1554 Enlightened Black Ale - New Belgium Brewing

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Belgian Dark Ale |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-02-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 1554 Enlightened Black Ale Alström Bros
3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a deep black color that is really deep red when held up to light. There is two fingers of off-white head that quickly reduces to a small collar, but there is good lacing left. The smell is full of roasted malt and caramel, very sweet. There is a tiny hint of chocolate aroma as well. The taste has a good amount of burnt malt and sweetness. A good caramel taste at the finish with just a tiny dose of hops. The mouthfeel is just a little light and watery. The drinkability is really good though. A very unique beer, and a good offering from New Belgium.

SheepNutz, Nov 20, 2003
3.6/5  rDev -6%

12 oz bottle. Pours a dark ruby brown with a thick creamy off white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is nutty, lactic roasted chocolate and some medicinal notes.

The flavor is sweet nutty toffee and chocolate malts with a roasted, lightly bitter finish. It is a bit sharp and acidic. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and fairly creamy.

Overall, an enjoyable malt-driven beer. It's not too exciting for me, but makes for a nice fall-back beer.

Beaver13, Nov 11, 2003
4.1/5  rDev +7%

Thanks to Nytmare for this one!
It pours a dark cordovan with a thin beige head and some wisps of lace. The aroma is a nutty malt with a light smokiness. This is mostly a malty brew with lots of caramel notes, nuts and a distant toasty crème brulee. A light taste of pears, mild limes and spices round out this very quaffable ale.

BeerResearcher, Oct 29, 2003
3.65/5  rDev -4.7%

12 oz bottled served chilled in a Delirium Noel glass. Best by date of 11/14/2003.

Appearance: Beautiful brown/ruby colored liquid with a nice sized tan head of tiny bubbles. Head settles down to a small layer of bubbles after a few minutes. Little bits of lacing left on the glass.

Smell: Well balanced chocolate and caramel malt aromas with faint coffee notes. Lightly yeasty. Quite intriguing.

Taste: Slightly bittersweet toffee flavor. Yeasty. Hints of chocolate and coffee.

Mouthfeel: Remarkably light given the tastes. Quite crisp.

Drinkability: A nice quaint beer. Perfect for the fall or early spring. Overtones of stouts and porters but with a Belgian twist. I'll gladly have the other two sent to me, but I'd probably not go out of my way for more.

Thanks to prAna for the trade.

ManekiNeko, Oct 22, 2003
3.08/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured a deep red with a slight head that subsided quickly. I could not detect any perceptible aroma. The flavor was sweet with a dark malt character that hinted at coffee and chocolate with a dry flavorful finish. The body was medium yet somehow i though it would be lighter. A good beer to try if you have never had it.

RenoZymurgist, Oct 21, 2003
3.13/5  rDev -18.3%

Bottle purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane. Poured a very dark brown with minimal off-white head that ceased to exist within a minute. Very mild, malty aroma of dark chocolate. Taste was equally mild. No hop presence whatsoever. This isn't a bad tasting beer. There's just not a whole lot going on with this one. The mouthfeel is rather thin. I think this would be good for someone who is terrified of the notion of a dark beer, as it is very easy to consume.

woemad, Oct 20, 2003
3.43/5  rDev -10.4%

Pretty Disappointed. 1554 pours out as almost a dark red or an opague brown. Poor head retention with minimal lacing left behind on the glass.

The aroma was of a deep heavy malt and other different roasted smells that I couldn't really pick up on.

The Roasted Malt flavor was dominating with this brew. Virtually no hop bitterness. Possibly if there was more of a hop presense this brew would have been a little too sweet. I also picked up a little caramel and some fruit flavors as well.

Overall, Nothing to write home about. Perhaps I don't understand the style but I was hoping for something much bigger.

Crosling, Oct 10, 2003
4.18/5  rDev +9.1%

New Belgium advertises this beer as an attempt to recreate an old European dark lager recipe. It's not a porter or a stout or a bock. It's dark, though, almost opaque, and it looks nice and rich as it pours. Not a large head, and what's produced doesn't hang around too long.

