Lips Of Faith - La Folie - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - La FolieLips Of Faith - La Folie

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.00% ABV

Flemish Sour Brown Ale fermented in stainless then transferred to barrels for 1-4 years of aging then blended to taste.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - La Folie Alström Bros
Slatetank

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have only had this a couple times, I enjoyed this once a few years ago at Phatz' sour tasting and this review is based on a bottle shared by Bmoyer0301, thanks Brad! Poured from the bomber into a tulip.

The color is a toasted color, moderately dark brown with hazed appearance and ruby hues accenting. The cap is thin and tan atop the fluid with lace that adheres in a wavy pattern. The smell is luscious -plenty of fruit, cherry pie and sweet malt which has a brown sugar with a generally high amount of tart yeast aromas. The feel is super sour! the most sour thing that has come across my taste buds probably, puckering and super juicy like sucking on a lemon with some astringency and mouth drying quality as it lingers with subtle sweetness in the background.

This is just tremendously good I don't know how to begin, sour cherry -very tart taste with slight sweetness almost a toasted pie-like flavor. The cherry taste takes over and the sharp acidic lemony gives a slightly fruity mix, like cherry lemonade with so much going on it is sour times three. I love how aggressive it is, yet it still has some gentle sweetness to keep it in check, magnificent in every way, the yeast is doing most of the work making a very complex backdrop for the malt to mingle with. Overall I can't think of many sour beers that deserve the name as much as this, wild doesn't quite cut it. La Folie has that Rodenbach cherry yeast flavor but goes a step further, an exceptional sour brown. This has to be tasted to be believed.

08-06-2011 12:07:02 | More by Slatetank
OddNotion

4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

22oz bottle split with my girlfriend. Poured into my Golden Monkey bulb snifter glass.

Appearance: One and a half finger head on top of a deep ruby red/brown color.

Smell: Nice and fruity. I want to say the main smell is of strawberries and the definite funk of a sour is there. Very pleasant, one of the better sour brown ales I have smelled.

Taste: WOW this one blows me out of the water! Unexpected but a beautiful sourness coupled with that great strawberry taste! I was certainly not expecting this. While it is not the same as the European versions I much prefer this one. Sourness more than tartness and a lot of fruit flavor as previously mentioned.

Mouthfeel: Fits the rest of the beer perfectly. Nicely carbonated and not too thick at all.

Overall: Surpassed my expectations by a long shot. I would love another few bottles of this! A top notch american sour!

08-06-2011 05:27:53 | More by OddNotion
biga7346

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

2008 vintage, poured into a wine glass

A - Shimmering dark chocolate color, carbonated but turbid.

N - A very perfumy and wide ranging nose comes up with sweet caramel apple, milk chocolate, powdered sugar, balanced against oaky vanilla bean, raisin bread, golden raisins, tiramasu, white pepper spice. The damn thing is all over the map, one of the more unique and pleasing smells I have experienced in a beer.

T/M - Well rounded acidity, sour cherries, blackberries, raisins; velvety, lactic finish leaves notes of powdered sugar, semi-sweet bakers chocolate and great breadiness stands up against against puckering tartness; rum bread, fresh baked brown bread, cocoa nibs, balsamic vinegar.

D - Absolutely wonderful, reminds me of a more rounded out Duchese De Bourgogne. This is a beer that develops very, very nicely. We enjoyed a 2010 the night before opening this one and the differences were remarkable.

07-30-2011 03:50:53 | More by biga7346
theboozecruise

Louisiana

I picked this one up at Spec's in Houston... one of my favorite places to stop when I'm over there.

I poured it from a bomber into a St. Bernardus chalice... it's a deep reddish-brown beer, with a small off-white head that dissipates quickly but leaves a nice creamy pool on the surface of the beer.

The aroma is most notably sour, as to be expected for one calling itself a 'sour brown ale' on the bottle. There is a faint hop bitterness on top of the sour and malt base... still the sour dark fruit flavors come through the most. I'm digging it for sure.

