Lips Of Faith - La Folie - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - La FolieLips Of Faith - La Folie

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.00% ABV

Flemish Sour Brown Ale fermented in stainless then transferred to barrels for 1-4 years of aging then blended to taste.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - La Folie Alström Bros

LvanB, Oct 09, 2012

Damian74Shensky, Apr 22, 2013

BeeryMcBeer, May 28, 2012

aint_it_strange, May 08, 2012

aussiebeer, Jun 20, 2014

schnay90, Jan 18, 2012

teathomas, Dec 01, 2012
1.58/5  rDev -62.9%

Definitely an acquired taste. I recently tasted it at the Texas Brewers Festival on Galveston Island. At the risk of sounding pedestrian (which I am not, I've home brewed for 20 years) it has to be the worst beer I've tasted.

If you are a sour beer and vinegar lover, it is probably great. On the other hand, if I had paid $16 a bottle for the stuff, I'd have been a little put out. Luckily I got about 3oz at the festival and left about 3.8 oz in my sampling cup. The general concensus was the stuff tasted like balsamic vinegar. Last time I checked a good bottle of balsamic was substantially less than $16 and to my mind, equally refreshing.

The body and color was nice, the carbonation was on the weak side. Overal, like a good malt balsamic vinegar.

So any potential drinkers of this stuff, should know what they are getting into. Maybe it takes a while to learn to love it, but if I had made this, I would have written it up as a mistake and poured the whole batch out, and in actuality, I have 86'd whole kegs of better tasting beer rather than inflict it on my friends. $16 bucks? I'd save my money and spend it on a bottle of good single malt.

KeithPatton, Sep 07, 2010

humpty1602, Jul 23, 2014

cofeeguru, Jan 29, 2013

OriolesFan1008, Jul 06, 2013

mhbarber, Dec 29, 2012

Steven31, Feb 13, 2012

whity, Jul 19, 2014
2.15/5  rDev -49.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

The beer's coloring looks really nice - it's a dark red with absolutely nothing for a head. A very potent sourness and vinegar as you take a sniff, which is expected given it's a sour brown ale. Where I have a real problem with the beer is the taste. To be completely honest, the beer tastes like I drank some funky cough syrup, then upchucked a bit in mouth...but kept it in, so ended up tasting the stomach acid again on the way down. I can't just get past that. I took a few more sips and did get some more flavors - sour apple, sour cherry. The vinegar flavor comes up again in the aftertaste...

I couldn't finish the whole bomber, which is sad given the price - $13 bucks! EPIC FAIL by New Belgium

Appearance - 3.5/5.0 - A pretty dark red with nada for head
Smell - 2.5/5.0 - Oy...vinegar and pungent sourness.
Taste - 2.5/5.0 - GAG - sour, vinegar, cough syrup, stomach acid, with some sour apple & cherry after getting into the beer
Feel - 1.5/5.0 - It certainly sticks with you...
Drinkability - 1.0/5.0 - No way Jose. This is definitely an...acquired taste.

taxguyjase, Jan 15, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -47.2%

Filabee, Apr 05, 2014
2.29/5  rDev -46.2%

I had my growler filled after a recommendation from other member of my local growler club. Having thoroughly enjoyed the other Lips of Faith brews I had tried I really wanted to like this beer. I just could not get my palate into the sour mash. This was my first sour mash beer experience, maybe if I have a few more and become accustom to the flavors I will revisit this beer and re-evaluate.

rdobens, Mar 08, 2013
2.38/5  rDev -44.1%

Served in pint goblet. Poured a very dark brown, almost black, with an inch of tan head that quickly dissipated and left a medium amount of lacing.

The aroma was slightly sweet upfront and had a vinegary sour finish. While certainly sour, this beer was mostly bland, but did have a very dry finish.

The mouthfeel was very thin, but did have a clean, dry finish. Drinkability was good, but with the overall blandness why drink more than one at a time?

beertunes, Feb 14, 2010

Arsenal0328, Apr 11, 2013

barnzy78, Nov 28, 2011
2.53/5  rDev -40.6%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Lips of Faith bomber dated 2011. (revised lightly with more enjoyable 2012 bottle)

Dark reddish brown with a rather short-lived tan head.

Aroma: Unattractive funky sour (OK) and vinegar (yuch) aroma with whiffs of over-ripe fruit and vinegar.

T - Markedly salty and sour: in both cases, more so than any beer I can remember. The saltiness here is not to my taste. [I shared this bottle with two others who confirmed the saltiness]. Hard to get beyond these two striking components, but there is more to the flavor including hints of dark fruits, green apples, and wood.

M - medium body with (too) light carbonation.

O - Avoid unless you love sour beers; if, like me, you dislike vinegar, then avoid in any case.
This was a fresh bottle from a reliable store that was kept refrigerated for about 3 weeks prior to consumption -- otherwise, I'd more strongly suspect it had gone bad. I let a dog sample some and he liked it, although it caused a long bout of sneezing.

chinchill, Jul 21, 2011