Love (Foeder #3) - New Belgium Brewing

No picture uploaded.

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  6.00% ABV

Single barrel, 3 year old wild beer.

(Beer added by: beerguy101 on 09-05-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

4.48/5  rDev +6.7%

From notes when I was at Toronado SF a while back. Pours a hazy orange coloe with a small white head that disappears almost instantly. Scent at first was "this smells like Le Terrior without the dry hopping". Man this thing smells sour! A good amount of vinegar with some apricot and citrus. A hint of wood. Taste is SOUR! It does somewhat remind me of a hopless Le Terrior for some reason. It could be that I was drinking so much of that beer around that time. A good amount of acidity with some apricot and peaches. Nice woody notes as well. Just a tiny bit of citrus with some nice funk. Mouthfeel is wonderfully carbonated and puckering. Drinkability is high. Overall, this beer is fantastic. I wish they would give it a name and bottle it.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

On tap into a small wine glass. Beer pours a dark orange, copper, with a small amount of bubbly head. Left a good amount of lacing as I drank from the glass, with the small amount of carbonation feeding a film of head and a few bubbles.

Nose was mainly stone fruits, over ripe nectarines, apricots, sour plums and skins, vinegar, and a dark spirit like rum.

Taste was good, very fruity upfront with peaches, nectarines and apricots and a bit of their skins and pits providing tartness and earthiness. Heavy ethanol like flavor though, even with a relatively low abv, but not overwhelming.

Medium body with a tickling sensation on the tongue from the carbonation, but somewhat syrupy as a result. Alcohol in the taste, but not really any feeling of burn when drinking it. Pretty interesting beer.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Brewvial best in show! I easily drank my entrance fee worth in the love at brewvival. By the end we were blending it with la follie. Hazy orange pour with a thin head. Aroma is cherry, lactic and lemon. This stuff is cantillon sour which is always nice. Lemon, cherry pit, oaky tannins,funk, leather, earthiness and lactic. Really well balanced, super sour and easy to drink. I hope i'll get to drink this again some day

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Tasted on draft at Lush CBC event. Pours pale brown-orange with essentially no head. Nose is sour with green apple, some cereal, and brett funk. Flavors are super tart sour with some rubber, green apple, and vinegar. Carbonation is very lively with a medium body and a long finish. This is a great sour, and displays some of the best New Belgium has to offer.

A: Nright orange color, not like glowing but orangish with good carbonation and a nice white head

S: Tart, citrus, vinegar and wood

T: Big tartness upfront, vinegar and citrus whirling around. Wood hanging out too

M: Tart, funky, medium bodied, little bit of booze and citrus on the palate

D: Its a wild ale, so try it. Good

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

02.07.10 at Toronado

A: tawny, light brown, like murky apricot juice with no head. Luckily, appearances are deceiving, because this didn't look great.

S: right away, full-on brett

T: nice and tart, with what seems like hibiscus flavors and some stone fruit (maybe it IS apricot)

M: stinging with sourness and carbonation upfront, but really mellows out into something smooth

I love Love!

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

On-tap at Brewvival - I'm not sure if it's this or the "Love (Barrel 34)" so I'll go with the name as printed at the festival.

Pours a hazy golden-orange color with a thin white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of tart fruits - tropical fruits to lemon to orange - and vinegar. The tartness is just short of being over the top and is great.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Robust fruit flavors that are distinguishable despite the large amount of tartness associated with each. Earthy flavors come in to calm things down a bit midway through the sip however the fruit flavors still manage to carry through to a decidedly tart ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass (and a few more) absurdly quickly.

Overall this beer stood up to the best of Belgium (or anywhere else for that matter). Certainly one of the top sours I've had that were produced in the US. Well worth a shot if you see it on.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Served on tap at Toronado in a six ounce glass.

Possibly the best blend of funky tartness and vinegary Flanders. It has super bold crisp tartness up front and the Flanders vinegar come is on the back side. It looks like a Flanders with a deep red body. It blows both La Folie and La Terroir out of the water. I drank it next to Cable Car and it easily held it's own.

3.83/5  rDev -8.8%

I drank this on tap at the Map Room into a tulip.