Has a GREAT nose, chocolate and malt flavors rising to assault the nostrils. Drinks very smooth, for all of it's foreboding darkness it's really quite a mild brew. Malt textures are there, almost a sort of coffee taste underlying everything. I can imagine this being a popular style with those who like dark lagers. Mouthfeel isn't particulary exceptional. Finish is very good, leaves me wanting more. Probably the best American-made dark lager I've had.

New Belgium really does create some very good beers. This is a fine addition to their dossier. I bought a six-pack and tried the beer under several different conditions, different foods, times of day, etc. Even tried one from the bottle. Goes really well with a beef dish, or a casserole. Have a couple while watching the ball game, or with a nice pot roast.

Dubblebock, Oct 02, 2003
4.25/5  rDev +11%

Poured a deep and clear copper brown color with a velvety white head. Rich roasted malt aroma. The taste is very smooth and the beer has a light and has a satisfying malt body. Reminds me of a gourmet dark chocolate dessert. The roasted semi-sweetness is complimented by a pleasant bitterness. Finishes smooth and dry.

This is one hell of a dark beer! Excellent.

Thanks to Weefisheads for the sample!

pezoids, Sep 16, 2003
3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

Black color, medium head. Roasted malts, slightly hoppy. Somewhat lighter tasting with an underlying spiciness. Crisp and refreshing, unusual for a black beer. Mouthfeel is smooth and round. Finish is crisp and clean. Aftertaste is malty, slightly bitter. Would be a very good session beer.

beerguy101, Sep 04, 2003
3.78/5  rDev -1.3%

Appearance: Pours a nice dark brown, with a little head. Retention wasn't really there, didn't take long for the head to dissappear into a ring of foam around the edges. Holding it up to the light it's a dark ruby color.

Smell: Not at all what I expected. Not bad, just not what I was anticipating. Smells of roasted malt, light fruit and spice too. Subtle.

Taste: About what it smells like. Some roasted malt charactors, but some subtle fruit and spice flavors as well. Rounds off with some acidic bitterness, but not bad. A little weak.

Mouthfeel: Thin, not what I was expecting, but by now I guess this is normal. I was expecting a thick, robust brew. Instead, I got a thin, not too overpowering brew. Goes down easy.

Drinkability: Easily drinkable. Not something that's gonna fill you up after one. If you're lookin' for something that you can drink all evening with your friends and won't keep you distracted from the conversation at hand by it's overwhelming charactor, then this will work.

This is a good brew for drinking with your friends. It's easy to drink, not overpowering, not too strong. It's a little weak on flavor, but that's probably my expectations not being met on the robust part. It's got good flavor, just a little weak. I'll probably keep this on hand because of the drinkability. Not a bad brew.

Nytemare, Aug 30, 2003
3.8/5  rDev -0.8%

Cool label. Pours a dark coffee-brown with a small light tan head. Looks thinner than expected. Smell is mostly roasty-sweet malts. Tastes like it smells; slightly sweet, roasty malts up front, with a spicy, coffee-bitter finish. Very interesting. It's good, but feels a bit thin on the palate.

alexgash, Aug 19, 2003
3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

Deep garnet-brown under a beige foam.
Wafts of Germanic malts (Munich), dusty chocolate, dirt and black pepper.
Begins with a cottony chocolate sensation that is not dissimilar to eating a fudge stained t-shirt. Sweetened slightly by dry toffee and dilute cranberry juice. Bits of char and wood and earth materialize midway. Sharp, spicy and musty yeast tones. Burnt walnut closure with a lightly flowery hopping.
Thinnish initially. Sturdies itself somewhat as it rests, but remains airy and light.
Quaffable and pretty unique.
Nice enough.

cokes, Aug 14, 2003
3.78/5  rDev -1.3%

Appearance – Nice, darkened head which fades a little too fast but leaves a nice lacing inside the glass. The color is a deep, dark maroon - almost black.

Smell – Pleasant cocoa fragrance with a hint of coffee.

Taste – The cocoa comes out in the taste as well, followed by a coffee/malt flavor and a slight nutty tone. The dark nature of this beer compliments the burnt caramel at the end.

