Lips Of Faith - La Folie - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2002

Flemish Sour Brown Ale fermented in stainless then transferred to barrels for 1-4 years of aging then blended to taste.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - La Folie Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +4%

Appearance: Served on tap with a red color and a light ring of a head around the top of the glass. There is a slight orange tint when backlit.

Smell: The aroma is very rich with notes of cinnamon, cherry, candy sugar, dry grape, and a bit of soy sauce. Very complex but well balanced and appealing.

Taste: Tart to begin with causing slight puckering. The beer is malty and from that a nice sweetness develops evenly in the mouth. There's just a slight bit of smoky flavor with some sourness and some fluffy, floral, and fruity notes tasting mostly like apple and cranberry.

Mouthfeel: Puckering but sweet make it a pleasant beer on a warm afternoon.

Drinkability: All around it is a good beer that I would gladly enjoy again. The tartness is pleasant and I am usually not a fan of tart beers. Very well done.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

22oz bottle drank from my duvel tulip glass.

A- this one pours out a deep dark ruby red colored body with a small hissing eggshell colored head. small spots of lacing are left after each sip.

S- the first thing i notice is acidic vinegar. wow. no question this beer is going to be sour. there are also green apples and tart cherries in here. some faint hints of barrel come in late.

T- once again, a sour blast right off the bat. there are also fruit like malts. green apple, cherries, and maybe a bit of raisin. caramel malts.

M- medium bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. leaves the mouth feeling very dry.

D- easy to finish and something id pick up more of if it wasnt so expensive. its one and done because the acid in this one would give me an ulcer if i drank it as if it were sessionable. check this one out.

Made a good appearance, poured a semi-hazy cherry wood color with a small fizzy white head that reduced to nothing. Had a sour, tart aroma, cherry, fruity and whiffs of vinegar. Moderate carbonation and a sour, plucky medium bodied mouth feel, good sipper drinkability. Taste was sour and tart, cherry flavored vinegar and a dry sweet and sour finish.
A good Flanders Red Ale, in keeping with the style, well made, not for everybody, but a great sipper, well worth trying

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

Got this from my recent BIF, thank you. Poured into a Tulip glass at 47 degrees.

Appearance: The head was a dark tan head with a reddish tint. The head is foamy and the retention is poor. The color of the beer is dark mahogany with reddish hues. The clarity of the beer is fairly opaque with garnet highlights.

Nose: A note of sour, fruity with hints of wood. The fruit is blackberry, red currants and plums. There are notes of vanilla, phenols. The malt has a yeasty compound.

Taste: A serious intense sour note with wood, blackberries, vanilla, plums and a light phenols. The malt is light, yeasty, and bready. There is a light tannic flavor that provide some drying of the mouth.

Overall: The mouth feel is carbonated, slightly dry, and tarty as hell. The body of the beer is light and the finish is medium. This beer has one hell of a kick. I have never had a Flanders that so much flavors and compounds yet seem so simple. It is a refreshing to drink and it is not like a heavy ale or lagers. I like the change but only once in a while.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

22 oz bomber I picked up at Hop City in ATL for about $12.99 a bottle. Been wanting to try this for a while and I was stupid excited when I saw it on the shelf and that is why I broke my rule for bomber prices to purchase this brew. Served up in a snifter.

A: Pours a nice dark brown in color. Held to the light, you get some really deep and vibrant red hues coming through at the corners. I really can't see through the brew at all, which is a bit of suprise to me. Can't see any carbonation activity in here. The pour built up a half finger of off white to light tan colored head. It was very bubbly and not very tight at all. This falls to a thin, bubbly ring that lasts pretty much throughout the glass. No stick to the lace. Still, it looks good and appetizing. Could be better but I like the look of it.

S: The smell is absolutely heavy on the vinegar/sour notes. It dominates and doesn't leave much room for much else. Luckily, that is what I was looking for so I am happy camper. Sour fruit coming through as some cherry and some granny smith apple skin. Touch of wood coming in on the backend but not too much. Very nice but I could use some more diversity.

