1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

1554 Enlightened Black Ale - New Belgium Brewing

1554 Enlightened Black Ale1554 Enlightened Black Ale

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Belgian Dark Ale |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-02-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 1554 Enlightened Black Ale Alström Bros

lokiikol, Nov 24, 2011

Tamarack22, Nov 16, 2011

BrutusOrca, Dec 14, 2011

gio540, Dec 02, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +28.7%

I really enjoyed this beer. It is no surprise that i am going to say that this beer has hints of chocolate and some kind of like espresso bean. Poured our a dark brown, nearly black. The head was a good size not too big, not too small. Just the right amount. One of the best beers i had to date.

CU570M, Oct 05, 2006
4.93/5  rDev +28.7%

Poured into a globe goblet from a bottle.

The head was small, but something told me to inhale a bit of it. Whatever that something was, it was right. It tasted just like the sprinkles on top of a chocolate doughnut. Despite the non-aggressive head it laced nicely
Color was a deep root beer like brown.
To be honest, it's hard to compare 1554 to any recognized style as it's based on Beers that are now basically extinct, or so you would believe, reading New Belgium's description of the brew.
It has much in common with Stout, but with a much lighter character.
Strong chocolate-like malts dominate, with only the slightest coffee notes.
I detect a minimal amount of hops, but they could be slightly masked by the roasty cocoa flavors.
The drinkability of this one is horrendously seductive. Definitely what Brits refer to as "more-ish".
For those times I can't get Mogollon Apache Trout Stout (which is most of the time) 1554 is unbeatable.
I'm not always in the mood for this type of Beer, but when I am, this stuff is unbelievably good.

BobJustBob, May 20, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +27.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass

Appearance: Dark brown almost black, the head has a cream look in the beginning and settle to an off white

Smell: Roasty, coffee

Taste: This is where the beer sucked me in, great taste, not really what I expected, Roasted Coffee, little bit chocolaty, slight malt bitterness

Mouthfeel: Smooth, creamy, perfectly carbonated, a lot lighter then what I thought

Drinkability: I could drink it all night, great session beer, clean finish

This is a great beer, very refreshing, I'll be getting this one again

Badgersno1, Jul 28, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +27.4%

One of my favorites. I came across 1554 in a pick six. Instantly loved it and usually have a few in my fridge at all times.

Best way to describe the flavor is roast malt with a hint of chocolate. It's got robust flavor without being too heavy. Perfect beer for winding down in the evening. I enjoy having a small piece of dark chocolate with it.

twitchr, Jul 23, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +27.4%

The 1554 Brussels Style Black Ale was an amazing beer. This is probably my favorite by New Belgium.
The pour creates a nice thick creamy off white colored head that laced the side of the glass all the way down. The color is a very deep red.
The smell is complex but subtle. Hints of burnt coffee and some chocolate dominate. A second smell and I get a whiff of almonds or some sort of nut. Its a strong malty smell that I find very appealing.
The taste start off with a huge coffee taste. It a very deep malty flavor that sort of turns to cherries and then finishes very smokey in the aftertaste as I exhale.
It has a very creamy and rich feel in the mouth very pleasing.

HochFliegen, May 11, 2004

Bomber to snifter

A: Chocolate tar. It looks rich, and creamy. Head is not long lasting, (I drank it too fast to find out)

S: Malty, nutty

T: Wonderful. Makes me want to cry since I cannot get it in NY.

M: Almost warming to the tongue and throat. Not much, but enough to let you know its there.

D: Love love love. If one is good and two is better, 20 ought to do.

CouchCobra, Jul 24, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +26.1%

At the first sip all I could think was...SMOOTH...and then the nice chocolate malt kicked in. A VERY nice drinkable blacl lager that looks as dark as a robust porter but without the overwhelming burnt/roast aroma and taste.This beer is a party in a six pack for the discriminating drinker. I'd love to try in on tap.

Irishtexan, Jan 16, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +26.1%

New Belgium knows beer. 1554 is no exception. I received this beer at a restaurant. It was presented in a tall thin glass. It was very dark and only semi-transparent. It had a 3/4" head which it sustained for about ten minutes. The smell was earthy and sweet. The mouthfeel was nice. It had a heavy feel but really smooth, like silk. The taste was earthy and fruity with a hint of something sweet, perhaps chocolate. As with most of New Belgium beers, I give 1554 two-thumbs-up!!

klmcmachen, Jul 17, 2012
4.78/5  rDev +24.8%

A: Dark Brown with a tan head..

S: Malty, and delicious.

T: Malty, with chocolate and fruit notes.

M: Ggggreat!

D: This is great for Drinkablility ( I still think this word is BS...) This beer is great for a one off, or for a night of drinking.

This is one of my favorite beers. Growing up 45 minutes away from the brewery it is one of my 'home grown favorites.' Trust me, you haven't had it until you have had it from the brewery.

Beejay, Jan 04, 2009