Lips Of Faith - La Folie - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2002

Flemish Sour Brown Ale fermented in stainless then transferred to barrels for 1-4 years of aging then blended to taste.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - La Folie Alström Bros
3.67/5  rDev -13.8%

A - Head recedes quickly and carbonation was lacking at the end. Amber/coppery in color

S - Fruity, spicy with a little funk with a deep inhale

T - A lot on the front end with not a whole lot to back it up. That said, what a front end! Very sour.

M - Really opens up with a mouth swirl, hitting all the right spots. Carbonation creates a great feeling on the middle of the tongue and the cheeks.

D - Could drink an entire bomber to myself (and have several times). Mouthfeel actually gets better toward the end.

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bottle from Nov 2007, #12321, received in a trade with cjsell. Thank you, Cameron. I've had this beer a few times out of bottles and on tap, but I figure it's time I give it a review.

What a beautiful beer! Deep crimson in color with a dense light brown head with decent retention, there isn't much lace. However, the color and clarity make for one beautiful beer.

The nose is woody with some rotting wood, with equal parts damp wood and bright vanilla with some tannins. Behind all this is a moderate vinegar character, not as big as I remember the tap version (or the 06 bottle) being. Moderate berry character is present, there's cherries and strawberries. The woodiness of this beer is surprising, this is rather like a Boon/Girardin lambic in this character.

The palate opens quite sour with a big acetic character with an equally prominent vanilla character. The sweetness is quite low, but the flavor is just so prominent, especially with the moderate tannins, it reminds me of a wafer cream biscuit (the strangest thing, I know, but it brought to mind Pickwick wafers). In any case, though, this is a big blend of vinegar and vanilla with some brown sugar, simple in the number of flavors, but well done. Sour cherries are very prominent, this reminds me of the Drie Fonteinen Oude Kriek in how juicy and fruity it is. Drying on the finish with an acetic character, this beer is light in body with high carbonation. Tannin character is moderate, though this still does have a wild, woody, moderately mushroom character to it. The rather high acidity will make this a little difficult to drink solo, but I think I'm man enough for the job.

4.07/5  rDev -4.5%

22 oz. Lips of Faith bottle poured into a wine glass.

A-Copper-brown beer, sufficiently dark while still allowing a good amount of light through. Light-tan head dissipated quickly, remaining as a big collar and a few bubbles.

S-Sour, puckeringly sour. Smells like sour, turned fruit, tart, with a hint of earthiness.

T-Puckering tart is almost like a sour candy, with a lingering aftertaste to match. Something relatively funky lurks under the sourness. Fruity earthiness, maybe a bit of that woodiness.

M-Ligher body, carbonation was medium level, though I expected a higher level. Puckering tart produces both the taste and the physical manifestation.

D-Very drinkable. This is a good representation of this style, which I have come to enjoy, especially on warmer days. Fitthing, then, that I enjoyed this bottle on one of the first days of our warming Minnesota spring.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

22 oz bottle just a few days shy of a year old poured into my trusty duvel tulip.

A- hazy chestnut brown in color and a deep red orange glow around the edges when lit from behind. Two fingers of tan blowly head rises from a hard pour then settles to a coffee and cream colored skin. Spots of lace that fade quickly. After a bit just a ring around the glass.

S- crisp and tart with cherries and wood. Slight apple cider vinegar touch.

T-mmm. So nice. Sour and tart that's for sure. I get a lot of cherry and rasberry, very juicy fruitiness. Lots of oak and it works so well. A tannin like quality shows as it warms and its plays wonderfully with the rest.

M- nicely carbed, just enough for the brew to pop. Coats the tongue just a bit and then I salivate and it washes the brew away.

D- I absolutely love this stuff not to sour that you can't have a few and plenty sour to feed my jones for lacto. I would love to session this on the regs. Damn we need us some faith round here.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

On tap at Bailey's in Portland. Pours a nice light burgundy brown with cream head that lasts. Wonderful sour cherry, vanilla, raisin, and caramel aroma. Sharp cherry tartness up front, then a touch of sweetness, then an incredibly sour grapefruit finish. Medium bodied with silky smooth mouthfeel. Simply one of the best beers I've every tasted.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a bottle into a flute

A - Ruby red glow around a brown-red core, slight off white head

S - Vinegary, tart fruit smell. Smells like it will be a sour one.

T - Wow this one is really making my lips pucker. Delicious! Tart cherries, a hint of raspberries and maybe sour apple. Not too vinegary or sweet.

