Lips Of Faith - La Folie - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - La FolieLips Of Faith - La Folie

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.00% ABV

Flemish Sour Brown Ale fermented in stainless then transferred to barrels for 1-4 years of aging then blended to taste.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2002)
Reviews by bookerandy:
bookerandy

Indiana

07-07-2012 08:39:44 | More by bookerandy
oberon

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

Thanks to orfeu for picking this up for me while in Nebraska,first off normally I am not a big fan of the style but this, this is awesome.Poured a hazed brugundy spiked with tawny brown a well defined slight off white head atop leaving one ring around my oversized wine glass.Complex to the hilt in the nose so much stuff going on I almost dont know where to begin,tart sour cherry and vanilla I would say are most prominant then the subtle stuff shows thru sherry,phenolic clove,nutmeg,pepper its all there.Quite tart at first it takes a minute to take it in then I start to pick vanilla and a real peppery presence a touch phenolic spiciness finishing with a saltiness that sticks and really hits the back of the tongue whoo!Wow what can I say it seems like each sip gives off something new,as I stated before not a style I go for much but damn how can you not at the very least respect this bad boy,a real gem.

2006 bottle#2006-1139

01-10-2007 23:53:50 | More by oberon
RoyalT

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance – This ale came out of the bottle a beautiful reddish-brown in color. The head was modest but pitted well.

The above description doesn’t do this justice. The liquid is thick and a bit hazy with some live carbonation. The edges are tainted with a pinkish peach color that is very unique. It’s hard to describe, but in an understated way this ale is gorgeous.

Smell – The big sour notes come on strongly right out of the bottle. It’s not like lemon, though. It’s more like a spritzy, tart sourness that is of course heavily-laden with fine woody notes.

There is some serious sweet and sour action going on here as well. The toasted grainy malts and wood meld with this aroma to make a beautiful bouquet.

Taste – Ah, this is a good one. The sourness eases up a bit at the taste. It’s quite inviting with a little more malt than I picked up from the nose. The wood is almost all smell and hardly comes across at the tongue. This is a complex and interesting beer.

Mouthfeel – This is in between light and medium-bodied with a good but measured sourness and some modest but very tight carbonation. The carbonation really was a highlight for me. New Belgium did an incredible job in this area.

Drinkability – This is almost like sipping on an Applejack-infused peach champagne spritzer. It really is subtlety at its best, and a lot of brewers interested in getting into this style could learn from the modest nature of New Belgium’s approach.

Comments – I aged this 2004 vintage for a bit then popped it for my 1,400th review. It really is a unique and tasty ale that definitely deserves a look if you enjoy Red or Bruin Sour Ales.

08-27-2005 03:45:51 | More by RoyalT
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

4.78/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured into a tulip at Toronado in San Francisco. Wow, to say that I am impressed is an understatement. I am completely floored. To think that this was produced in Colorado of all places? I would never have dream this beer to come from anywhere but Flanders. I am so happy with this beer that I find it difficult to put it into words. If I could, I would drink this every day.

Appearance is brilliant. Utterly transparent rose amber body with red copper hues. Assertive carbonation with an ultra long lived pink head. Nose is acidic, containing oak, melon, and sour apples. Taste is tart funk, a blend of rotten cherries, moldy apricot, green apple skins, and Roquefort blue cheese. Mouthfeel is a bit chalky but otherwise difficult to put a handle on. There are so many conflicting sensations going on. Sweet, sour, tart, wet, dry, light, full… I’m all mixed up and I like it. I want to drink a lot more of this.

05-16-2006 21:02:17 | More by DaPeculierDane
DanGeo

08-30-2014 10:20:34 | More by DanGeo
tectactoe

4.26/5  rDev 0%

On tap at the Oak Cafe. Pours a deep copper-ruby red hybrid letting spotty amounts of light shine through; tan head, decent retention, minimal lacing. Aroma lifts up heavily from the glass with tart apples, strawberries, and a large assortment of sweet and tart fruits popping everywhere. Slight wet-wood and funk scents around the edges, however its very light and certainly overthrown by the cornucopia of fruit.

Taste is initially tart and sour on the very tip of the tongue, pucker inducing; ripe strawberries, green apples, sour cherries, and a huge assortment of other berries dance around the palate. Tart and sour flavors mellow out within a few seconds and turn into a lasting sweetness. Some mild yeast in the background, if nothing more than a foundation for the fruits to build in, it works well. Lots of carbonation, crisp and surprisingly dry, thin-medium body, more on the medium side I would say.

