1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Abbey Belgian Style Ale - New Belgium Brewing

Abbey Belgian Style AleAbbey Belgian Style Ale

rAvg: 4

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Abbey Belgian Style Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,616 | Reviews: 714 | Show All Ratings:
matjack85

4/5  rDev 0%

I got this as part of a build-your-own six pack for $9.99 at the Binny's store in Bloomingdale, IL. 12oz. brown bottle with a date of 08/14/14 on it. This beer must hold up well as this date is over a year and a half away yet.

The beer poured a rather nice looking semi clear reddish/copper color with ruby red highlights when held to the light. Unfortunately it only produced a half finger of off-white head that didn't last long and produced very little lacing.

Sour cherry and wine-like grapiness in the nose, as well as plenty of malt and a touch of alcohol.

Malty, with dark cherry and dark chocolate flavor. Cinnamon/clove spiciness and some warming alcohol in the background. Dry finish. The 3 varieties of hops don't make much of an impact at only 20 IBU's, but give just the slightest bitter bite for balance.
It's on the lighter side of medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

I like even more malt than this in a dubbel, but this is still a tasty brew.

12-30-2012 05:10:10 | More by matjack85
CloudStrife

4/5  rDev 0%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. 14APR13 on the bottle.

A: Pours a clear dark ruby with a one finger off white head. Lots of visible carbonation. Leaves some lacing on the glass. Head takes a few minutes to dissipate to a thin covering.

S: Love the nose on this. A sweet candied belgian yeast with loads of fruit. Has a background of banana.

T: Good take on a belgian here. Great yeastiness and sweet dark fruits. Alcohol is well hidden. Might say its too sweet.

M: Medium body with some good creaminess. Perhaps a little thin for the style but that helps with the sessionability.

Overall I am impressed with this beer. Would recommend everyone give it a shot at least once. In the top 10 American dubbels?

12-21-2012 01:27:34 | More by CloudStrife
jimmah120

4.16/5  rDev +4%

12oz no date into mason jar

look is very clear amber with a small off white head. smell is very bright bubblegum, apple, grain. taste follows with a slick bubbly medium feel.

fantastic drink, all my favorite attributes in a beer: great taste, drinkability, and a high ABV that's well hidden. don't hesitate to grab some. I only wish this was available in 12s where I live. this is all coming from someone who isn't a fan of the style.

12-17-2012 07:40:41 | More by jimmah120
schoolboy

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

We bought a bunch of this drank my first 1 on the bus up to Vail yesterday. This one is served more properly and it looks real nice in the glass. Lots of lace. The aroma is ok but a little weak.it's very smooth and not very yeasty. The aftertaste is pleasant. We have some good regional beers to drink this week.so far we seem to have made good choices.

12-11-2012 01:03:17 | More by schoolboy
StoutHunter

4/5  rDev 0%

I picked up a six pack of New Belgium's Abbey Belgian Style Ale last week for $8.99 at Meijers. I have always wanted to try this beer and I was happy to hear that it would be hitting the shelf this year and I made sure to pick up a six pack when it showed up, so lets see how it goes. It's fairly fresh and a few months before it's best by date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- I like the label on this beer, it's not too fancy, just simple and well done. It poured a pretty clear copper color that took on a ruby hue when held to the light with three fingers worth of light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left lots of nice lacing. This beer looked pretty good with lots of nice lacing, but the color seemed to be too clear for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a larger amount of malts that have a pretty high amount of sweetness and imparts some brown sugar, candied sugar, a little bit of molasses, raisins, wheat, grains, plums, and a pretty big banana aroma that seemed to stick out the most and was pretty nice. After that comes some spices with cloves showing up the most and there's a little bit of alcohol present on the finish. The aroma is good, the banana really takes it to another level but the sweetness is a little out of control.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma, it starts off with lots of malts that have a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness and imparts some wheat, grains, raisins, plums, a little bit of brown sugar, and some banana which doesn't stick out as much as it did in the aroma, but it's nice. After that comes the spices which are mainly cloves and they also show up a little lighter then it did in the aroma. On the finish there's hardly any bitterness at all with a sweet, grainy, banana, and clove like aftertaste. This beer tastes good and it wasn't as sweet as the aroma lead to me to believe, i just wish that the fruits stuck out a little more like they did in the aroma.

M- Pretty smooth, rich, slightly dry, on the thicker side of being medium bodied, with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation that was just a little prickly. The mouthfeel worked well with this beer and it was pretty true to style, I have no complaints.

