks of lace are left sticking to the glass.

S: Smells of dusty minerals, sourdough bread, dry lemon peel, coriander, and yeast. Slightly tart, grainy, and earthy. The aroma here is very timid and takes some coaxing. Seems to be yeast and malt making most of the efforts here.

T: Simple grainy malt profile. Bready with some tart yeast, lemon peel, and coriander. Light peppery bitterness on the back end. Fairly smooth with a dry finish and no alcohol coming into play. Nice refreshing and crisp but fairly uninspiring.

M: Medium bodied on account of the malt bill. Otherwise fairly light smooth and with ample carb. The finish is dry and crisp with a very clean retreat.

D: Not a bad beer but pretty simple and uninteresting. Its burpy and can satisfy on a hot day in that this is refreshingly crisp.

Spring Blonde from New Belgium Brewing