Lips Of Faith - La Folie - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - La FolieLips Of Faith - La Folie

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.00% ABV

Flemish Sour Brown Ale fermented in stainless then transferred to barrels for 1-4 years of aging then blended to taste.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - La Folie Alström Bros

makdeco, Mar 25, 2012

EricCioe, Mar 25, 2012
4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

2012

A - Pours a very dark brown, almost black with shades of red when you hold to light. Two finger head.

S - Tart funky cherries.

T - Initial sour blast of tart cherries followed by a wave of earthy oak.

M - Light with good carbonation. Bubbly and tart.

O - A good sour but I was expecting a bit more complexity. Fairly straight forward but very refreshing. Brett is fairly subdued.

pigc, Mar 25, 2012

mattop, Mar 18, 2012

DeerNick, Mar 17, 2012

freduardo, Mar 17, 2012
4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Ruby red in hue, beautiful clear color with a small off-white or light tan head that dissapates down to a patchy, bubbly sheet. The bubbles pop rapidly and the sheet dwindles to almost nothing. The smell is intense and smells sour, with the tartness of a berliner-weiss in its lemon and orange mixture in the aroma. But its backed by an incredible smoky malt that is faintly remeniscent of a raucshbier and the two aromas seem to enhance the other. There is an underlying sweetness from the malts as well that hints at fruity caramel and molasses. Definitely a bit leathery. Complex nose, very interesting and I can't wait to try it.

Wow that is in your face with the sourness. I have yet to try a beer that was this mouth-puckeringly sour, like biting into a malty lemon. The sourness overpowers many of the other flavor profiles of this beer, hitting with that huge profile of sourness and tartness that dries out the mouthfeel and finish, but that is what the true character of this beer is. Coming from such a complex nose to being hit in the palate with a huge sourness was surprising and a bit overbearing at first. The more I drink of it however, the more I acclimate to it and see the other facets of this beer. For instance, it actually starts off lemony sweet in the front of the palate, with a hint of caramel for good measure. It then moves into an understated caramel malt taste in the middle, underneath the obvious sourness. Moving along towards the back and through the mouthpuckering taste, there is a subtle bitterness, citrusy in character that is sometimes overlooked, but at other times is very noticeable throughout the taste. It finishes with a puckering dryness and a bit of a syrupy collection in the back of the mouth. Very interesting little beer here.

I think I was a bit unprepared for just how sour this beer was going to be, this being one of my first true sours. I've had a few summery kind of sours before and enjoyed them greatly, but this one is a whole other world of beer for me. And I liked it to a certain extent. It was a touch overbearing at times throughout the taste, but once I settled into it, especially the second half of the bottle, I didn't think it was so overbearing anymore. Its certainly a new style and worth the try if you have an adventurous palate, but maybe try sharing it with someone as it will strike up a good conversation about just how interesting beer can be. Definitely glad I picked this up.

chodinheaven, Mar 17, 2012
4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

So for my first review I thought that I would choose this... only two reviews in one. I tried this, then I consumed a miracle fruit and tried it again... Miracle fruit turns sour to sweet... onward.

22oz bottle poured into a tulip.
Poured a brownish red with a light tan head that dissipated quickly.
I can smell the sourness upfront. Smells like an oaky red wine.
First sip is sour and overpowering, the zing feels like the first sour patch kids out of the box. The oak comes through on the next few sips.

Time to change it up, so I consume a miracle fruit (which turns sour to sweet).
The first sip is such a big change, the miracle fruit has really altered my palate. The sourness is almost gone, but still hints of it remain. It appears almost as a white wine. The beer is very palatable now and I can drink it quickly. The sweetness of a gewurstraminer really shines here. I taste cherries and the oak still comes through.

It is such a great beer alone, but with the miracle fruit it is such a great experience.

Muthacack, Mar 16, 2012
4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

Capped bottle, purchased summer of 2011 and cellared since.

Brown body, small white head fades fast and doesn't leave much lacing. Seems about right for the style. Opaque, maroon highlights.

Sourness present in the aroma, light vinegar.

Intense sour and tartness, best in small sips. Amazing for a sour beer, one of my top two.

Seems dry overall but hard to tell with the degree of sourness. Body seems about perfect.

Easily one of my favorite beers, wish I had the vocabulary to try it better. Tap/bottle (capped) seem nearly identical in my experience

zachary80, Mar 16, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Kirby, Mar 15, 2012

strongaf, Mar 15, 2012

laymansbeerfan, Mar 13, 2012
3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

A – Poured in a chalice the color is a burnt red with a nice off white head that dissipates almost immediately. No ring of bubbles was present but there was some lacing on the sides of the glass. You could see a steady stream of carbonation bubbles through the beer for the entire drink.

S – Some oak was present along with some acidic funk. Green apple, grape and maybe some cherry present.

T – Nice acidic sourness to the beer. I got lots of sour grape and maybe even a little cherry in there too.

M – Nice and tart makes you pucker a little bit. Medium bodied with really good carbonation that added to that bite on the tongue. Super dry which is really nice.

O – I tried a homebrew clone of this that won’t be ready for a year so I was super excited to try the 2012 batch. Now I really can’t wait for my clone to be ready!

cps98, Mar 13, 2012

steamboatbrewer, Mar 13, 2012

DSlim71, Mar 12, 2012

danharrington99, Mar 12, 2012

bsuedekum, Mar 12, 2012
3.35/5  rDev -21.5%

Pours a clear copper with a tan head that attenuates to a thin cap. Has a raisin and mild olive aroma. A sour taste that lies somewhere between green apple and a little less than fully ripe grape. To be fair, this is not my style. I intend to develop my palate a little more to better discern good from bad wild ales.

DocJitsu, Mar 11, 2012