Lips Of Faith - La Folie - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - La FolieLips Of Faith - La Folie

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.00% ABV

Flemish Sour Brown Ale fermented in stainless then transferred to barrels for 1-4 years of aging then blended to taste.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - La Folie Alström Bros

3.75/5  rDev -12%

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

2012 Edition

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a New Belgium globe. Bottling date of 12/23/2011 printed on bottle.

Appearance: Pours a clear dark brown with ruby red highlights and a 1 finger light tan head. Head dissipates fairly quickly, leaving a small puddle of foam around the edges and in the middle. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Tart aroma with a hint of sweetness that features vinegar, cherries and a hint of wood.

Taste: A mix of sweet and tart cherries up front followed by vinegar in the middle before ending with a mildly tart finish. Aftertaste is sour yet light. Very well-balanced flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a good amount of carbonation. The sourness is mouth-puckering in a good way..

Drinkability: Excellent drinkability. I'm loving this one and will have no problem polishing off the bomber in short order.

Overall: Very good beer overall. While I haven't had a ton of Flanders Oud Bruin beers so far, this one is the best I've tried. I'd definitely recommend trying this one.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

3.75/5  rDev -12%

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from a 650 ml bottle into a tulip.

A: Dark brown. Pours a slight, brown-white head. Settles very quickly, leaving a nice beer ring.

S: Intoxicating aroma of fermented raspberry and strawberry on French bread.

T: Bitter raspberry, no sweetness.

M: Pungent and biting with a mouth puckering, dry finish.

D: Character of this one dictates a slow savoring experience.

Atmosphere is pretty good. Dark hue, light head, and a slight bit of lacing. Nose is fermented fruity goodness on a light bready base. Flavor is biting and pungent, unsweetened raspberry. Overall, this is a good quaff.

3.2/5  rDev -24.9%

A: Poured from the bomber into a Duvel tulip. Body is clear reddish-brown when backlit, with a 1-finger beige-colored head. No lacing.

S: Tart; sour cherries. That's pretty much it.

T: First impression was kind of off-putting. Actually, I'm being nice - more than once I thought "it tastes like throw up." Admittedly, though, this is a style I'm not experienced with (in fact, I had to read the BA style summary before pouring it), so I'm hoping that with a few sips and a palate adjustment, things will improve. . . . Basically I get tartness and what I believe is a lactic sourness. A touch of sour cherries. Hard to pinpoint much else, as those flavors are strong. Lingering tartness. Seems vinegary (sp?) at times. The bottle says it's a sour ale, and it ain't lyin'. . . . Lingering sourness and tartness all over - even on the lips (is that where they get the name from?). The longer I drink it, however, the more I get used to it and that first impression of "holy shit how am I going to drink this whole bomber by myself?!?!?" goes away. I wouldn't say I'm enjoying this beer, but I've accepted it.

M: Makes the mouth pucker - not your lips, but the roof of the mouth, in an involuntary reaction to the sourness.

O: This is a tough one to review. As I said before, I'm really not familiar with this style, which is quite different from the kind of beers I normally drink. I'm trying to review it with the style in mind, of course, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself that I would ever enjoy drinking such a sour and tart beer. I will not be finishing the bomber.

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

22oz bottle (2012) into a snifter. Pours a clear ruby-brown w/ a minimal head that dissipates quickly to a thin collar, then vanishes entirely. Moderate carbonation.

Aroma is pleasantly tart. That's all I get, just a nice clean lactic tartness.

Taste is puckeringly sour, acidic, w/ a dry oaky finish.

Mouthfeel is clean and crisp. Sour acidity scours the palate clean with each sip.

Overall this isn't your everyday average beer, but somehow it seems a little one-dimensional. Good, but also maybe a little disappointing.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

3.78/5  rDev -11.3%

A Royal Chalice shows off this dark ruby beer with an off-white head. There is no lace, however, the viscosity makes up for it.

A big, sour-to-tart cherry aroma is put off against a malt background that comes out with warmth.

Certainly tart, though not too much, with cherry and raspberry syrupy sweetness, some acidity comes out as this one warms well.

A bit syrupy with a medium body and prickly carbonation.

A good after dinner sipping beer.

Vintage 2012

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

2012

A: Deep amber color with a light, thin, off-white head but no head retention or lace.

S: Funky, fruity, enticing.

T: Delicious, tart, fruity, sour, funky. Like strong juice with a kick.

M: Smooth and delicious but a thin body.

O: Awesome. Fresh and tart. Not too funky and fairly refreshing.

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

thanks to mike for sharing while waiting on a tasting. 2010 vintage.

pours brownish red. smells of funky tart vinegar. flavor is bery similar. not bad at but not great. kind of like a brown ale with vinegar. somewhat a one trick pony...just vinegar. flanders is there with some cherry hints, but not as gods as I remember this one to be. glad to have this to beat the heat but really just made me thirsty.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

22 oz bottle poured into a tumbler pint glass. My first sour ale! I'm so excited...

A: Pours a translucent dark burgundy color with excellent clarity. The head is a two finger light mocha color featuring a moderate texture and poor head retention. Not much lacing, either. Still, the body color is so beautiful, I had to give extra points.

S: This really has a lot going on. Tart fruits (such as pear, apples, and cherries), a nicely done oak note, and so on. Like I said, there's so much going on, it's hard to pick out individual scents; even still, it's a fantastic smell.

T: Hella tart, but it's an excellent sensation that's kept in check beautifully. Initial tart cherries give way to a subtle malt backbone, while the finish and aftertaste is full of accumulating oak tannins (not to mention a great lingering sourness - not overdone or too weak, just right). Very vinous, like I expected, with nuanced, pleasant vinegar notes popping up on the flavor profile every now and then. The balance between sweet and savory is pulled off with gusto, as well.

The only thing preventing me from scoring this higher (read: a 5) is simple: I'm not used to sour ales. Like I said, this is my first one (and I don't friggen' care how expensive they are, this won't be my last), but I reckon this would be a great introduction to the style, and it's balanced fantastically enough so that most drinkers will be able to appreciate some of its subtleties without suffering too much palate overload.

M: Moderately creamy smooth, up until the midtaste, where it becomes prickly, coarse, and dry from the oak tannins and healthy carbonation. Quite mouthwatering at times. It's at a weird middle ground in terms of drinkability: do I sip it slowly to appreciate all of its nuances, or do I chug it at a semi-quick pace because it's so damn good? Guess I'll do both options intermittently, 'cause I'm hardcore...

O: As a student who's pretty much on a budget, trust me when I say I'd still buy this again and again. I probably won't in the near future, because of that fact, but it's good to know such an excellent sour is so easy to find in my area. Plain and simple, this rocks.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%