Lips Of Faith - Grätzer (3 Floyds Collaboration) - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Grätzer (3 Floyds Collaboration)Lips Of Faith - Grätzer (3 Floyds Collaboration)

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Smoked Beer |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 06-07-2014

Its not dead. But Gratzer is definitely a long-buried style from Poland. Together with 3Floyds we unearthed its robust smokiness with oak smoked wheat and midnight wheat. Polish Lublin hops for a bitter bite and lacto for a slightly sour finish, this pours out a billowing, foamy mouth worth indulging.
to view more.
Ratings: 695 | Reviews: 94
4.3/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Look - I like the look on this one. It has different head. It looks like chocolate milk after bubbles are blown it in. It is very fine bubbles that mist for lacing. The color of the body is darker than cola, lighter than coffee.

Smell - Smoky, dark chocolate. Sour milk is there too, but light.

Taste - It is a little light. Smoke, wheat, chocolate, milk.

Feel - It is watery. I am surprised with the lack of foam with how much head it yielded.

Overall - I like this collaboration. It is light because it is 4.5%. Drinkable with taste.

3.52/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It tastes like a campfire

3.79/5  rDev +7.4%

Love New Belgium, though this isn't a grand slam winner for me like Portage and Rampant.
Not a full technical review, just a few notes.

-couldn't taste or smell smokey like everyone says. Not sure when it was born though, might be an older bottle (though it says its good until may 2015, and its the end of march).

-by how dark and rich the taste is of chocolate and oak, I was highly suprised how watery the mouth felt. Something this dark and "stouty", I figured I would be having a glaze of coffee across my tongue. Sadly, it was like water. Though this is the first time I've and a wheat beer this dark so I'm not sure if its normal. The sour tang they say that the lacto adds is a total plus in my book, as it says its suppose to. I recently had a skunked beet that wasn't suppose to be sour but didn't know until I called the brewery. This tasts more deliberate though, and is a nice mix to the usual for me.

-the color was pronominal! Looks clean, but I can't see the light on the other side. The head was nice and mocha colored. killer!

-Final thoughts. I'm thinking it was a bottle that had been sitting shelved in a cooler too long, The top wasn't so great, but the farther down my glass I go, the more the flavors pop. I had a Sam Adams about two months ago I thought was skunked, but was just kind of stale-ish at the top (The top tasted like a bad attempt at an adjunct lagar, but the farther I went the more like an Adams it tasted like.)

Not my favorite from New Belgium, but I wanna give another bottle a go around. I've always wanted to try a 3 Floyds, and being in alaska, it's the closest I'm going to get (unless anyone knows how I can score some Zombie Dust or Gumball Head)

3.7/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured into a New Belgium globe

A: Pours deep brown with a frothy pretty much paper bag brown color head that settles and laces well.

S: Smokey, some roasted malt, coffee, a bit tart, with a touch of dark fruit and faint toffee.

T: Smoke hits first, then noticeable tartness, dark fruit, a little roasted malt, some coffee, and maybe even some fruity berry notes.

M: Light to medium body, prickly carbonation, but it has a way of hanging around in your mouth.

O: Very unique to say the least, but can't say I'd go for it again.

3.17/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Even though I'm a huge fan of New Belgium and 3 Floyds (my first brewpub!), I wasn't terribly fond of this beer as far as taste goes. Still, it was certainly worth trying. I don't remember its specific qualities other than it being relatively viscous, very dark, and, of course, quite smoky. Oh yes, I am reminded that it was somewhat tangy as well. Palatable if sipped and consumed with some cheese. I only really like sharp cheddar, but I imagine it would go well with blue cheese for those who enjoy that.

4.05/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Dark brown and opaque, nearly black. A small one finger head of tan foam. Leaves nice sticky lacing as the beer recedes. Maintains a thin foam cap throughout.

Smell: Smoky and woody, with a whiff of coffee and chocolate. Slight sweet aroma as well.

Taste: Smoke, dark malts, slight sour tartness and wheaty. I like smoked beers when the smoke flavor isn't overwhelming, and this one isn't. It has a good balance and the smoke is actually what makes this beer so good.

Mouth feel: Medium bodied, low carbonation, slick on the tongue.

Overall: I haven't had this style before, but I really like it. It's interesting and different, and very drinkable. I really like that smoked flavor with the slight sour tang. It really works for me. I will look for this again.