Holy crap, it's even more sour on the tongue than on the nose... I guess that's to be expected as the tongue picks up the sour flavors very well, but wow. I was not expecting as strong of a pungent sour flavor that dominates the taste buds. This one just straight up assaults the mouth with sour flavor, killing those subtle notes I could pick up on the nose. The more I drink the more complex it feels but it's still just SOUR. It's good, but damn.

The mouthfeel... well... it's so sour that it's hard to pick up much else. It's not a bad aftertaste though, which is a good thing. The beer feels a little thin for the amount of flavor.

I don't know... I really really like the flavors and the attempt but drinking this one is work. I'm going to say it's a good beer, but I don't know that I need another one anytime soon.

07-29-2011 20:01:21 | More by theboozecruise
FanofHefe

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Bomber poured into a Duvel tulip; there appears to be a very small date on the bottle of the label but it is illegible. Probably not a concern with an aged brew. Pours a deep red body, mostly clear, with a bit of brown tint. Two-finger tan head that leaves just a smattering of lacing.

Tart aroma but not overwhelming. Tart fruit aroma of mostly cherry with a hint of raspberry, and some noticeable oak in the background.

I really like this blend. A little more oak and malt than other Flanders Red's I've had which makes this one a little more approachable. Still, the tart cherry, raspberry and vinegar flavors dominate appropriately.

Not so tart that it takes away from the drinkability. Excellent brew.

07-28-2011 23:49:54 | More by FanofHefe
hwwty4

Missouri

4.43/5  rDev +4%

On Tap at the Flying Saucer KC. Presented in a 12oz globe.

This beer pours a caramelized sugar brown with a 2 inch cap that leaves soapy lacing all the way down the glass. The aroma comes off as pie cherries mixed with oak and vinegar. The flavor is much the same with sour pie cherries leading the way. A little raspberry with woody oak and a nice vinegary bite. Tartness hits you at the base of the jaw with grapefruit. The mouthfeel is light and mildly prickly. Overall, I think this is the best American easily accessible sour.

07-27-2011 23:34:04 | More by hwwty4
musicforairports

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Bomber split with the lady, into a Bell's tulip.

Dark brown, ruby hues in light. 1.5 finger head dissipates quick, but sticks around way more than a lot of sours.

Smells like acetic sourness and a dirty-socks kind of funk. This is not a bad thing.

Taste is deceptively light at first and then a huge blast of vinegar- and nail polish-like sour, only slightly sweet. Faint tastes of cherries, green apple and wood--especially as it warms--but the acetic quality really keeps them from coming out too much. Overall this is a dry beer.

Mouthfeel is creamy and medium, decently carbonated, but not too much.

This is a good sour. Similar to Rodenbach in flavor. Not a beginner sour, but not the most complex one either. But a drinkable one if you like the acetic sort of sourness.

07-27-2011 00:32:17 | More by musicforairports
nanobrew

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

A: Pours a nice dark red with minimal head that disappears quickly

S: This beer is filled with sour cherries. The acid comes through as slight vinegar

T: Fairly tart, balanced with dark fruit (cherries and cranberries). I get a pleasant flavor profile of red wine vinegar.

M: The sourness tingles my tongue and covers my gums. I love this feeling. This is a nice sour, not the best of its style, but way better than a lot out there. I like how it is not overly sweet, but rather tart.

07-26-2011 22:18:48 | More by nanobrew
gregshead

3.58/5  rDev -16%

Tasted on 7/23/11. Reviewed from notes:

A: Pours a dark red w/ a half finger of head that dissipates very quickly.

S: Lots of cherry. For a cherry/sour the aroma was a little bit muted.

T: Sweet flavors fade into tart/sour cherry mixed with a sour apple jolly rancher.

M: A little bit of a slick/oil feel. Some puckering in the back of my cheeks.

