Transatlantique Kriek - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Lambic - Fruit |  6.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAngel on 11-10-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Transatlantique Kriek Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.7/5  rDev -3.6%

The beer pours a ruby red color with a thin pink lace head; very nice. The aroma is great. It is full of sour cherries; quite tart and refreshing. The taste is decent. It boasts of sour cherries and a super tart aftertaste. This is the most sour beer I've ever tried. The mouthfeel is good. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This would be a great drinking beer if it wasn't for the tremendous sour taste. I love tart beers, but this is a little too much. Still, this is a fine beer. (495 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +6.3%

Thanks to Drew for the bottle.

I guess this would be beer's example of New World revisiting the Old. Though the nose is all ripe cherries with hints of musk, the palette is an off-dry melange of fruit and funk.

The taste is never really reconciled: up-front cherry shares the stage with the earthiness of spontaneous fermentation and an inexplicable, repugnant light grain lager finish (could this be the "original New Belgium brew" that's blended in?). This is the most dissapointing finish I have ever tasted.

Transatlantique Kriek is a fun, innovative, and passionate brew. But it just barely qualifies as lambic-style.

Relax, relax.
ng (653 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a bright crimson color with a soft light pink head that coats the sides of the glass as you drink. Nose is a bit candy-like and medicinal at the same time—reminiscent of Luden’s Cherry-Flavored Cough Drops. The same candy notes are present up front in the taste but are very quickly replaced by a tart, sour cherry flavor along with some underlying notes of wet wood. Not the most complex of beers and I certainly wouldn’t call this an “epic blend” as the bottle claims, but it does serve well as a dessert brew. (523 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours an orangish crimson color...no head...Nose has some musty leathery notes..woody notes too...also tart cherries....the flavor is sweeter than I expected...a sweet cherry flavor..not artificial sweet though...finishes with a pucker...

I like this....definitely drinkable and a bit different than the styles I usually drink..definitely sweeter than the other Belgian Lmbics I've tried (which are few)...

I'd drink another of these... (442 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +3.4%

Clear, bright raspberry hue, with a soft, pinkish head atop, looks very inviting so far.
Aroma, sour cherries, but somehow soft, never harsh, spritzy, but mellow.
Mmmm, pucker, the sour hits right away, then gradually fades back, but never leaves the mouthfeel altogether. Medium bodied, medium-length finish, very smooth, well-blended. A bit candyish in the flavor now, like a liquid jolly rancher. Gets milder further in, and while drinkability gets a boost, complexity lacks. Brisk and acidic on the palate, tartness galore.
A very nice brew, one I'd turn to again, just didn't "wow" me much. As much as I wished that it would.
And, thanks to vitriola for this one. (672 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured a fantastic cranberry-red color that was clear with a thin bright white head. Has that cherry flavored sucrets aroma that is sweet and attractive. Highly carbonated mouthfeel with a puckering dry finish. Flavor is a bit thin but tart cherries are dominant. Somewhat simple in my opinion and lacking complexity and depth. I would have enjoyed a more bold flavor to compliment the full aroma of this one. (409 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +7.3%

One of the brews from weefishheads. I pour this into a chalice I picked up at a recent belgian ale fest.
The brew poursvery clear, fruit punch red, with a thin pink head around the rim of my chalice. Not a lot of head sticking around.
The smell is cherries which are obvious during the pour. Smells similar to a cough drop cherry. As it warms this gets a little more sour smelling. The aroma actually also has faint similarities to a blush wine.
Extremely mild carbonation present. The body is medium and again reminds me of drinking a mild blush wine. There is tart cherries up front and a tangy flavor slides down the sides of my tongue. This is very nice!
Actually some yeasty twang comes out as I savor this brew. The finish leaves hints of sourness in my mouth. As the beer warms a little the cherry flavor is covered by a bready yeast flavor a little.
This beer is really drinkable and I am glad I didnt drink it fast since the complexity improved as the beer warmed.
I recommend this to others who like to taste some different brews.
Thanks for a super surprise weefisheads!! (1,092 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

I always look forward to new brews from the folks up in Fort Collins. Pours with a brilliant cherry color with a concurrent deep tangy cherry aroma with a slight hint of chocolate. The body is smooth and pairs well with the predominant flavor of sour cherry and a mild bitterness. The brew on a whole is entirely refreshing. Very tasty and unique in its creation. (363 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +19.3%

I saw this beer for the first time this week while vacationing in Beaver Creek and had to try it.