Mouthfeel – A little flat. Even though this is not a carbonated style of beer, I thought it could be a tad livelier.

Drinkability – This beer goes down smooth. Its complexity keeps one entertained, but the mediocre mouthfeel makes it a touch bland.

Comments – New Belgium puts out a lot of good brews, so I was somewhat disappointed with this bottle. It has some good flavors but was flat and uninspiring, a step down from some of their finer efforts.

RoyalT, Aug 04, 2003
3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

Got this one from an old college buddy who brought a collection of beers east, just for me to try!
Pours a very dark, almost black, color with a slight reddish hue. Very slight, disappearing white head. The aroma is singularly roasted malts. Actually, it’s an appealing, enjoyable smell…there’s just not much else going on there. Taste is a mix of caramel and coffee…grainy and a nice underlying dry bitterness. The more I drink of this beer, the more I think it’s a little oily….at times distractingly so. Light to medium body and drinkable.
At the end of the day, it’s interesting, and worth a try, but not outstanding.

Suds, Jul 20, 2003
3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

12Oz. bottle
A very different ale for me. I enjoyed it. Will be a change of pace from time to time.

It pours a dark but not pitch black color. Hold the glass up to a warm light and a magenta color appears. A light head that does not hold for long. The smell is a weak malty scent with a hint of licorice. A very mellow scent.

A nice malty taste with almost silent hops. Floral and a syrup flavor. There is a crispness to the ale to make it not too sweet. I enjoyed the balance. A good mouthfeel and no abrupt change in aftertaste make this a very enjoyable ale.

As I noted above I will drink this ale when I want a change of pace.

Rumrunner, Jul 08, 2003
3.3/5  rDev -13.8%

Originally sampled on 1 May 2003. I am writing this review from my notes. This pours a very dark reddish brown. It has a velvety tongue feel with flavors of sweet maltiness. It has a medium body, and generally creamy. Very nice, a bit different. I'll be sure to pick up more next time I'm in CO

jcalabre, Jun 26, 2003
3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance = dark brown, medium carbonation, a bad pour on my part released a large tan head.

Nose = roasted malts (Coffee)

Taste = interesting 'dark beer'. Burnt toast/dark roast coffee notes, but with a lot of acidity in the brew. Lots of zing to offset the sweetness from the malt. Hops are there 'in balance'
(translation = not enough for me, of course...I always want mo' hops when I say it's in balance. It's fine for the rest of the world, of course).
Mouthfeel = dry, lemon-squirt acidity

I'd like to try this one again, sample it with some different foods. I suspect it would go well with spicy foods like Tex-Mex, Cajun/Creole.

texascarl, Jun 17, 2003
3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

Sampled as a 16oz pint at the Stumbling Monk (Seattle, WA)

Small fight through the smoke to review this beer, but...

Aroma is a soapy roast malt on top of a rich and creamy black beer with ruby high tones with a thin white head that clings to the glass.

Flavor is of spiced coriander malt with a initially sweet malt and roasty metallic finish with a slightly washing hop bitterness

drewbage, Jun 17, 2003
2.83/5  rDev -26.1%

I love Belgian-style beers. However, if it's not from the old country, I approach with caution. Unibroue and Allagash have allayed my fear of Non-Belgian Belgians but it's the New Belgium pseudo-Belgians that I most fear. I like the non-Belgian-style Fat Tire but it's not a tripel, or a dubbel or even a sacrifice bunt. And so all of NB's beers will forever be tainted by this beer, that from which all evil oozes according to some buffoons.

So I approached the BSBA with trepidation. I had tried the NB Trippel and was pleasantly surprised. It was good but not great. Since I liked the Trippel, I thought I'd give this one a chance. After all, it has a purty label.

Well, I have tasted the BSBA and it's not good. I wish I was more creative so I could find a nicer way of saying "this beer tastes like caramelized rat urine." Well, it's not that bad but when you present yourself as Belgian style, you have centuries of other breweries' traditions to uphold.

The BSBA pours a very dark brown, maybe even black, like the purty label says. I see browns...I see black...I see dead people...I don't see much of anything. A dark beer is what it is. Dark. The appearance hides everything but the color. That's why I like them. The murky depths may hide wonderful treasures or on they may be full of evil squids squirting damn bitter ink everywhere.

