Abbey Belgian Style Ale - New Belgium Brewing

rAvg: 4
New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Abbey Belgian Style Ale Alström Bros
4.26/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.81/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.41/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.85/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.38/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A surprisingly clear light red brown. Light tan head of decent size. Spots and streaks here and there. Clumps of yeast in the bottom of my glass. Nose is sublime. Lots of banana, dark fruits, sugary malted toffee. A boot of alcohol and pepper spice. Taste continues the excellent nose. Toffee flavored malt front. Figs and raisins flow next. Herbaceous biting bitterness gives a bit of a jolt but it works so well. A light coffee lingers with mocha notes as it fades to hops. Feel is to notch. Full and smooth with a creamy carbonation. Not a session ale but quite easy drinking. A superb dubbel period. Love this one.

4.29/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Poured into a pint glass, decent head (poured it too lightly) with a good amount of lacing. Very sticky lace, clings on for dear life! Color is dark brown, little bit of amber and gold, seeing a tinge of sienna maybe?

S: Delicious. Like a frozen banana mixed with caramel, with a handful of raisins. Just enough sweetness to make my mouth water.

T: Smoky, caramel, lots of candied banana (Laffy Taffy-esque). A good amount of bread, but very candy-like. Fantastic taste... But has a very slightly bitter, medicinal, finish.

F: Very smooth, hit of carbonation at the front of the palate and smooths out in the middle and end.

Overall: Very nice, smooth beer to drink on a cold night in Colorado. Smells fantastic, looks like a BEER, and it tastes too good to be mass produced from New Belgium. I love it, and will drink it until the springtime comes around!

3.98/5  rDev -0.5%

A beautiful deep, dark golden-brown. Bubbles, bubbles, bubbles. Nice tan head with pretty nice lacing. Aroma is of fresh baked muffins, with hints of banana and candy. I am not a huge fan, nor an expert on this style of beer, but I will have to say, this is one nice brew. Taste is spectacular with fresh baked pastry and sweet malt notes. I also get some banana and molasses also. Feels, light on the palate with some minor alcohol twang, but that's ok, this is a nice beer and very drinkable !

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

3.33/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.56/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My second (and unfortunately, last) bottle of this from the Folly pack I picked up earlier. Poured into a standard pint glass, probably a bit quicker than I should have since the head came thiiiiis close to overflowing! Still managed to fit almost all of the beer in the glass... but just barely, there was a lot of head on this one.

Color is a nice dark brown, with a light tan head. With the help of a light I can see little bubbles streaming up from the bottom, though it's dark enough that I can't make them out without any extra light. I can actually hear the fizzing of bubbles, even a couple minutes after the beer is poured when the head is starting to shrink away a bit. Head shrinks into more of a thin "coating" on top after a while, but doesn't ever vanish entirely. As I drink more of the beer, wide bubbly trails are left behind on the inside of the glass. To put it simply, this is a very nice-looking beer.

Smells... good! Not in a "this is regular beer, but it's a good one" sort of way, but in a way that reminds me more of banana bread. Dark toasty banana bread. Actually, nearing the end of the glass I noticed just a bit of a coffee-like smell too. I don't drink coffee, but I do think some of it smells pretty nice, so there's another plus for tnis one there.

Taste is mostly toasty and bready to start with, but there's definitely a lot of banana-like flavor in there too. The banana seems to be kicking in earlier this time compared to the first one I had. There's also another interesting sweet flavor (or two?) that pops up sometimes; reminds me of tropical fruit flavored bubblegum or cotton candy or a mixture of the two. But interestingly, it never seems overly sweet to me. It's like... sweet flavors but without the "feeling" of sweetness, if that makes any sense. Also, it makes my burps taste like banana bread.

...And for the first time I think I'm starting to "get" the concept of mouthfeel. This feels both substantial and easy to drink all at once, somehow. It's not watery-feeling but at the same time there's no harsh fizziness or any other weird feelings, just a very slight warmth sometimes (from the 7% alcohol, I assume.) It's a beer I drink slow because I want to taste it for as long as possible, not because going faster would be unpleasant.

Basically... I can't think of anything I don't like about this beer. I don't believe in "perfect" (hence my unwillingness to hand out 5's...) and I'm sure I'll probably find beers I like more eventually, but this is one of the few beers that's really *amazed* me so far--and even better than that, it was still amazing the second time I had it! I look forward to trying more of the darker Belgian-style ales (and having this one again!) in the future.

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%