T: All I can say is . . . wow. This starts off with that serious vinegar/sour/tart flavor. The cherry flavor comes out a bit more and really is complimented but the notes of apple skin. As quickly as that sour bite grabs you, it is cooled with a really interesting woodiness and maltiness. There is a touch of nuttiness that works well with the wood and a caramel presence I imagine kicking out of the malt. The flavor just combines to make a beautiful flavor profile and experience.

M: Medium bodied with a medium to slightly lighter carbonation. This beer is tart and dry. Nicely drying to be exact. Sits very light on the palate and leaves that tart bite on the back of your tongue and throat. After taste is all vinegar and sour fruits.

D: Damned good beer. This has gone above and beyond my expectations. The flavor is just beautiful and so well crafted IMO. It just works so well. The beer could grow in other arenas, but I'd say just leave it alone. If the flavor can be that good, who cares about the look or aroma. I could put this down easily and I would spend that price repeatedly to enjoy this beer again. Hells yeah.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Ausome brew from NB, dark unclear look, nice lacing, looks like vinigar waiting for oil

Sour apples, sour overall, puckering, flavor has sour up front, nice malt in the middle, finish is dry and sour, wow is this different, more like an american wild ale ausomely balanced

Solid mouth, silky feel, not an easy deinker but a good one. Seek it out.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle - hand numbered #06-4124

Pours a clear chestnut brown with a small tan head that maintains. No lacing on the glass.

Aroma is quite poignant and very sour. Some dark fruit smells are noticeable.

The taste is intensely sour as it first hits the tongue. Dark fruits are revealed in subdued fashion as the initial shock subsides. Finishes dry and as sour as it started.

Medium body, mild carbonation. Creamy texture.

I love the sour Flanders Reds and this one is a true delight. I polished off the bottle with minimal effort. I wish it were more readily accessible to me.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

A - Pours a nice dark red with coppery hues and a nice yellowish-beige head that fades away quickly.

S - A nice mixture of the vinegary sourness typical in a flander's red and the subtle notes of oak. A nice sour cherry aroma as well.

T - Woo, nice and sour. Exactly what I was looking for. Good flavors of tart cherries and granny smith apples. Some raspberries as well. A nice earthy, oaky flavor in the finish.

M - A nice effervescence with a light body, as one would expect/hope for the style.

D - Very drinkable and delicious. Mouthwateringly tart and puckering, with a nice dry finish.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Deep auburn body was topped with a thin and fleeting head. The smell was very sour and oaky, with notes of vanilla, cherry, and smoke. The taste was sour from the first sip, with cidery, green apple flavor dominating all. In fact had I been subjected to a blind taste, I might have been fooled into thinking I actually was drinking fermented cider. A woody dryness followed the sourness imparting some vanilla finish. The alcohol was a non-factor in the taste. The body was medium thick and nondescript, but the lightness added to the refreshing and quenching appeal. A well made beer, that I can now thankfully get locally.

4.43/5  rDev +4%

Poured In: Snifter Glass

I've been wanting to try this for some time now. The Lips of Faith series just started coming to Minnesota, and it just so happened that I was meeting up with someone from Minnesota shortly thereafter. A few bottles of Darkness and La Folie, now that's a good bundle.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful dark auburn color with a hint of maroon from the reddish malt. There's not too much head produced by my less than careful pour. There's about a finger of tan colored head sitting on top, but the retention isn't very good and it disappears rather quickly. I gave the beer a few swirls in my snifter to see what the lacing is like. Like the head, rather lackluster. A few thin streaks and a few small dots.

Smell: The nose picks up a tartness that lends itself towards red and dark fruits like cherries and plums. There's a little bit of acidity in the nose, as well as some sweetness from the malts. The sweetness is almost like a caramelized flavor that's been blended with green apples. It's quite pleasant.

