Abbey Belgian Style Ale - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Abbey Belgian Style Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 747 | Hads: 2,093
2.2/5  rDev -45.1%

When I first had this about a month ago, I figured that is is a noble attempt at an American brewery going after a Belgian Abbey Ale. With first taste, it seems like it may mimic an authentic (currently my favorite is Chimay Grand Reserve). I'm sorry if I don't review beers according to the 'standard.'
A) Don't really care - beer is for my tastebuds, not my eyeballs.
S) Not too bad, smells like an authentic Belgian Abbey, makes me happy since there's a possiblity I can pay American prices for an imported Abbey beer.
T) This is (of course) the most important review. At first, it meets all expectations. Holy crap, this tastes like an authentic Abbey brewed Belgian brew! Unfortunately, it fades into a metallic aftertaste. My quest for a Chimay Grand Reserve replacement continues. My goal is to find an accectable cheaper (and more reliable replacement) for Chimay and it continues. Sorry, but as much as I congratulate New Belguim for this attempt, the aftertaste kills this beer.
M) Yea, it's OK. My determining factor is the taste, and the aftertaste kills this one.
D) Since I bought a sixer of this one, I will drink it, but it's not an enjoyable one.

2.41/5  rDev -39.9%

It tastes like bubblegum. It has solid Belgian-style flavors otherwise, but the overpowering bubblegum flavor is sickening. I wish I had more to say about this beer, but all that really matters to me is that it has a bubblegum flavor and that's never what I'm going to want in a beer.

2.42/5  rDev -39.7%

Bottle. sweet candy sugar apple, brown sugar. This is a joke right? Poor effort, this isn’t a double. And despite some Belgian yeasty flavour (minimal), it doesn't even taste true to the Belgian style, just sweet, flat and dull. Quite sticky and one dimensional. Very dissapointing.

2.47/5  rDev -38.4%

Reviewed 06/30/10

Poured to New Belgium tulip.

A: low visible carbonation, ocassional rise from etching. Dark brown with excellent clarity. No retention of head.

S: sweet, figs, coriander, hint of plastic.

T: Yeast highlights this flavor for me. I prefer a little more sweetness in this type of ale.

M: low to no bubble mouthfeel.

D: Simple, brown ale in body, unimpressive.

2.5/5  rDev -37.7%

Pours amber/ruby in appearance with a big head. Smells malty, sweet, yeasty,a touch of alcohol. Flavor is really sweet, hit me like raisin bubblegum which I really did not like at all. Mouthfeel was medium bodied. I would not bother with this one again. I really wanted to like this one, if for no other reason than its pricepoint, but next time I have a craving for an American Abbey Style Ale I will stick with Ommegangs.

2.67/5  rDev -33.4%

I love Belgian ales, and I have tried quite a few, so this one was up against some excellent competition. For it's style, I must confess, it is quite below par in my opinion. Pours a brownish amber into my tulip glass, with almost NO head whatsoever, even on an extremely aggressive pour. Smells of yeast and caramel, with some artificial-smelling fruity hints like bruised apple and pear. The taste just doesn't cut it for a Belgian-style dubbel. A bit of frutiness, alcohol is noticable, much caramel and a bit of phenolic acidity. In almost all New Belgian ales, I find there is a "artificial flavor added" taste to them. That may or may not be the case, but I feel like they add coloring and flavor to some of their ales. The mouthfeel of this ale is oily and plain flat. For those reasons, the drinkability of this ale is below average. I am reviewing it for the style, so all in all, not impressed.

2.68/5  rDev -33.2%

Served in a bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Dark brown amber coloring with about two finger lengths of head.

S- Has a chocolate/caramel scent with some hops. Not too strong.

T- Pretty much tastes as it smells. Caramel/Chocolate with a dry, hoppy finish. You can also taste the alcohol pretty well too.

M- Kind of bitter and dry. A little harsh, but also has a smoothness to it.

D- Can probably have 2-3 of these in a session if you like them.

Overall its an OK beer. I'm not a big fan of anything with a chocolate or caramel taste. Can taste the alcohol too easily as well. A decent beer, but nothing great in my book.

2.7/5  rDev -32.7%

Poured an amber brown into a chalice. Smells sweet and malty. Unfortunately the taste doesn't live up to the hype people gave it. It's sweet and malty up front with a touch of hoppy bitterness at the end. Overall a not a really good beer. It tastes like you took a good dubbel and added water to make it "drinkable!" Disapointed!