Overall I thought that this was a pretty good beer, but it really wasn't a true example of a Dubbel, it just had to many aspects that you don't find in the traditional Dubbel's that are from Belgium, while it may not be true to style it's still an all around good beer, i think it should be listed as a Belgian Dark Ale instead, so I'm not going to hold that against them especially when New Belgium doesn't say anything about it being a Dubbel on the label. This beer had good drinkability, it was pretty smooth, the alcohol was hidden well and the flavors did a good job at holding my attention, I could see drinking a few of these when in the mood, but the sweetness might become too much after that. What I liked the most about this beer was how well rounded it was and how complex the aroma was those seemed to be highlights of this beer, I also really like the heavy banana aspect to this beer. There wasn't really anything that I really didn't like about this beer but the sweetness did seem to get a little out of hand in the aroma, but I guess that wasn't that big of a deal. I would buy this beer again, in fact I can see another six pack in the near future to keep on hand for when people come over for the holidays, I recommend this beer to just about anyone. All in all this was a pretty enjoyable beer, I really enjoyed the banana aspect of this beer and it reminded me of one of my favorite Wiezenbocks, it almost tasted like a lighter version of it. Good job New Belgium, this is up there as one of the better brews I have had from them, keep up the good work guys.

12-07-2012 04:55:26 | More by StoutHunter
Mavigo

4.58/5  rDev +14.5%

I have quite a fondness towards New Belgium's beers, and abbey styles are my favorite, especially dubbels, served in a snifter glass.

A: Pours a wonderful amber-mahogany color, with about an inch of off white head with medium amounts of lacing, good amounts

S: Smells wonderful, fruity aromas, plums, raisins, picking up lots of yeast, malts, smells sweet, wheat, grains, I love this kind of smell.

T: Tastes incredible, its sweet, strong yeast feel, fruity, brown sugar, wheat, an almost smoky appeal, hint of hops at the finish, all in good balance, nothing is over down, nothing skewed

M: Great balance, medium carbonation, balanced the sweetness with crispness, very refreshing, great flavor, it's very filling, very rich

O: Overall it meets my expectations and more, it's what I was hoping for and I was not disappointed. It was not too expensive either, great value. Another testament to NB's greatness. Recommended by me, of course.

12-02-2012 02:25:44 | More by Mavigo
buddha5050

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Serving: 12 oz bottle into Belgian Independence day small tulip glass

A: This beer poured a beautiful,clear, coppery, red color with two fingers of a nice tight white head, the carbonation was moderate-high. Realy nice looking beer.

S: First thing that hits you is the malt, and brett yeast smell, the phenolic clove smell is there but in the background along with the slight alcohol smell as well.

T: The first thing I taste is the malt sweetness along with the clove and slight banana taste. Then comes the light hopp bitterness, but dissapates nearly as quick as it came.

M: Carbonation is the first thing you feel right up front, it cleanses the palate, leaving your mouth envigorated and wanting more, of the nice medium body this beer has.

O: This is one of the best in it's style that I have had in a long time, if not ever. Love it!

11-24-2012 04:44:32 | More by buddha5050
JayQue

3.88/5  rDev -3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my Chimay goblet. Looks good. Beautiful reddish copper color and decent size slightly frothy head. THe head hangs in there better than most Belgians and leaves a filmy lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell is average/slightly better than average. Sweet malts, not much complexity.

Tastes pretty good. The sweet malts are the main feature but there is a bit of alcohol bite and some mild hoppiness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is a bit light for a Belgian style beer, but the overall effect is crisp and smooth. Very drinkable.

Dubble has never been one of my favorite Belgian styles but this one is comparable to most Dubbels. Worth seeking out!!!

11-24-2012 00:28:48 | More by JayQue
spoony

Colorado

4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

From a 12 oz bottle (best by date of 24 March 2013) into a chalice.

A-Mostly clear tea-brown colored brewed. Not much in the way of head, even with a pretty heavy pour. More or less par for the course of this style.

S-Heavy, mushy, banana is predominant. There is also a ton of spicy brown sugar and molasses. Quite spiced, too...I get some cinnamon, clove, and allspice. A touch heavy and cloying, but nice.

T-This beer started out a little underwhelming, but really grew on me (I may have poured it too cold). The spices noted above carry some brown sugar, figs, and banana fruit from start to finish. Medium-bodied malt character is also well-established.

