Lips Of Faith - La Folie | New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - La FolieLips Of Faith - La Folie

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States | website

Style: Flanders Oud Bruin

Flemish Sour Brown Ale fermented in stainless then transferred to barrels for 1-4 years of aging then blended to taste.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2002

Reviews: 1,045 | Ratings: 3,811
4.57/5  rDev +8.3%

A-Deep copper with a thin light tan head that left nice lacing.

S-Sour apple(granny smith) and a deep residing oak aroma. A bit of "odd" mustiness creeps in toward the end.

T-Like a freakin beer sweet tart. sour cherry/apple punch all mellowed out by the astringent oak. Very nice!

M-Medium-light bodied with a CRAZY mouth puckering astringency.

D-This is one sour mo' fo'! A simply outstanding brew one has to drink to appreciate. To score this on tap was even more of a treat, what a great beer!

4.72/5  rDev +11.8%

A - Redish-copper tint, effervescent white head

S - Funky, moist hay, earthy, cherry

T - Funky sourness as expected, sharp cherry, acidic, earthy

M - Effervescent, medium body, smooth

Modeled after Rodenbach Grand Cru but holds its own. More sour, just as refreshing, delicious drink

4.23/5  rDev +0.2%

Big thanks to ArrogantB for one I've wanted to try for a while.

Bottled 11/07 #13,451

Pours dark brown with a lighter tan head that falls fast. Nose brings a mild sour and a lot of apples. As it warms, vanilla seems to pop out more and it all calms down. Hooooie. Flavor is sour. I mean a real biting sour. Very intense. Definite fruits, strong vinegar bite (but in a good enough way), apples, and just sour, sour, sour. Feel has a pretty full carbonation and the liquid is fairly smooth. Even for the initiated,this is still going to be intense. Well made though as it's obvious time and effort went into the production.

I'd be interested to try this after it's been laid down for 5 years.

4.4/5  rDev +4.3%

bottled 07/08 Dark, red-brown color with a minimal head. Smells sticky-sweet and bready,glue and sour and certainly tastes that way, delicious with a slight hint of lemon zest. This is a really good sour and on par with supplication but slightly sweeter and thicker. Le Terroir is still my favorite NB but this is a very close second.

4.72/5  rDev +11.8%

This is my second bottle of Folie. This one being from 11/07, bottle 12,213.

A: Poured a deep, almost blood red, a little darker, with lots of brown, and red tints. Very attractive. A nice half inch of off white head that reduced to a nice thin coating. A very attractive beer. Clear.

S: Cherries, sour apples, sour, and sour, with a little more sour. There is a definite oak scent, and some pinot smells as well. Very complex. No hops nothing bitter. Sour. Very sour. As it breathes, it gets more complex. But most of these flavors continue to stand out, they're just more present.

T: SOUR! Cherries, interesting funky tart taste, more than likely from the inoculation. Dry, oakey finish. Very few actual malty tastes, or typical beer tastes. A very sour beer, makes me pucker with every sip.

M: Thin, not very carbonated, but perfectly balanced with how thin it is. Very dry finish. Begs for another sip even with the acidic tartness. Can really feel it in the back of the mouth.

D: Very drinkable, even though it is very sour. One bottle is the perfect serving. But a few more could be consumed quite easily. A great beer, that is made with great regards to quality. Solid!

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

On tap at 515 in Santa Cruz. Poured into a snifter. Hazy opaque saffron with a nebulous white head that leaves spotty wet lacing. Aromas of peppery alcohol, limoncello, citrus zest, pinot noir. Flavors of caramel apple sweetness, green apple skin, fruity jammy wininess, and acetic sourness, with a dry oaky finish. Sharp mouthfeel with modest carbonation. Awesome complexity.

4.41/5  rDev +4.5%

On a business trip in Denver and scoped this out at a nearby liquor store.

This beer pours a beautiful glowing red color. This beer is very bubbly.

Smell is of musty tanginess. Somewhat more subdued than others of the same style.

The taste is great. Of course the tangy sourness hits immediately, but I have definitely had worse (or better if you're into that sort of thing). But what's great is that initial tanginess subsides in due time, and the mouth is filled with a great fruity flavor, including cherry. The finish is a bit dry, but there is also a bit of that nice sourness in the finish, too. I'm left feeling incredibly satisfied.

I'm not a huge fan of sours, but I had to give this one a shot, and I'm thrilled I did because this one is incredibly well done.

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

2007 vintage

A - Poured a copper color with an off white head that leaves lacing

S - Is of funky sour fruits but in a good way

T - The fruit flavors come out pretty tart yet again very tasty

M - This beer has a fuller body with light carbonation to it

D - You have to sip this one to enjoy it its very good and nice to see that New Belgium is capable of making such a good beer worth finding to try

4.23/5  rDev +0.2%

Bottle is 2007 Vintage (is that the only vintage of this brew?) ferk it!

pours a red amber color with a nice white head. the nose is very musty, slight sourness, dark fruits tickle me pink. WOW! the taste is super tart and super sour! I taste oak and fruits and super insane sourness! Deelish...medium bodied, sour finish with a thick texture remaining on my tongue for hours, days, and weeks to come!

