Love (Foeder #3) - New Belgium Brewing

No picture uploaded.

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  6.00% ABV

Single barrel, 3 year old wild beer.

(Beer added by: beerguy101 on 09-05-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by GClarkage:
GClarkage

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Tasted in September 2004 at the Toronado in San Francisco on tap. Noticed a small head when the barkeep poured fro the tap. Looked very refreshing. My buddy swears by this beer as he was furious that it dissapeared for about 2 months from the Toronado. A sour, but not ultra sour beer. Not in the same catagory as Cantillion, but a pretty good and tasty sour beer. Has a big oak flavor behind it. Small amounts of lace that fade pretty quickly. Has some kind of taste that I can't difine. Drinks well. Would definitely try again next time I come.

09-20-2004 23:23:44 | More by GClarkage
glid02

Georgia

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

On-tap at Brewvival - I'm not sure if it's this or the "Love (Barrel 34)" so I'll go with the name as printed at the festival.

Pours a hazy golden-orange color with a thin white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of tart fruits - tropical fruits to lemon to orange - and vinegar. The tartness is just short of being over the top and is great.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Robust fruit flavors that are distinguishable despite the large amount of tartness associated with each. Earthy flavors come in to calm things down a bit midway through the sip however the fruit flavors still manage to carry through to a decidedly tart ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass (and a few more) absurdly quickly.

Overall this beer stood up to the best of Belgium (or anywhere else for that matter). Certainly one of the top sours I've had that were produced in the US. Well worth a shot if you see it on.

03-01-2010 21:34:02 | More by glid02
beertooth

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

On tap at Sheffield's. Poured into a New Belgium globe tulip.

This beer is a hazy orange honey color with a thin layer of white bubbles. The layer thins and leaves a small bubbly collar.

Those nose is very tart apple cider vinegar, mango, peach, apricot, wet wood, some funk. It's really promising!

The first sip gives me sour peaches, iced tea with tons of lemon juice, some woody notes, lot's of floral/herbal sour notes that linger around. It finishes a little dry, but there's an acidic note that sticks around until the next sip. It's very refreshing and a little warming.

Mouthfeel is medium body with some gritty low carbonation.

An excellent sour beer that I've been drinking for a week now. I can only have one or two in a sitting, but I will be really bummed when this keg kicks.

11-12-2009 01:10:41 | More by beertooth
jlb502

11-20-2011 05:09:37 | More by jlb502
nataku00

4.03/5  rDev -4%

On tap into a small wine glass. Beer pours a dark orange, copper, with a small amount of bubbly head. Left a good amount of lacing as I drank from the glass, with the small amount of carbonation feeding a film of head and a few bubbles.

Nose was mainly stone fruits, over ripe nectarines, apricots, sour plums and skins, vinegar, and a dark spirit like rum.

Taste was good, very fruity upfront with peaches, nectarines and apricots and a bit of their skins and pits providing tartness and earthiness. Heavy ethanol like flavor though, even with a relatively low abv, but not overwhelming.

Medium body with a tickling sensation on the tongue from the carbonation, but somewhat syrupy as a result. Alcohol in the taste, but not really any feeling of burn when drinking it. Pretty interesting beer.

08-14-2011 22:00:48 | More by nataku00
largadeer

3.48/5  rDev -17.1%

On tap at Toronado's 21st anniversary party.

Appearance: Beautifully clear golden-amber with a thin white head.

Smell: Very fruity, berry-like aromas, nicely balanced between sweet and sour, with a good dose of funk.

Taste & mouthfeel: Tart fruit flavors of peach and apple, very cidery. There's a balancing sweetness present beneath the sour that I quite liked, but the vinegar-like flavors are more prominent than I care for. I can see this working in a blend, however - with less vinegar it would be quite good on its own.

08-11-2008 19:50:55 | More by largadeer
wedgie9

Tennessee

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Tasted on draft at Lush CBC event. Pours pale brown-orange with essentially no head. Nose is sour with green apple, some cereal, and brett funk. Flavors are super tart sour with some rubber, green apple, and vinegar. Carbonation is very lively with a medium body and a long finish. This is a great sour, and displays some of the best New Belgium has to offer.

05-12-2010 05:01:48 | More by wedgie9
SeattleBeerBlog

2.42/5  rDev -42.4%

Had this at the Sour Beer Festival at Brauwer's in Seattle.

While I am not in general a sour beer fan...this has to be the worst I have ever had, which is weird cause the best I have had is a NB product (eric's).

A- Looked great, nice lacing, head and a great redish orange color that looked very inviting.

S- Smelled good, with a nice fruity/tart smell that reminded me of something between a sour apple and berries.

T- pure vinegar. This beer is way to over powering even for a sour. While I understand sour beers are supposed to be tart and well....sour but this was just not good at all. Maybe some aging would let it calm down, but man, if I wanted vinegar I would just drink a bottle of vinegar. needs to be WAY more balanced.

M- was pretty good, lightly carbonated and a light to medium body.

