Lips Of Faith - La Folie - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - La FolieLips Of Faith - La Folie

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.00% ABV

Flemish Sour Brown Ale fermented in stainless then transferred to barrels for 1-4 years of aging then blended to taste.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - La Folie Alström Bros

1.58/5  rDev -62.9%

Definitely an acquired taste. I recently tasted it at the Texas Brewers Festival on Galveston Island. At the risk of sounding pedestrian (which I am not, I've home brewed for 20 years) it has to be the worst beer I've tasted.

If you are a sour beer and vinegar lover, it is probably great. On the other hand, if I had paid $16 a bottle for the stuff, I'd have been a little put out. Luckily I got about 3oz at the festival and left about 3.8 oz in my sampling cup. The general concensus was the stuff tasted like balsamic vinegar. Last time I checked a good bottle of balsamic was substantially less than $16 and to my mind, equally refreshing.

The body and color was nice, the carbonation was on the weak side. Overal, like a good malt balsamic vinegar.

So any potential drinkers of this stuff, should know what they are getting into. Maybe it takes a while to learn to love it, but if I had made this, I would have written it up as a mistake and poured the whole batch out, and in actuality, I have 86'd whole kegs of better tasting beer rather than inflict it on my friends. $16 bucks? I'd save my money and spend it on a bottle of good single malt.

2.15/5  rDev -49.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

The beer's coloring looks really nice - it's a dark red with absolutely nothing for a head. A very potent sourness and vinegar as you take a sniff, which is expected given it's a sour brown ale. Where I have a real problem with the beer is the taste. To be completely honest, the beer tastes like I drank some funky cough syrup, then upchucked a bit in mouth...but kept it in, so ended up tasting the stomach acid again on the way down. I can't just get past that. I took a few more sips and did get some more flavors - sour apple, sour cherry. The vinegar flavor comes up again in the aftertaste...

I couldn't finish the whole bomber, which is sad given the price - $13 bucks! EPIC FAIL by New Belgium

Appearance - 3.5/5.0 - A pretty dark red with nada for head
Smell - 2.5/5.0 - Oy...vinegar and pungent sourness.
Taste - 2.5/5.0 - GAG - sour, vinegar, cough syrup, stomach acid, with some sour apple & cherry after getting into the beer
Feel - 1.5/5.0 - It certainly sticks with you...
Drinkability - 1.0/5.0 - No way Jose. This is definitely an...acquired taste.

2.25/5  rDev -47.2%

2.29/5  rDev -46.2%

I had my growler filled after a recommendation from other member of my local growler club. Having thoroughly enjoyed the other Lips of Faith brews I had tried I really wanted to like this beer. I just could not get my palate into the sour mash. This was my first sour mash beer experience, maybe if I have a few more and become accustom to the flavors I will revisit this beer and re-evaluate.

2.36/5  rDev -44.6%

2.38/5  rDev -44.1%

Served in pint goblet. Poured a very dark brown, almost black, with an inch of tan head that quickly dissipated and left a medium amount of lacing.

The aroma was slightly sweet upfront and had a vinegary sour finish. While certainly sour, this beer was mostly bland, but did have a very dry finish.

The mouthfeel was very thin, but did have a clean, dry finish. Drinkability was good, but with the overall blandness why drink more than one at a time?

Lips Of Faith - La Folie from New Belgium Brewing