O: Much better and more enjoyable than I expected. The flavors blend and make sense together. A good intro sour.

07-25-2011 05:55:47 | More by gregshead
AlCaponeJunior

3.48/5  rDev -18.3%

Deep auburn with clear complexion. Fizzy head of about three fingers drops to about a half finger, then lingers, leaving chunks of lacing that slide down the glass and rejoin the brew.

Smells quite nicely sour, fruity and dry, earthy, with hints of nuts.

Taste is quite dry and very sour, crabapple fruity, with funky, earthy notes. Somewhat like a brown ale but mostly just incredibly sour.

Feel is pretty much medium with lower carbonation than you'd expect from the fizzy head.

Overall it's interesting, but not something I'm anxious to have again. It's a bit overbearing and could use to be a little less dry, especially considering how heavily sour it is. It's not my favorite Flander's red ale.

07-24-2011 19:31:35 | More by AlCaponeJunior
JMad

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

I drank this from a pub glass..

The beer is a brown color with a thin filmy off white head. It smells of sour cherry cola with some vinegar. The taste has a lot of sour vinegar and cherry flavor with just a hint of sweet malt. The beer is super thick and chewy with low carbonation and a very dry sour finish, it really gets you on the sides of your cheeks. This is a great beer, I'm glad I finally tried it, split this with a buddy and I dont think he was quite ready for this.

07-24-2011 01:44:25 | More by JMad
Ryan011235

3.63/5  rDev -14.8%

On tap in a New Belgium glass at the Stumbling Monk on 3/2/11

Dark ruby brown blends in to the bar top. One finger head. Thin retention but very good, solid lace sticks to the glass. The lace becomes speckled by the end.

In the aroma, tart and sour tones permeate earthy, nutty notions. It's definitely soured. Notes of wood as it warms. Swirling drags up damp barrel aromas. Very tart and puckering. That sour intensity gives way to a base brown ale more apparent than in the nose; earthy and dry. Avoiding the sour-registering taste buds invites the base beer; otherwise, it's all sourness. Musty funk and wood as it warms. Mid way through the glass a strong nuttiness manifests. Hints of cocoa. Dark fruits. Crisp, sharp feel. Not too heavy. High carbonation pushes the tartness to the fore. Earthy, musty, sour finish.

Quite enjoyable, though half the glass would have sufficed. I was pleased to come across it.

07-21-2011 01:33:21 | More by Ryan011235
chinchill

South Carolina

2.53/5  rDev -40.6%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Lips of Faith bomber dated 2011. (revised lightly with more enjoyable 2012 bottle)

Dark reddish brown with a rather short-lived tan head.

Aroma: Unattractive funky sour (OK) and vinegar (yuch) aroma with whiffs of over-ripe fruit and vinegar.

T - Markedly salty and sour: in both cases, more so than any beer I can remember. The saltiness here is not to my taste. [I shared this bottle with two others who confirmed the saltiness]. Hard to get beyond these two striking components, but there is more to the flavor including hints of dark fruits, green apples, and wood.

M - medium body with (too) light carbonation.

O - Avoid unless you love sour beers; if, like me, you dislike vinegar, then avoid in any case.
This was a fresh bottle from a reliable store that was kept refrigerated for about 3 weeks prior to consumption -- otherwise, I'd more strongly suspect it had gone bad. I let a dog sample some and he liked it, although it caused a long bout of sneezing.

07-21-2011 01:13:17 | More by chinchill
DavidST

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a tulip glass, 2011 vintage.

