Abbey Belgian Style Ale - New Belgium Brewing

rAvg: 4
New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Abbey Belgian Style Ale Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

3.33/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.56/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My second (and unfortunately, last) bottle of this from the Folly pack I picked up earlier. Poured into a standard pint glass, probably a bit quicker than I should have since the head came thiiiiis close to overflowing! Still managed to fit almost all of the beer in the glass... but just barely, there was a lot of head on this one.

Color is a nice dark brown, with a light tan head. With the help of a light I can see little bubbles streaming up from the bottom, though it's dark enough that I can't make them out without any extra light. I can actually hear the fizzing of bubbles, even a couple minutes after the beer is poured when the head is starting to shrink away a bit. Head shrinks into more of a thin "coating" on top after a while, but doesn't ever vanish entirely. As I drink more of the beer, wide bubbly trails are left behind on the inside of the glass. To put it simply, this is a very nice-looking beer.

Smells... good! Not in a "this is regular beer, but it's a good one" sort of way, but in a way that reminds me more of banana bread. Dark toasty banana bread. Actually, nearing the end of the glass I noticed just a bit of a coffee-like smell too. I don't drink coffee, but I do think some of it smells pretty nice, so there's another plus for tnis one there.

Taste is mostly toasty and bready to start with, but there's definitely a lot of banana-like flavor in there too. The banana seems to be kicking in earlier this time compared to the first one I had. There's also another interesting sweet flavor (or two?) that pops up sometimes; reminds me of tropical fruit flavored bubblegum or cotton candy or a mixture of the two. But interestingly, it never seems overly sweet to me. It's like... sweet flavors but without the "feeling" of sweetness, if that makes any sense. Also, it makes my burps taste like banana bread.

...And for the first time I think I'm starting to "get" the concept of mouthfeel. This feels both substantial and easy to drink all at once, somehow. It's not watery-feeling but at the same time there's no harsh fizziness or any other weird feelings, just a very slight warmth sometimes (from the 7% alcohol, I assume.) It's a beer I drink slow because I want to taste it for as long as possible, not because going faster would be unpleasant.

Basically... I can't think of anything I don't like about this beer. I don't believe in "perfect" (hence my unwillingness to hand out 5's...) and I'm sure I'll probably find beers I like more eventually, but this is one of the few beers that's really *amazed* me so far--and even better than that, it was still amazing the second time I had it! I look forward to trying more of the darker Belgian-style ales (and having this one again!) in the future.

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

4.84/5  rDev +21%

4.45/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark copper almost brown color with a thick head that dissipates to ring like lace. Great aroma! Maple syrup, bannanas, a boozy liqueur like feel and even a hint of coffee. Taste is fruity, malty sweet and with a dry boozy finish. Good feel. Lively carbonation that settles as the drink warms. This is my first foray into New Belgium Brewing co. and am thus far impressed. A good interpretation of Belgian Dubbel!

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%