2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lips Of Faith - La Folie - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - La FolieLips Of Faith - La Folie

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  6.00% ABV

Flemish Sour Brown Ale fermented in stainless then transferred to barrels for 1-4 years of aging then blended to taste.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - La Folie Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,421 | Reviews: 910 | Show All Ratings:
maxpower

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

750 ml caged and corked bottle # 05-2683 pours a cloudy reddish brown color with a small light brown head. Aromas of vinegar and fruit, mouth puckering sour, tart cherry and sour apple flavors. Medium bodied with perfect carbonation, La Folie is an amazing beer.

08-25-2006 19:20:28 | More by maxpower
Prufrock

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

750mL bottle, corked and caged, into a thin pilsner.

slightly hazy bright copper-orange with tons of rising bubbles. an inch and a half of foamy off-white head that retains well but leaves little lace.

sweet and sour cherries dominate the aroma. some sugary cider, sour apple, lemon sour, and a slight sharp bite of acidic vinegar.

feel is fairly light and refreshing with a biting carbonation. tartness dominates the flavor with a touch of funk. hints of fruity sweetness and an undertone of bready, cookie-like malt. finishes very dry and tart with another acidic bite of balsamic vinegar. very drinkable, and a very good beer.

08-19-2006 03:55:10 | More by Prufrock
Boto

Connecticut

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle #806, bottled 06-04: This one pours a hazy, slightly reddish amber color. There was a bit of a frothy off-white head on it, but it died off rather quickly. The aroma is excellent. Sour cherries prevail, with an oakiness to it also. The taste has a dryness to it. The oakiness is definitely there also, much like a good dry wine. There is a mellow taste of tart cherries. An excellent beer!

08-18-2006 19:26:02 | More by Boto
karst

4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

One of my top 10 tasting experiences. Purchased from Lucas Liquors in Ellisville, Mo in early February 2006 @ $11 (one of best investments I have ever made!) their last bottle brought out from the cellar by one the the friendly staff who was discussing my new interests in Belgians and said "I might have something you would like to try".

The front lable with its - Bottled # - is now partly worn away from wear. I now have it pasted across the front of my beer tasting Journal. Hand bottled # 05-25-02. The recycled bottle now holds a homebrewed Belgian Dubbel not nearly so fine.

--- 500 ---

Cage and cork releases tart cherry/berry to the nose and deep crimson cherry red to the eye. Higher carbonation kicks up an impressive pink head that endures in my two New Belgium 0.4 L rastal sniffers.

A sublimely eniticing sourness balances with soft slightly sweet fruit aroma.

Acidic bite that I found awesome was softened by sweet berries more concrete in flavor than aroma. You don't expect this exceptional mouthfeel and full body to be accompied with such dry finish. Tanins from the wood acomplish this and more.

When you find one like this you rarely review it well - its enough to enjoy it.

I think I was suposed to meet up with this bottle. I have looked for it often but never found La Folie Wood since. Something I'll never forget.

500th Beer Advocate review.

07-25-2006 23:35:48 | More by karst
Iguana

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

I was a bit hesitant of this one since my experience with sour beers in the past hasnt been too great. Was pleasently surprised though. Poured a nice dark reddish color with a decent head. The smell on this one had me salivating while my friend looked at me with a face that just said, Are you serious?. Smells of vinegar, some malty sweetness in there and a hint of cherries. Taste was amazing. Vinegar sour start, followed by a hint of cherries and a nice sweet oaky finish. This is a beer with alot goin on. As it warmed up the oakyness came out a bit more and the sourness either faded or I just got used to it, either way I absolutely loved what it had to offer. Mouthfeel was slightly acidic but very quenching. Drinkability was for me very high, I loved it, but this is not a beer for the weak hearted. A very intense enjoyable drinking experience, I only wish I could find this stuff locally bottled.

07-25-2006 22:00:31 | More by Iguana
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

Thanks jpm30. A clear rlight reddish colour with lots of large bubbles in the head. Vinegar and malt aroma. Clearly sour taste that sweetens as you drink it. Vineous and slightly rich, wood only detactable before the taste buds are overpowered.. Great after salty fish. A slightly milder alternative to a Cantillon, overpowering the mouth but not for the entire day.

07-23-2006 04:22:22 | More by Sammy
benito

Oregon

Ah La Folie. Here is my bias: I believe that hands down this is the most sophisticated and near-perfect beer made in the United States today. It pushes the envelope of the American craft brew scene and offers drinkers the best of the best of the best sir.

And it's free (and on tap) at the brewery!

A: Amber with a thin head that clings on for dear life. The head seems to know that it's not worthy of the beer it tops...