M-Not much in the way of carbonation. Quite sweet and medium to heavy bodied.

O-This was a solid representation of the dubbel style and perhaps the best U.S. version I have had in a while. The spices are great, the fruit is there, and the alcohol is nicely integrated. It was a bit too heavy on the spice and sweetness (it reminded me of a holiday brew, actually), but it made for a nice dessert.

11-22-2012 03:54:21 | More by spoony
Winston_Smith

Kentucky

4.48/5  rDev +12%

I'm new to this style, but really enjoyed it.

Appearance: A very pretty dark amber with 3/4 a finger of off-white head. Enticing, to a degree.

Smell: Complex stuff. The other reviews speaking of banana are no joke. First whiff is *BAM* banana. There's also a lot of other complex spices I can't quite identify.

Taste: Banana, burnt spices, a little alcohol (no kidding?!).

Mouthfeel: Perfect carbonation. Not too dry at all. I like it.

Overall: If its accessible to you, give it a try. I liked it a lot. Not for the faint of heart... you will be drunk after three.

11-17-2012 08:20:07 | More by Winston_Smith
woodychandler

4.23/5  rDev +5.8%

If I remember correctly, my local in-person trader, Tone77, dropped this off for me at one point. The backlog of inventory is my reason for not trading or doing anything more than reduction of resources lately. I want to get to everything, but it takes time, which is a precious commodity of late.

From the bottle: "

The pour was magnifique, resulting in two fingers of dense tawny head with great retention. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity and loads of CO2 bubbles in evidence. Nose was earthy, with scents of dark dried fruits accompanied by root and leafy vegetables. Do people still have root cellars? It reminded me of my paternal grandmother's basement. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, approaching a creaminess that it did not quite achieve. The initial sip was quite hot, making me wish that I had let this continue to age. Once I got past that, it tasted very much like dried dark fruits - prunes, raisins, blackberries, black raspberries. My grandmother was one of the last people I knew that did home canning and this could have been a liquid version of any of her fruit preserves, Finish was semi-sweet with the yeast taking a lot of the sugar out of the equation. Good stuff!

10-28-2012 01:59:33 | More by woodychandler
scvance

South Carolina

3.73/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a deep copper amber color with a thin white head. Long lasting with good lacing. Smell is very fruity, cherry and plum notes. Slightly alcoholic smelling. Definitely a lot of sweetness to the aroma, very light hop aromas. Taste is very 'Belgian.' Alcoholic and yeasty. There's a fruity sweetness right up front with some caramel malt character. Slight earthy bitterness in the finish. Low to medium carbonation with a full body, and slightly oily mouthfeel. This is a good example of a strong Belgian ale, a little too fruity and sweet for my personal tastes but still good.

10-27-2012 20:55:33 | More by scvance
Chaoszen

4.4/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Very nice nose. Lots of ripe Bananas and Dark Chocolate along with Fruits. Taste follows nose. Dry finish. This is a good imitation of a real Belgium Trappist. And much less expensive. As soon as we here in America learn to produce the complexity and perfection of a true Trappist Beer we might graduate to world class. Until then I will spend the money for the real deal. My score does not represent a comparison to a true Belgian. It represents how close we are to obtaining it.

10-14-2012 18:12:20 | More by Chaoszen
rlee1390

Indiana

3.83/5  rDev -4.3%

A-Clear ruby, some carbonation, not much. One finger off white head.

S-Spice, raisins, plums and other dark fruits, caramel and candied sugar,and some chocolate?

T-Lots of spice, dark fruits, caramel and candied sugar has an even more prominent role than the nose, slight chocolate and no bitterness.

M-Medium bodied, nice carbonation.

O-A decent Dubbel, but Belgians have done it better and there are better American examples as well.

09-30-2012 16:30:55 | More by rlee1390
LeeryLeprechaun

Colorado

4.18/5  rDev +4.5%

Beer pours a brilliant red with two fingers of fluffy foam. Bubbles surge to the top of the new belgium snifter to maintain the head.

Beer smells of banana and dark malts. Some dark fruit is present- plume. Some candi sugar is present in the aroma as well.

The beer taste of dark malts, chocolate, caramel, toffee, toast, candied fruit. Very complex and a lot of flavors coming to the surface. Wonderful to sip and explore them all.

Mouthfeel is full and creamy.

This is a solid representation of the style and deserving of the name. If you can not pull something off the shelf that is from belgium than this is your next best bet. I have a feeling I would not be able to tell the difference in a blind tasting.

