2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lips Of Faith - La Folie - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - La FolieLips Of Faith - La Folie

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  6.00% ABV

Flemish Sour Brown Ale fermented in stainless then transferred to barrels for 1-4 years of aging then blended to taste.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2002)
Ratings: 2,406 | Reviews: 909 | Show All Ratings:
rdobens

Tennessee

2.29/5  rDev -46.2%

I had my growler filled after a recommendation from other member of my local growler club. Having thoroughly enjoyed the other Lips of Faith brews I had tried I really wanted to like this beer. I just could not get my palate into the sour mash. This was my first sour mash beer experience, maybe if I have a few more and become accustom to the flavors I will revisit this beer and re-evaluate.

03-08-2013 00:28:08 | More by rdobens
BlackBelt5112203

South Carolina

3.93/5  rDev -7.7%

32 oz growler poured into a New Belgium globe at fridge-cellar temperature.

L – Ruby brown color with a 0.5-finger tan bubbly head that rapidly dissipates to a ring of bubbles that surround the edge of the glass throughout. A tiny bit of patchy lacing. Some haze but clear enough to appreciate a good amount of bubbles.

S – Red wine, cherries, vinegar, some oak, and maybe some caramel. As the beer warms, certainly more malt becomes apparent with more caramel, chocolate, and plum notes.

T – Tart right off the bat with sour cherries and grapes. Finishes slightly bittersweet with some apple, raspberry, and oak notes. Again, as the beer warms, the sweetness balances out the sourness better with caramel, chocolate, and dark fruit notes.

F – Thin-bodied with good carbonation, a puckering mouthfeel, and a sour and slightly dry finish. Again, as the beer warms, it gains more body and the sweetness makes the sourness more manageable.

O – I really like this beer, and so it pains me to give it anything less than a 4. However, it possesses the misfortune of belonging to a style of beers that can be some of the most brilliantly complex beers in the world. Regardless of the score, this is a very good beer and a fantastic introduction to sours. In fact, it was the very beer that got me hooked on them. This is a very tasty, drinkable, and approachable sour beer.

12-02-2012 21:07:12 | More by BlackBelt5112203
doopydoogle

Nova Scotia (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

A- Brown, almost black, with a thin head

S - Sour raisins, currants, black cherries, kombucha, chocolate, raspberry, woodiness, wild mushrooms, mineral

T - Zesty front with lingering tones of malt, berries, and dark fruit. Some apple tones come through with a lingering meatiness almost. There's good acidity and the beer has many layers to its flavor. There's a bit off woody smokiness as well

M - Vibrant acidity and a good mouthcoating.

O - A good outing for the style

11-03-2011 00:07:07 | More by doopydoogle
clintyeastwood

South Carolina

2.98/5  rDev -30%

Poured with the appearance of dirty rootbeer with a cranberry tinge. Had a thin beige head.

Aromas of red-wine vinegar, underlying sweet smell, over-ripe raspberries? underlying smell of mop water.

Strong balsamic vinegar. tastes of sweet tarts, faint taste of mildew & wet wood.

Mouthfeel is slick & pungent.

Overall, an interesting beer, especially if you enjoy flavors of vinegar. You may find yourself craving a glass of this, as I did after my initial tasting. However, it did seem more of an inital fancy and I found myself boring quickly and had a hard time getting though the growler I had purchased.

06-26-2011 01:06:04 | More by clintyeastwood
Wetpaperbag

Washington

3.4/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A- Hazy orange red color with a good amount of fluffy tan head that stuck around for a while.

S- Cherry, dried fruit, brown ale earthyness, acrid acid with a touch of creaminess.

T- The taste isn't bad, it is sour and kinda made my eye twitch a bit. My teeth are feeling it a bit too, but doable. Reminds me of a cherry warhead. A kinda synthetic cherry taste.

M- Other then eating away at my teeth a bit I have a feeling after polishing off the growler my insides are going to hate me.

D- Good, but see mouthfeel above.

01-21-2011 05:15:42 | More by Wetpaperbag
PEBKAC

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Big Tex goes out of his way & surprises me for my birthday with a goodie. 32 ounces all for me. :D

I think I've tasted some dregs from a bottle once, but I'm feeling like this is a really good time to be a little selfish.

Poured into my favorite Ommegang Anniversary glass.