S: Lots of cherry, but the sourness literally jumps out of the glass. I've never really seen another beer that portrays it's mouthfeel in the bouquet!

T: A great balance of oak and cherry. Sourness dominantes the palate, bt there's a fruity sweetness to balance things out and a fine pepperiness in the aftertaste.

M and D: Wonderfully balanced. The match of sour and sweet creates a beer that is tremendously refreshing, tasty, and complicated. It's length gives it a medium body, but this only adds to the drinkability.

What a wonderful beer. If La Folie becomes the standard by which other brewers measure their beers, the American craft beer world will be in for a treat.

07-22-2006 00:08:48 | More by benito
shbobdb

Indiana

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

---July 4th, 2006. 2006 vintage---
Thanks ColoradoBobs for letting me try this rare beauty.

I've had some Flanders Browns before, and I enjoyed them, so I was excited to try this prime example of a related style.

It is most definately tarter than the Browns. It also tastes a little less like something crawled into the bottle and died. That is both good and bad.

First Impressions . . . From the Fridge:
This beer is really quite refreshing, actually. In a lot of ways, it reminds me of Grolsch . . . a fairly neutral taste background with a tart, acetic ending.

As it warms:
Vanillin and other compounds from the wood make their presence known. The tartness continues to dominate and it slowly begins to take on a slight malt-vinegar aspect. I don't like malt-vinegar, but I do like this, which means that it is mostly lactobacillus doing the work rather than acetobacter. That's good, I was worried it would be a drainpour. The beer itself is a beautiful red-gold with just the faintest ring of head. Delicate and beautiful.

As it wams some more:
Still a dry beer, but some of the residual sugars are starting to show. Just a pinch to combat the extreme acidity. A little bit more funk starts to make its presence known, but nothing too extreme. Sour cherries, with some tangerine. It reminds me of the pruno my friends and I brewed in High School . . . but good. I don't know if that makes sense, but that's how I feel.

Second Glass:
Yeah . . . I'm beginning to understand why this beer is so sought after. After my relatively positive experience with some Guezes and Jolly Pumpkin, I think I'm going to have to more seriously investigate sour beers. I only wish it were hotter outside. This would be a perfect thirst-quencher. It feins complexity, while actually being a fairly straight-forward, delicious beer.

A pity it isn't more available.

Thanks again, ColoradoBobs. This is mighty tastey.

---October 17th, 2006. 2004 Vintage---

Ahhhh, but a little age on this beer and it becomes a whole different animal. My-oh-my. First off, much of the acidic character has mellowed, as the wood character. Instead what I have before me is a wonderful combination of these two flavours mixed with a large blast of sweet malt. It actually reminds me very much of Rodenbach Grand Cru at the moment, but more complex without adding an unpleasant funkiness nor an excessive sweetness. And no old cheese, like I'd expect from a Gueze (yes, different styles, but I've been drinking a fair amount of lambic lately and have come to think that 'old cheese' and 'sour beer' inherently go together).

Yeah, balanced. But balanced in the craziest way possible, with strong caramel malt (that's the flavour! Caramel!) expanding on the tongue . . . and then it starts to battle the sour cherries of the tart finish. Not really a 'clean' finish like I experienced with the 2006 vintage in July, but rather the sip that keeps on giving. Very mellow as well. My girlfriend was able to drink some of it and, after following my advice of a careful (and small) initial sip, was able to settle down and enjoy the beer with me.

So, my overall impression is that aging the beer mellows out the tartness, brings out the malt character while also dulling some of the harsher funk. Kumquat and caramel would be the best way to describe it.

Can't wait to experience the rest of the verticle! You're a hero ColoradoBobs.

---
2005 vintage, drank December 1st 2006
Not as good as the others. In the other years, there was always a hint of balsamic at the back, but this batch is like drinking vinegar. Really overpoweringly acetic, so much so that many of the other flavours are masked and it really does taste like a bottle of balsamic vinegar. A huge letdown.
I know that this beer has some variation from year to year, and the major difference I am noticing (aside from what I mentioned above) is that it is much, much sweeter. The 2004 had allowed its tartness to mellow which brought out more sweet, but the 2005 just seems plain sweeter. Like it was mashed at a higher temperature, or something.

Yeah, like a bottle of balsamic vinegar. Not quite a drain-pour, but definately not the sublime experience I have grown used to. Perhaps this beer goes through an awkward phase after aging for 1 year? If anyone tried this beer and didn't like it . . . was it the 2005 vintage?