4.71/5  rDev +33.4%

The taste is 10/10 but I just wish the alcohol content was a little higher than 4.5% ABV

2.73/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I hate that I'm forced to type.

3.66/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Recently a neighbors house burned down. I walked by the house the next day. There was a distinctive smell emanating from the house of smoke, charred wood and burned plastic.

That is exactly what this beer tastes like. Smokey coals, bonfire, campfire.

Then there is that finish - sour, kinda czech pilsner-ish. Reminded me a little of La Folie. There are smoked beers on the meaty side - like the Pipeworks Pastrami On Rye. This was not like that. This beer tasted like sitting next to the fire pit and the wind blows the smoke into your face.

I think they did a pretty good job of matching the style they were going for. Now we know why the style has been "long-buried". Gratzers are disgusting and I will do my best to avoid drinking another.

4.19/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I'm a huge fan of Three Floyds; I'm not much of a fan of New Belgium (and Fat Tire is one of my least-favorite widely available beers). That said, I really wasn't sure what to expect with this collaboration—though I have known New Belgium to score considerably better, on my personal scale, when they pair with other brewers than when they brew alone. Considering the sort of niche European/historical style, though I couldn't resist, and I'm glad to say this Grätzer far and away fails to disappoint.

Indeed, from the very first sip, I was really feeling this weird mix of flavors: a dark, smoky, slightly barn-sour nose presages an extension of all those elements in the ale's tastes, which double-down on the oak-smoke without ever pushing them into the extremes some smoked beers reach. Meanwhile, the use of lactobacillus more than double-down on the sour notes of the nose, adding crisp, funky tartness that—more than the smoke, even—underpins the overall bouquet and structure of this beer. The tartness also helps maintain a lightness, which is matched by the surprisingly thin mouthfeel—for a smoke-beer, but even more for a wheat-premised beer—which to me is more velvety than "billowing", but which is also quite clean.

The hopping, on the other hand, is much less aggressive than I would have expected, not just because of the two collaborators but because of the promised "bitter bite"; really, the Lublin are essential a footnote, and though I suppose they probably contribute to the cleanliness of the finish and help prop-up the bitterness that is derived from the oaken notes, the overall presence of the hops in the flavor-complex is pretty miniscule, to my taste-buds.

Still, that's a minor quibble for an ale that both surprised and surpassed my expectations from the moment I poured it into my Three Floyds-branded tulip-pint: a refreshing, light ale that belies its dark heart, an expressively oak-smoke wheat mellowed and well-matched by its cleanly-soured skeleton, and beer that seems it'd be perfect for a mild summer-day deep on the continent—presumably waiting for the zombie-apocalypse to reach Wielkopolska.

look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Apparently smoked beers arent my thing...

3.91/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

For those (understandably) unfamiliar with Grätzer - or Grodziskie as it's also known - it is a Polish ale dating back to the Middle Ages and is comprised majorly of oak-smoked wheat. This modern New Belgium/3 Floyds interpretation looks to have emphasized the smoke - entirely, thoroughly black, it looks as if it were rolled in ash. Its head leaves puff rings of lacing all the way up the glass.

The aroma likewise emphasizes the smoke element, albeit with some familiar Dry Stout-like burnt grain notes. It's probably enough for most people to cite dark chocolate or black coffee, though those flavours are certainly incidental relative to the presence of blackened campfire logs and soot. Warmth unearths a ganja-like component that must be the Polish Lublin hops.

The presence of the baker and the barista don't disappear on the palate, but things definitely take a turn for the acrid; flavours reminiscent of tobacco leaf, stiff new leather, and used ashtrays creep into the fore and linger longer than the others. Dear reader, if I heard that I'd be grossed out too but take my word: it's very agreeable and quite tasty.

Indeed, this Lips of Faith offering may require a leap of faith for some but is remarkably approachable for a smoked beer. For lovers of Rauchbier this won't be as gratifying; the smoke element isn't overblown and the bacon and campfire qualities it contributes, while clear and confident, are also restrained and mindfully folded into a 'bigger picture'.

The addition of lacto bacteria has an equally modest impact. There is a trace of tartness in the mouthfeel, something that like that found in a ripe piece of fruit (i.e, a purple plum) but it's far from being 'sour'. And it contains virtually none of that residually sweet, milky lactose character of a Milk Stout. This is decidedly lighter in a few respects, it's 4.5% body not the least among them.