09-29-2012 22:36:26 | More by LeeryLeprechaun
ubenumber2

Arkansas

4.73/5  rDev +18.3%

Ok I know Im not the most well versed beer geek on here, and that I can seem to be a hillbilly from the hills who just had his first real beer , but this is my second all time favorite that I keep in my fridge as my go to beer. The cost factor makes this the beer I drink weekly , if I didnt have to pay 3 dollars plus a bottle for Ommegang Abbey and drive an hour to get it I would keep iit , but this one I feel like for an American made beer really captures the spirit of the style. Pours a nice dark amber color , small 1.5 finger head with small amount of lacing , smell is very pleasant , and the taste starts sweet and finishes a little on the dry , perfect combo for me. You can buy a dubbel from one of the trappist that are better I know , but 6 bucks a bottle or 10 bucks a six pack , at the price range this one is about as good as I can find

09-28-2012 23:22:16 | More by ubenumber2
Jparker37

Wisconsin

3.95/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a goblet.

A - Golden amber in color with ruby highlights. The head is small in size but leaves a tiny cap of that caramel colored head. Has brilliant clarity.

S - Off the bat I get a heap of overripe banana esters. Green apple skin is in there. I get a hint of some ripe red fruit as well. No big phenolics.

T - Has a malt bill consisting of some nice toasty grains sprinkled with chocolate inducent roast. Midway on the palate I can find a smooth raisin fruit quality. I also get a smokey phenol midway. The taste finishes dry with a warmth from its alcohol.

M - Moderate body, mid to low carbonation, Good dryness, finishes with a touch of warmth.

O - Appearance was good but lacking substantial head. Smell showed no alcohol nor malts but had a nice estery profile. Taste was by far its best feature with wonderful complexity. Could use a bit of carbonation.

09-12-2012 23:29:11 | More by Jparker37
mschind

4.4/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle, date illegible.

A- Very clear mahogany. One inch head but not much retention. Some lacing and clinging down the glass.

S- A complex mixture of dark fruit, some banana, brown bread and yeasty esters.

T- Sweet malty esters up front, fruit and yeast notes with alcohol in the finish. Sufficient bitterness to balance the finish.

M- Medium body, not as carbonated as it might be.

O- New Belgium makes it easy and relatively inexpensive to experience the joys of Belgian ales. An excellent Abbey.

09-12-2012 00:27:44 | More by mschind
TCMike

4.48/5  rDev +12%

Produced a finger, and a half of beige head. The beer color was a dark amber, but still translucent.
The smell was bold, and of banana, dark fruit, and wood.
The taste was similar with a hint of hops, and tartness. Medium mouth-feel, and upper-medium carbonation.
Very good beer!

08-22-2012 21:39:13 | More by TCMike
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

4.03/5  rDev +0.8%

New Belgium Abbey has a very thick, beige head with lots of heavy, fluffy lacing left behind, and a clear, copper-brown appearance with an enormous amount of suspended particles floating about- but, no clouds. The aroma is of spicy banana bread, cocoa powder, confectionery sugar, figs, and hard candy, and the flavor is of spicy, cinnamon yeast, bread, cocoa powder, pecan shell, and sweet malt, with very little, in any, bitterness involved with it. No alcohol shows up, whatsoever. The mouthfeel is light and watery, which surprised me, and New Belgium Abbey finishes crisp, refreshing, and highly drinkable. This is very nice, and I rate highly. Get some!

RJT

08-15-2012 15:11:14 | More by RonaldTheriot
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

4.23/5  rDev +5.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a New Belgium globe.
7.0% ABV, Serve at 50°F, Best before 24MAR13.

A - The Abbey pours a clear tawny bronze amber color with a dense ivory head. Moderate retention keeps the tight bubbles from disappearing too quickly as specks of lace are left in the foam's wake.

S - Bold yeast wafts from New Belgium's Abbey with power. Aromatics of cocoa-dusted dark chocolate-covered cherries and sangria-soaked raisins come through with fig and plum following. Chocolate is a big component throughout with caramel malt underscoring the roasted notes. While the alcohol level isn't all that high, it certainly comes out in the nose. This dubbel is full-on potent with yeast esters. Dark candi sugar pops in the finish with bubblegum and banana notes as this beer warms.

