Lips Of Faith - La Folie - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - La FolieLips Of Faith - La Folie

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.00% ABV

Flemish Sour Brown Ale fermented in stainless then transferred to barrels for 1-4 years of aging then blended to taste.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2002)
Reviews by StoutHunter:
4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of New Belgium's La Folie from their Lips of Faith series, for $15.99 a few days ago at Cork N Ale. I've never tried this beer before, but I was looking for some sour beers and I thought I would take a chance on this one since I heard some good things about it, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a Belgian tulip.

A- The label looks nice, I like the flower pattern in the background and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a red tinted brown color that took on more of a darker ruby red hue when held to the light two fingers worth of darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some sour fruity aspects being the first to show up. the sourness seems to be on the higher side of medium and the fruity aspect was a nice combination of raspberry, berry, and cherry like aromas. Up next I get a light amount of some malty and toasted malt aromas, but they don't stick around long and it's followed by a lighter woody aroma. This beer had a very nice aroma, as it got warmer the berry aromas really came through and it made for a great smelling beer.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma, but more intense and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the sour fruity aromas still being the first to show up. but this time the sourness is very high and the fruity flavors still retain those nice berry, raspberry, and cherry like aspects. Up next comes an even lighter amount of malts than I got in the aroma and only a slight bit of malts coming through. On the finish there's some lingering sourness followed by a fruity and berry like aftertaste. This is a very nice tasting sour, but I wish the malts came through just a little more.

M- A little smooth, a little refreshing, mouth puckering, not too acidic, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a very nice mouthfeel, but I think it would be just a little better if it wasn't so mouth puckering.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and I thought that it was a pretty good example of a Sour Ale, it had lots of sourness to it, but somehow it kept from being too acidic, but I think it would be a little better if there was a little more complexity to it. This beer doesn't have the best drinkability, it was a little smooth, not too acidic, a little refreshing, too mouth puckering, but the flavor did a nice job at holding my attention, I think the high amount of sourness would prevent me from drinking more than half the bottle, I think half is the perfect amount for me and I think this would be a nice spring time and summer time beer. What I like the most about this beer was the fruity aspect, it made for a nice flavor and it was for sure the highlight of the aroma. What I liked the least about this beer was the high level of sourness, it was just a little bit past my breaking point and I think it would make this beer just a little better if the sourness was toned down a little, i also think it could be a little more complex. I would buy this beer again, but because of the price I think I would only get one or two and I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys sour beers especially the really sour ones. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer, if it had a little more complexity to it it might be a very impressive beer, but as it stands I enjoyed it even though the sourness was just a little too much to for me, I still found myself quickly coming back for another sip to get more of those great berry flavors. This isn't my favorite sour, but it is up there as one of the better beers from the LIps of Faith series that I have had. Good job guys, this was a really nice beer, keep up the good and creative work.

StoutHunter, Apr 12, 2014
4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

Thanks to orfeu for picking this up for me while in Nebraska,first off normally I am not a big fan of the style but this, this is awesome.Poured a hazed brugundy spiked with tawny brown a well defined slight off white head atop leaving one ring around my oversized wine glass.Complex to the hilt in the nose so much stuff going on I almost dont know where to begin,tart sour cherry and vanilla I would say are most prominant then the subtle stuff shows thru sherry,phenolic clove,nutmeg,pepper its all there.Quite tart at first it takes a minute to take it in then I start to pick vanilla and a real peppery presence a touch phenolic spiciness finishing with a saltiness that sticks and really hits the back of the tongue whoo!Wow what can I say it seems like each sip gives off something new,as I stated before not a style I go for much but damn how can you not at the very least respect this bad boy,a real gem.

2006 bottle#2006-1139

oberon, Jan 10, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance – This ale came out of the bottle a beautiful reddish-brown in color. The head was modest but pitted well.

The above description doesn’t do this justice. The liquid is thick and a bit hazy with some live carbonation. The edges are tainted with a pinkish peach color that is very unique. It’s hard to describe, but in an understated way this ale is gorgeous.

Smell – The big sour notes come on strongly right out of the bottle. It’s not like lemon, though. It’s more like a spritzy, tart sourness that is of course heavily-laden with fine woody notes.

There is some serious sweet and sour action going on here as well. The toasted grainy malts and wood meld with this aroma to make a beautiful bouquet.

Taste – Ah, this is a good one. The sourness eases up a bit at the taste. It’s quite inviting with a little more malt than I picked up from the nose. The wood is almost all smell and hardly comes across at the tongue. This is a complex and interesting beer.

Mouthfeel – This is in between light and medium-bodied with a good but measured sourness and some modest but very tight carbonation. The carbonation really was a highlight for me. New Belgium did an incredible job in this area.

Drinkability – This is almost like sipping on an Applejack-infused peach champagne spritzer. It really is subtlety at its best, and a lot of brewers interested in getting into this style could learn from the modest nature of New Belgium’s approach.

Comments – I aged this 2004 vintage for a bit then popped it for my 1,400th review. It really is a unique and tasty ale that definitely deserves a look if you enjoy Red or Bruin Sour Ales.

RoyalT, Aug 27, 2005
4.78/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured into a tulip at Toronado in San Francisco. Wow, to say that I am impressed is an understatement. I am completely floored. To think that this was produced in Colorado of all places? I would never have dream this beer to come from anywhere but Flanders. I am so happy with this beer that I find it difficult to put it into words. If I could, I would drink this every day.