The glass flips open & I get showered with lovely, vinous mist. 7 out of 10 out of shape beer geeks prefer this to being in the clubhouse after winning the Pennant I bet. :P

It slowly gurgles out the bottle the color of dry blood, settling in the glass a murky oiled brown leather with edges of bourbon. An inch of frosted, slightly orange, coffee creamer head impedes my movement for just a bit.

Smell is all about over-ripe cherry juice & perceived strawberry tartness. To a lesser extent, apple skins, butter, soil, & sweet table wine. Musk. The trail end is just slightly bready.

Taste is vinegary of course but with a lot of soft white wine fruitiness. Lots of palate drying wood, & sour green apple esters. A bit of leather. Salivating pitty apricot tartness & bitter grapefruit rind. Paper dry finish. I consider funky notes a tossup on whether they work or not. This right here doesn't exhibit any barnyard or off-kilter aspects. If it's just done really well, I don't think it needs that quality to be effective. They certainly have the experience & modern equipment to mimic & refine something old world.

Light to mild acetone harshness. Carbonation is just barely there, but I think it works. So dry.

Okay, here's where I say all this negative stuff because I'm such a downer & everyone rakes me for it: The alcohol is noticeable through the fruit notes; eventual cottonmouth; price; heartburn... okay, I'm reaching. It's a very good beer with insignificant faults.

Thank you Blake, may the winds shift a little more in you favor.

06-02-2009 03:49:19 | More by PEBKAC
BigJTrucker

Oregon

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

This 2L Growler was filled with 2005 La Folie @ Bier Stein, Eugene, OR aproximately 12 hours ago.

Upon popping open my flip top growler i am immediately struck by a strong sour aroma, reminiscent of the last gueze i remember having. Man, i've been enjoying sour beers lately so this is already off to a good start.

It pours into my NBB Abbey glass a deep copper color, with a very thin head that settles fairly quickly. ***EDIT: a second, more vigorous pour produced a 3/4" head that last about 30 seconds***

Smell is clearly sour, with some fruity sweetness tucked in back that reminds me of apple cider, maybe even with some cranberries.

Taste is "mouthpuckeringly" sour to start, hints of bitter apple, cranberries, the expected oak flavors seem to be a bit more muted in this 2 year old edition than i would've expected.

Mouthfeel is a complex jumble of smooth,sweet,fizzy, dry,sticky Very interesting but in a good way.

If you are a fan of sour beers, this one hits the spot. fairly low abv make this a somewhat sessionable beer. I will certainly have another glass of this tonight. I Would really like to get my hand on some bottles and put a few more years on it to see it further develop.

12-14-2007 11:50:40 | More by BigJTrucker
Kinsman

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Fills the glass with a dark and rich mahogany ride. A bit of a tan colored head forms but dissipates rather quickly. Intense sweet and sour aromas hit you right up front. Nutty and caramel malty notes pair well with the cherry and vinegar-like sour aromas.

Well balanced on the palate with a nice layer or rich and sweet malty flavors pairing up with the slightly woody and perfectly tart flavors that make this truly 'Flanders-style'. Notes of toffee and caramel give way to cherry and cidery sour notes.

Mouthfeel is bubbly and medium bodied but nothing too exceptional. Overall, an absolutely excellent representation of the Fladers-red/bruin styles. Not overly sour or vinegary but just tart enough to get your tastebuds excited.

04-19-2014 01:32:13 | More by Kinsman
BastardKing24

Oregon

4.49/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a murky brown with a little head that falls fast

Smell is very tart, raspberries, funky cheese, sour cherry, some oak, and a decent maltiness.

Taste is the same with a huge hit of lactic sour right away, with vinegar, cherrys, raspberries, sour apricot, oak, and a subtle maltiness to back it up.

Feel is just right, medium carb.

Overall I love this sour and buy it whenever I can afford to spend 14$ on a bottle.

04-13-2014 03:48:55 | More by BastardKing24
StoutHunter

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of New Belgium's La Folie from their Lips of Faith series, for $15.99 a few days ago at Cork N Ale. I've never tried this beer before, but I was looking for some sour beers and I thought I would take a chance on this one since I heard some good things about it, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a Belgian tulip.