It poured a beautiful deep raspberry-rose color with a foamy pink head, erupting with a lovely aroma of cherries with a wheatish soul. Soft in the mouth and a bit tart, this is a new favorite. Taste is full of wonderful sour cherries with a distinct lambic character (courtesy of Brouwerij Boon) with a tart, dry finish.

Not nearly as sweet as it smells, this is a wonderful change of pace, and is pretty drinkable. Yummy, different, wonderful. (550 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -0.3%

Appearance – A perfect shade of red and very clear. The head was almost non-existent, which is often the case with this style.

Smell – The cherries jump out right away here. There’s a faint sour aroma as well.

Taste – The cherries step back a bit at the taste, allowing the sour flavor to come out a little more. This is well-balanced and tart with a subtle horsy taste at the end.

Mouthfeel – I don’t see any carbonation, but this one is light and tickling on the tongue. It will also pucker those cheeks in.

Drinkability – I popped this one in the middle of the day and it went down quite well. I’m not a big fan of the style but this offering by New Belgium seemed to do the job. (702 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -6.5%

Luscious cherry red color. Clear and beautiful. No head forms upon the pour. Only the slightest of collars. Lace is nonexistent. Huge cherry sweetness on the nose. Literally almost like cherry pie. There's also some brown sugar sweetness and just a little vinegar like aroma in the background. I like the aroma. This beer tries to be sweet, but it's not in the long run. It starts sweet, with cherry sweetness hitting the tongue in a blast, but it's gone in a flash. Cancelled out by some lambic acidity and tartness. Cherry is the predominant flavor, but not sweet nor tart. This one finds a middle ground. Some slight granular sugary sweetness pops up in the mouth for a moment, but then it's gone as well. The lingering aftertaste is more bitter and tart than sweet.

Interesting brew, but nothing I'd run out to grab a lot of. (832 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

A beautiful cherry red color, topped by a pink head. This beer is quite clear. The aroma is strongly of cherries, with a strong tart note running throughout. It is quite an intoxicating cherry candy aroma. The taste is quite dry, the cherry candy sweetness from the aroma is not here, but the cherry flavor is. Fairly sour as well. This would be a good aperitif. Quite sharp in the finish, a hint of spiciness that compliments the dominant cherry flavor of this beer. The cherry in the aroma is so bit, it is quite amazing. (523 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -1.8%

Thin reddish-purple hue, not as deep in shade as I expected, a smattering of bubbles dotted the top of the beer. Lovely looking but I was expecting more. The nose is lush with ripe cherries, both sweet and tart, similar to cheery pie. The potency is modest but a mouthwatering invitation is released nevertheless. The cherry flavor is prevailing upfront; a strong tart sensation sweeps it away in the middle, the biting acidity cleanses the palate with a dry furry. The finish is sharp, swift, and ultimately empty with only kisses of woody-almonds. The aftermath is dry; I’m refreshed yet parched. I was a bit underwhelmed as I leisurely quaffed it. The cherry sensation did seem to last a bit longer on the tongue after every subsequent sip but I never got the full-flavor taste I was expecting from an “Epic Blend.” The body was medium and hinted a being fuller than it actually was, a low, natural, distant carbonation helped fool my senses. I laud New Belgium for taking on such an endeavor and I’m thankful for Fat Tire’s popularity for making this financially possible. But I was not trilled with Transatlantique. I assumed NB would brew a knockout Kriek and, in my opinion, they did not. It is above-average and quite good but maybe not worth the $10 I paid for the four-pack in Lincoln. (1,300 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Aroma: Like cherry flavored cough syrup. On the edge of sickly sweet. Some oak woodiness also comes through.
Appearance: Bright clear red with a pink frothy head that laced with abundance
Flavor: The sour horse blanket lambic taste slaps down any hint of cloying. Where the nose is all about sweet, the taste is much more complex and balanced. Cherries, of course, but much more of the oak flavor and a tart sour come through as well.
Mouthfeel: Light medium body and enough sour tartness to about invert my entire mouth.
Overall Impression: You never see the alcohol coming with all these flavors. This is an intense beer. Wood, ripe, almost overripe cherries, and a potent lambic sour melt into a great beer. Drinkability may be an issue, my mouth can only tolerate so much tartness, but this is an excellent dessert or appetizer beer. About the only down point in my opinion would be the nose. While the sweet smell compliments the taste well, by itself it’s a bit too cloying. Also, an outstanding label. Recommended. (1,033 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +6%

