1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lips Of Faith - La Folie - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - La FolieLips Of Faith - La Folie

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  6.00% ABV

Flemish Sour Brown Ale fermented in stainless then transferred to barrels for 1-4 years of aging then blended to taste.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2002)
Ratings: 2,394 | Reviews: 908 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by ThisWangsChung:
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

22 oz bottle poured into a tumbler pint glass. My first sour ale! I'm so excited...

A: Pours a translucent dark burgundy color with excellent clarity. The head is a two finger light mocha color featuring a moderate texture and poor head retention. Not much lacing, either. Still, the body color is so beautiful, I had to give extra points.

S: This really has a lot going on. Tart fruits (such as pear, apples, and cherries), a nicely done oak note, and so on. Like I said, there's so much going on, it's hard to pick out individual scents; even still, it's a fantastic smell.

T: Hella tart, but it's an excellent sensation that's kept in check beautifully. Initial tart cherries give way to a subtle malt backbone, while the finish and aftertaste is full of accumulating oak tannins (not to mention a great lingering sourness - not overdone or too weak, just right). Very vinous, like I expected, with nuanced, pleasant vinegar notes popping up on the flavor profile every now and then. The balance between sweet and savory is pulled off with gusto, as well.

The only thing preventing me from scoring this higher (read: a 5) is simple: I'm not used to sour ales. Like I said, this is my first one (and I don't friggen' care how expensive they are, this won't be my last), but I reckon this would be a great introduction to the style, and it's balanced fantastically enough so that most drinkers will be able to appreciate some of its subtleties without suffering too much palate overload.

M: Moderately creamy smooth, up until the midtaste, where it becomes prickly, coarse, and dry from the oak tannins and healthy carbonation. Quite mouthwatering at times. It's at a weird middle ground in terms of drinkability: do I sip it slowly to appreciate all of its nuances, or do I chug it at a semi-quick pace because it's so damn good? Guess I'll do both options intermittently, 'cause I'm hardcore...

O: As a student who's pretty much on a budget, trust me when I say I'd still buy this again and again. I probably won't in the near future, because of that fact, but it's good to know such an excellent sour is so easy to find in my area. Plain and simple, this rocks.

06-21-2012 22:51:04 | More by ThisWangsChung

04-13-2014 05:08:16 | More by Hopstout
BastardKing24

Oregon

4.49/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a murky brown with a little head that falls fast

Smell is very tart, raspberries, funky cheese, sour cherry, some oak, and a decent maltiness.

Taste is the same with a huge hit of lactic sour right away, with vinegar, cherrys, raspberries, sour apricot, oak, and a subtle maltiness to back it up.

Feel is just right, medium carb.

Overall I love this sour and buy it whenever I can afford to spend 14$ on a bottle.

04-13-2014 03:48:55 | More by BastardKing24
markgugs

04-13-2014 03:14:53 | More by markgugs
StoutHunter

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of New Belgium's La Folie from their Lips of Faith series, for $15.99 a few days ago at Cork N Ale. I've never tried this beer before, but I was looking for some sour beers and I thought I would take a chance on this one since I heard some good things about it, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a Belgian tulip.

A- The label looks nice, I like the flower pattern in the background and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a red tinted brown color that took on more of a darker ruby red hue when held to the light two fingers worth of darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some sour fruity aspects being the first to show up. the sourness seems to be on the higher side of medium and the fruity aspect was a nice combination of raspberry, berry, and cherry like aromas. Up next I get a light amount of some malty and toasted malt aromas, but they don't stick around long and it's followed by a lighter woody aroma. This beer had a very nice aroma, as it got warmer the berry aromas really came through and it made for a great smelling beer.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma, but more intense and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the sour fruity aromas still being the first to show up. but this time the sourness is very high and the fruity flavors still retain those nice berry, raspberry, and cherry like aspects. Up next comes an even lighter amount of malts than I got in the aroma and only a slight bit of malts coming through. On the finish there's some lingering sourness followed by a fruity and berry like aftertaste. This is a very nice tasting sour, but I wish the malts came through just a little more.

M- A little smooth, a little refreshing, mouth puckering, not too acidic, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a very nice mouthfeel, but I think it would be just a little better if it wasn't so mouth puckering.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and I thought that it was a pretty good example of a Sour Ale, it had lots of sourness to it, but somehow it kept from being too acidic, but I think it would be a little better if there was a little more complexity to it. This beer doesn't have the best drinkability, it was a little smooth, not too acidic, a little refreshing, too mouth puckering, but the flavor did a nice job at holding my attention, I think the high amount of sourness would prevent me from drinking more than half the bottle, I think half is the perfect amount for me and I think this would be a nice spring time and summer time beer. What I like the most about this beer was the fruity aspect, it made for a nice flavor and it was for sure the highlight of the aroma. What I liked the least about this beer was the high level of sourness, it was just a little bit past my breaking point and I think it would make this beer just a little better if the sourness was toned down a little, i also think it could be a little more complex. I would buy this beer again, but because of the price I think I would only get one or two and I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys sour beers especially the really sour ones. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer, if it had a little more complexity to it it might be a very impressive beer, but as it stands I enjoyed it even though the sourness was just a little too much to for me, I still found myself quickly coming back for another sip to get more of those great berry flavors. This isn't my favorite sour, but it is up there as one of the better beers from the LIps of Faith series that I have had. Good job guys, this was a really nice beer, keep up the good and creative work.

04-12-2014 21:43:34 | More by StoutHunter