A- The label looks nice, I like the flower pattern in the background and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a red tinted brown color that took on more of a darker ruby red hue when held to the light two fingers worth of darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some sour fruity aspects being the first to show up. the sourness seems to be on the higher side of medium and the fruity aspect was a nice combination of raspberry, berry, and cherry like aromas. Up next I get a light amount of some malty and toasted malt aromas, but they don't stick around long and it's followed by a lighter woody aroma. This beer had a very nice aroma, as it got warmer the berry aromas really came through and it made for a great smelling beer.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma, but more intense and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the sour fruity aromas still being the first to show up. but this time the sourness is very high and the fruity flavors still retain those nice berry, raspberry, and cherry like aspects. Up next comes an even lighter amount of malts than I got in the aroma and only a slight bit of malts coming through. On the finish there's some lingering sourness followed by a fruity and berry like aftertaste. This is a very nice tasting sour, but I wish the malts came through just a little more.

M- A little smooth, a little refreshing, mouth puckering, not too acidic, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a very nice mouthfeel, but I think it would be just a little better if it wasn't so mouth puckering.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and I thought that it was a pretty good example of a Sour Ale, it had lots of sourness to it, but somehow it kept from being too acidic, but I think it would be a little better if there was a little more complexity to it. This beer doesn't have the best drinkability, it was a little smooth, not too acidic, a little refreshing, too mouth puckering, but the flavor did a nice job at holding my attention, I think the high amount of sourness would prevent me from drinking more than half the bottle, I think half is the perfect amount for me and I think this would be a nice spring time and summer time beer. What I like the most about this beer was the fruity aspect, it made for a nice flavor and it was for sure the highlight of the aroma. What I liked the least about this beer was the high level of sourness, it was just a little bit past my breaking point and I think it would make this beer just a little better if the sourness was toned down a little, i also think it could be a little more complex. I would buy this beer again, but because of the price I think I would only get one or two and I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys sour beers especially the really sour ones. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer, if it had a little more complexity to it it might be a very impressive beer, but as it stands I enjoyed it even though the sourness was just a little too much to for me, I still found myself quickly coming back for another sip to get more of those great berry flavors. This isn't my favorite sour, but it is up there as one of the better beers from the LIps of Faith series that I have had. Good job guys, this was a really nice beer, keep up the good and creative work.

04-12-2014 21:43:34 | More by StoutHunter
zeledonia

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2013 vintage. 7.0% ABV. Tasted 10 April 2014.

Pours a deep murky brown color, opaque except at the edges. One finger of yellowish tan head, much better retention and lacing than most sours.

Smell is a tart fruity sour with cherries and plums. Quite pleasant, if a bit on the dainty side. Some nice balancing sweet notes.

Taste is excellent. A clean woody sour, with hints of fruit (again, stones like plums and other dark deliciousness). But it alternates fruity and straight-up sour, which I like. Good variety, decent depth.

Feel is quite good as well. Heavier than many, but with prickly carbonation that livens things up.

A beer that adds up to more than the sum of its parts. Just really good across the board. Not many widely available sours are anywhere near this good.

04-11-2014 03:57:54 | More by zeledonia
cjgiant

District of Columbia

4.36/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I really enjoyed this beer at this point. I am sure I had it before and was unimpressed, but I think that was before I started appreciating sours. I do think this is more towards other sour styles in that it is very tart (and most other Flanders ales I've had are a milder form of sour).

Pours a brown-laden amber, translucent at best, without a lot of head (definitely doesn't last). Smell to me is almost straight sour cherry or sour apple candy.

The nose doesn't betray the tongue, but there is a deeper taste of some dark fruit lying well beneath the tartness. The flavor does sort of just wind down without much transition. To me it leaves a barely perceptible metallic taste, almost not worth mentioning.

A decent sour that may be more widely available than most, so good to know a decent sour exists that I might be able to grab one for my cellar.

04-10-2014 00:25:17 | More by cjgiant
Stevedore

Wisconsin

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

Split a 22oz bomber of the 2013 bottling with Matt. Thanks for bringing this one over buddy. Poured into a Lawson's snifter today, 4/2/2014. First time I'm able to review this brew, but not the first time I've had it.

App- Dark but clear brown body, one finger effervescent tan head, ok retention, no lacing.

Smell- Tart cherries, sweet brown malt, vinegar, a bit of musty oak. Smells very appetizing.