T - Potent yeastiness transfers from the aroma to flavor with ease, bringing the flourishing dark fruit notes with it. Chocolate remains one of the bigger flavors from the beer's roasted malt addition, but plenty of the sweetness that's found here is from dark candi sugar and caramel malt. Grassy, earthy notes from balancing hops keep everything in line, though it still leans towards the sweeter side.

M - Abbey from New Belgium has a surprisingly higher level of carbonation for a dubbel as it feels pretty crisp and sharp instead of fuller bodied and smooth, though not to suggest it's thin by any means. This sweet ale is a touch dry finishing with a lingering earthiness that'll bring you back for more.

O - With a brewery name like New Belgium, a Belgian-influenced beer should be no surprise. Abbey from New Belgium takes the already potent, complex Belgian yeasts and makes them explode in this beer, filling the senses with deep esters of fruit and earthiness that pairs well with the sweet malt and mildly earthy hops. This beer's strength, both in alcohol and flavor, pushes it towards being a cooler-weather sipper.

08-12-2012 18:20:28 | More by BeerFMAndy
AdamBear

4.18/5  rDev +4.5%

A-transparent amber with a thin light tan head that fades quickly

S-smaller awesome, like dark Belgian sugars and caramel. Slightly roasted. Medium to strong scent.

T-wow it comes in with a pretty awesome taste much like the nose. Great Belgian sugars and caramel, roasted. Doesn't taste American or artificial. The after-taste is a bit weaker made up of roasted Belgian grains with just a touch of bitterness.

M-creamy medium carbonation with a dry finish

O-I challenge you to find a better dubbel for this price. It's pretty awesome. Doesn't taste what I expect from an American dubbel either. It doesn't taste completely authentic, but definitely not artificial either. I do recommend. Glad I got the 6-pack!

07-31-2012 02:12:47 | More by AdamBear
Florida9

4.28/5  rDev +7%

A: Clear dark mahogany brown. Dark in color, but still very translucent. Forms a moderate white head that reduces to a patchy surface coating. Leaves some light lacing.

S: Fairly nice aromatics. Lots of banana and banana bread, mixed with some dark fruits and spice. Smells like a combination between fruit cake and banana bread.

T: Starts with a bit of a maltiness with notes of raisin and toffee. There are some darker fruits in the mix, plum and what-not, before a little caramel sweetness and a bit more earthy toffee.

M: Medium bodied and smooth. Lower carbonation levels with a mild bitterness. Dry on the finish.

O: A solid brew and an accurate representation of the style. In fact, I think I like this one a bit more than some of the Belgian dubbels for the simple fact that the malts seemed to have been tamed a bit on this one allowing more of the complexity to show through.

07-26-2012 02:44:00 | More by Florida9
axeman9182

3.58/5  rDev -10.5%

12 oz bottle, poured into my Firestone Walker tulip.

New Belgium's Abbey Ale pours a fairly clear red-orange, with just more than two fingers worth of white foam capping the beer. Head retention is just OK, and lacing is har to come by. The nose has a nice balance between esters and phenols. Lots of banana, plum, and fig are the primary aromas, but there's a healthy undercurrent of spice and clove. The whole thing could stand to jump out of the glass a little bit more though. The flavor profile isn't as well balanced. Especially on the colder side, the beer's a bit of a phenolic mess, with very little else coming through. As the beer warms a bit though, the more fruity aspects of the beer start to take on more prominence. The beer still tastes a little bit too heavily of pepper and clove for my taste, but it's definitely better. The body is solidly lightweight, but the carbonation doesn't have the liveliness of the best Belgian style brews. New Belgium's Abbey Ale is an alright take on a dubbel, but it's not one of my favorites.

07-12-2012 22:20:20 | More by axeman9182
RickS95

Indiana

4.08/5  rDev +2%

Medium brown, mostly clear. Not at all hazy like I expected. Nice looking, slightly dirty-white head. Good retention, nice mixture of different sized bubbles. Great stick lace.

Quite a smell. Smells like clove and cinnamon spices on top of ripe bananas. Slight malt scent early on before the spices take over. Really nice.

Has a plum-like, clovey, alcoholy taste. It grows on me with each sip (as does the beautiful lacing). Faint anise/licorice taste in the finish.

Full bodied. Very spicy, but not over the top. Slightly fruity sweetness. Estery, but little hop presence.

I'm not a fan of New Belgium, but this is an impressive beer. I normally buy singles of beers, but am considering buying a sixer or more of this. Relatively easy to drink. Will give most Belgian beers a run for their money.

07-03-2012 01:58:42 | More by RickS95