Taste: Ah yes, onto the fun part! Acetic acid leads us off with a sour profile. Some of the sweet malts are now showing up, but it's quickly becoming a race towards puckering. A blend of tart and bitter green apples, plums and cherries.

Mouthfeel: A medium bodied beer, slightly on the thin side of medium. I would have actually bumped up the carbonation just a tad. I like sipping on my beer for a few hours, but with this one if I don't keep up it's going to be near flat.

Drinkability: The low ABV and pleasant aroma and flavor profile make this a very drinkable beer. If this gets distributed to Wisconsin I'll pick this up for sure.

Pours a very nice deep red to red-brown colour, with a filmy head of taupe foam. No retention to it, but that's pretty much expected for the style. Minimal body with lots of streaming carbonation. Not bad. Looks pretty good.

I could smell it as soon as the bottle opened. Rich cherry acidity, with notes of pear, pinot noir grapes, oak and currants. Very strong, fruity and acidic, with a delicious roundness integrating it all together. Delicious.

Yeah, it's sour, but it's not instantly confronting. The deeper layers of oak and lighted roasted characters complement the sharp cut of acidity. By the time I've noticed quite how sour it is, the acid has tapered off slightly to a brusque but refreshingly dry finish. Still redolent of cherries with some other light fruit sweetness making a late but timid appearance. Mouthfeel is crisp and puckering, with a sparkling effervescence.

This is certainly one of the most acidic beers I've had, not as much as a Cantillon 100% Lambic, but close. That is exactly what they're going for, and I have to respect it. The fact that it has layers of complexity to compensate for the one most dominant is admirable, and I have to say I enjoyed the beer a great deal overall.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

22oz bottle. Received in trade with grgas. Thanks Josh! Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Pours an opaque dark brown with a reddish tint, especially when held to the light. A finger of white head, somewhat soda like, forms and fades quickly leaving behind a thin, uneven layer of bubbles behind. No lacing.

S - Sour aromas dominate. Slightly vinegary and a touch sweet at the same time, and showing a bit of fruit, although unidentifiable to me.

T - Quite a nice sour beer. A touch more bracing than I expected, although not nearly as sour as most wild ales out there, but appropriate level for the style. A good level of sourness for the introduction of new sour drinkers. Sour and fruity, makes me think a bit of sangria...lots of red wine flavor and character here, tannins, grapes, dark fruits (cherry maybe), some vinegar. Very good.

M - Mouthfeel is thin, almost water-like in body. Carbonation is high, giving a dry, but soda-like feel in the mouth. Sourness is nice, but a touch puckering, and leaves a distinct dryness behind, begging you to take another sip...only to be left dry again.

D - Very drinkable flanders red. Very nice overall. Good level of sourness, tastes really good and doesn't overpower. Bracing and refreshing, although drying in the mouth. Very good overall...would like to try this side by side with a corked and caged bottle to compare.

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

A- Dark mahogany with a fizzy light brown head that completely vanishes within a minute. No retention and no lacing. I'm new to this style so I'm not really sure what it's supposed to look like.

S- Pleasant tart smell. Fresh cherries really stand out to me. Always a hint of horse blanket, earthy/ester smell.

T- Woah this is probably the sourest beer I've had, maybe behind a geuze or berliner weisse but never less it's more sour than I anticipated. This is the kind of sour that makes your forehead sweat. I would have liked it to be just a bit more mellow, more oak and cherries would probably shine with a little age on this one, or it would be even more sour. Overall it's a great flavor, but I think a bit more mellow would be perfect.

M- Light and dry like champagne.

D- Great beer in general and overall really drinkable, but I myself couldn't drink more than two glasses of this. It really wears on the palate.

2.75/5  rDev -35.4%

I had high hopes for this one, as it is one of the most highly regarded beers I can find in my area. I'm generally not a huge fan of New Belgian Brewing, but I wanted to try this one.

While I'm sure this beer is a fine representation of the Belgian Sour, I have to say I could barely drink it. In my purely subjective estimation, it was just far too sour for me to enjoy. My lips puckered with every drink. I couldn't even pick out any other flavors.