07-04-2006 19:54:42 | More by shbobdb
Matthew

Connecticut

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

On tap at Concordia Ale House.
Served in a small tulip glass, reddish brown hue with a medium sized bubbley head.
Big notes of sour fruit (mainly apple and cherry), hints of vinegar, slight spice, and very sweet.
Nice big puckering sourness with many flavors. The sour fruitiness in the nose is more percievable as the beer warms and the more you drink it. Candy like sourness sort of like sweet tarts, with a faint hint of spice at the tail end of it, sort of like the spicey note in a cider. There is a nice malty back bone that holds the puckering sourness and the fruity/spicey flavors together. Very slight hints of an oakey taste was also percievable.
Nice carbonation, not too heavy.
Pretty drinkable in my opinion for the style. I had 2 and probably would have had another if I wasn't pushed for time.

06-29-2006 01:55:59 | More by Matthew
goochpunch

Hand Bottled #05-2388

Upon opening the bottle, La Folie gave my kitchen a professional, world-class money shot. I spent the next 10 minutes cleaning my damned walls so as not to have a vinegar stink wafting through my apartment in the morning.

Pours into my New Belgium globe a hazy, almost cloudy, brick red to light brown color with a rather thin head. As it wafts pass the nose, the aroma of vinegar becomes known (or is it the smell of my walls?). As I really get my nose in there, there comes to the fore a very acidic and and musty lambic qualities along with some tart cherries. Along with that are hints of oak, toasted malt, and the faintest of fruit juice. Incredibly deep nose. Taste is extremely sour. Not nearly as much of a vinegar in the flavors as in the aromas. Tart cherry flavors along with sour candy acidity. Other fruits are in there as well, but it's difficult to discern. Mouthfeel is slightly biting and bone dry. A lot going on here and an excellent drinker.

Thanks to jpm30 for the trade.

06-15-2006 05:12:38 | More by goochpunch
msubulldog25

On-tap at Concordia Ale House, Portland:
Tried as a sample pour on Sunday, back for a glass on Monday.

A: A beautiful red/brown without much head.

S: Sour with mild fruit/berry. Some vinegar but not overpowering. Complex tartness.

T: Quite sour but tart also, too. Rich raspberry flavor. Crisp, too.

M: Dry finish. Clean finish, surprisingly "refreshing", like lemonade on a hot summer day...

D: Not for everyone due to sourness (my wife hated it), but I enjoyed it immensely. Will definitely order again when I see it.

06-13-2006 17:33:42 | More by msubulldog25
neonbrown82

Nebraska

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

This is easily the best Flemish Red I've tried. Thanks to jpm30 for the trade. I've been wary about drinking the 750 since I have a love/hate relationship with sour beers, but I had a tasting with some friends who are really into them.

The beer pours to a nice ruby color with a brownish hue, fairly clear until the dregs are poured. Very little head, though it settles out to a small collar that stays the whole way through the drink. Light carbonation.

The smell has a great raspberry tart aroma. Not too vinegary at all, nor is it too sweet. Very oaky as well. The flavor is just as good. Just the perfect blend between raspberry tart, sweet, and dry. Awesome stuff. Quite puckery. Lasting oak tannins in the finish. Only a slight hint of barnyard funk.

Has a medium body with a carbonation that seems to tickle the tongue for long into the finish. The aftertaste lingers well beyond the finish.

I would definitely drink this again. Like I said, the best Flemish Red I've had. Not quite as smooth as Panil, but more in your face. Great oak flavor.

05-26-2006 03:02:33 | More by neonbrown82
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured from caged and corked 750ml bottle(room temp) an amber gold with a medium sized head of foam that dissipated slowly leaving a fine layer on the beer and the glass. Nice lacing.

The smell is a strong sour smell with yeasty notes. There's no mistaking that nose....

The taste is a very fruity sour, with a touch of yeatiness and some malty tones in the finish, that just grabs your palate and yells out loud..."here I am!" This is the only example of a Flanders Red Ale I've been able to try and it is just so damn good... a world class product in appearance, flavour, mouthfeel & drinkability!

Bottom line: Here is one of my favourite brews of *any* style out there. I can NOT recommend it enough!

05-20-2006 21:29:49 | More by Bitterbill
dwarvenspirits

2.8/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Had an opportunity to try this beer out. It has a beautiful copper, reddish hue to it. Very nice. It smells a little like vinegar when you first smell it. And it is extremely sour. I'm not talking lambic sour, try increasing that by about ten. Very intense sour flavor, almost like drinking a sour patch kid. It's difficult to discern flavors with this beer because of the sourness. There is a vinegar taste to it but there is also a pepper spiciness to it as well. I did taste a little pineapple towards the end of it and it certainly has a nice mouthfeel.