Flavour- Sweet brown malt, 6/10 acidity that isn't bracing or a heartburner, thank God. Sour and a bit sweet. Musty oak, very faint dry earthiness on the finish. Good, seems to be missing some depth on the back-end of the palate as it starts out sweet and sour and suddenly just falls off into a dry finish.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied, not watery nor syrupy at all. Very good carbonation, almost like a nice aperol spritzer. Backend is a dry, tannic, oaky earthy flavour.

Overall- Very good sour brown. I would have liked it to be a bit more complex and full throughout the palate, but for what it is, it's an excellent wild with a nice mix of sweet and sour. It would be great if they sold these in 4-packs like New Glarus did with Wild Sour Ale.

04-03-2014 16:18:58 | More by Stevedore
Celtics17

4.39/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2014
VISUAL: deep dark red bronze. Low lacing, or head.
AROMA: Big Green apple, jammy, caramel sweetness, cherry pit, citrus zest
FLAVOR: Sharp sourness, clean and sour and malty- like biting into a fresh picked Granny Smith Apple.
MOUTHFEEL: Big Mouth feel with puckering and thirst quenching.

Overall a great one. I like Le Terrior more. But overall great

03-30-2014 07:13:34 | More by Celtics17
joeseppy

4.74/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2013
Pours a brown with red highlights with a taupe head and some spidering on the sides.

Aroma is a wonderful mix of tart/sour. Big red Cabernet quality with cherry and plum. Balsamic vinegar and maybe some black licorice. Sour patch sweetness.

Taste is very deep with a cherry mash and cider vinegar. Sugar coated sour candy.

Mouthfeel is spritzy and finishes creamy.

For me, this is the finest sour I've had to date! Heard many great things about this and it has met my expectations. This sour is deep and rich. I love Rodenbach and Duchesse but they lean towards being to much on the sweet side for me. La Folie, however, is not too sour and not too candy sweet but rather right on the money and I will pay for perfection. Class Act!

02-23-2014 22:09:43 | More by joeseppy
Jonada

4.43/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber. 2013 vintage. Served in a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a darker red brown color with 1 finger of a light tan head that dissipates to a thin collar. Body is dark but relatively clear when held up to light, with some light visible carbonation.

Smell: Strong acidic sourness with sour cherries, vinegar, oak, red grape, lactic acid.

Taste: Taste mostly follows the aroma with notes of balsamic vinegar, red wine, and sour cherry with some notes of brown bread in the finish and aftertaste. Sourness is high.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, slightly creamy mouthfeel. Medium lively carbonation helps move the flavors along. Minimal alcohol presence.

Overall: One of the best American examples of a flander red/oud bruin. Really complex and flavorful with a really pleasant high sourness. Definitely worth seeking out.

02-14-2014 02:34:55 | More by Jonada
BierJager89

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Beautiful ruby red, almost mahogany, with a light brown ring of head.

S: Dark fruit and malt in the nose.

T: Tart strawberries and some fruity Belgian yeast esters.

M: Medium bodied, smooth.

O: This is perhaps a less intense take on the style, and more akin to the less oaky Flanders Red Ale style.

02-04-2014 23:14:40 | More by BierJager89
CMUbrew

4.29/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Fizzy off the pour, but very little head sticks around. Dark brown color with some ruby in the light.

S: A little funky with some sour candy smell, dark fruit, and maybe some winey notes.

T: Has a nice sour punch, but certainly not too overpowering by my taste. Caramelly malt, cherry-lemon sour candy, some funky flavors, and maybe just a hint of wood.

M: Medium-light body and has slightly tingling carbonation with this etched glass.

O: A delicious first sour experience and a really good beer.

01-06-2014 01:26:45 | More by CMUbrew
MagicJeff

Georgia

4.01/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2012 vintage poured into my snifter.

Appearance: Dark ruby, reddish amber color. Nice off white head leaves decent lacing throughout. Looks so tasty.

Smell: Green apples; vanilla-y oak.

Taste: Puckering sourness up front yields to sour apples, slight vinegar (reminds me a lot of Rodenbach in this regard), slightest funky hay on the back end.

Mouthfeel: The initial sourness is overwhelming, but I'd say this is a decent representation of the style. Standard carbonation and drinkable; had no issue finishing.

Overall: Standard Flanders, but with Rodenbach and Duchesse at least $5 a bottle cheaper at most places I frequent, I see no need for revisiting this beer too often. $16 for a bottle vs. $11 for Duchesse is a no brainer. That said, pretty good and worth trying if you get a good deal.