M - light to medium body with a fair amount of carbonation

D - This isn't easy to drink but in a good way. This beer is really sour and won't let you forget about it as you drink it. I am really impressed with this and it really hit the spot as I was longing for a sour brew. If I see this on the shelf anywhere I will pick another bottle up right away.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

The best thing about La Folie - the lack of hype around it.

This is one of the better sours I have had and one of the best of the flanders red style, too. Here is a beer with year round availability, awesome consistency and an overall killer taste, but since you dont have to beg borrow and steal for it, it goes under the radar.

Worst thing: the price. I guess I am the jerk here but for about $15 a bomber (tax=crv), its a little costly. I understand that barrels=$$$ but I would love for new belgium to knock the price on this one down a touch. All in all though, great sour and considering some of the flanders style's I have paid $20 and up for, I, 9 out of 10 times, finish the bottle and say "yea but I would just rather la folie and $5 in my pocket"

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a Belgian goblet. Immediately greeted by a funky sour that comes wafting up from the glass. Color is dark red, almost brown, what you would expect from a Flanders Red. Pretty minimal head that dissipates rather quickly and leaves almost no lacing. Smell is tart, vinegar, sour cherries and apples. Taste definitely delivers on the aromas. Very tart with plenty of mouth puckering goodness, very enjoyable if sour beer is your kind of thing. All the lively/tart/sour characteristics in this beer contribute to a pretty dry finish, leaving some residual sourness long after each sip. Overall, I find this beer to be pretty drinkable. Flanders Red is one of my favorite styles, however, so if your not a fan you might want to steer clear of this one.

3.85/5  rDev -9.6%

22oz bomber poured into a tulip.

Pours a nice ruddy brown/red with a nice whisky look. There was a little head that fades slowly. Nose is tart and funky very cool.

Taste is very funky as well. It's really cool and easy to drink as a starter sour. I'd have it again but you don't want more than a small glass.

4.92/5  rDev +15.5%

New Belgium La Folie Sour Brown bomber into a Konigsbacher Pils glass

A mild pour generates a beautiful ruby red body of perfect transparency with amber highlights and a half inch eggshell colored head that thins to a ring, even though the carbonation is actively rushing the surface. No lacing or or stick anywhere. Brown, no. Blood red, oh yes, and lovely to look at.

Aroma is sweet and sour, tart, overripe black cherry and sour cherry, sweet malts and dry oak. A bit of funk and barnyard.

Taste is of a slightly softened Rodenbach Grand Cru. Why was this always in the Top 100 before? Well, that's because it's tasty and complex. Sour cherries, tart cranberry, acidic, an intense and somehow not overpowering dryness from the oak. You get a touch of that funky taste and a tiny bit of barnyard, enough to meld into the rest of the flavors. The dry tartness keeps for such an incredibly long finish. Some sours seem coarse and raw, this one has immense finesse and grace.

Mouthfeel is light and lively with an abundant carbonation that dances around the mouth.

This is a beauty, so very easy to drink, with an acidity that is cleansing rather than crushing. A beautiful beer that will gladly help me get my Rodenbach fix in the future. Too bad it costs so damn much for a bottle ($14.99).

3.75/5  rDev -12%

On Tap at Trappeze in Athens, GA

Nice looking reddish brown with a thin, persistent head. Served in a Corsendonk tulip.

Aroma is funky. This beer smells and tastes like sour patch kids. It's pretty cool in the nose, but I found the taste to be somewhat one dimensional. Still a very good beer. Medium bodied and well carbonated, I was a bit tired of it by the end of the glass, and I think the sourness would wear me out if I ordered a second.

3.79/5  rDev -11%

22 oz. bottle. Pours a hazy mahogany with a small, quickly diminishing light brown head, no lacing. Aroma is tart, a bit of wood, a little chocolate, and must. Flavor is cherry, wood, vinegar, must, and very acidic. Mouthfeel is light, bitter and acidic. Pretty good beer, nice and tart, complex, and warms well.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Very deep amber color of blood when held up to light. A small ring of off-white head outlines the glass.

S - Intoxicating scent of acidic grapes, plums, apples and cherries. Slight toast aroma as well.

T - Extremely tart flavor reminds me of grape pixie sticks. Fruits similar to those in the nose. Perhaps one of the most sour beers I've ever had. Good, though it has an almost artificial sugary sweetness.

M/D - Very effervescent beer. Perhaps even a little too carbonated. A very intense beer! I would still prefer a Rodenbach

4.23/5  rDev -0.7%

I've been a huge fan of this beer since my friends were nice enough to bring me a bottle when they visited Denver. That was 2 years ago and I've been drinking this anytime I've had the chance since.