It's an interesting beer, but it's not for me. Certainly an aquired taste.

05-19-2006 19:19:11 | More by dwarvenspirits
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

4.78/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured into a tulip at Toronado in San Francisco. Wow, to say that I am impressed is an understatement. I am completely floored. To think that this was produced in Colorado of all places? I would never have dream this beer to come from anywhere but Flanders. I am so happy with this beer that I find it difficult to put it into words. If I could, I would drink this every day.

Appearance is brilliant. Utterly transparent rose amber body with red copper hues. Assertive carbonation with an ultra long lived pink head. Nose is acidic, containing oak, melon, and sour apples. Taste is tart funk, a blend of rotten cherries, moldy apricot, green apple skins, and Roquefort blue cheese. Mouthfeel is a bit chalky but otherwise difficult to put a handle on. There are so many conflicting sensations going on. Sweet, sour, tart, wet, dry, light, full… I’m all mixed up and I like it. I want to drink a lot more of this.

05-16-2006 21:02:17 | More by DaPeculierDane
tozerm

Washington

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Bottle #05-3192. I had the fortune of trying a Rodenbach not three weeks prior to trying this beer. The La Folie had all of the same characteristics that I associate with a Flanders Red Ale. This beer was more approachable and easier to drink than the Rodenbach. The color was outstanding! My bottle seemed to a have a minimal amount of carbonation; I didn't get any of the champagne bubbles that others have mentioned and virtually no head. This beer is a great sipper, tons of pie cherry flavors with hints of vanilla. I really think the acidity in this beer would go great with a BBQ pulled pork sandwich!

04-22-2006 14:33:08 | More by tozerm
CRJMellor

Arkansas

3.63/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours a light brown and copper colors with a wispy beige head which left traces of bubbly lace on the glass.
Aroma is a tart fruits and a hint of vanilla oak with some caramel underpinings.
Flavors of tart lemon dominate the front palate and soem creamy caramel hits the back. As it warms tartness more fully develops and the nutty, oak/vanilla notes kind of exacerbate the tart notes.
Mouthfeel is lip puckering tart with some softening as it glides over the tongue. A little bit one-dimensional with not enough developing and differing flavors to make that enjoyable.
Drinkability is above average and certainly a very well-crafted brew but the lack of any balance or quality other than the fruit tartness makes it a bit of a one shot wonder for me.

04-10-2006 18:58:17 | More by CRJMellor
ColoradoBobs

Colorado

2.9/5  rDev -31.9%

750ml champagne-style bottle, corked and caged. Opened with a LOUD POP!

Poured into flutes, minimal head that mostly fades. Color is a lovely red-amber. Bubbles like champagne.

Fascinating aroma. Is this beer? Sour cherries, malt vinegar, pineapple and slight hint of figs and dill (?) pickles.

Taste: VERY VERY sour. Complex sour. Sour cherries, watermelon candy, citric acid pucker-inducing. Fascinating: there's a hint of (?) salted figs or pickled beets. There is actually a salty edge to this. Gets better as it warms -- the other fruit notes come up: green apple, lemon juice, grapefruit. I think I poured it too cold to start.

Mouthfeel is nice and round, big for 6.0% beer. Though there is lots of carbonation, it's very soft in the mouth.

Drinkability is somewhat diminished for me, just because of the sourness. Goes down easy, however, despite the high carbonation.

This is a real mixed bag. Fascinating beer with a fascinating aroma. But I'm told that the overtly sour aspects are something of an acquired taste. However, at over 66 cents an ounce, I'm not sure I can afford to acquire this taste.

Actually -- and I really mean this -- it reminds me more of a very dry champagne than a beer. Next time I have this -- if there IS a next time -- I may serve it at about 55 degrees instead of 40 degrees.

04-05-2006 03:28:15 | More by ColoradoBobs
Shultzerdugen

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

750 ml bottle, caged and corked, hand numbered and dated.

Reddish brown in color, mostly clear with a tan head.

Dark cherries in the nose, followed by notes of rum, alcohol, and wood, plus a touch of barnyard.

Medium light bodied with a moderate carbonation. Berry and cherry flavors briefly show at the top, flowing into sweat, a metallic twang, spanish olives, and a very long sour lemon finish. Gueuze-like in its puckering sourness, funkiness, and complexity.

I have another bottle of this, and I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to age it or not. I'd hate for it to go to vinegar town, but I would like to see what happens down the road.