4.76/5  rDev +12.8%

2008 vintage- pours a muddy deep rust colour with a vigorous initial head with excellent lacing. Nose- sweet cherries, wood, green apples and tart citrus. Taste- extremely tart and mouth puckering. Cherry taste doesn't overpower- well blended earthy malts, horseblanket, minerals, lemon rinds. Finish is very woody and dry. Drinkability is very good with medium to high carbonation.

4.17/5  rDev -1.2%

A: Pours a deep brown/reddish color. A two finger tan head forms and recedes to leave a little lace.
S: Very fruity and sour, funky. Peaches, apples, pears, cherries, ect. Very sweet as well. Vinegar and tannin like. Lots of complexities in the nose.
T: Tart, sour, and fruity. Almost to sweet for my tastes. Vinegar and grapes as well. Belgian yeast and funkiness. Lots of complexities, and a huge flavor.
M/D: A full body and good creaminess. Low carbonation. Because of the sourness, this is a sipper. Though I am really enjoying this.

Overall, a great beer. The sourness borders on cloying. Which is the only reason I did not give this a higher grade. I love sour beers, but almost to much for me. A solid all around beer that is complex as hell. Highly recommended.

4.54/5  rDev +7.6%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours dark crimson, with a small off-white head, average retention, some lacing.

S: Complex mix of scents - light bubblegum, sweet malt and vanilla, mixed with oak and lactic acid.

T: Light sweet malt flavour with bubblegum and some molasses is there initially. Vinegar and lactic acid, oak and berry there as well. Strong barrel character.

M: Strong acidity, dry, overall light body.

D: Good drinkability, though its strong acidity takes this away at times, a swirl of the glass lightens this effect and makes it easier to drink. Real good sour, glad I finally got to try it.

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Thanks to Cartdan for this in the secret bunny 2008 BIF. Reviewed from notes. Poured from 750ml bottle into a Silly Scotch tulip glass.

Cloudy reddish brown amber color fades to dark ruby color at edges and at extreme outer edge is yellow. Light tan foamy quickly disipating head. Smells like oak, sour apricots, cheeries, with some damp earth smells, like a forest right before a rain. Some funk. Picking up hints of lemon scented nail polish remover but not in an offensive manner. Smells of Lacto sour gone crazy. defininly going to taste sour. WOW! This has an explosive sour taste. Tastes like soured cherry, sweeter grapfriut, almost a hint of metal this one is funky and sour and delicious. Champagne like effervescence, thin tangy mouthfeel. sour taste really stays in the aftertaste.

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

on tap @ Pizza Port in Carlsbad, CA

A- auburn to copper with a milky off white head and decent retent

S- sour fruit, lactic, funky

T- tangy, mouthpuckering malt flavors, sour fruity flavors, some spice in finish

M- medium body that coats the palatte and leaves a film, well carbonated

D- very tart and mouth puckering, dead on for style, recommended, very interesting brew

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

My buddy sent me this bottle a couple months ago and I've been itching to try it and tonight is the night. I've had about every beer that New Belgium brews and oddly this is the first I've reviewed. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale flute. Hand bottled in November of 2007, bottle number 12,163.

Appearance- Pours a semi chill hazed brownish orange with a nice thick and excited head that slowly recedes to almost nothing. No cap, small collar and plenty of sticky lacing is abundant.
Smell- Exactly what I was expecting and very nice! Loads of sour green apple and slightly metallic sour pears. Apple cider vinegar and fermented cherries come to mind as it warms with a light bit of vanilla and oak. Doesn't have as much funk as I was expecting and is actually pretty clean. It makes me salivate profusely knowing how sour and delicious this thing is going to be!
Taste- Very sour from the first sip but mellows a bit as my mouth acclimates. A bit of funky sour apple and musty balsamic vinegar add a whole lot of acidity. Some vanilla and light woodiness are apparent but not for long. The sour is the dominate characteristic (obviously) and it's a bit sharper than I'd prefer. Definitely gets better as it warms and becomes much easier drinking. A long lingering brown apple and vanilla aftertaste seems to stay with me.
Mouthfeel- Loads of sharp Champaign carbonation and a light crisp acidic feel.
Drinkability- For the most part this thing is uber quaffable. At times it can get semi acidic and the carbonation keeps you from chugging but this is really good. New Belgium is hit or miss for me but I definitely enjoyed this one!

4.42/5  rDev +4.7%

On tap at Belmont Station's Puckerfest, I was super excited to try this on draught, as the bottle I had a few months back didn't quite do it for me, was actually a bit to acidic, with a stronger vinegar character then I care for...but I was not disappointed this time, it was great!

Served in a pilsner glass, La Folie is a murky chestnut with a small off-white collar that leaves light lace.

Smell is sweet and sour, with fruity, bubblegum notes.

Taste is oaky and vinous, very tart but not overwhelming so, with just enough sweetness, wow! Really nice, much smoother then the older bottle I had.

Mouthfeel is creamy and carbonated, with a medium body.

Drinkablity is very good, great really. If I had the time to try and session these, at only $4/pint, I would have! But since I only had one smaller glass, I can't give it the 5 my instincts say it would merit.