This pours a dark brown color, a little dark red around the edges with a two finger deep mocha head, the head quickly dissipates into a thin film. The smell is faint and hard to get a good idea on, a little vinegar, an earthy, woody smell, some sweetness. Feel is medium with high carbonation. The taste is very sour, I love it, there is the obvious sour vinegary taste which pretty powerful, some wood flavor, and sweetness are hidden underneath and a slight bitterness on the end. I always associate New Belgium with Fat Tire and forget that they have some pretty great brews out there and this one is one of them. This is my third Flanders and its very good, it is missing some of the sweetness of the others but that's okay. I would get this a bunch more if it wasn't $15 a bottle (despite the high price this is my 3rd bottle from the 2011 vintage to go along with 3 from the 2010, I guess that says how much I like it).

I think the 2010 vintage is pretty good also and I might come back later and review it next time I crack open a bottle, two 22oz Flanders bombers in one night is too much sour though.

07-16-2011 03:48:26 | More by DavidST
axeman9182

3.93/5  rDev -7.7%

22oz bottle of the 2011 release, allowed to warm a good bit from my chilly refrigerator before being poured into my Duvel tulip.

La Folie pours a deep mahogany, almost bordering on black. Ruby highlights are present, but (a little too) faint. There's a surprisingly solid head, about three fingers of khaki colored foam tops the beer. It all disappears quickly though, without any lacing left aside. The nose has the requisite notes of cherry skin and racy acidity, but it's a little bit too far tipped in favor of the latter to really be good. I'm not finding the more pronounced cherry influence in the flavor that I was hoping for, but there's a certain biscuit/caramel malt sweetness right at the open of each sip that does the job instead of balancing out the acidity of the beer. The mouthfeel is just about all I would ask for considering the style. Beguilingly light body for a beer with a definite malt presence, with carbonation that's clearly in the background, just enough to be there without becoming distracting or fizzy. La Folie really rounded out and came into its own as it finished warming up, but I can't see myself going through the effort of ever getting this beer again with Rodenbach Grand Cru so readily available.

07-14-2011 04:22:56 | More by axeman9182
ehammond1

3.6/5  rDev -15.5%

Bottle (2011)

K&B Wine Cellars
San Diego, CA

Mahogany red with just a bit of carbonation. Very little head. Looks thin.

Subdued aroma and actually quite disappointing. The flavor opened up tremendously well after warming but the aroma never did. There's a bit of tartness, tang, and sweetness, but nothing like I find in my favorite sours. Everything here simply seems far away.

What the aroma lacked, the flavor has certainly made up for. I think this beer is actually at its best at room temperature. Tart and vinegary along with sweet cherry juice. A tremendous Flanders red, though not quite as good as Rodenbach Grand Cru or Red Poppy, in my opinion--a bit too much vinegar.

Biting yet smooth mouthfeel. A wonderful combination and a pleasure to drink.

A great bottle to share, as I can never drink much of this. That being said, I thought it was delicious once it warmed up to room temperature.

07-12-2011 23:00:05 | More by ehammond1
Kkottonmouthkngz

Been sitting on this one for a while, couldnt really wait any longer to drink it.
Pours ruby brown with tons of superfine bubbles making up the head. The color really is beautiful and could lure in the most hesitant of drinkers.
TONS of vinegar and green apple on the nose. If it were much more so, i may have had to score lower for abusive vinegar, but thankfully we're safe.
This is turning into an across the board deliciously balanced beer when all things are taken into consideration. The flavors of apple, vinegar, and wood combine nicely and leave me wanting more after each sip. The sour aspect really does the flavors justice and brings everything together. Good carbonation tickles the back of your throat to emphasize the liveliness of this beer.
Overall, grew on me big time the more i drank it. I detected some serious imbalance in the beginning, but it really came together.

07-12-2011 21:55:41 | More by Kkottonmouthkngz
KajII

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

[Best served in a Tulip glass]

Poured a clear dark brown with an average sized light brown fizzy head that was gone before I took the first sip and had virtually no lacing to speak of. The aroma was kind of sweet with roasted cookie malts and a sweet yeast with notes of brown sugar, some dark dried fruit and a hint of sour apples. It tasted very lightly sweet and malty with a nice dried fruit note at first then WOW did it get sour real quick with a strong does of sour apple at the end. Mouthfeel was light to medium in body and very dry in texture with a very lively carbonation. Overall as sour beers go this one is right up there. Very sour and very tasty. If you like sour beers this one is definitely worth a try...