The color as it spills from the bottle a translucent ruby color, the head is creamy and moderate in size also a quite attractive light pink in color, the lace after decomposition of the head a silky sheet to cover the glass. Sweet cherry like nose, nice malt under layment, fresh and quite appealing, reminds me of a “Cherry Coke” from by gone years, start is sweet and nicely malted, the top middling in its feel to the palate. Finish is disciplined in its acidity, the hops meek and pleasant, Lambic tart, cherry flavor last to the very end, desert dry and quite a nice change of pace, like “Mikey”, I think I like it! (624 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +12.2%

The Kriek poured a clear cherry red with a pretty insignificant fizzy head that quickly went to a thin skin. It had a strong cherry smell, with some sour hints. Nice tart cherry taste with a sour finish. The taste becomes smoother as it warms with a more pronounced sour taste. Even taking into account the sourness, this is a very drinkable beer. (347 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -2.9%

My first Belgian Lambic style brew and definately not my last. Brewed by Boon and New Belgium and in my hometown. Quite the interesting story behind this beer as well. I won't bore you with the details though...you probably already know. Now onto the beer.

This beer pours a pinkish red almost like a White Merlot. This beer requires a vigorous pour to aloft the beautiful light pink head. Unlike anything I have ever seen.

The aroma was full of sweet cherries and some sourness that I could pick up through the nose.

The first taste was an eye opener. Really Really sweet with a vast array of cherries and some woodiness, then some sourness was left lingering on the palate. This Kriek definately improved as the beer warmed. The cherries became slightly more dominate and the sourness came out more.

The beer was odd. I didn't really enjoy it during the sitting but, I really miss it and can't stop thinking about revisiting it. (945 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -24%

Clear lurid Luden's cherry red. Only the finest whisp of a white head which is quickly gone. Frankly, it looks artificial.

Nose is sour acidic cherry with a touch of earthy, stemmy character adding a bit of complexity. At least it doesn't smell sweet!

Sour cherry leads on the palate, but it quickly gives way to a thin, acidic midpalate. Touch of bready malt kicks in on the short finish. Seriously lacking in complexity, and has a huge hole in the midpalate.

Very lightly carbonated. I'd like more here, as there is not a lot of interest on the palate. Overall, a depressing effort, considering the amount of planning and expense taken to produce it. I was hoping for much more, and this effort does nothing to move Boon up my personal ranking of lambic purveyors. (775 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +16.4%

After a quick, and somewhat violent pour, there was little head. Still, the fuzz that floated the top, pink in hue, remained through the entire session. The liquid below looked like someone had switched filters on me. Suddenly, the high contrast red filter was affecting my beer. Its not a surprise like the first time, but a pleasant treat.

The aroma is heaven. Imagine sniffing a cherry tootsie pop. Childhood memories flush through my nasal cavity.

The taste is also very pleasant. Sweet, tart, and the malt body even gives it a tootsie flavor. There's a slight effervescence that can hide the flavor on some sips, but mostly its a smooth taste of cherry.

Its a very pleasant drink, but not a good compliment to a meal. Even muscles. I knew better than this, but I started it before dinner and didn't finish it until afterwards. (841 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +6.5%

Appearance: Love the label on this one. The ruby-red liquid poured out of the bottle with a bit of a syrupy, viscous look to it. The light pink head was minimal at best and fizzed itself away in a matter of seconds. This beer looked nice sitting in the glass. Occasionally, it seemed as though there were also some amber hues buried within the crimson liquid.

Smell: The clean, tart smell of cherries was obvious from the first sniff. Also present was wood and a soft sweetness that might have been vanilla. Overall, not very complex, but exactly what I was expecting.

Mouthfeel: This beer was very smooth, much smoother than I expected and that I think it should be.

Taste: There was just a hint of sweetness on the tip of the tongue, but it passed almost instantly as tart cherry and strong oak flavors arose. It had a very dry finish that led into an aftertaste that consisited of, you guessed it, cherries and wood. The cherry flavor lasted longer, becoming slighty sweet again.

I was very glad to see that this beer had little sweetness to it. It was much drier than expected. I would have liked there to be a bit more tartness as I thought the oak flavor dominated. Still, a great beer. (1,204 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

What an interesting brew! It pours very red with a slight brown hue to it (looks kind of like cough syrup). There is little foam to speak of, just some residual bubbles forming around the edge of the glass. There is a very thick cherry and woody aroma. But there is something odd about the smell that I can't quite place my finger on, not bad just different. The taste is obviosly heavy on the cherries. Its sweet at the begining of the sip but ends somewhat tart. Slightly bitter with a little bit of a cedae/sprucy spiciness to it. This beer is somethingworth checking out if you like the ocassional fruit beer. (613 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last