The off-white head is minimal. Nice lacing, though.

An obviously malty beer, I smell roasted malts. Yes, that's it. Roasted malts. What else do I smell? Not much. Maybe a hint of alcohol. The aroma is not very strong.

Here's a story for you. When I was a little kid, I woke up on a Monday morning in the summer in a daze, obviously still on a candy high, believing it was Christmas. I ran downstairs only to find nothing, nothing but my mom telling me to get ready for school. Now that's disappointment.

And so is this. This beer is the buzzkill of Belgian-style ales. My tasting of the BSBA started and ended quickly. This is indeed a malty beer, but the flavor is really subdued. I also found the BSBA to be a little musty...not dirty, but earthy, I guess. I didn't like that. Other flavors include coffee and caramel with no bitterness to speak of. The mouthfeel isn't bad, smooth and easy to drink...if you like drinking it.

Truthfully, this beer is not the worst in the world. However, for it's style, it isn't the best. It's not even great. I'd say a very solid mediocre. Kind of like Gromit's sense of humor.

kindestcut, Jun 11, 2003
3.48/5  rDev -9.1%

This isn't available in my area, but someone brought this back to me from a trip...and I was pleased with their choice. It's called a black ale, but pours a dark brown. It is differnet though..not a brown ale, not a porter, and not a stout...but some characteristics of each. Malty aroma...roasted. Thats about all I get. You can taste the roasted malts right off, maybe even a hint of smoke. The mouthfeel is crisp though, not something I expected. Hops? What hops? I can't find any. I think it is an interesting beer. Not something I'd want to try to duplicate with homebrew, but I also wouldn't mind having it again sometime.

au1sec, Jun 05, 2003

It poured a nice medium brown with very little foam, but did so lace retention while drinking. The smell was of roasted malts. The taste was very pleasant with the roasted malts with out the bitterness, it was very pleasant. This is there best beer that I've tasted so far. I would by this beer again for the summer.

BeerManDan, May 11, 2003
3.3/5  rDev -13.8%

Appearance: Pours a clear, but dark, mahogany with brown and garnet highlights. It starts with a small head, but quickly and loudly fizzles away to nothing but a tiny ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.

Smell: The aroma is very malty with suggestions of toasted and roasted malts. A bit one-dimensional...

Taste: Like the small, the flavor is quite malty with a touch of toasted and roasted malts. Slightest hint of toffee. There's a slight acidity, as well as a touch of spiciness that shows up towards the end. I detect a touch of roasted coffee in the aftertaste. Hops are all but non-existent. Again, it's a bit one-dimensional...there's simply not much going on in this brew.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated with a crisp mouthfeel. Fairly thin in body. Dry and acidic finish.

Drinkability: Average...like a lot of their offerings, I find this beer to be bland and uninteresting. I'll pass next time.

MJR, May 05, 2003

The label was peeling of this bottle, but I don't blame New Belgium for this.

The beer is a deep brown with a halo of amber. The head wisped away quickly, but left a ring around the surface. The smell was of a superior maltiness. The first taste really agreed. There is a nice mix of carmels, grains, sugars. There's little if any hop to it, which is a style/time thing I'm sure. Its a malty treat though.

freed, May 03, 2003
4.08/5  rDev +6.5%

Bought in the 12 oz New Belgium brown bottle.
Apparentlly according to the label this is a revival from an old brewing book hence the 1554 thing.
This is an exquisite beer to behold..dark ruby red and topped with a luscious coffee and creme coloured head..beautiful!!
Oddly after the gorgeous appearance the aroma was pretty pedestrian , maybe my nose is blocked..i dunno its distinctlly average..some malts and a little fruits, thats about it.
Then the taste is excellent ..nice balance of burnt malts and good hops a well balanced brew, I get some toffeeish hints, dark turkish coffee tastes..very nice
Very good in the mouth so very smooth yet so tongue tingling!!
Over all a good drinkable ale well worth waiting 449 years !!!!

Reidrover, Apr 02, 2003