Frambozen Raspberry Brown Ale - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-03-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Frambozen Raspberry Brown Ale Alström Bros
2.63/5  rDev -27.5%

Its the holidays - and I was very much looking forward to the holiday brew from New Belgium, a brewery that has been one of my standards as of the past 6 months. That being said, this beer is pretty disappointing.

Appearance: Ooh la la. This beer is so festive. It pours a vibrant crimson red and seems to glow like an ornament. It has a fluffy head the dies very quickly but leaves traces on the glass.

Smell: Eeww la la. The smell is like highly concentrated raspberry syrup. I'll assume its raspberry by the name, but it mostly smells like fake fruit.

Taste: It begins with a dark malt flavor that sweetens up quickly into the afore mentioned artificial syrup flavor...which i have dubbed "Nast-berry".

Mouthfeel: Typical body. Its nothing special but nothing poor.

Drinkability: If you like the Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic or McCoy's Raspberry Ale, you might like this beer. This is also a good segue beer for people hooked on wine coolers. But for people who really like beer, this is not acceptable. I won't buy it again.

GuinnessSmurf, Nov 22, 2004
2.7/5  rDev -25.6%

12 ounce bottle, BevMo Sacramento (Arden Way), $7.49 for a six pack.

Poured into pint glass, cellar temp (maybe a tiny bit at the warm end: 54*F ambient.) Bottles states Best Before date of 26 Jan 07, advises to serve at 50*F, states 6.5% ABV.

Pours with a huge, tight head that is pinkish tinted tan. This changes to a much rockier, larger bubbled head as it dissipates. Head ultimately goes away almost completely; leaves some light lacing.

Smell is fruit (raspberries, duh) and a slightly sour, vegetal note. Hmm. It also smells like some household cleaning or renovation product that I just can't place: I want to say like the underlayment for the laminate flooring I put down, but that's not it. This smell isn't a horrible one, but not appropriate for beer, either. On further smelling, I get a sense of stale oil.

Taste is sweet fruit essence that dominates most other flavors. It has a fairly bright, tingly mouth. I like the flavor, since I bought it to be a raspberry beer, but it's a little too much of the essence/extracted style of fruit beer. Minimal hops detected. There is a light caramel sweetness and malt flavor. The brown ale provides a nice backbone for their use of raspberries (which would probably overwhelm a blonde or wheat.)

With the exception of the somewhat rank smell, it's a very, very average beer, bordering on mediocre.

I like this beer reasonably well, and am not unhappy that I had to buy a six pack to get it, but I wouldn't buy it all the time. As with many of NB's offerings, I can't shake the sense that they are undercutting quality, malt bills, and hop bills to keep pumping out the product and maintain/build the market share.

warmstorage, Nov 30, 2006
2.7/5  rDev -25.6%

Pours a beautiful dark reddish brown with thin off-white head and copious sticky lace.

Smells bready and yeasty with just a hint of caramel malt and faint chocolate. Surprisingly, little in the way of raspberry aroma.

Smooth and creamy mouthfeel with prominent late carbonation.

Taste is complex with typical brown ale caramel sweetness giving way quickly to overpowering tart raspberry and ending with a clean dry finish. Alcohol is well masked by the tartness, but sneaks up on you quick. Tartness is a bit out of balance and tarnishes other good flavors.

A fine winter seasonal, sure to please beer afficionados and family members who like fruity concoctions as well. One by the fire is great, but I don't think it would make a good session beer for me.

mghotbi, Nov 10, 2006
2.73/5  rDev -24.8%

poured a hazy murky reddish brown witha thin thin head. lots of raspberry in the aroma, very siliar to rasp. jam/jelly almost seems a bit artifical. just a touch of sourness in the taste followed by a fairly average brown ale with a bit of raspberry mixed in. personally i'd like some sourness to counterbalance some of theoverpowering raspberry syrup in the aroma and give some more character to overall beer. not really worth picking up IMO.

shippos, Jan 10, 2005

Skye1024, May 12, 2012

GRG1313, Mar 02, 2013

SBoyar1, Jan 31, 2013

IPAchris, Jul 20, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -24.2%

12 oz bottle received in a trade with a generous BA who I will have to pour through notes to identify. Sorry friend, but in the meantime thank you.

Pours brownish burgundy with a thin white collar and some thin whispy surface coverage.

Smells of freshly pureed raspberries which is a high five. Underneath lurks an oddly sickening medicinal presence which is raw dogs.

Tastes is at best underwhelming and at worst gross. Raspberry puree from the nose falls flat and lacks any real punch. Sourness is muddled while being neither sour nor tart and the medicinal creeper from such prequels as the nose of this beer jumps from his shadowy corner to awkwardly say hello. The fruit isn't fruity enough, oh the inappropriate jokes in poor taste that have been lobbed here...but I digress...and the sour aspects just aren't really sour. Adding to the disappointment is that the base brown ale just decides to show up and puff his chest when really he should just go sit his dumb ass on the bench. Swing and a miss, ass hat.

Mouthfeel of brown sugared watered down promises.

BarrytheBear, May 12, 2011

Pillowburn, Jan 02, 2014

McAndrew, Jun 30, 2013

15.5 IBUs
OG 1.016
12 oz bottle with a best by date of 02/20/2011 poured into a Saison Dupont glass on 12/16/2010.

Appearance 5/5
Brilliantly clear, deep ruby brown with a light pink colored fluffy and persistent head that left excellent lacing.

Aroma 3.5/5
Mostly raspberries in the nose and they too are not strong enough: neither in terms of sweetness, nor flavor. Some lightly sweet milky notes that I am not sure I liked.

Taste 2/5
Light sweetness and some flavor of raspberries but nothing remotely resembling "wow". Finishes clean with some tannic notes and some hoppiness. I hated it.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability are ok (3/5 on both). This beer is full of mediocrity in my opinion.

tewaris, Dec 22, 2010

Smarty_Pints, Dec 14, 2013
2.78/5  rDev -23.4%

Served from bottle into a New Belgium globe. Poured a ruby red-orange with one finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma as comprised of sweet malt, raspberry, fruit, and cream. The flavor was of sweet malt, raspberry, cream, roasted malt, and fruit. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a fairly average brew. I have to be completely honest here… I really didn’t enjoy this brew too much. It wasn’t as my doppelganger’s fiancée says, “nasty crap”. But one bottle was pretty much enough for all of us drinking this one. Four of us had a bottle while spreading mulch and none of us went back for another. While it wasn’t one of the worst brews I’ve ever had, it just wasn’t nice. Wish it would have not been a brown ale as that might have saved it. But to each their own I suppose…

thagr81us, Mar 30, 2012
2.78/5  rDev -23.4%

12 oz. bottle into a snifter.

A: Pours a reddish brown with a finger of frothy, almost fizzy white head, lines the glass with a splotchy lace.

S: Tart fruit..definite raspberry maybe some strawberry as well. Don't get a ton else except some biscuit and maybe a touch of grass.

T: Up front tart raspberry but not super sour by any means. The raspberry tastes a bit too artificial and there is a lingering sweetness.

M: Medium bodied with a pretty high carbonation and a fizziness to it that doesn't sit extremely well. Tart finish with very low bitterness.

O: This is interesting...but not really my cup of tea. Glad I bought a single.

Mikecap, Feb 02, 2014
2.85/5  rDev -21.5%

I would first like to say I don't like this style of brew to begin with but if I did I'm sure I would enjoy this one from my favorite brewery. A very dark red.It smelled like raspberry's and you can tell it is very fruity. Was the first fruity brew I've tasted and I did not like it. The taste was very fruity and tasted like raspberry's. It tasted like a wine cooler and I will not drink it again.

Bruiser81, Dec 14, 2002
2.85/5  rDev -21.5%

It appears reddish brown in color with a small tan head.

It smells a little of caramel and toffee and raspberries, it also has a bit of an earthy flavor to it.

I taste quite sweet. There is a bit of a caramel and a toffee flavor as well as a yeasty bread flavor. These flavors back up the strong sweet raspberry flavor. There is little tartness to the raspberry it is primarily just sweet.
The carbonation is moderate low.

The drinkability is ok but it is too sweet to drink a lot of them.

Overall, this is an ok beer but it seems to be a bit one dimensional and a little bit too sweet for my taste.

chumba526, Dec 23, 2010
2.85/5  rDev -21.5%

I'm going to admit something right off the bat. Fruit-flavored beers are very low on my enjoyment list. Never been a big fan. So that'll bias this review lower than usual. Here we go, though.

A: Great looking beer. A deep ruby red with a thick, two-finger width head that stays with it throughout the drinking. Leaves behind quite a lot of lacing.

S: Raspberry, raspberry, and raspberry. Great surprise there. Lot of sweetness in the smell.

T: Raspberry tartness at the forefront, a sharp, tart taste. Really big in the back of the throat. A little bit of malt flavoring, too.

M: Medium-bodied, fairly smooth. If I was a fan of the fruit beers, this would probably be pretty high up there. As it is, not bad for the style, just far from my favorite style.

ScorpyX, Jan 12, 2012
2.88/5  rDev -20.7%

a - pour is clear dark red. must be filtered. nice pink head forms.

s - candy raspberry dominates. is this fake raspberry? the nutty brown ale base is faint.

t - tastes like a nutty brown ale with raspberry syrup added. wtf BA? this is NOT a 3.8, B+, beer. and what is this alcohol bite?

m - med/light body. carbonation is fine.

overall - I don't know if its just because I am spoiled with NG Raspberry Tart or what, but this is clearly raspberry syrup. I don't care if the website says they use real raspberries. Maybe they use 10% real and 90% artificial flavoring. Its not a horrible beer, but its far from a good one, especially from a brewery that knows how to make good beer. I won't buy this again, and I didn't finish even the half bottle pour I had.

levifunk, Dec 17, 2010