D- couldn't even finish a 6 oz between myself and a friend (who loves sour beers). This needs to be aged much longer and perhaps re-blended. Man it looked good and had no flaws besides....the taste.

05-16-2009 02:06:10 | More by SeattleBeerBlog
Chambic

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

02.07.10 at Toronado

A: tawny, light brown, like murky apricot juice with no head. Luckily, appearances are deceiving, because this didn't look great.

S: right away, full-on brett

T: nice and tart, with what seems like hibiscus flavors and some stone fruit (maybe it IS apricot)

M: stinging with sourness and carbonation upfront, but really mellows out into something smooth

I love Love!

03-11-2010 23:06:03 | More by Chambic
flexabull

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

Made it into the Toronado last night after a baseball game. What a pleasant surprise to find out it was New Belgium night! 6 different beers on tap, 3 of them sours! Plus, they were all at happy hour prices. An awesome sour beer for $3?! Sign me up!

Anyways, onto the beer.

Pours a bright and clear amber color with a decent head. Nice looking beer, it looks innocent enough...

Aromas are super funky. Vinegar, super sour, and red wine like.

Flavor is very potent. Very sour, like a sour candy. Remember sour patch kids? Just like that, and with a touch of sweetness and a creamy malt flavor. Also a hint of vinegar like funk as well.

Mouthfeel is very nice. Quite full feeling.

Drinkability is good. But whoa! Only one of these for me. It's a power house sour, that I am very glad I got to try. This is up there with some of the best.

06-26-2008 22:51:04 | More by flexabull
John_M

Oregon

3.13/5  rDev -25.5%

On tap at Collins Pub today.

The beer pours an impressive hazy orange color with pretty good head retention and lacing. On the nose... sigh.... OK, another over the top sour beer. I get a blast of sour, along with some ice tea and apple vinegar. I can tell already this beer is going to put a hurting on my palate. On the palate, I'm sorry.... the predominate flavors are sour, sour and more sour. Maybe there is also a hint of gin, orange and lime, but the sour funk is just blowing me away. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, and I assume the alcohol is pretty low. As for drinkability, this beer is as drinkable as a blow torch. The sour component just puts my hair on edge. Thank God for the lovely glass of Anacortes IPA I have to wash it away with.

This reminds me somewhat of the Isabelle Proximus, except it's not as complex and is even more sour (IMHO). If you like the Isabelle, you'll probably like this as well. As for me, what can I say? I keep on trying, but with beers like this, it's very slow going.

Note: There are some fruit flies in the pub today, and they've been hovering around my beers. Strangely, they're not the least bit interested in my IPA, but just can't get enough of the Love. I'll leave it to others to speculate just why that may be.

07-22-2009 20:12:31 | More by John_M
Stoneman78

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

On draft at Toronado SF, described as "a base beer for Le Terroir, kegged personally by Dave Keene")

Appearance is dense amber/orange hue, thin white head dissipates mostly, moderate lacing

Smell is super tart and funk, light fruits, sweet sugary candy, absolutely delicious

Taste is mouth-puckering tartness that dominates from start to finish, vinegar is present, transitions partly to light fruits (pears, apples, peaches) near the end

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, smooth moderate texture, highly carbonated

Drinkability is fair, higher if you're a fan of sour beers, solid tart flavors dominate with a biting carbonation presence, I'm not sure if this is one one-time special release or not, but I would love to compare it to Le Terroir

07-04-2008 07:40:05 | More by Stoneman78

08-16-2013 07:16:54 | More by APB
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

On tap at Brouwers, served in a snifter.

Pours a hazy orange/golden, some reddish highlights, thick white head forms, settles down to a thick ring, some lace spots stick, looks good. Smell is wow, crazy acidic, vinegar, lemons, charred wood, lightly fruity, oak, crazy sour, blasts the nostrils in a good way. Taste is great too, very acidic and insanely sour, musty, some fruit, charred wood, touch of oak/vanilla, more sour fruit, lemony and acidic, vinegar, very good. Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium carbonation, crazy acidic and sour, awesome stuff. Wow, this is Cantillon sour. Probably the sourest American Wild I've had, this stuff was awesome.

08-27-2009 17:19:18 | More by Viggo
ucusty

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Brewvial best in show! I easily drank my entrance fee worth in the love at brewvival. By the end we were blending it with la follie. Hazy orange pour with a thin head. Aroma is cherry, lactic and lemon. This stuff is cantillon sour which is always nice. Lemon, cherry pit, oaky tannins,funk, leather, earthiness and lactic. Really well balanced, super sour and easy to drink. I hope i'll get to drink this again some day

05-29-2010 15:51:37 | More by ucusty
spycow

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

04-28-2013 22:40:17 | More by spycow
beerguy101

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Tasted at the 2003 Belgian Fest at the Pizza Port Carlsbad. An unblended, unaged La Folie. Medium orange color. Smallish head. Aroma is sour, tart, oaky and fruity. Medium bodied ale. Tart, sour and fruity with a touch of oak. Lighter tasting Flemish Sour Ale. Oak flavors are pronounced. Nicely balanced. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter and oaky.