The beer is a hazy light orange with a decent white head and good lacing.

The aroma is just tart bitter wood. The wood really shows off.

The taste is very woody not as much tart as hoped.

The feel is ok, decent drinkablilty.

So-so wild ale, nothing special, the wood kinda kills it.

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Sheffield's. Poured into a New Belgium globe tulip.

This beer is a hazy orange honey color with a thin layer of white bubbles. The layer thins and leaves a small bubbly collar.

Those nose is very tart apple cider vinegar, mango, peach, apricot, wet wood, some funk. It's really promising!

The first sip gives me sour peaches, iced tea with tons of lemon juice, some woody notes, lot's of floral/herbal sour notes that linger around. It finishes a little dry, but there's an acidic note that sticks around until the next sip. It's very refreshing and a little warming.

Mouthfeel is medium body with some gritty low carbonation.

An excellent sour beer that I've been drinking for a week now. I can only have one or two in a sitting, but I will be really bummed when this keg kicks.

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours a lightly hazy orange with a small cap of bubbles.

S: Stone fruit, with an intriguing pumpkin note.

T: Mango and apricot dominate the palate, strong acidity.

M: Big acid, crisp, smooth carbonation, medium-bodied.

D: Good stuff, maybe in the end though I didn't like it as much as the other stuff I tried that day. Definitely worth a taste though if available.

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Brouwers, served in a snifter.

Pours a hazy orange/golden, some reddish highlights, thick white head forms, settles down to a thick ring, some lace spots stick, looks good. Smell is wow, crazy acidic, vinegar, lemons, charred wood, lightly fruity, oak, crazy sour, blasts the nostrils in a good way. Taste is great too, very acidic and insanely sour, musty, some fruit, charred wood, touch of oak/vanilla, more sour fruit, lemony and acidic, vinegar, very good. Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium carbonation, crazy acidic and sour, awesome stuff. Wow, this is Cantillon sour. Probably the sourest American Wild I've had, this stuff was awesome.

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

On tap at Stone Sourfest, reviewed from notes.

A - Medium hazy gold/orange. No head and no lace.

S - Orange & tangerine. Light funk. Lightly woody. Very citric.

T - Very similar to the nose. Big orange citrus. Light, quick tartness.

M - Light body, quick finish. Small, soft carbonation.

D - Medium high.

A solid sour. Similar to the Bottleworks X, but not quite as complex. Worth a try, for sure.

3.13/5  rDev -25.5%

On tap at Collins Pub today.

The beer pours an impressive hazy orange color with pretty good head retention and lacing. On the nose... sigh.... OK, another over the top sour beer. I get a blast of sour, along with some ice tea and apple vinegar. I can tell already this beer is going to put a hurting on my palate. On the palate, I'm sorry.... the predominate flavors are sour, sour and more sour. Maybe there is also a hint of gin, orange and lime, but the sour funk is just blowing me away. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, and I assume the alcohol is pretty low. As for drinkability, this beer is as drinkable as a blow torch. The sour component just puts my hair on edge. Thank God for the lovely glass of Anacortes IPA I have to wash it away with.

This reminds me somewhat of the Isabelle Proximus, except it's not as complex and is even more sour (IMHO). If you like the Isabelle, you'll probably like this as well. As for me, what can I say? I keep on trying, but with beers like this, it's very slow going.

Note: There are some fruit flies in the pub today, and they've been hovering around my beers. Strangely, they're not the least bit interested in my IPA, but just can't get enough of the Love. I'll leave it to others to speculate just why that may be.

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Tried this tasty beer at the Stone Sour Fest 09. This was their Love Barrel #3

Poured a golden orange with a thin ring.

Notes of honey, grains, a bit of cheesy brett, vinegar, and tart cherries. Latter on I can smell rotting citrus fruits like oranges, grapefruits, and tangerines.

Tart lemon upfront with a bit of cherry, pale malt, apricots, tangerines, semi-dry on the finish but not as dry as others I had at this fest. Some vinegar in the end as well. Medium to high carbonation. Good beer that would be even better and easier to drink if it wasn't for the vinegar in the finish, not that harsh though.