07-12-2011 15:29:11 | More by KajII
DabblinWiscCraft

Wisconsin

3.28/5  rDev -23%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Passed off to me in a goblet looking quite appetizing, a coffee bean black and dark brown sugar colored at the edges where the light strikes. Had a 1/4 inch head that fell but clung well to the sides. The nose consisted of strong vinegars--balsamic, apple cider, red wine--with toasty malt and coffee notes. Some more subtle pickling spices in there, as well. Very engaging. I wanted to like the taste of this beer, but the vinegar flavor really overwhelmed everything else. There were notes of apple cider, spices, and dark malts, but these couldn't compete with the vinegar. At one point, this almost tasted like a Bloody Mary with lots of horseradish. Overall, not very palatable. The feel was better than the taste: medium-bodied with lots of acidity and crispness.

I'll admit that I'm not very well-traveled within the Flanders style of red ale, but this tastes like it was a good sour, vinegary ale that was left out for too long. So much vinegar that everything else going on in the glass is totally muted. I will definitely try this one again from a different venue or from the bottle to see if my feelings change.

07-10-2011 19:59:53 | More by DabblinWiscCraft
SWMeyer4141

3.13/5  rDev -26.5%

Had on tap at the Flying Saucer

Appearance-Dark ruby red with a one finger beige head. Little lacing and little retention.

Smells-Enormous vinegar notes, just fills up the nostrils. Some cherries as well.

Taste-Way to much vinegar, I don't fully understand this beer maybe? Upfront it's just strong vinegar on the tongue. Some light fruits. The finish was like a tart granny smith apple which I like. It just slaps you across the face with vinegar, a little too much for me.

Mouthfeel-Extremely dry finish from the tartness. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall-Maybe I just don't get this beer. I've been wanting to try it ever since I had Le Terroier which was amazing. I'm glad I didn't pay 16 bucks for a bomber and was able to get a 5.00 pint on tap. Don't let this review turn you off, this may be the beer for you.

07-10-2011 06:01:30 | More by SWMeyer4141
Wadsey

Indiana

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

La Folie, vintage 2010

Served in New Belgium globe glass

A: Pours clear deep amber-brown with lively effervescence. Minimal head, but sheets of thin foam are formed and disappear with sips.

S: Expected vinegar pushes out of glass. I'm struck, however, by how fruity this beer smells. Nice tart, ripe cherries and black currants. Some tart apples and vinuous character. Additional aromas: damp wood/barrel and pickled notes.

T: Medium-high acetic acid strikes palate and leaves impression of malt or red wine vinegar. There is also apple vinegar or cider note in taste. As the vinegar wears away, the fruitiness becomes more evident, as does the wood. Almost no bitterness. Finish is pleasant blend of wood, cherry or black currants and low-grade acetic acid.

M: Medium-light body with medium carbonation. Bright carbonation delivers sharp vinegar notes very nicely. Astringent/drying.

O: La Folie packs a lot of complex and satisfying notes into a relatively small beer. It works out the palate so completely that drinkability suffers. I should have known better than to take on a bomber by myself, but I bought it for $7.99 so I wanted to treat myself.

07-07-2011 02:25:04 | More by Wadsey
mikereaser

La Folie 2010, poured from a 22 oz. bottle

A - Pours a dark amber reddish brown with a 1/4 inch of foam that quickly faded, no lacing to speak of
S - Nice tartness and vinegar, then the cherries stick their head up and make you take notice, i'm also picking up some grapes. Its just a really nice smelling beer.
T - It starts out with a nice tart cherry flavor, then you hit the vinegar, then you start to pick up some of the grapes all finishing with the vinegar coming back in the finish.
M - its light to medium bodied with some crisp carbonation
D - I am really liking this beer, its not as vinegary as the cork and caged bottle, but its quite drinkable and very enjoyable.
4/4.5/4.5/4/4

07-05-2011 01:41:10 | More by mikereaser
SamN

Colorado

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

2010 vintage bomber, into a tulip glass.

La Folie pours a very dark, nearly opaque molasses/amber color. Head is limited, dirty brownish color with amber hues. Dissipates into thin bubbly patches. Lively, head crackles with a soapy sticky look. I don't remember this beer being so dark. Almost a mahogany color. Lacing is left in briefly-lasting sheets of sticky brown bubbles.

Smell is initially quite tart, acidic and vinegary. Subtle smells of chokecherries, currants, foliage, earthy-brown tones from the malts; almost a sickly sweet molasses note. The smell is quite complex, with lots of fruit notes, earthen maltyness and a powerfully tart/vinous aroma holding it all together. This newer recipe seems less tart and vinegary than previous years brews; I like the smell, it just seems a bit less intense than previous vintages.

To taste a La Folie, without any introduction to the style, one might think this beer has gone bad. The palette is greeted with a powerfully tart burst of sour berries and puckeringly-dry vinegar tastes. These initial tastes give way to more complex, under-ripe fruit characteristics- immature green grapes, Granny Smith apple skins, maybe even a subtle grappa quality? Quite a range of intensely tart fruit quality. Underlying malt qualities mellow out the stronger flavors, an almost bread-like flavor underpins the wildly different flavors. The finish is less dry than one might expect, leaving a pleasantly tart/sour finish that doesn't overwhelm the palette. The acidity might be a bit much for those new to the style. A strongly flavored beer, to be sure! Leaves a lasting tartness behind for a while.

Mouthfeel is well structured; Not a big beer, lighter body, but firm and holds the strong flavors very well. Perfectly carbonated, mild and subtle, perfectly complimenting the flavor of this beer. Minimal sticky sweetness left behind.

Overall, this is a outstanding beer. Compliments food well, especially poultry and fruit dishes. I like this beer as a digestif at Thanksgiving, or as a final beer for my third helping. Aggressively flavored, overwhelming to some, but with some experience you find this beer to have subtle nuances that are rewarding. Complex, unique and overall, very, very good.

07-04-2011 03:54:52 | More by SamN
dcloeren

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Had on tap at The Big Red Cock in Houston. (Review from notes)

Poured into a New Belgium Globe glass. This beer was a very hazy mahogany with 2 fingers of off white head. It quickly dissipated into a thin film for the remainder of the beer.

This beer smells great! Abundant amounts of green apples, sour cherries and green grapes with some earthy tones mixed in. Very tart

Wow, this beer is tangy! Very distinct taste of granny smith apples with sour cherries, flashes of malt here and there with some earthy funkiness as well. Almost became overly sour towards the end when the beer had warmed up substantially.

Medium bodied and well carbonated. Very tart finish. First couple of sips reminded me of sucking on Warheads as a kid

Overall this was a great beer on tap. Very tart and very refreshing. I particularly enjoyed watching everyones faces at the table as they sampled their first sour beer haha. Very happy that I saw they had this and got to try it. Worth grabbing a bomber for sure

06-28-2011 15:29:52 | More by dcloeren
oline73

Maryland

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a clear reddish brown with a finger of tan head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Sweet malt, mildly fruity, with some vinegar sourness.

Taste: Not too sweet, nice acidic vinegar and lemon flavor. Some fruit (raspberry like) hints with a sour finish. Quite smooth.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a mildly dry finish.

Overall: A really smooth beer given how sour it is. Nice acidic vinegar notes. Fruity flavor is nice and mild and complements the other flavors well. Would definitely have more.

06-26-2011 17:05:43 | More by oline73