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

A - Amber color with a substantial head and good clarity.
S - Lacto, aceto and brett aromas mix with a slight malty character to create a great mix.
T - A tart sourness, married with some great brett characteristics (Goaty, horsey, farmyard), some good oak flavors and malty toasty caramel.
M - light to medium bodied with high level of carbonation, and warmth.

This is a great beer, my only complaint would be the amount of Aceto present in the beer. Even with this, it still makes for a great beer.

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

I will admit that this was my last tasting at the tap room in Fort Collins, so my chicken scratch is a bit chicken-scratchy and my memory is a bit hazy. Nonetheless, I'll make due---

This brew is special. No doubt about it.

Pours a slightly hazy reddish-brown with a nice creamy tan head that settles down into a sticky skim that clings to the side of the glass. So far so good. The smell is sweet, a tad vinagary, with a hint of cherries. The taste is pretty darn cool. Sharp. acidic. sweet. cherries. sour. It's got it all. I wish I could get some locally.

So I'll just cross my fingers that some day this beer will make its way to my home in Florida.

2.59/5  rDev -38.6%

Pours a burgundy color with a lot of carbonation. Smell just knocked me back. It's INCREDIBLY tart and sweet, with a touch of vinegar on top of it. While thinking the smell was interesting, the taste was not for me. Way too tart. Every sip made my lips pucker. I couldn't get past the tartness of this beer. I had a hard time with this beer, and, unfortunately, it's simply not for me.

Photo of
4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

750ml bottle, 2006 vintage.

A beautiful, clear, dark red/brown liquid. Modest, sand colored head. Some lacing, no legs.

Scent was vinegar/acetic acid and funk. Once your nose starts working again, you pick up a fruity, underlying sweetness, citrus in character.

Taste was, no disrespect intended, reminiscent of a liquid Sweet Tart! Puckeringly sour initially, but carried along well by a quickly following sweetness -- fruity. Some hints of vanilla were mixed in, but very mild.

Light to medium in body. Medium carbonation. Quite dry.

I'm still breaking into the sour beers, but this one may be what pushes me over the edge. Initially, didn't like it that much, but as I got past the sour edge, I really began to enjoy it, and found it incredibly drinkable. Went quite well with sushi.

4.22/5  rDev 0%

750ml bottle (Huge thanks to Skoisirius). A clear maroon pour with a small soapy white head. Aroma consists of apples, malts, cherries, cranberries, hops, with a slight caramel note. Taste is definitely sour and quite fruity. A nice sour tartness mixed together with slight hopiness and the light spices is absolutely wonderful. I also detect a faint cinnamon note. Palate is sour and acidic from the fruit element. Overall, This is some good stuff! If you want a change from the hum drum of other lagers and ales pick up one of these. Rather expensive but worth the money!

4.74/5  rDev +12.3%

Being a big fan of Flemish Reds I was extremely excited to try La Folie during a tour of the New Belgium Brewery (highly recommend the tour if in the area). After polishing off several other samples to warm up I was finally ready for the big dog. Smell is INTENSE to start, Belgian funk, vinegar, some sour fruit. First sip was so sour and flavorful I honestly couldn't even decide if I liked it. Second helped my mouth adjust a little, and by the third I was completely hooked. Just an explosion of carbonation, sour fruits and yeast every time. If you like sour beers you absolutely have to track this down; when I was at the Brewery 750ml bottles were still availible for purchase.

4.22/5  rDev 0%

I enjoyed my first La Folie (bottled 3/08) with a steak, on the porch.

It pours a dirty amber color with a massive head that fizzes out fast.

It smells of vinegar, sour apples, cherries and barnyard animals. Very funky.

It tastes woody, tart, vinegary and puckertastic! It is so sour right off the bat, but as it warms, it begins to glide down very easy making this an extremely quaffable beer when it's all said and done. Lots of carbonation.

This is well worth the effort to track down. I'll leave my last bottle in the fridge for a few months to see how it ages.

4.17/5  rDev -1.2%

Tanks to lightindarkness for sharing this beer on a random Thursday night.

A- Pours a reddish brown with an off white fizzy head. The bubbles continued to appear throughout the tasting!
S- Smells like sour apples and cherries with figs and leaves.

T- VERY SOUR! It starts off watery and finishes very dry! The carbonation is overpowering almost a gassy effect. As the glass got warmer the cherry and alcohol taste was mote apparent. In fact, I think this beer would taste even better warm with a cinnamon stick added.

M- Can you say carbonation?

D- Depending on the weather and what I am eating the drink ability of this beer would greatly change. Not for a cold day or paired with a thick hearty stew. Could see drinking this beer on a sunny afternoon with my wife.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours red with a tan head into my glass. The aroma and flavor are a wonderfully balanced (relatively speaking) mix of musty barnyard flavors with tart fruit. I'm reminded of a raspberry lemonade with the esters and it goes nicely with the dusty, earthy taste of the wild yeast. There's also the oak character, which contributes a nice element of vanilla and toasted wood. Really a great, beer, must try.

Lips Of Faith - La Folie from New Belgium Brewing