This was one of the 22oz bottles. Honestly, there's little to no difference in the enjoyability of these and the cork and cage.

Poured 4 ways into snifters. A reddish liquid with no head lies in wait, it's sour power ready to pounce.

Smell is lemon, leather, lacto, some vinegar - basically sour funk.

Taste follows. A rush of tart lemon/green apple skin that causes you to pucker. Nice depth of flavor though under the sharp sourness. Oak and cherry lead the charge. A great Flanders red for sure.

Nice carb and body. Pleasant, plus, as an added bonus, if you order now you get the sour cutting carbonation that makes each sip seem fresher.

This is a big sour. As such, it's not the most drinkable beer. I've taken on a 750ml by myself a few times and, although the first and second glasses are stellar, the third is a bitch to get down because it feels like razor blades sliding down my throat. But for such an intense beer, this is great. Perhaps my favorite New Belgium offering!

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

2007 vintage. Last of my bottles from '07 DLD.

Poured into my Brooklyn chalice.

Big carbonation pop when the cork was pulled. Decent off white head crowding the top of my glass. Murky reddish brown body.

Nose of sour apples, vinegar tartness and barnyard funk. Not much else is getting past that. Some wood, but muted. Maybe because it's a 3+ year old bottle.

Tart and oakey on the tongue. Like crab apples, but sweeter. Quite acidic and very dry. Complex.

Medium mouthfeel. Tough to get a 750 down, even split 2 ways. Still a great beer, but 10 oz is enough for one sitting.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

effusive sourness spews from the cracked cap. head fizzled quite audibly. now tons of fruit fills the local atmosphere

very nice deeep brownish garnet. but a leetle head would be just great (nothin doin)

strong acidic nose with woodiness, though i don't get as much vanilla or indeed sheer volume as i expected from the oak. the wood may come through in the guise of a vinous character

the first thing that hits is warming acidity, which never even thinks of relenting. some bitterness seems to (attempt, at least, to) manage the acidity, which still forces its way deep through the finish. cherries. there is certainly some sweetness in there, it isn't extremely dry afterall (well...the low carbonation renders this tough to tell).

drinkability is an interesting proposition here: it's damn delicious but i reckon more than a certain quantity might erode my tooth enamel

Clear dark reddish brown with a small off-white head that leaves small lacings.

The smell is acidic with tart berry notes and rather prominent notes of caramel. Notes of funky barrel and vinegar as well as some spices and toffee.

The flavor has an interesting and enjoyable mix of sweet chewy malts and a prominent acidity. Aromas of toffee, gentle muted notes of bread. The acidity takes center stage in the middle with nice tart cherry notes, some lemon and vinegar. Notes of grass. The finish is a bit sharp and vinegary with notes of bitter grass and minerals.

Medium body, smooth oily mouthfeel.

Nice one. Complex and interesting. I like how the malts shine through at first.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Update 2/14: Drinking a 2011 vintage. A bit more vinegar in the flavor than I remember. Still extremely flavorful, but I have dropped my flavor score from a 5 to a 4.5. Original review text below.

Pours an extremely dark red that appears black in low light, with a full finger of creamy head.

Smell is ultra sour and oaky, with a fruitiness that is tough to pinpoint. Some caramel, chocolate, sunflowers, marshmallow, and banana peel are present in the background making this one complex beast. Very nice.

The taste is equally as stunning, perhaps more so even. First sip is a wonderfully tart mix of fruit and oak. Mid palate brings some cola and caramel notes, and a bit of funky attic in the finish. Definitely more sour than funky, although both attributes are well apparent. I often find a bit of crayon waxiness in this style, but it isn't present here. Just a nice clean, complex, sour, funky, tasty treat.

Mouthfeel is medium to light with low carbonation levels. Works well for the flavor profile.

This one was damn impressive, but honestly I was more than satisfied after my first 8 oz. Share with a buddy for maximum enjoyment. Definitely a world class Flanders!

3.58/5  rDev -16%

A - Little to no head, visible carbonation. The beer is a dark, red tinted brown, but is not opaque. There is nothing remarkable to this beer outside the style.

S - It has the sweet, malt vinegar smell that is common with this style. The pungency of the sour smell becomes more mild as the beer breathes. Not much else comes through.

T - Definitely on the high end of tartness. Usually the sweetness in a flanders red comes through strong to help counteract the sourness, but in this case, it is dominated by tart...though I don't mean this in a bad way...it's just very dry. While it isn't balanced well, the tartness is bold, intriguing, and pleasant if you are in to this style. The finish brings out a little sweetness, resembling a sour apple gum or candy. There is also a very light maltyness. The earthiness that usually comes with wood fermented sours is missing from this one.

