Frambozen Raspberry Brown Ale - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-03-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Frambozen Raspberry Brown Ale Alström Bros
3.7/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep coppery reddish brownish color with an off-white head that settles quickly to a ring. Smells of extremely fresh raspberries. One of my favorite fruits and it's luring me in. Seriously, about as real as it gets with the fruit scent and something many others can't accomplish. Light caramel/chocolate malt under it. Taste also has an authentic raspberry flavor but it almost makes you pucker with tartness. The malt flavors seem less authentic and actually detract for the excellent raspberry addition. Mouthfeel is somehwhat light and lacking on the carbonation..it seems like there's more but it's just that tartness getting to me. Still, about good for drinkability to me. The smell is more realistic than any other fruit beer I've had so far. The tartness and somehow a tad too much malt make this less drinkable than it should be. So much better than I expected, though.

Thanks to tayner for the bottle...she's the greatest.

3.2/5  rDev -11.8%

A: Nice dark ruby color with little white head that disappears quickly leaving fine lace behind.

Smell: Fruity and sweet.

T: Wow there's a lot of raspberry in there! Very fruity taste and a little tart. Not too sweet.

M: Nice carbonation, smooth to somewhat watery.

D: Good beer but one of those that I can only drink one of at a time. Too fruity to be more than a nice after holiday dinner drink with dessert.

3.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12 oz bottle into shaker pint glass.
A: Pours a clear red (with a hint of brown) hue. Moderate carbonation produces a 1/2 inch white head with decent retention.
S: Nice fresh, sweet, and tart raspberry note. Faint hint of caramel malt in the background.
T: Follows aroma fairly closely...a nice raspberry note with a mild caramel malt backbone.
M: Light body. Mild carbonation tingle. Sweet with a mildly tart finish.
D: A solid brew--especially for style, but just not special. An easily drinkable (and very sessionable) holiday beer...would be a great one for a larger gathering where the focus is more on the company and less on the beer.

3.7/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip Style Glass. Like the name mentions, it comes out a standard brown ale color. When held up to the light it's still brown, but has many reddish features as well, has good clarity. There's an off white colored head that produces some good lacing and glass retention. A good looking beer.

I'm not a fan of fruit beers, but if I was, I'd say for raspberry fans, there isn't much room for improvement. Frambozen does have some traditional beer malt and hop aroma features, however the dominant smell is raspberries, hence the name. We're not just talking raspberries here though, we're talking fresh, sweet, and juicy raspberries. After that there are tones of of toffee malts and some floral hops.

Taste isn't nearly as good as the smell. Much like the smell, it's raspberries that dominate the flavor. My gripe here is that it doesn't taste as much like beer as the smell does. There's sweetness in the smell, but more of a tart, almost sour flavor from the raspberries, which kind of makes it like a wild or sour ale.

Mouthfeel is ok, it doesn't feel as clean as it looks. Slightly oily and a little yeasty. The tartness makes you pucker a little bit, and it doesn't finish that clean either, drinkablity is ok.

Overall it's a pretty good beer I guess. As I mentioned earlier I don't like Fruit beers and I'm not a sour fan either. However for the style and what it was going for I think it's creative and I can see why people would like to drink it. I don't regret trying it and I'd probably give it another shot in the future given the opportunity.

Thank you chugalug06 for this beer as an extra in a great trade!

4.7/5  rDev +29.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a white wine glass - I think this is an older bottling from 2006 - Cellar temp

Appearance: Cloudy brown ale with ruby and orange highlights. The head reaches 1.5" and is off-white in color. Decent retention with a tiny bit of lace.

Smell: Fresh and muddled raspberries. Very authentic raspberry aroma probably because they use the real thing. Sugary malt, fresh corn and strawberry.

Taste: A very juicy raspberry taste. I have never has such an authentic flavor in a raspberry beer. Sweet malts are subsidiary, but contain a perfect amount of sugar. Fantastic.

Mouthfeel: Chewy beer with a medium body. Very smooth and not much active carbonation. A little bit of dryness lingers on the top of the tongue. Not much alcohol.

Drinkability: Awesome. My new favorite raspberry beer. Perfect sweetness. Quenching and satisfying. Could easily stand alone as an aperitif or dessert.

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

2.75/5  rDev -24.2%

15.5 IBUs
OG 1.016
12 oz bottle with a best by date of 02/20/2011 poured into a Saison Dupont glass on 12/16/2010.

Appearance 5/5
Brilliantly clear, deep ruby brown with a light pink colored fluffy and persistent head that left excellent lacing.

Aroma 3.5/5
Mostly raspberries in the nose and they too are not strong enough: neither in terms of sweetness, nor flavor. Some lightly sweet milky notes that I am not sure I liked.

Taste 2/5
Light sweetness and some flavor of raspberries but nothing remotely resembling "wow". Finishes clean with some tannic notes and some hoppiness. I hated it.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability are ok (3/5 on both). This beer is full of mediocrity in my opinion.

3.93/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Deep red with a slightly pink head. Really, quite neat looking.

S- Sweet raspberry, brown sugar, caramel.

T&M- Fresh raspberry up front and then it fades into the malty brown ale. The fade has sweet chocolate, maybe vanilla, caramel, with a faint raspberry tartness. The flavors work well together but I think it could benefit from a creamier mouthfeel.

Good holiday beer for a raspberry fan who happens to like brown ales.

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

A: Pours a cola colored with a reddish/brown color to the head. Lots of lacing down the pint glass.

S: Smells very fruity. Faint nutty and smell as well. I'm also picking up a hint of chocholate as the beer reaches the bottom of the glass.

T: Taste is very sweet of raspberries, also a slight malty flavor. I do like the taste, however it doesn't taste like any beer I've ever had. I don't mean this in a bad way but, it tases more like a raspberry flavored crystal light or snapple drink.

M: Fairly light on carbonation, very smooth.

D: I'm not a huge fan of fruity beers really at all. I can see myself drinking this once in a while I suppose, however not more than 1-2 at a time, it was really too sweet for me. I bet this beer would be real good in some sort of marinade or paired with something else while cooking.

2.75/5  rDev -24.2%

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

3.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, best before 26 Feb 2012. This pours a nice amber color with a large tan head with a nice lacing. The smells are of a little fruit, some nuts, brown sugar. The feel is medium to light. The taste is more tart than I expected, but also light, a little fruit, brown ale, okay.

4.18/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours a ruby color with mahogany highlights and a pink tinged tan head that retains well and leaves beautiful lacing...really impressive looking. The aroma has fresh, tart raspberry notes in spades, along with dark chocolate and toffee, sour cherry juice and a bit of alcohol...not particularly complex but very inviting nonetheless. The flavor is reminiscent of a dark chocolate truffle with a raspberry filling, notes of sour cherries and raspberries, some chocolate and toffee, lactic sourness, NB's trademark yeast, biscuit and some alcohol. The mouthfeel is moderate and drinkability is good but just shy of great because of the acidity. The is a particularly tasty offering from New Belgium, not a training wheels fruit beer by any means...probably my favorite offering from this brewery so far.

Frambozen Raspberry Brown Ale from New Belgium Brewing