In a blind taste test, I would have said this was champagne, not beer--and I hate champagne.

Obviously, there must be something to this beer to garner all the great reviews it has from people more knowledgeable than myself. It just wasn't for me.

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

On tap in a chalice.

Pours a quite deep reddish brown color with a quarter inch of tan head that disappears in short order. A skim of bubbles can be revived with repeated swirls, only for a couple of seconds. Minimal drippy lacing.

Smells better than it looks, with a nice sour cherry aroma. The flavor profile is predominantly sour cherry as well, but there's also a nice touch of sweet cherry pie that just barely keeps things from reaching puckering level. As it dries out dramatically toward the finish, roasted and woody flavors begin to emerge. After the swallow, the sour cherry flavor lingers and lingers and lingers...

Overall impression: Not much to look at, but quite enjoyable otherwise.

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a medium brown with red highlights, almost clear at the edges. Small head that dissipates within a minute or two. Interesting looking beer. Sort of a resiny, vinegary appearance. Any visual hint of carbonation is lost 5-10 minutes in, although it is still quite evident in the taste.

Smell is of sour cherries in oak, vanilla, toffee almonds. Not extremely complex, but intense.

Taste is a cascade of flavours. Sweet syrupy sour cherries up front, then a blast of vinegar before it fades into a dry finish, leaving one's face puckered. It gets increasingly sour with every sip, almost to the point of muting all other flavours. Other flavour notes: Lime juice, apple.

Carbonation is medium, but hard to detect due to the extremely sour character. Coats one's tongue in a sour goo. Perhaps a bit more carbonation would help it

Drinkability is very limited, unless your taste buds get annihilated early on. Maybe a little too dry for how sour it is. A nice treat.

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured from a bottle into my white birch glass. The beer pours a light brown-to-mahogany with a murky amber glow around the edges. There is a two finger white foam head that fades into nothing without leaving behind much lacing at all.

The smell is acidic tart cherry, sour apple cider and a slight hint of soft wood and sweet grapes.

The flavor is a blast of puckering sour cherries and almost too-sour apple. There is a brief (and I mean very brief) hint of sweet grapes, fresh cut grass hops that ushers in a nice backing of soft/subtle wood notes before you get another acidic blast of cherries.

The carbonation on this beer is perfect for the sour characteristics, and the finish is nice and dry, inviting me back for more, and almost erasing the intense sour flavors before the next sip. I will easily drink an entire bomber (I just wish it was a 750ml).

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

this beer pours out a dark ruby brown color with a tan off-white head

the smell gives up rasin and oak tartness as well as port like qualities and a light toasty nutty malt flavor followed by hints of fig.

the flavor is devine. there is a verry tart bite on the tongue at first and a cherry wine like sweetness as well as a very acidic property that makes the jaw muscles clench

this beer finishes out with a good tart coating on the tongue and a hidden sweetness that comes out and leaves a green apple skin flavor behind. this is the first sour beer i ever tried years ago and it still stands up as one of the better choices out there. really a great job by new belgium to bring back old belgium into american craft brewing.

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

I got this online through liquid solutions. I poured it into a snifter. It pours a deep, dark brown with a small white head that does not stick around long. The aroma is fruity, with wood notes. On first sip it is lip puckering sour. It gets more mellow as it warms. There are fruit vinegar and wood notes. The brew is very, very dry. A medium bodied beer with average carbonation that I enjoyed over the course of 2 hours.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

22 oz, "Lips of Faith" bottle

A: Pours a dark brown under a small tan head. No lace, no retention.

S: Sour, fruity, hints of chocolate and roasted malt. Pretty complex aroma, especially the fruit character.

T: Sour again, with the fruit, wood, hint of chocolate, bit of roasted character, maybe some nutiness, vinous. Sour and fruit character really remind me of slightly sour grapes.

M/D: Medium to full bodied, carbonation is prickly, finish is sour and somehow slightly dry. Drinkability is really good. The sourness at first seems a little overwhelming, but the dry character and fruit really have you reaching for more. Good beer.

3.75/5  rDev -12%

Thanks to dear Pablo B. for this sample bottle. No doubt at all that it's a sour ale. Poured with a nice light tan head and good lace. Color is a lovely clear mahoganey. Aroma is very clean, tart, refreshing. Flavor is a giant sour Belgian ale, more like a geuze than a Flemish. Good body and great carbonation. Finish is so tart to say anything other than that. Not a session.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

finally got my hands on this beer. Pour is somewhat dissappointing. Orange highlights on a brown body with a very short lived beige head. Swirl does not bring it back, zero retention. Sweet oranges with a hint of tartness in the smell. Taste is redeeming. Strong sourness over a nice, faintly sweet flanders red. Mouthfeel is thin and light, a slight lingering sourness. Very drinkable for sour fans, no discernable alcohol. Despite the lackluster appearance, this is a solid sour beer and worth the price. A repeat purchase to be sure.

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

Reviewed from notes, consumed 11/06 at The Bad Apple.

A- Served in a NB globe. It has a ruby hue with a slight brown color to it.

S- Tart, sour cherries with an almost wine-like quality that's present.

T- Really sour cherries with maybe the slightest hint of malt and wood notes.

M- Creamy yet very well carbonated. It really coats your mouth and sticks with you for a bit.

D- Honestly not bad. It's definitely a sipper, but it was pretty easy-drinking considering this is my first venture into sour territory. I'm looking forward to trying others.

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

A - One finger of light brown head on top of a dark, reddish brown body with some ruby highlights showing through. The head settles quickly and leaves little lace.

S - Sharp sourness with lots of brown, caramel malt sweetness and some acidic, berry like fruit. Raspberries, cherries, blackberries, toasted oak/vanilla, and a bit of musty, brett funk.

T - Puckeringly sour with a very sharp, fruity acidity of stone fruit. Notes of cherry, peach, and apricot backed by thick, malty sweetness that is quickly cut away by the intense lactic acid tang. A little bit of bready funk comes out in the finish before being washed away by sour fruit. Lingering notes of cherry and slight funk in the aftertaste with lots of brown, melanoidin malt flavors.

M - Medium body, moderately high carbonation, and a very dry, chalky finish.

D - I had heard that this beer was very sour, but wow. The intense acidity really seems to bring fruit flavors to life in a way that I have rarely seen. Some on the most intense and convincing berry and stone fruit flavors I have ever encountered. The malt character is quite nice as well and does its best to balance out the unstoppably intense sourness. The only area where the beer shows a weakness of flavor is in wood character; aside from some toast and vanilla in the aroma I don't get much. Drinkability is, as always, a relative thing; with this level of acidity I begin to feel heartburn coming on after one glass and despite this beers superb complexity, I find that some other, less sour, examples of the style are more to my liking. Very good, and well worth seeking out, but I can think of one or two other wood aged sours I would stock my fridge with first.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 22 oz bottle into NB globe.

A: dark burgundy pour with a razor thin brownish white head. Significant lacing.

S: I smell tart cherries, raspberries, a strong woodiness, along with a spicy belgian yeast characteristic. Amazingly sour on the nose.

T: oh my this is sour. I taste loads of sour cherry notes followed by a nice woody taste. This beer causes a puckering reaction, more so than any other sour I have tasted. I must say this is the most complex and bold sour ale I have tasted. I didn't know what to think the first time I tried it, but now that I am a little more well versed in the world of sours, I can really appreciate this beer

M: sharp thin and sticky

D: the drinkability of this beer goes up if you have something salty or savory to eat with it. Otherwise, this beer is very tart going down and is a slow sipper. Very tastey and complex, opens up as it warms, very nice. A tad pricey, but worth it for the special occasion.

Lips Of Faith - La Folie from New Belgium Brewing