M - Higher carbonation than most others of this style that I've had, but certainly not overdone. The carbonation lends itself well to the sour flavor (think flat cider vs. bubbly cider). However, with this much carbonation, there is little else to notice to the mouth of this beer.

D - Carbonation in this one leads you to believe it is refreshing and very drinkable. However, the sourness of this one will most likely limit me to just the one bottle. I think this would make a good pairing with a citrusy seafood. I wouldn't recommend it as a refreshing backyard party type beer.

Serving Style: 1 Pint 6 oz bottle, Tulip glass, 55 degrees, 20 minutes of breathing.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

Shared bomber with some friends.

Poured into my pint glass the beer is a blood red with dark brown edges. Light tan head that reaches about one finger. Not much lace left behind.

The aroma is pure sour goodness. Tart fruit and vinnegar are the main components. Hints of wood can be picke dup if you keep your nose in the glass long enough.

The flavor is spectacular. Super sourness curls my tongue and stings my cheeks. Sour cherries just melt on my tastebuds. The uber dry finish makes my teeth feel gritty.

Medium body with light carbonation. Very Dry as noted.

Overall a fantastic sour beer. I wasn't a huge sour guy at first but I've grown to really appreciate the style. Not something you could drink everyday but simply delicious.

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

750mL shared with my wife.
Bottle #4819 July 2008

A: Brown with a slight reddish tint and a small head that leaves no lacing.

S: Sour cherries, wood. There is no mustiness or basement funk. The aroma is a fresh sourness, if that makes sense. A hint of sweetness is hidden behind the sour scents.

T: Sourness right away, with cherries, wood, and a wine-like tannin finish. The flavors are blended together masterfully. The wood aspect is phenomenal, really making this beer special. There is a slight fruity sweetness which adds to the complexity of this delightful brew.

M: Puckering, good carbonation level.

D: After a couple glasses, my throat is beginning to sting a little. That being said, this is very drinkable, if you have an affinity for potent sour ales, as I most certainly do. Highly recommended. A must have for those who enjoy sours.

2.41/5  rDev -43.4%

Served in pint goblet. Poured a very dark brown, almost black, with an inch of tan head that quickly dissipated and left a medium amount of lacing.

The aroma was slightly sweet upfront and had a vinegary sour finish. While certainly sour, this beer was mostly bland, but did have a very dry finish.

The mouthfeel was very thin, but did have a clean, dry finish. Drinkability was good, but with the overall blandness why drink more than one at a time?

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

22oz bomber poured into a La Fin Du Monde glass. Hand corked bottle empty and on my shelf.

A: Nice dark amber brown. Color of chestnuts. Head dissipates into nothing and no lacing on the glass.

S: Kind of funky like bruised apples, tart cranberry and strawberry. Faint woody undertone.

T: Tart and sour, but not overwhelming. Sweetness of under ripened fruits and a twang on the finish.

M: Fizzy and thin, drys the mouth. It is similar to the feeling of sucking on a warhead candy and a piece of wood.

D: I could drink this all day. ABV isn't too high, not too sour or too tart so you want to come back for more.

This beer I like more than the first time I drank it from the corked bottle. Not sure if they are blending it differently or what but it is not near as sour. Defiantly something to keep on hand for special occasions, like a Saturday.

I have really been in the mood for a sour beer lately and this surely hit the mark!
La Folie wood aged beer in French Oak barrels.
Pours a deep ruby red/brown with a slight tan head.
Smells of sour apples with the tinge of tartness
The taste is...you guessed it...all sour. Apples, fruit, acidic, and earthy.
Light in the mouth.
Very drinkable...if you are into sours. This one is sour front and center.
A very good beer.

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a tulip.

Appearance: very attractive clear ruby-brown color. Poured with a finger of tan head which quickly dissipated. The word coming to my mind is "sophisticated".

Smell: aroma starts off as simply sour, but then sweet malt and caramel edge in. There are also hits of cherry and a dry, oakey aroma. Quite nice.

Taste: very bright and sour at first, then the other qualities found in the aroma set in: cherry, wood, sweet malt. Finish is bone dry and tanniny, however; it's a pretty good effect all around.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a relatively low carbonation level; there's an astringency and dryness here. The mouthfeel is OK, but nothing special.

Drinkability: quite drinkable in my book. I tend to find sour beers quite refreshing if they have a complementary flavor profile, which this does. The wood aging is pretty nice in this context.

Lips Of Faith - La Folie from New Belgium Brewing