Great sour ale from New Belgium. It's hard to get great sours in the US sometimes, especially ones that are readily available. La Folie isn't cheap, but it's worth picking some up each year when it's released. Authentic fruit flavors are the key - this one nails it. I happen to like sour fruits, and this hit the spot.

12-14-2012 12:40:42 | More by tectactoe
ricke

Sweden

Clear dark reddish brown with a small off-white head that leaves small lacings.

The smell is acidic with tart berry notes and rather prominent notes of caramel. Notes of funky barrel and vinegar as well as some spices and toffee.

The flavor has an interesting and enjoyable mix of sweet chewy malts and a prominent acidity. Aromas of toffee, gentle muted notes of bread. The acidity takes center stage in the middle with nice tart cherry notes, some lemon and vinegar. Notes of grass. The finish is a bit sharp and vinegary with notes of bitter grass and minerals.

Medium body, smooth oily mouthfeel.

Nice one. Complex and interesting. I like how the malts shine through at first.

02-23-2010 22:42:25 | More by ricke
punkindrublic50

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Being a big fan of Flemish Reds I was extremely excited to try La Folie during a tour of the New Belgium Brewery (highly recommend the tour if in the area). After polishing off several other samples to warm up I was finally ready for the big dog. Smell is INTENSE to start, Belgian funk, vinegar, some sour fruit. First sip was so sour and flavorful I honestly couldn't even decide if I liked it. Second helped my mouth adjust a little, and by the third I was completely hooked. Just an explosion of carbonation, sour fruits and yeast every time. If you like sour beers you absolutely have to track this down; when I was at the Brewery 750ml bottles were still availible for purchase.

06-18-2008 04:18:52 | More by punkindrublic50

07-28-2013 04:19:31 | More by MaxT
brownbeer

Missouri

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

I took the bottle out of the fridge about 15 minutes before popping the new and improved 22oz bomber and pouring into a NB snifter.

A- Brown with a ruby glow and a small tan head.

S- Mouthwatering aroma. Rhubarb, whipped cream(vanilla), black cherry.

T- The taste is an extravaganza for your tongue.
Intense sourness right off the bat. As that fades subtleties from the oak come in to play with ripe fruit(raspberry, strawberry).

M- Dances on the tongue with a sharp knife-like acidity and finishes dry and tannic.

D- This blend tastes especially good. I've been a fan of this beer since the first time I tried it. In my top five.

09-15-2009 23:03:08 | More by brownbeer

RebeccaMB

05-19-2014 21:22:35 | More by RebeccaMB
Dtopete21

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

This malt double had a sweet and sour taste. It reminds me a lot of soy sauce, but it also gives off a blackberry taste. It's aroma is very strong and unique just like vinegar.
Color: Dark
The reason why this beer is dark is because the malt has been roasted.

01-19-2012 04:32:33 | More by Dtopete21
Ben7773

01-01-2014 22:13:13 | More by Ben7773
orbitalr0x

750ml bottle. #04-2815.

Copper red pour with good clarity and a half inch of eggshell head on top. Active carbonation rises up. Brown sugar, cherry and big wood tannins fill the nostrils alongside the bright sour, acidic aroma wafting off the beer. Vinegar funkiness on the backbone.

Somewhat spicy upfront with brown sugar and cherry accents. Big woody tannins and oak barrel accents rush across the palate as it flows down with a kick of funky, mouth puckering sourness and some acidic vinegar tones, leaving a lingering sour, fruity aftertaste.

This is one of my all time favorite sour beers and I always enjoy it each and every time I get to sample it. A great bottle to share with friends as well. If you enjoy sour beers this is one your need to try sooner than later!

03-08-2009 19:09:08 | More by orbitalr0x

Aaron420

04-24-2014 21:15:31 | More by Aaron420
gregmoscetti

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

The best thing about La Folie - the lack of hype around it.

This is one of the better sours I have had and one of the best of the flanders red style, too. Here is a beer with year round availability, awesome consistency and an overall killer taste, but since you dont have to beg borrow and steal for it, it goes under the radar.

Worst thing: the price. I guess I am the jerk here but for about $15 a bomber (tax=crv), its a little costly. I understand that barrels=$$$ but I would love for new belgium to knock the price on this one down a touch. All in all though, great sour and considering some of the flanders style's I have paid $20 and up for, I, 9 out of 10 times, finish the bottle and say "yea but I would just rather la folie and $5 in my pocket"

03-25-2010 21:16:46 | More by gregmoscetti