When big names like New Belgium and 3 Floyds partner up, it's fair to expect big things and yet this Grätzer managed to exceed my expectations. While I don't have enough experience to speak to the authenticity of the recipe, I can say with certainty that it's among the most innately approachable, easily quaffed, and likely to be widely appealing smoked beers I've tried.

3.78/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A very interesting style, which melds the smoked malts and porter style body with a smooth mouthfeel. Love the generous pillowy foam head here, which retains through the pour. Complex layers dominate here with the result being a unique and enjoyable beer

4.23/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Wow. This is a really interesting style. It is very different from most other smoked brews. The thing that sets it apart is the refreshing lightness.

It pours with a huge head and a nice dark brown color. The aroma is smoked with light yeast and hops aromas.

The taste is an amalgamation of smoky yeast, bitter sourness, but all being pretty subtle and balanced. It is not sweet or malty. The aftertaste continues lightly with the sourness.

This is a very successful brew. I can't say if it is authentic, I think it may be. Highly recommended (and it's underrated).

3.56/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

New Belgium/Three Floyds' Grätzer Ale. 4.5% ABV.

A: Just a slim line of head. Extremely dark brown, nearly black. Honeyed brown in the dimple. A bit of sheeting, and just a slight bit of emaciated lacing.

S: Charred wheat toast (bread) up front. Light graphite. A faint molasses note. Not complex, but a nice scent.

T/MF: Big, yet soft char dominates. Faint licorice. Grassy note to the char flavor. Not bad, but not great.

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle, into a Belgian tulip glass.

2.42/5  rDev -31.4%

With this being my first smoked beer I will not be going back for another. The initial taste is of fire smoke but the finish is that of cigarette smoke which I am not a fan and the lingering taste is that of a beer that was filtered through an ash tray. I am sure this is for some just not for me.

3.62/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Wasn't sure what to expect with this one - it's not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Definitely a smokey/cigarette finish though. Love the label.

3.98/5  rDev +12.7%

First gratzer I've ever had - will definitely try again. Love the zombie bike riders on the label.

3.51/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours an effervescent ebony with 3 fingers of tan head. Great lacing & above average head retention

S: Gummyness & smokeyness once warm

T: Mild smokeyness, a little dryness, & gummy sweetness up front. Some fig & pear mix with smokeyness & dryness as this warms, slight taffy flavor as well. Finishes dry, a little smokey with the aforementioned taffy

MF: Medium bodied, light carbonation

Drinks okay, but doesn't deliver much in the way of good flavor. A letdown like most of this series

4.51/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Light body and light smoke. Very smooth and drinkable. I enjoyed this thoroughly.

3.34/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Black colored beer with a medium sized brown colored head.

Smells smoky and slightly sour. Roasted grain and toasted wheat bread scents. Smells greatly like campfire toasted sourdough bread.

Starts out smoky and slightly sour with a burnt sugar taste. Mineral water flavors. Sourness is slight. Sourness comes at the start and at the end of the flavor profile.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall an interesting and tasty beer. This is about 1/2 way between Schwartzbier and Rauchbier.

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours very dark to near black, some haze, and tan colored head. Lace settled to a thin layer. Nose had a nice smoked bready aroma that had hints of cooked bacon. Palate was surprisingly light in flavor, moderate smoke presence, bready, some good hop balance, and a toasty finish. Very drinkable. Wish I had Gouda in the fridge to pair.

2.32/5  rDev -34.3%

Some dead styles should stay dead. This is like licking an ashtray!

3.6/5  rDev +2%

Reminded me of St. Sebastian Dark Ale in both taste and mouthfeel. Definitely more sour on the finish, however. Like drinking a sour coca cola. Nat bad. If be interested in more from this style.

Pours quite dark with medium white head
Aroma is of bisquit and bread with notes of chocolate and dark fruit. Slight sour note as well
Taste is slightly smokey with midnight wheat breadiness coming through. Again slight chocolate and dark fruit coming through. Some sourness is present but light
Mouthfeel is medium rich, but slightly thin on the finish
Overall impression is good. Really like the smoke/sourness notes. Keeps it out there on the style scale

to view more.