2.42/5  rDev -42.4%

Had this at the Sour Beer Festival at Brauwer's in Seattle.

While I am not in general a sour beer fan...this has to be the worst I have ever had, which is weird cause the best I have had is a NB product (eric's).

A- Looked great, nice lacing, head and a great redish orange color that looked very inviting.

S- Smelled good, with a nice fruity/tart smell that reminded me of something between a sour apple and berries.

T- pure vinegar. This beer is way to over powering even for a sour. While I understand sour beers are supposed to be tart and well....sour but this was just not good at all. Maybe some aging would let it calm down, but man, if I wanted vinegar I would just drink a bottle of vinegar. needs to be WAY more balanced.

M- was pretty good, lightly carbonated and a light to medium body.

D- couldn't even finish a 6 oz between myself and a friend (who loves sour beers). This needs to be aged much longer and perhaps re-blended. Man it looked good and had no flaws besides....the taste.

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

Straight from the barrel courtesy of Eric Salazar, wow the brewery tour you gave Lauren and I was insane man, this was one of the most memorable parts of it too, served in a small snifter, reviewed from notes on my cell phone

A-Golden amber color a little on the orange side, thin 1/2 inch aggressively bubbling white head, disappears pretty quickly, some decent lacing though
S-Funkiness, sour accents, lots of tart, berries, ripe lemons, candied sugar, granny smith apples, cherries, pears, peaches, and vinegar
T-This stuff is awesome and about as tart as it gets, not kidding that I tasted a different fruit each sip I took, even though they were each followed by the same vinegary finish, I sure did not mind being that I am a fanatic of wild ales, flavor could not have been much better, it had a jolly rancher-like sourness that held its own even once it warmed, nice mix of citrus and berries, funk was very nice too, the last few sips had a lot of pear in it and tasted similar to a cider but way better if that makes sense, wish I could drink more of this stuff while I was up there
M-Medium bodied, super tarty and partially sweet mouthfeel due to the abundance of fruit, no carbonation
D-Could drink this stuff until it came back up, highly acidic which would cut down on the amount you could handle, I could have had a few more small glasses no problem though, very inviting and refreshing for a sour

This is the base brew for Le Terroir and Eric's Ale which peaches are added to later on, the huge wooden casks that hold this stuff made me drool just looking at them, this beer is amazing and I want more as I am writing this review for it, highly recommended

3.53/5  rDev -16%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tap sampled on 09/26/08 at Night of the Funk. Pours a light orange with a small white head. Aroma of slight tartness with lots of citrus, orange zest, and a ton of funk. This is a very light tasting beer, almost Berliner Weisse-lke with the slight tartness to it. Pretty good but of course La Folie is better!
7/4/7/4/14 (3.6/5)

4.93/5  rDev +17.4%

Foedre 3, Sampled at the Falling Rock, GABF week 2008
The beer arrives with a hazy, orange tinged, amber hue and is topped by a light tan colored head. The aroma is very fruity and has a big, appetizing, backdrop of fruit vinegar; this last a sort of melange of apricot, rich grape, cherry and balsamic vinegars all tempered by a bracing oak character that adds lots of spiciness and a tannic wood character. The aroma is exactly what my nose was hoping for at this point.

The flavor is quite tart, with a substantial sourness to it that definitely leans towards vinegar, though the lactic character is still dominant. There is a fruity backdrop to the acidity that adds notes of apricots and sour cherries. I really am enjoying the acidity in this beer, it is a fantastic integration of softer lactic notes with a light, but sharp and expressive acetic acid character. I also really like the soft oak component that sneaks in towards the finish as well as the massive fruit character; really seems quite fruity for a beer that doesn't have any fruit in it. The acetic character in this beer is about as much as I have ever had in a beer; tthe fact that I have been sipping sour beers for a couple hours prior to this, really almost required something of this level of acetic character, it really helps to cut through to my palate and is very enjoyable.

This was simply a fantastic experience, I definitely am at a loss to describe this beer, but it was incredibly enjoyable and I was sad to see the last drop drain from my glass. I would love to get more of this to sample in a more singular setting, but have a feeling that if I get the chance it will be a completely different beer anyway.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »