Lips Of Faith - La Folie - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2002

Flemish Sour Brown Ale fermented in stainless then transferred to barrels for 1-4 years of aging then blended to taste.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,464 | Reviews: 1,011
4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours dark amber, small 1/4inch head.
Aroma: nutty, sour. raisins.
Taste: intense sour, cherries, hint of orange, almost on the warhead level of sourness. finishes sour and smooth. medium bodied.

Overall the best New Belgium beer ive had to date. Highly recommended!

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%

Yum. Finally getting around to this one, thanks to johnsaulrubio for the dope trade. Pours as an oude brune should, dark brown with red highlights and a very thin almost non-existant tan head. Smells like candy, some nice toffee notes, oak, vanilla, and lactic sourness as well as some fruit aromas like cherry and strawberry. Tasty, nice base beer, malty, caramel and toffee flavor front of the palate, then you get some oak, vanilla, and then bam sour, lactic sourness with some acetic qualities and a faint familiar musty-ness. Lovely tart and tingly mouthfeel, style appropriate. I could drink alot of this, one of my favorite styles and this one did not dissapoint.

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to many a BA for hooking me up with bottles of this.

From C&Cs to Folie 2010 with the gray label, the following represents the most average review. Sometimes it has been way better than this review. At other times it has been nasty and sweet and full of cloying maple-brown sugar flavors.

A - Red-mahogany, with a short-lived head

S - Huge tartness, mostly lactic, a lot of wood and cherry.

T - Sour, puckeringly tart, even sour on the finish. Much akin to pure cranberry, minus the drought-like dryness, in fact a refreshing mouth-watering response is elicited by the pungent tartness. Some tart cherry and some wood, but other than that it is not an insanely complex libation. It is right-on, in terms of delivering on the basic characteristics of a sour, in a big-time way.

M - Mostly lighter-bodied, with light carbonation.

D - Especially awesome for the combination of authenticity of flavor and relatively wide distribution.

4.02/5  rDev -5.6%

Beautiful cherry brown / mahogany with a thin head.

First sniff -- cherry, oak, vanilla, banana, strong alcohol, dark chocolate overtones & honey -- mouthwatering.

First sip -- WOW SOUR and sweet, like a sour candy. Actually... very nearly exactly like a sour cherry sucker. Thin, watery mouthfeel full of carbonation, with tart aftertaste.

Surprisingly sour given the scent! Tons of berry flavor and esters, and just a slight funk (I wanted a little more). Strong, clean alcohol taste. It's 6% ABV -- thought it'd be higher.

The nose made me think and wish it would have a thicker, darker taste and mouthfeel. Instead it's like a sparkling berry wine with a fantastic nose. Quite surprising.

Overall, I enjoyed it. Any beer with this delightful a nose is a good one in my book. However, as zaplt said, I wouldn't throw down thirteen bucks for this beer again anytime soon; that's a lot for me. If I made more money or if it were in the $7-$9 range, I'd probably buy it more than once. Certainly drinkable, and worth it if you love tarty fruits like I do. ;)

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Lips of Faith - La Folie 2010

Appearance - Dark brown amber - very clear tan head with little retention and light lacing, *mahogany.

Aroma - Licorice, sweet dark candy fruit, woody, sour tarty funky deliciousness, sour cherry, much more.

Taste - Surprisingly tart - very sour, with a candy syrup like taste and aftertaste. To reiterate - very syrupy (taste not feel), sweetness (cherry, licorice, etc.) with hints of oak. Hard to distinguish for me whether the beer leans towards sweet or dry due to the prevalence of both. Finishes syrupy sweet with hints of the dark fruit and fades into a dry tartness. Thin ?!

Overall - the aroma had me drooling but the taste made me think the brewers need to spend some time perfecting the beer. It is good - but not great. The complex laers of fruit and tart sourness are delicious but overall I must say it is too syrupy and too sweet. Enjoyable and would gladly drink again but for 13 dollars I will not purchase this again. Sorry New Belgium, you got nothing on RR.

3.43/5  rDev -19.5%

Big thanks to Abecall98 for providing this beer. I tried this beer on tap early on and had not fully appreciated sours at that point. Now that I can better understand the style I am happy to try this again. Abel is a great BA and a generous trading partner.

Pours with a fairly thin light beige head that quickly falls to a ring of foam around the edges of the glass. The beer is brownish orange in color with a deep color. When held to the light there is a slight haze to the beer.

Wow this aroma is earthy and full of funk. More than I expected. Certainly tart and acidic but also more dirt like than anticipated.

Initial tartness gives way to toasted malt flavor. Once you become more accustomed to the tartness you taste cherry and tart green grape. More vinegar like than most sours I've tried. I try not to use that as a descriptive, but it fits here. I get a small sense of wood here, but frankly not too much. It seems almost more straight wood vs. some of the common flavor components that are attributed to wood aging.

Carbonation is tiny on the tongue and just brightens the flavor. Body is fairly light, but the beer explodes in your mouth due to the tartness.

Truth be told, I do not enjoy this as much as other sours I've had.

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Corked 750 ml bottle, hand written date of 11/07 and # 12,748. I received this bottle from a Powerball win on 2/28/08 from hwwty4 in Kansas City. I was happy to receive it then and, as it turns out, am even happier now.

A: Pours a pretty, deep, clear ruby/amber with a 2-finger, light tan, dense head that falls quickly to a cover with light, spotty lace. Viewing the body into a light there are ample carbonation streams visible.
S: The smell is sour and vinegary with a wood quality showing through too.
T: The taste, at first, was noticeably vinegar and pleasantly sour. By the 2nd or 3rd drink however the vinegar flavor mellowed and felt just right, the sour flavor even improved and becoming noticeable, without the strong vinegar taste being as prominent, were some fruit-cherries (it seemed though light on the palate) and the woodiness was clearly evident.
Mouthfeel: Body is light, but wouldn't expect otherwise, dry and well-carbonated.
Drinkability is almost excellent. The ABV is moderate, flavor is great and, so, the only downside to drinking this whole bottle and more is the acidity you feel in your throat after a swallow. I wish I had another of this vintage in my cellar.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Major thanks to JohnGalt1 for this bottle of screaming flavors.

Pours a thick looking, cloudy, reddish brown, topped briefly by a lively skim, followed by a bare head, scant bubbles.

The aroma is full, sharp, vinegar-laden, vinous, with hints of bretty funk, even lighter oak, and more rounded yeasty notes.

The taste is full flavored in the way that blue whales are large. Mouthpuckering tart at outset wakes up the tongue's taste receptors to receive some other strong flavors. Wine, oak, unripe cherry, and lesser funky flavors crest into a dry finish that finally resolves, as sour lets up, to a sweet and lasting fruitiness. Nice.

Peppy carb., bright, light in mouth, excellent finish. It's a mouth staggerer.

Drinkability is rated as a solid sipper that's a palate stripper.

Impression: A wonderful bitch slap of delicious infections. Yayy bugs.

3.82/5  rDev -10.3%

Got in the NooB BIF from psiweaver...thanks man! Looking forward to this! Poured from a 22oz bottle into my De Dolle large snifter. Pours a redish brown, but fills the glass a solid dark brown. A small fizzy off-white head rises, bit dissipates quick remaining as a ring of froth around the outside. Leaves a patchy, quick sliding fizzy lacing.

Aroma is that of a very nice flanders. Wood, vinegar, slight funkiness, earthy. As it warms up, the acidic notes get stronger.

Very sharp vinegar flavor, similar to Rodenbach grand cru...without the harshness. Starts off acidic and sharp...very fizzy, slight funk slides in with some oak/wood...very mild fruit notes torwards the end...and finishes very dry. Light body, high carbonation, and low booze feel. A very decent flanders ale...not the best though.

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

A: poured a dark brown with a thin head and a good amount of lacing left on the glass.

S: very nice oak vinegar and acidic aromas with hints of of barrel funk and cherries.

T: great tart sourness with funk vinegar and acidc citrus I believe. There also seems to be some cherries.

M: medium body with a good amount of carbonation and a sweet sour and dry finish.

D: very drinkable sour beer from new belgium. I'm glad I can get more of thi beer

4.39/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle, courtesy of Jeff (AleWatcher). Seemingly yet another in an endless line of great beers that have made their way to me from his neck of the woods. Thanks once again, Jeff!

Pours deep red-brown, very little head whatsoever, and what's there disappears quickly. Nice legs though.

Nose is very nice - vinegar sourness pairs with a vibrant sour cherry presence, with just a bit of the malt body peeking through to provide a subtle but rich, spicy brown sugar note that does little more than provide a bit of complexity; this is all about the sour.

Puckering acetic (vinegar) sourness up front is bracingly sharp, acidic, with a strong black cherry body. Intensely sour, but delicious. Finish carries some dry oak, a bit tannic, dry up front, though there's a bit of juicy sour cherry that sneaks up on you. Beautifully executed - world class beer.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, very acidic, with a sharp bite in the back of the throat on the swallow, and sharp carbonation that complements the acidic bite.

Drinkability is phenomenal, if you like sours. Fantastic beer.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours brown with light tan head. Aroma of VERY sour cherry and very faint toast. Nice funkiness to it. Flavor is mouth puckering! Really, I can only taste "Sour" and I love it. Mouth feel is light-medium body with fizzy carbonation. Overall, GREAT stuff!

4.77/5  rDev +12%

Poured into allagash chalice.

Poured pretty rough, results in a nice 2 fingers of head that goes away right away. Leaves no lacing.

the smell is sour and tart candy! when it is cold the smell is a bit mild, as it warms the sour candy smell comes out much more.

The taste is great. Each sip get a bit more sour each time. Sour I get a lot of currents and dark fruit from this beer. A great dry finish on the mouth with a great lip smack of sour pucker!

Had a bomber by myself and it reminded me of when I would eat a whole bag of sour gummy worms and wreck my taste buds when I was a kid!

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Drinking while Eric from new Belgium sits next to me, slightly unnerving.

Dark amber with nice clarity, big poof of white bead, little lacing.

Lightly tart aroma, some sweetness.

Nice larg burst of sour tart fruit up, fades to light backend sweetness and a nice tart aftertaste left in the mouth.

Really enjoyable, nice tartness sticks with you for a while.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

2010 La Folie Sour Brown Ale -

Best Lips Of Faith outing yet (in my opinion) granted this is one of my favorite style ales - Flanders Style Sour Ale. Poured from a bomber (22oz) bottle into a Brouwerij ' tij tulip glass. Purchased at my local liquor store - Olive Tree Market

A: Deep copper brown with a reddish hue. Real mellow head that dissipates quickly and leaves little to no lacing in the glass.

S: Sweet/sour cherry and some bready pinot noir notes in there as well - also a little woody and spicy at the end.

T: Cherry vinegar tartness that balances with the dry woodiness of this overall outstanding and original style aged ale which is fermented 1 - 3 years in French oak barrels. Love it!!!

M: Light bodied and crispy smooth - mellow carbonation that rolls off the palate.

D: If I could afford to shell out nearly $15.00 a bottle, I would drink these all day and night. I suppose the price reflects the quality though. Real nice!

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

A - Pocahontas covered in strawberry jam. Head is light tan.
S - Sour cherries, woody. Balsamic vinegar.
T - Tart, oak, slightly bitter. Citrusy finish.
M - Cleansing, velvety, lasting aftertaste.
D - Very drinkable, not as potent as other sour ales.

4.34/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a snifter.
One of my first sour ales.
Pours a dark cherry red/mahogany color with a little bit of fizzy head that dissipates quickly. As soon as I pour I can smell the sour/tart smell of it, quite nice really. Sticking my nose in it I get a strong sour odor as well as some fruity cherry and a bit of oak.
First sip, WOW! At first a mildly sweet taste and then a rush of pleasant sourness that is very intense, sour cherry is the best way to describe it. Just before this sourness gets out of hand it mellows into a pleasant tartness that lingers on the sides of my tongue for a good minute or so. This is one of the more memorable first sips of beer that I have had. Upon taking a few more sips and getting used to it I can detect a hint of earthy/leathery flavor in there and a bit of bright fruitiness just before the finish.
I am having this beer with dinner and after taking a few bites I am curious to see how this pairs with food... I'm eating a mushroom and cauliflower strudel with fresh herbs and goat cheese, a flaky, savory and earthy dish with a nice bit of pungent goat cheese. After having a few bites I wasn't sure the beer would work with it but when I took a swig... cool! The sourness at first seems to clash but then it lifts the aftertaste and fattiness of the dish away from the tongue and the fruity/cherry and vinegar flavors dominate while still mingling with the earthy taste of the mushrooms and goat cheese. Quite nice.
I don't usually have a meal or food with beers that I review but I'm glad that I did this time. This beer is fairly complex with some very strong sour flavors and it still plays nice with a rich, savory meal.
Overall this beer is sour, fruity, earthy and thirst quenching. I will be having this again.

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%

A- Very dark red with a brownish tinge. Nice light brown head forms upon pouring and quickly dissipates. Tons of carbonation; there are bubbles all throughout the beer and sticking to the bottom of the glass.

S- Very fruity and complex. Tart cherries with a sweet undertone reminiscent of concord grapes. There's a slight funky sourness to give it an edge, but it's not too pronounced. Good stuff.

T- Ooh-wee, that's sour! I never would have guessed it was this sour based on the smell. The sourness is downright puckering like very tart, unsweetened cherry juice. Once you get past that, there's actually a caramel taste with a touch of licorice in the finish. Very interesting and again, quite complex.

M- Medium-bodied, although it seems lighter due to all the carbonation. It complements the flavor quite well.

D- The sourness and the mouthfeel give the beer a refreshing quality, although it's too sour to lend itself to mass consumption. Still very good in this area.

I've been away from sours for a while and this one was a bit of a shock to the senses at first, but I warmed up to it and it eventually won me over. Obviously an extremely well-crafted beer and an absolute must for sour beer fans.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

750mL bottle, dated 3/08, poured into a tulip.

Pours a dark cherry-wood brown that shows through a deep hazy copper when held up to light. There is a small creamy beige head that recedes to a thin soapy cap that leaves a bit of lacing.

The aroma is tart cherries and green apples with some brown sugar sweetness thrown in. There is also a bit of lactic sourness and brett in addition to the oak spiciness.

The aroma is even more sour, especially up front with lots of cherries and vinegar tartness with the sweetness of the brown sugar taking a back seat to the tartness and funk which comes out in the finish along with the French oak.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and effervescent with a ton of oak and sugar-covered tart cherries in the finish.

I've had this a few times and it's a fantastic beer. I'm not sure if it's the best flanders red but it's a great version of the style.

3.96/5  rDev -7%

22 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass

A-Pours a deep reddish brown with a half finger white head that dissipates nearly as quickly as it forms. A few scant bubbles and a ring around the glass is all that remains after a half minute.

S-Lots of vinegar and acetic notes with dark fruit and wood undertones. A slight bit of funk and mustiness is in there but does not assert itself.

T-Initial sweetness hits the front of the tongue. Dark fruits and malt sweetness. This is immediately followed by a huge, sharp tartness with overwhelming acetic and vinegar flavors. This sharp tartness gradually gives way to a blunter sourness that fights with wood flavors from the oak along with a slight leathery, mustiness to the finish.

M-Carbonation is medium high. Body is on the light side despite the color. Mouth feel is quite nice, somewhat drying in the finish, but not overly so. Enough to make you want another sip.

D-Well, I did finish the bomber by myself, although I wouldn't say it was easy. There is no doubt this is a finely crafted beverage, but next time I think I will want to split a bomber. The first 12 oz or so went down easily enough; palate fatigue beyond this made the last 6 oz a little difficult. A little on the expensive side, but I think I like it better than the Duchesse.

3.3/5  rDev -22.5%

Thanks gford217

A: Muddy brown, almost dark red - tiny off white head, quickly dissipating.

S: Sour, acidic, vinous, musty

T: Good initial sour bite, almost puckering. Taste up front is sweet and sour dark fruit, quite acidic. Theres something I dont like which lurks between the initial bite and the lingering bitter aftertaste.

This Flanders has an earthy, musty thing going on mid palate that just seems to be at war with the other characteristics. Is it the wood or the malt of the base beer? Im not sure, but it is sharp and jumped out at me as an off flavor. I wouldn't call it "barnyard", either. This beer seemed to meld as it warmed, however, and what I didn't like mid palate seemed to become more tame.

M: Medium bodied, spritzy carb - fittingly so.

D: Bleh, sours can potentially be wearing on the palate to begin with. Considering I was somewhat dissapointed with the taste aspect of this Flanders I will probably pass on this in the future. Some advise: dont drink this too cold, and you might love it.

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%

On Tap @ Elysian
L: Clean dark brown beer of sediment. Poured with a modest head of medium tan bubbles. 4.0

S: Wonderfully rich sour cherry and a little light spice. Very pleasing, extremely inviting. Very similar to the Duchesse (according to my memory). 4.5

T: Sweeter than expected and mellower sour flavor than expected. It is sweet forward, then drys out and gets sour. Flavor is more currant than cherry and a little smoke and wood at the end. It is extremely tasty. Doesn't hold up quite as well as the ducesse though, the flavor weakens as the glass lowers. 4

M: Smooth for sure, a little thinner overall than i might prefer, but good. 3.5

D: This is exceedingly drinkable. I think I could drink a pitcher, although I would suffer for that choice. 4.5

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

A - Dark, somewhat murky brown. Thin, bubbly brown head forms on top and quickly fades to a thin bubbly ring. Dark ruby highlights when held up to light source.

S - Dark fruits and vinegar come through initially. Hints of wood come through as well. Classic Flanders aroma.

T - Dark fruits and vinegar, much like the nose. Strong acetic acid note. As the beer warms the wood comes through even more. Puckering sourness in the finish.

M/D - Light to medium bodied. Very easy drinking. Excellent beer here.

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

A- Pours a dark red-brown liquid, with a brownish head. Not too large or thick head (1.5 cm) , that dissipated quickly.

S - Smells of fruit, mildly must, slight vinegar. Smells like a sour Flemish style beer. Maybe a slight smell of wood / oak.

T - yum.. Up front sour / acetic/ vinegar tones. Noticable residual sweetness, however not as sweet as some Flemish reds. Decent lactic sour finish to balance the sweetness, and then a puff of acetic at the end. Lingering taste of wood / oak on the tongue, and a slight musty earthy tone. Hops notes are subtle and hard to perceive but do show at the end ever so slightly.

M - Mouthfeel is tight and dry. The acidity keeps this beer tight.

D - While I am a sour fan, I do find the acetic / vinegar tones a bit much to quaff too much. However, I do appreciate the fact that there is not too much residual sweetness as some modern commercial Flander Reds are over the top.

Over all a good example of the style, even if made in the US.
I'd like to see a bit less acetic and a bit more lactic. But I will still look for more of this Folie to cellar.

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

Bottle shared by Huhzubendah, thanks for the opportunity. Beer is brown and clear, forms a white head.

Aroma is like balsamic vinegar, nice. A hint of wood.

Its really balanced, not as good as I had hoped but definitely a great example of a Flanders. It is definitely sour, good acetic quality but there is also a tartness that gets me in the corners. Its enjoyable and I'm glad I got to try it.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Lips Of Faith - La Folie from New Belgium Brewing