2.74/5  rDev -31.7%

I'm not an expert in Belgian Style ale's but this reminds me a lot of a hefeweizen that's been skunked, has WAY too much banana or was otherwise mis-handled. However, if you remove the banana aspects by switching yeasts to a more standard ale yeast I think it would be a great Belgian. It's on the malty side, but with a balanced hop presence. If you like banana you'll love this one, it's just not for me. Won't finish the 6 pack. It's going on my "i need to offer a beer to someone to be polite but I really dont know if you're worth a good beer so have one of these" shelves in the beer fridge right next to the Bud Light Wheat.

2.76/5  rDev -31.2%

Must confess that I rarely try beers as yeasty as I expected this one to be. It came as some surprise to me that the beer poured a slightly reddish, fairly dark brown colour. There was little head.

Smells yeasty with a little hint of some spice.

Carbonation is more noticeable than I would have expected. Initially I notice some spicy banana flavour. Then the yeast and the rather subtle hops hit me at the same time.

I wouldn't drink another, but that is no real reflection on the beer's quality. I found New Belgium's Trippel (also from the bottle) much more palatable when I tried it a few weeks ago.

2.8/5  rDev -30.2%

Dark brown pour with a good tan head in a trappist glass. Standard fruity belgian yeast smell, but more lightly than most of the style, and mixed with a dark roasty malt like smell and flavor as well. As it warms big notes of licorice come through and stay. Taste was similar to the smell and was perhaps my favorite belgian beer, and I'm not a huge fan of them. I could definitely see this growing on me, and could get this again.

2.82/5  rDev -29.7%

Recieved this beer an extra from drumrboy22 (good trader btw). Dark brown hue which can be seen through.

If I were to close my eyes and smell this beer, my first thought would be Franziskaner Hefe-Weissber. Smells of a hit of brown sugar but banana aroma is at the forefront.

Tastes of banana and bubble gum which I'm not fond of.

Mouthfeel not viscous but fine for what it is.

I feel it would be more fitting to call this a dunkel than a belgian abbey ale. I don't think I'd purchase this beer, but I'm glad I had a chance to try it.

2.9/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle from my trip out west over christmas

app: A wonderful blend of dark amber, ruby, and garnet. Fluffy tan head that fades to a nice cap and thick lace.

Smell: Yeasty, sour funk. Sweet fruitcake like aroma. Darm rum. And a healthy dose of herbal hops.

Taste: A slight fruitiness and zesty yeast quickly followed by an earthy bitterness from the hops and roasted malts. A bit of tobacco flavor which is rather off-putting. Rather bland and unidimensional in the flavor department

Medium plus mouthfeel with low carbonation. Perhaps not enough secondary fermentation to produce the necessary carbonation.

I've had this before and it tasted better...perhaps a bad bottle?

My review stands until I get out to CO again

2.91/5  rDev -27.4%

Pours reddish/amber with a huge off white head. Left lots of lacing. Aroma at first is a huge whiff of alcohol that clears away to reveal some apple and strong fruity smells as well. Alcohol taste was at the forefront, which mellowed out to a smoother somewhat fruity middle and a warm, alcohol aftertaste. I had a bit of trouble truly enjoying the flavors here - the alcohol taste was much too strong, and the unbalance here overpowered any other flavor nuances that may have been present. I found the flavor to be less than the aroma indicated. Good mouthfeel, medium body. This dubbel was pleasant, but rather docile as far as flavor goes. I have been far more impressed by other dubbels.

2.92/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Pours a deep copper color that is transparent. There is a one finger tan head that has average retention. There is some slight lacing.

S - Smells of yeast, brown sugar, and apple. Sticks around during the whole drink. Nice.

T - The alcohol in this is WAY too overpowering. It fusses with a sweet syrupy taste that inst very pleasant. There is some slight brown sugar and yeast. I hope this is a bad batch.

M - Not enough carbonation helps bring out that awful alcohol fusion.

D - I'm really disappointed in this. My friend had this a few weeks ago and loved it. I also see I am in the minority among my fellow BAs. Again I hope this is a bad batch, as it wasn't easy to finish.

2.93/5  rDev -26.9%

A nice dark mahogany color fills the glass topped by a very anemic looking head. The thin film that passes for the head leaves moderate lacing.

Aroma is of yeast, some banana and a metallic note at the finish. Kind of a lackluster smelling brew.

The taste is slightly more appealing. The aroma is joined by a hint of brown sugar, yet is all comes across in a one dimensional sort of way. Even as it warmed, it didn't open up and reveal anything new.

