1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lips Of Faith - La Folie - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - La FolieLips Of Faith - La Folie

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  6.00% ABV

Flemish Sour Brown Ale fermented in stainless then transferred to barrels for 1-4 years of aging then blended to taste.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2002)
Ratings: 2,388 | Reviews: 908 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by Bierguy5:
Bierguy5

4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

22 oz bottle, 6% abv. 2012 vintage. Fairly clear mahogany color. No head to speak of, no bubbles, very still.

Sour cherries, vinegar and some funk in the nose. Some oak notes come in as well. Earthy notes at the end.

Sour up front, with cherries and vinegar. Drying oak tannin. A bit earthy and funky. Sour berries linger long in the finish.

Lighter body, alcohol is hidden very well. Outstanding beer here. Very well done for an American brewer. Very solid.

05-20-2012 20:02:30 | More by Bierguy5

04-13-2014 05:08:16 | More by Hopstout
BastardKing24

Oregon

4.49/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a murky brown with a little head that falls fast

Smell is very tart, raspberries, funky cheese, sour cherry, some oak, and a decent maltiness.

Taste is the same with a huge hit of lactic sour right away, with vinegar, cherrys, raspberries, sour apricot, oak, and a subtle maltiness to back it up.

Feel is just right, medium carb.

Overall I love this sour and buy it whenever I can afford to spend 14$ on a bottle.

04-13-2014 03:48:55 | More by BastardKing24
markgugs

04-13-2014 03:14:53 | More by markgugs
StoutHunter

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of New Belgium's La Folie from their Lips of Faith series, for $15.99 a few days ago at Cork N Ale. I've never tried this beer before, but I was looking for some sour beers and I thought I would take a chance on this one since I heard some good things about it, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a Belgian tulip.

A- The label looks nice, I like the flower pattern in the background and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a red tinted brown color that took on more of a darker ruby red hue when held to the light two fingers worth of darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some sour fruity aspects being the first to show up. the sourness seems to be on the higher side of medium and the fruity aspect was a nice combination of raspberry, berry, and cherry like aromas. Up next I get a light amount of some malty and toasted malt aromas, but they don't stick around long and it's followed by a lighter woody aroma. This beer had a very nice aroma, as it got warmer the berry aromas really came through and it made for a great smelling beer.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma, but more intense and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the sour fruity aromas still being the first to show up. but this time the sourness is very high and the fruity flavors still retain those nice berry, raspberry, and cherry like aspects. Up next comes an even lighter amount of malts than I got in the aroma and only a slight bit of malts coming through. On the finish there's some lingering sourness followed by a fruity and berry like aftertaste. This is a very nice tasting sour, but I wish the malts came through just a little more.

M- A little smooth, a little refreshing, mouth puckering, not too acidic, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a very nice mouthfeel, but I think it would be just a little better if it wasn't so mouth puckering.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and I thought that it was a pretty good example of a Sour Ale, it had lots of sourness to it, but somehow it kept from being too acidic, but I think it would be a little better if there was a little more complexity to it. This beer doesn't have the best drinkability, it was a little smooth, not too acidic, a little refreshing, too mouth puckering, but the flavor did a nice job at holding my attention, I think the high amount of sourness would prevent me from drinking more than half the bottle, I think half is the perfect amount for me and I think this would be a nice spring time and summer time beer. What I like the most about this beer was the fruity aspect, it made for a nice flavor and it was for sure the highlight of the aroma. What I liked the least about this beer was the high level of sourness, it was just a little bit past my breaking point and I think it would make this beer just a little better if the sourness was toned down a little, i also think it could be a little more complex. I would buy this beer again, but because of the price I think I would only get one or two and I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys sour beers especially the really sour ones. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer, if it had a little more complexity to it it might be a very impressive beer, but as it stands I enjoyed it even though the sourness was just a little too much to for me, I still found myself quickly coming back for another sip to get more of those great berry flavors. This isn't my favorite sour, but it is up there as one of the better beers from the LIps of Faith series that I have had. Good job guys, this was a really nice beer, keep up the good and creative work.

04-12-2014 21:43:34 | More by StoutHunter

BG24

04-11-2014 23:06:09 | More by BG24
zeledonia

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2013 vintage. 7.0% ABV. Tasted 10 April 2014.

Pours a deep murky brown color, opaque except at the edges. One finger of yellowish tan head, much better retention and lacing than most sours.

Smell is a tart fruity sour with cherries and plums. Quite pleasant, if a bit on the dainty side. Some nice balancing sweet notes.

Taste is excellent. A clean woody sour, with hints of fruit (again, stones like plums and other dark deliciousness). But it alternates fruity and straight-up sour, which I like. Good variety, decent depth.

Feel is quite good as well. Heavier than many, but with prickly carbonation that livens things up.

A beer that adds up to more than the sum of its parts. Just really good across the board. Not many widely available sours are anywhere near this good.

04-11-2014 03:57:54 | More by zeledonia