Appearance is brilliant. Utterly transparent rose amber body with red copper hues. Assertive carbonation with an ultra long lived pink head. Nose is acidic, containing oak, melon, and sour apples. Taste is tart funk, a blend of rotten cherries, moldy apricot, green apple skins, and Roquefort blue cheese. Mouthfeel is a bit chalky but otherwise difficult to put a handle on. There are so many conflicting sensations going on. Sweet, sour, tart, wet, dry, light, full… I’m all mixed up and I like it. I want to drink a lot more of this.

DaPeculierDane, May 16, 2006

DanGeo, Aug 30, 2014
4.26/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the Oak Cafe. Pours a deep copper-ruby red hybrid letting spotty amounts of light shine through; tan head, decent retention, minimal lacing. Aroma lifts up heavily from the glass with tart apples, strawberries, and a large assortment of sweet and tart fruits popping everywhere. Slight wet-wood and funk scents around the edges, however its very light and certainly overthrown by the cornucopia of fruit.

Taste is initially tart and sour on the very tip of the tongue, pucker inducing; ripe strawberries, green apples, sour cherries, and a huge assortment of other berries dance around the palate. Tart and sour flavors mellow out within a few seconds and turn into a lasting sweetness. Some mild yeast in the background, if nothing more than a foundation for the fruits to build in, it works well. Lots of carbonation, crisp and surprisingly dry, thin-medium body, more on the medium side I would say.

Great sour ale from New Belgium. It's hard to get great sours in the US sometimes, especially ones that are readily available. La Folie isn't cheap, but it's worth picking some up each year when it's released. Authentic fruit flavors are the key - this one nails it. I happen to like sour fruits, and this hit the spot.

tectactoe, Dec 14, 2012

Clear dark reddish brown with a small off-white head that leaves small lacings.

The smell is acidic with tart berry notes and rather prominent notes of caramel. Notes of funky barrel and vinegar as well as some spices and toffee.

The flavor has an interesting and enjoyable mix of sweet chewy malts and a prominent acidity. Aromas of toffee, gentle muted notes of bread. The acidity takes center stage in the middle with nice tart cherry notes, some lemon and vinegar. Notes of grass. The finish is a bit sharp and vinegary with notes of bitter grass and minerals.

Medium body, smooth oily mouthfeel.

Nice one. Complex and interesting. I like how the malts shine through at first.

ricke, Feb 23, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Being a big fan of Flemish Reds I was extremely excited to try La Folie during a tour of the New Belgium Brewery (highly recommend the tour if in the area). After polishing off several other samples to warm up I was finally ready for the big dog. Smell is INTENSE to start, Belgian funk, vinegar, some sour fruit. First sip was so sour and flavorful I honestly couldn't even decide if I liked it. Second helped my mouth adjust a little, and by the third I was completely hooked. Just an explosion of carbonation, sour fruits and yeast every time. If you like sour beers you absolutely have to track this down; when I was at the Brewery 750ml bottles were still availible for purchase.

punkindrublic50, Jun 18, 2008

t2grogan, Oct 05, 2014

CavemanRamblin, Jul 14, 2014

jono0101, May 18, 2013

MaxT, Jul 28, 2013
4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

I took the bottle out of the fridge about 15 minutes before popping the new and improved 22oz bomber and pouring into a NB snifter.

A- Brown with a ruby glow and a small tan head.

S- Mouthwatering aroma. Rhubarb, whipped cream(vanilla), black cherry.

T- The taste is an extravaganza for your tongue.
Intense sourness right off the bat. As that fades subtleties from the oak come in to play with ripe fruit(raspberry, strawberry).

M- Dances on the tongue with a sharp knife-like acidity and finishes dry and tannic.

D- This blend tastes especially good. I've been a fan of this beer since the first time I tried it. In my top five.

brownbeer, Sep 16, 2009

adamleeeck, Jan 13, 2013

Tiernan, Mar 24, 2013

tbryan5, May 30, 2013

Krafty34, Feb 07, 2014

joemetric, Jul 10, 2014

RebeccaMB, May 19, 2014
3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

This malt double had a sweet and sour taste. It reminds me a lot of soy sauce, but it also gives off a blackberry taste. It's aroma is very strong and unique just like vinegar.
Color: Dark
The reason why this beer is dark is because the malt has been roasted.

Dtopete21, Jan 19, 2012

Ben7773, Jan 01, 2014

750ml bottle. #04-2815.

Copper red pour with good clarity and a half inch of eggshell head on top. Active carbonation rises up. Brown sugar, cherry and big wood tannins fill the nostrils alongside the bright sour, acidic aroma wafting off the beer. Vinegar funkiness on the backbone.

Somewhat spicy upfront with brown sugar and cherry accents. Big woody tannins and oak barrel accents rush across the palate as it flows down with a kick of funky, mouth puckering sourness and some acidic vinegar tones, leaving a lingering sour, fruity aftertaste.

This is one of my all time favorite sour beers and I always enjoy it each and every time I get to sample it. A great bottle to share with friends as well. If you enjoy sour beers this is one your need to try sooner than later!

orbitalr0x, Mar 08, 2009