Mouthfeel was thinner than I'd like in a beer of this style, but still acceptable. I'd also prefer a little more carbonation.

This is a beer I might suggest to someone who's never had this style and would like to work their way up to the "big boys", or who might be on a budget. Nothing very memorable about it, there are loads of better dubbles available out there.

2.98/5  rDev -25.7%

Dark ruby-red color like cherrywood. Smells yeast and like fruits. taste is a nice fruity, earthy, yeasty flavor which I like. Unfortunately this beer upsets my stomach something awful so drinkability is ruined for me. I wanted to like this beer so much but it hurt my belly.

Bottle: Poured a hazy red brown colored beer with a medium head with average retention. I noticed lots of sediment floating in my glass. Aroma is quite sweet with a nice malty tone underneath. At first, I was surprised with the sweetness of this beer, which hides some of the floral malt used in this beer. The end is quietly bitter but lack some roastiness. Something is missing here, not the best dubbel I had…

A - Dark red/brown with a 1 finger head, which dissipated down to a dense thin layer that lingered. Almost opaque in glass, yet when held up to a light appears very clear.

S - Strong fruity odor. Black Cherries and woody oaken scent. Somewhat formidable. No hoppyness, which fits the style.

T - Strong black cherry flavor. Blunt and apparent, with woody complexity. Not as complex as other dubbels however. That's disappointing. Slightly malty but not overly sweet. Tastes like I'm sucking on a plank of oak soaked in black cherry juice. Mesquite flavor is apparent on the aftertaste.

M - Creamy and full. Every time I take a sip, I feel as if my mouth is coated with a layer of velvet.

D - This is a beer that requires small to medium sips that must each be enjoyed fully. Not sessionable. Unchuggable. Acceptable for the style.

Overall I was disappointed with this one. It was pretty good, but compared to other dubbels it just doesn't stack up. The price is right though.

Poured with a decent white head that continued from start to finish.Yeah it stuck around. Amber to brown in color. Nose was a little malty, spicy and weakly hopped.Taste followed suit. Had some dubbels in the past and they were much better. Average at best.

3.01/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle, poured into New Belgium's globe glass. pours a bright dark copper color. thick white head, with great lacing.
smell is a strong malt aroma. taste of yeasty bread, sweet malt, but an odd after taste that I can't quite put my finger on, that kind of ruins things.
higher carbonation, but nice creamy head.
not as good as most dubbels I have had. maybe it needed more time in the bottle, as this was a very fresh dated bottle.

3.01/5  rDev -24.9%

12oz into a tulip. Pours a dark clear garnet, unexceptional head.

Aroma is traditional dubbel but subdued. Phenols are obvious.

Thin mouthfeel, slightly watery. Has an earthy yeast backbone and undertones of roasted wood but lacks a true belgian complexity.

I want to like this more than I do - unfortunate. Kudos must be given for price performance which is excellent but think I'd rather spend a bit more and go for something like an Ommegang Abbey Ale which may be the closest in price but much superior a brew.

3.03/5  rDev -24.4%

A- mahogany with 2 finger off white bubbly and fluffy head, great retent, thin soapy lacing

S- grapes and dates, fruity, yeast

T- fruity, grapes, toasted, residual sugars, warming alcohol at finish, bready at finish

M- light bodied, smooth, warm at finish, sticky in after

D- very Belgian like, smooth, easy drinking, well carbonated, fits style well, but not my taste buds

3.08/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Dark, burnt orange colored with a 2-inch high head of thick tight foam that settles slowly leaving craters and dimples as it moves.

Aroma is yeasty, doughey, with hints of spice and lemon.

Flavor is dominating yeast. It's a little doughey, somewhat flowery, but mostly just powerful yeast that overpowers all else. No fruit or candy, no rich malts that I've experienced with other dubbels. Can't even finish the glass. Sorry to the fans, but this one disappoints.

3.08/5  rDev -23.2%

New Belgium Abbey

pours dark brown/red with a small head that left some lacing, but not much. smells of raisins, spice, alcohol. raisins and dark fruits dominate the taste. thick caramel and sickening sweetness make it difficult to enjoy. creamy and sticky on the palate. quite a strong beer. tasted like a new belgium to me. somehow they all seem to have that same artificial apricot taste. nothing really jumps out of this beer and makes me want to drink it. pretty average across the board for me.

Abbey Belgian Style Ale from New Belgium Brewing