Spring Blonde - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: tbryan5 on 01-03-2014)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spring Blonde Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +22.8%

2.83/5  rDev -18.2%

Pours a clear yellow with a nice foamy white head. Smells like lemon and yeast. Taste is subtle lemon and a very strong grassy flavor. The grass throws off the whole beer for me, reminds me of dirt. Overall it’s okay, but I wouldn’t go out of my way for another.

3.59/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle labeled 'enjoy by 15jun14'

pours a pale yellow with a big airy head that sticks to the glass. smell has belgian clove-like spicyness, some grass, mostly neutral. very easy drinking, not getting too much belgian flavor other than some pear-like esters and some 'dirt' in the bitter finish.

rating this as a blonde ale, it's pretty good. not a good belgian

4.5/5  rDev +30.1%

3.3/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with generally appealing label art and branded orange/white pry-off pressure cap acquired as part of a mixed 6 pack at my local Trader Joe's grocery and served into a Pinthouse Pizza conical pint glass in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average given the brewery as well as the beer's current 80 rating. "Belgian style ale." 6% ABV confirmed. Reviewed as a Belgian golden ale since the label's description of the beer identifies it as such. "Enjoy by: 01JUN14."

Served cold - straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of white colour. Okay thickness. Not much creaminess or frothiness. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head retention is above average - about 3 minutes.

Body colour is a clear translucent strong yellow of average vibrance. Appears well-carbonated. Clean; no floating yeast particles/sediment is visible. Excellent clarity. Abundant rising bubbles are visible for some time.

Overall, it's a bit pale for a proper Belgian golden ale, so its current on-site designation as a Belgian pale may be more apt than New Belgium's own designation. Given it's 6%, I'll proceed to review it as a Belgian pale ale. It's not a unique or special appearance for the style, but there are no egregious flaws.

Sm: It has a surprisingly prominent herbal hop presence, which is dank and reminds one that hops are a cousin of cannabis. Thick honey notes, pale malts/blonde malts, full clean barley, and maybe a hint of...corn? No. But something like it. Yeastwise, I pick up vague banana. Hints of pear fruit. I also find a thickened lemon extract note - not fresh citrusy zest or lemongrass or even lemon itself - just a reticent bland extract. It's surprisingly grainy. This isn't at all the aroma I expected. Certainly sweeter than I could have anticipated.

Call me crazy, but I'm picking up on some really weird notes for a Belgian pale - heavy candy bar/chocolate bar/caramel/nougat. Yeah, that's it - nougat. I was so set on my concept of a Belgian pale when I saw this beer that it's taken me a long time to identify what I was really smelling, and that's it. What a peculiar aroma for the style. I dig it, but I wonder how the flavour profile will fare.

A pleasant, intriguing aroma of mild to moderate strength.

No overt alcohol is detectable.

T: Okay, so the nougat is nowhere near as strong here as it was on the aroma. But I do maintain that there's a honey confectiony note that seems atypical of the style. There's also your typical Belgian pale malt notes as well as some floral hops. A tinge of lemon extract (but no true lemon - i.e. lemongrass, lemon zest, lemon peel, etc.).

It's a very interesting build for a Belgian pale, and I'm intrigued. I'd almost call it unique. I do like it. Cohesive and pretty well balanced, but not quite gestalt. It's not an intricate beer per se, but boy is it nuanced. Average depth and duration of flavour. Above average intensity of flavour.

Mf: Mellow. Slightly overcarbonated. Smooth and wet. Has more thickness and body than most beers in the style. Good weight and presence on the palate. The texture isn't quite as interesting as the taste. It's soft, but I do wish it were more soft. The texture should be more gentle overall.

Not biting, oily, gushed, hot, astringent, boozy, rough, sticky, or harsh.

Dr: Drinkable, sure. It hides its ABV pretty well and I'm really enjoying it for what it is. It's not your typical Belgian style pale ale, and it has some very interesting notes. I'm tempted to call it unique within this style, but I don't want to give it too much credit - while drinkable, it's not a world class beer or anything. Certainly one of the more interesting New Belgium brews I've had of late. I'd likely get it again if I found a special at a bar or something, but I'd be reticent to purchase a 6er of it. The price point is right and I'm glad it's widely available. Certainly a brew worth trying.

Low B-

4.1/5  rDev +18.5%

Picked this beer up because it was "new" and seasonal... Glad I did!

A- This beer looks just like you'd expect from something with "blonde" in the name. A fluffy white head quickly dissipates, leaving a bubbly/iridescent liquid in the glass. The appearance is pilsner-like.

S- Very nice. This beer exudes a clean, fresh smell with overtones of cardamom and belgian yeast.

T- Very similar to the smell. This beer tastes like a pilsner brewed with belgian yeast(!?) Very unique, and thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish. Carbonation is noticeable on the tongue, but fits in perfectly with the refreshing profile of the beer.

M- Nice medium body on this one.... Nothing to write home about, but it's perfectly appropriate for the style. As I mentioned, there is a high amount of carbonation, but it works.

O- This is an unusual, and uncharacteristically pedestrian outing for New Belgium. Due to buzzwords like "Belgian" and "Ale" I expected something very different... but I wasn't disappointed at all. If you like biscuity beers, and don't turn your nose up at the occasional pint of lager, then I would certainly give this a try!

3.5/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured into a pint glass. Average blonde looking beer with little head. This beer is average at best and i was kinda disappointed with this beer. Usually New Belgium doesnt disappoint me but this one dead. Taste is week as well as the mouthful and the smell is again average not something i havent had the nose for before

Spring Blonde from New Belgium Brewing