Lips Of Faith - Grätzer (3 Floyds Collaboration) - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Grätzer (3 Floyds Collaboration)Lips Of Faith - Grätzer (3 Floyds Collaboration)

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Smoked Beer |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 06-07-2014

Its not dead. But Gratzer is definitely a long-buried style from Poland. Together with 3Floyds we unearthed its robust smokiness with oak smoked wheat and midnight wheat. Polish Lublin hops for a bitter bite and lacto for a slightly sour finish, this pours out a billowing, foamy mouth worth indulging.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 684 | Reviews: 92
3.67/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.36/5  rDev -4.8%

3.79/5  rDev +7.4%

Love New Belgium, though this isn't a grand slam winner for me like Portage and Rampant.
Not a full technical review, just a few notes.

-couldn't taste or smell smokey like everyone says. Not sure when it was born though, might be an older bottle (though it says its good until may 2015, and its the end of march).

-by how dark and rich the taste is of chocolate and oak, I was highly suprised how watery the mouth felt. Something this dark and "stouty", I figured I would be having a glaze of coffee across my tongue. Sadly, it was like water. Though this is the first time I've and a wheat beer this dark so I'm not sure if its normal. The sour tang they say that the lacto adds is a total plus in my book, as it says its suppose to. I recently had a skunked beet that wasn't suppose to be sour but didn't know until I called the brewery. This tasts more deliberate though, and is a nice mix to the usual for me.

-the color was pronominal! Looks clean, but I can't see the light on the other side. The head was nice and mocha colored. killer!

-Final thoughts. I'm thinking it was a bottle that had been sitting shelved in a cooler too long, The top wasn't so great, but the farther down my glass I go, the more the flavors pop. I had a Sam Adams about two months ago I thought was skunked, but was just kind of stale-ish at the top (The top tasted like a bad attempt at an adjunct lagar, but the farther I went the more like an Adams it tasted like.)

Not my favorite from New Belgium, but I wanna give another bottle a go around. I've always wanted to try a 3 Floyds, and being in alaska, it's the closest I'm going to get (unless anyone knows how I can score some Zombie Dust or Gumball Head)

3.69/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.7/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured into a New Belgium globe

A: Pours deep brown with a frothy pretty much paper bag brown color head that settles and laces well.

S: Smokey, some roasted malt, coffee, a bit tart, with a touch of dark fruit and faint toffee.

T: Smoke hits first, then noticeable tartness, dark fruit, a little roasted malt, some coffee, and maybe even some fruity berry notes.

M: Light to medium body, prickly carbonation, but it has a way of hanging around in your mouth.

O: Very unique to say the least, but can't say I'd go for it again.

3.06/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Even though I'm a huge fan of New Belgium and 3 Floyds (my first brewpub!), I wasn't terribly fond of this beer as far as taste goes. Still, it was certainly worth trying. I don't remember its specific qualities other than it being relatively viscous, very dark, and, of course, quite smoky. Oh yes, I am reminded that it was somewhat tangy as well. Palatable if sipped and consumed with some cheese. I only really like sharp cheddar, but I imagine it would go well with blue cheese for those who enjoy that.

3.98/5  rDev +12.7%

3.14/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

4.05/5  rDev +14.7%

3.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.05/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Dark brown and opaque, nearly black. A small one finger head of tan foam. Leaves nice sticky lacing as the beer recedes. Maintains a thin foam cap throughout.

Smell: Smoky and woody, with a whiff of coffee and chocolate. Slight sweet aroma as well.

Taste: Smoke, dark malts, slight sour tartness and wheaty. I like smoked beers when the smoke flavor isn't overwhelming, and this one isn't. It has a good balance and the smoke is actually what makes this beer so good.

Mouth feel: Medium bodied, low carbonation, slick on the tongue.

Overall: I haven't had this style before, but I really like it. It's interesting and different, and very drinkable. I really like that smoked flavor with the slight sour tang. It really works for me. I will look for this again.

4.71/5  rDev +33.4%

The taste is 10/10 but I just wish the alcohol content was a little higher than 4.5% ABV

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.27/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

3.55/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.73/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I hate that I'm forced to type.

3.81/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.66/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Recently a neighbors house burned down. I walked by the house the next day. There was a distinctive smell emanating from the house of smoke, charred wood and burned plastic.

That is exactly what this beer tastes like. Smokey coals, bonfire, campfire.

Then there is that finish - sour, kinda czech pilsner-ish. Reminded me a little of La Folie. There are smoked beers on the meaty side - like the Pipeworks Pastrami On Rye. This was not like that. This beer tasted like sitting next to the fire pit and the wind blows the smoke into your face.

I think they did a pretty good job of matching the style they were going for. Now we know why the style has been "long-buried". Gratzers are disgusting and I will do my best to avoid drinking another.

3.58/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.19/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I'm a huge fan of Three Floyds; I'm not much of a fan of New Belgium (and Fat Tire is one of my least-favorite widely available beers). That said, I really wasn't sure what to expect with this collaboration—though I have known New Belgium to score considerably better, on my personal scale, when they pair with other brewers than when they brew alone. Considering the sort of niche European/historical style, though I couldn't resist, and I'm glad to say this Grätzer far and away fails to disappoint.

Indeed, from the very first sip, I was really feeling this weird mix of flavors: a dark, smoky, slightly barn-sour nose presages an extension of all those elements in the ale's tastes, which double-down on the oak-smoke without ever pushing them into the extremes some smoked beers reach. Meanwhile, the use of lactobacillus more than double-down on the sour notes of the nose, adding crisp, funky tartness that—more than the smoke, even—underpins the overall bouquet and structure of this beer. The tartness also helps maintain a lightness, which is matched by the surprisingly thin mouthfeel—for a smoke-beer, but even more for a wheat-premised beer—which to me is more velvety than "billowing", but which is also quite clean.

The hopping, on the other hand, is much less aggressive than I would have expected, not just because of the two collaborators but because of the promised "bitter bite"; really, the Lublin are essential a footnote, and though I suppose they probably contribute to the cleanliness of the finish and help prop-up the bitterness that is derived from the oaken notes, the overall presence of the hops in the flavor-complex is pretty miniscule, to my taste-buds.

Still, that's a minor quibble for an ale that both surprised and surpassed my expectations from the moment I poured it into my Three Floyds-branded tulip-pint: a refreshing, light ale that belies its dark heart, an expressively oak-smoke wheat mellowed and well-matched by its cleanly-soured skeleton, and beer that seems it'd be perfect for a mild summer-day deep on the continent—presumably waiting for the zombie-apocalypse to reach Wielkopolska.

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Apparently smoked beers arent my thing...

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Lips Of Faith - Grätzer (3 Floyds Collaboration) from New Belgium Brewing