04-01-2006 19:46:00 | More by Shultzerdugen
audiojon

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

A stunning example of the Flanders Red style, perhaps the best I have had. Duchess de Bourgogne was my first intro to Flanders Red, but this is definitely more drinkable. The Duchess was a bit too much like grape soda to me, while this is immensely complex. After I had my La Folie, I ordered a Pliny the Younger, and was astounded to find that the La Folie had completely ruined my palate. I will be seeking out more of this ASAP as it seems everything else is now quite boring.

In a word, brilliant!

consumed at the liar's club, san diego, alongside a delicious swiss cheeseburger.

03-07-2006 05:57:00 | More by audiojon
Goldorak

Quebec (Canada)

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance: Brownish caramel, with just a thin head that tapered off quite quickly.

Smell: That great balsamic vinegar aroma was present, but with an extra spicy cinnamon in a Quelquechose kind of way, with a touch of musk and just enough alcohol to make me think I was smelling an old bottle of perfume I found in some dusty attic. Marvelous!

Taste: Good carbonation, the wood doesn't take center stage, it plays more of a backup role for the solid body and sour cherry flavors to glimmer in the spotlight. I don't know if it's the type of wood used for his barrels or just the aging process that wasn't as pronounced as most others (that would be my fist guess), but the brewer seems to have determined the perfect combination in order to get the smooth oaky flavors from the wood yet without sacrificing body and soul to get it, giving la Folie a more complex and satisfying taste as you'll ever find in Flanders Reds/Flemish sours.

03-05-2006 19:31:44 | More by Goldorak
bennetj17

Arizona

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Hand bottled #05-2244...

Color is a deep red and orange/copper. Only a pencil thin ring lines the glass as no head formed at all. Minute carbonation is visible. Clarity is nice. The smell strong and intriguing. Intense wine/grape and cherry scents, both tart and sweet, with a mild hint of spice. The taste is dominated at first by sharp sourness on the top of the tongue, which softens a bit toward the finish. Over time it sweetens some, but this is overall a very tart beer. Notes of wine, lemon, sour apple, and other sour fruit are present. Not very alcoholic, but finishes with a bit of a acidity. Mouthfeel is decent, slightly thin with a carbonation that could have had a little more fizz. You couldn't drink alot of this, but the strong unique flavors would be nice to catch up with from time to time...

02-28-2006 01:30:20 | More by bennetj17
amicar

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a nice looking 750mL. Like the subtle label and series number written on the side. Pours a red- tinged orange with a clingy whitish head. This thing even smells tart and acidic. First few sips were a bit too cold, which made it way to acidic, but as it warmed, it had a marvelous refreshing fruit- tinged tartness. A bit of cherry, a bit vanilla, with amouth- puckering feel. Could be a bit intense with too much at once, but marvelous to clear the palate with dinner. I'm glad I split it with a friend, as while delicious, not something I wanted gallons of. I get the sense that this will age marvelously- I probably need to get a few more to hide in the cellar.

02-27-2006 20:45:49 | More by amicar
EPICAC

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

This came in a 750 mL green corked champagne bottle. The label says "La Folie Wood Aged Beer" and has a picture of several barrels. The label also says "Hand Bottled" and had #05-2246 written in ball-point pen. I let it warm to approximately 50°F, and served it in my New Belgium snifters.

Appearance: Pours a hazy-orange red with large yeast clumps evident. A thick off-white head thins to continuous layer, with nice lacing.

Smell: A sour smell predominates. There are also sweet aromas, notes of cherry (like a lambic), and a mild phenolic smell.

Taste: The upfront sweetness is quickly ovepowered by a strong acidic tartness. There are lambic like cherry flavors. The finish is dry.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied with moderate carbonation. The dryness is mouth-filling.

Drinkability: La Folie is very tart and strong in flavors. This is a nice sipping beer, but not something to have pint after pint of.

Overall: A truly amazing beer.

02-23-2006 17:19:16 | More by EPICAC
mntlover

Tennessee

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

05-1907 Bottle, many thanks to mentor for this beer

Pours a redish/brown or hazy amber color or a mixture of both with a finger sized cream colored head that falls to a ring and laces well.

Aroma lightly sweet and sour at the same time fruity mostly cherries on a light malt base. Definate woody presence earthy and dry smelling also a light wine presence leeched out of the wood.

Taste is nice sour tart cherries, other fruity notes mingled with the cherry, dry oak flavors. A light wine presence again light and crisp nice peppy carbonaton. Only a light vinegar presence compared to other flanders but plenty of sour to go around. As it warms vanilla appears also.

Mouthfeel is light but feels bigger or the other way around maybe. Nice peppy carbonation true to style aides the flavors on this brew.

Drinkability is very good hard to believe an American version of this style is so good. A big thumbs up to New Belgium for this fine beer.

02-22-2006 12:02:48 | More by mntlover