09-05-2003 02:16:04 | More by beerguy101
Georgiabeer

Georgia

4.58/5  rDev +9%

Had this at Toronado somewhat recently. Not the most attractive beer. Poured as a slightly hazy dark golden with a thin head that settles to a ring. The aromas are quite acetic with some spice and fruit, with notes of pear, cardamom, and malt vinegar. Somewhat unusual. The taste is much more successful- in fact, it is wonderful! Very spicy and very sour- just an explosion of flavors that are absolutely huge! Tastes of black pepper, mace, and even a touch of chilis coupled with a massive malt vinegar attack tamed by the spice and a slightly creamy smoothness. Very smooth and spicy, and almost addictive. Extremely interesting beer and a pleasure to drink.

09-06-2008 03:26:21 | More by Georgiabeer
Gueuzedude

Arizona

4.93/5  rDev +17.4%

Foedre 3, Sampled at the Falling Rock, GABF week 2008
The beer arrives with a hazy, orange tinged, amber hue and is topped by a light tan colored head. The aroma is very fruity and has a big, appetizing, backdrop of fruit vinegar; this last a sort of melange of apricot, rich grape, cherry and balsamic vinegars all tempered by a bracing oak character that adds lots of spiciness and a tannic wood character. The aroma is exactly what my nose was hoping for at this point.

The flavor is quite tart, with a substantial sourness to it that definitely leans towards vinegar, though the lactic character is still dominant. There is a fruity backdrop to the acidity that adds notes of apricots and sour cherries. I really am enjoying the acidity in this beer, it is a fantastic integration of softer lactic notes with a light, but sharp and expressive acetic acid character. I also really like the soft oak component that sneaks in towards the finish as well as the massive fruit character; really seems quite fruity for a beer that doesn't have any fruit in it. The acetic character in this beer is about as much as I have ever had in a beer; tthe fact that I have been sipping sour beers for a couple hours prior to this, really almost required something of this level of acetic character, it really helps to cut through to my palate and is very enjoyable.

This was simply a fantastic experience, I definitely am at a loss to describe this beer, but it was incredibly enjoyable and I was sad to see the last drop drain from my glass. I would love to get more of this to sample in a more singular setting, but have a feeling that if I get the chance it will be a completely different beer anyway.

10-31-2008 05:31:42 | More by Gueuzedude
Floydster

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

Straight from the barrel courtesy of Eric Salazar, wow the brewery tour you gave Lauren and I was insane man, this was one of the most memorable parts of it too, served in a small snifter, reviewed from notes on my cell phone

A-Golden amber color a little on the orange side, thin 1/2 inch aggressively bubbling white head, disappears pretty quickly, some decent lacing though
S-Funkiness, sour accents, lots of tart, berries, ripe lemons, candied sugar, granny smith apples, cherries, pears, peaches, and vinegar
T-This stuff is awesome and about as tart as it gets, not kidding that I tasted a different fruit each sip I took, even though they were each followed by the same vinegary finish, I sure did not mind being that I am a fanatic of wild ales, flavor could not have been much better, it had a jolly rancher-like sourness that held its own even once it warmed, nice mix of citrus and berries, funk was very nice too, the last few sips had a lot of pear in it and tasted similar to a cider but way better if that makes sense, wish I could drink more of this stuff while I was up there
M-Medium bodied, super tarty and partially sweet mouthfeel due to the abundance of fruit, no carbonation
D-Could drink this stuff until it came back up, highly acidic which would cut down on the amount you could handle, I could have had a few more small glasses no problem though, very inviting and refreshing for a sour

This is the base brew for Le Terroir and Eric's Ale which peaches are added to later on, the huge wooden casks that hold this stuff made me drool just looking at them, this beer is amazing and I want more as I am writing this review for it, highly recommended

05-15-2009 22:35:32 | More by Floydster
francisweizen

Alaska

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

On-Tap @ During the Toronado New Belgium party. Reviewed from notes.

Dark glowing golden orange, nice tiny meringue foam headon the top of this one. Aromas are funky and all over the place. Malt vinegar, dirt, spider webs, hat, sour cherry, etc. Taste follows through with sharp citric notes and funk. Very sour and vinegar like. Very authentic. Mouthfeel is creamy vs. prickly. Near perfection. Drinkability is GREAT. This is almost like a La Folie/La Terroir blend. Great f'in blend.

09-24-2008 17:37:21 | More by francisweizen

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

01-10-2013 19:00:51 | More by westcoastbeerlvr
barleywinefiend

Washington

A: Nright orange color, not like glowing but orangish with good carbonation and a nice white head

S: Tart, citrus, vinegar and wood

T: Big tartness upfront, vinegar and citrus whirling around. Wood hanging out too

M: Tart, funky, medium bodied, little bit of booze and citrus on the palate

D: Its a wild ale, so try it. Good