01-02-2014 23:34:49 | More by MagicJeff
blindtiger24

Colorado

4.06/5  rDev -4.7%

I've had this on-tap and in bottles before, but this bottle seemed to be lacking the usual carbonation that I'm accustomed to. Also, the pruney sweetness was muted in the after taste. I'll try re-reviewing in a few months as this may have been improperly stored or a bad bottle.

12-10-2013 04:26:40 | More by blindtiger24
JohnnyHopps

Indiana

4.14/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - The beer was a brown colors with dark red hues cascading throughout the beer. There was a slight off-white foam clinging to the sides of the snifter.

Smell - Cherry really comes through in the aroma. In the background, one might detect the oak and a slight sour sense of vinegar.

Taste - Oh, this one is sour. At the front, the sour explodes. Sour grapes, wood, vinegar, and sour cherries begin the assault. If you search, you can find the hidden sweetness toward the back. In the aftertaste, the sour fruits continues to coat the tongue and roof of the mouth. Even with thie low ABV, the sourness creates a faux warming impression.

Mouthfeel - La Folie has serious lingering power. It lounges on the tongue for several minutes after the swallow. Part thickness, part intensity, this feels like a sour.

Overall - I typically am not overly impressed with New Belgium releases, but I am impressed with this one. It is an easily accessible sour, that is nicely balanced.

11-28-2013 02:30:13 | More by JohnnyHopps
cbutova

4.16/5  rDev -2.3%

Almost forgot to review this, from notes during my trip to San Diego.

A- Deep, dark ruby red pour from the tap into a snifter. One finger off-white head forms and has good retention. Cap lowers to a fizzy ring and small cloud atop the beer. Cracked earth webs of lacing plentifully down the glass.

S- Reminds me of Duchesse and Rodenbach in some ways. Dark currants, cherries and tart acetic acid notes. Super clean with hints of plums and spices.

T- Opens up a lot for me here. Huge punch of cherry, lemon and tart apples to compliment the Flanders style balsamic acidity. Seems like fifty-fifty lactic and acetic sourness, somewhat puckering. Oak combines with all of this with a vinous grape feel. Toasted brown sugar and malts, red wine, fruit jam and slight funk.

MF- Just about bone dry overall with a light end body. Foamy, slightly creamy feel and a nice moderately tart finish.

Really good for an American take on the Flanders Brown. Intense tart cherry and apple feel.

11-27-2013 02:47:43 | More by cbutova
Samuel906

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is absolutely terrific, and the best sour I have had in recent memory. Pours a unique reddish brown and right away you can smell the tartness. Lots of lime and lemon, with a hint of sweetness and some yeasty funk. Taste is SOUR SOUR SOUR. Tart acidity and sharp carbonation taste like you are drinking a less sweet lemon lime soda. Being a brown also, there are some earthier flavors in the background. Clean finish, and no weird aftertaste that sours have sometimes. Very very good!

11-15-2013 05:32:28 | More by Samuel906
Beerenauslese

4.24/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2012 Vintage. Body is clear, brown with a hint of garnet. Poured into a Teku glass, it was capped by a substantial beige foamy head that dissipated quickly to a ring. Minimal lacing.

Smells of vinegar, cherry fruit, toffee, leather, chocolate, tobacco, vanilla.

Tastes of tart cherries and vinegar, supported by toffee, leather, and tobacco notes and a little roasted malt, providing a good level of complexity. Finishes dry with noticeable tannins (from the wood I assume).

Body is medium and the carbonation gives it a slight fizziness.

A tasty Oud Bruin with a lot going on. Like a wine, I would drink this with food mainly because I can take only so much of the vinegar sourness and the strong tannins.

11-14-2013 04:33:48 | More by Beerenauslese
DrinkSlurm

Connecticut

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2012 Vintage...ive had for over a year. Its been in my cellar for a while then in my fridge and back and forth...so, who knows here.
Nice hiss when cap is popped...good sign.
Pours a deep brown with reddish hue into my Firestone Walker Teku...white lacing that never seems to go away.
Huuge tart aromas...red wine, caramel, and slight chocolate maybe? cherry notes as well.
Taste is mouth puckering cherry, caramel, red wine, and woody oak. Its so tart, dry, and flem inducing; its amazing. The sweet caramel-like base of the bruin combined with the tart cherry-like character of the "bruin" make this phenomenal.

11-11-2013 00:53:33 | More by DrinkSlurm