Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Lips Of Faith - La Folie - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - La FolieLips Of Faith - La Folie

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2002

Flemish Sour Brown Ale fermented in stainless then transferred to barrels for 1-4 years of aging then blended to taste.
Reviews: 1,018 | Hads: 3,651
3.37/5  rDev -20%

Can't get in Illinois, but is available in Arkansas along with a lot of other New Belgium brews. Had to buy two bottles for about $16 a piece. Hand numbered on the bottle, #4 of 570.

Appearance- Pours an almost apple vinager amber. More like tree sap in color. I was tricked at first into thinking there was no carbonation, but upon closer inspection was proven wrong. Small light bubbling noticed in the amber sappiness of this "red" ale. Like head with no retention. This was expected.

Smell- A very pinot noir, chardonnay viney aroma with some hints of ambery sweetness in the back corridors of the nostrils. Plenty of cider notes as well.

Taste- I knew this beer would be tart as per the style. I have to try every beer even if most tart beers don't appeal to me. This tasted a little like tart cork. Not a lot of easily perceived sweetness. The brettanomyce is very evident in the overall profile. Lots of memories of Granny Smith apples along with more atrt and dry wine flavors. I did notice hints of bright red plums in the sporadic bursts as well.

Mouthfeel- Does get a little in the back of the palate, but there is a mostly acidic tongue. Little touches of vinegar. (1,191 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -12.1%

Ok, I've never had a Flanders Red so when they tapped this the other night at Falling Rock I had to try it.
A dark red/amber color with a small head given it was in a snifter.
Smell was fruity, cherry, raspberry, raisin and some citrus.
Taste was sssourrr. I didn't think I would be able to drink it, but as it starts sour it is also fruity (sour apples) and finishes kinda sweet. Leaves a nice aftertaste that persuades you to have another sip.
Kinda thin, though. Didn't really feel like a beer.
Semi-hard to drink overall. (532 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -8.1%

Honestly, I keep trying to love this beer. I really do. I'm a huge fan of Flemish sours, and I keep hoping (nay, praying) that someone in the US will be able to brew one to compete with giants like Rodenbach Grand Cru or Panil Barrique. They may, but La Folie is still not that beer.

Appearance: No shit, this thing is gorgeous. The huge bubbles bursting out of the white head that sits so lazily on top of the gorgeous amber liquid are primordial in size, and the beer itself just glows. I'm not super high on the hasty retreat that the primordial head beats from the top of the glass, but that seems like a minor criticism. I'm a little put off by the size of those bubbles, yo. They're freaking huge. You could drop some Junior Mints in those sumbitches...

Smell: Well, I'll be damned, but this smells damn fine. Sour, tart, and behind me at the moment because I've set it on the window sill. It's got that funky sour, oaken smell that I associate with the Flemish sours.

Taste: Dammit, once again La Folie fails me. I want something...more.I want some body and some balancing maltiness to go with a testicle clenching sourness. Now, understand, that I actually find these Flemish sours to be incredibly refreshing and irresistably drinkable. Dammit, if the style were a woman, I would name it Gwen. Or Dr. Zaius. Or Huey. Salma? But this beer is not Gwen, or Salma, and just barely qualifies as a Huey (the duck, not the senator nor the helicopter). And that damn, dirty ape Dr. Zaius is FAR funkier than this beer. It's tart and sour, yes. But nothing lingers. There is no persistence. I want dedication from my sours, and I simply don't get it from this beer. It gives up the ghost to quickly, and that makes me sad.

Mouthfeel: This is really the other problem for me. It's not robust enough. I expect a mouthfeel that has some weight behind it, and this thing is light like a macro lager. Honestly, I've had pilseners that have a better mouth presence than this beer. It's been a problem for me in the past, and continues to be so in the present. Kind of like my kung fu.

Drinkability: I may not love it, but I could easily drink the shit out of it. I don't think it's brilliant, I find it to be merely good. Now, let this merely good reviewer go polish of the rest of his 750, or he'll be cranky about wasting his $15.73. (2,344 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

Pours a gorgeous cloudy reddish orange hue with plentiful meringue like head. Aromas akin to sour cherry, a little citrus packed with heady smells of funk and horsehare apparent in the bacteria present. A strange "new plastic" like acetone aroma is detected giving it further complexity. Flavor is incredibly tart, nearing a gueze like sourness. Finishes with a slight sweetness packed with a bit of oak. This is one incredible beer that I wish I had a case of, and that it was more highly distributed. (502 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +17.3%

Appearance: 750 ml green glass bottle, corked and caged. Nice hazy red/brown body, but pours with no head. Somewhat confounding, but I am not worry, the cork was on very tight.

Smell: Wow, that is a pungent smelling beer, very sour and fruity. Overwhelming, but delicious, what I look for in the style, for sure.

Taste: Wow, lots going on here, the flavors shift and develop and end far from where they start. Big sour, dry flavors up, fairly acidic and in your face. The flavor then smoothes and turns into a funky-fruity experience in the aftertaste. What a glass of beer. I can't believe I get a whol 750 ml to myself. I am greedy like that, I guess. Versus the style, this is the best I've had.

Drinkability: I like it, very much so, everything seems to fit, and this was a great effort on the part of New Belgium. Thanks to BittBill for a bottle in a private trade. (879 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

I was very happy to find this while on vacation in CO. From reading a couple of other reviews it seems that I should have cellared it for a few years. But I wanted to share it with some friends so we enjoyed it last night. It has a very unique red/brown color with a head that dissapates quickly in a flurry of quick release bubbles. The aroma is sour with black cherry or other dark fruit; quite enjoyable. The flavor is sour with some malt sweetness but lots of dark fruit. The wood aging seems to come through with the dryness of this but not in the flavor which is fine as it would overcomplicate thes beauty. The mouthfeel is dry, light and quite puckering. This is one to share with some friends as drinking a 750 by one's self would be a bit much. Next time I'll pick up three bottles and cellar two of them. (815 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.1%

2004 Vintage.

Fantastic vinuos aroma with a hint of brett character. Underneath the wine character is sweet brown sugary and caramel malt. Other fermentation aromas include cherries and apple and very fruity esters. I also get hints of spice (cinnamon?) and candie orage peel. Other sniffs I get cotton candy and other sweet impressions. Really nice and complex. Halfway through I started to get vanilla from oak.

Deep amber, almost orange and very clear. Head is smallish, but there's a nice ring of foam around the edge of the glass and islands of fine foam throughout. Leaves a light dusting of lace.

Fist sip is pretty powerfully sour. Kind of lambic-like. If you're not ready for it, kind of shocking. I was expecting some tartness, but not quite so much. Now that I know, the second sip gives me great fruit quality like biting into a fresh sour cherry. Malt component lends just enough sweetness to keep this from being puckering. Light woody character with the same vanilla hints you might get from a good chardonnay. There's also a nice apple juice effect too. Like maybe a combo of lemonade and apple. There's light but perceptable hop bitterness but very little hop flavor. The malt and fermentation speak for themselves. On the back of the palate, there's a great buttery lactic/brett flavor. The added level of complexity is outstanding.

Medium bodied and very creamy on the palate. While sour, it is also light and refreshing. Carbonation level is light but very good for a 2 year old or so bottle.

Really an amazing thing to experience. This is one of those, "This is beer?" kind of things. There's so much that is wine-like and not beer but underneath is enough malt that it's unmistakeably beer. Must get more and lay it down longer than I held on to this one. I bet it would go way longer. (1,822 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

This was a great beer that I shared a few of among friends at a fire. it poured a great and smelled amazing. It smelled of apricott, oak, dried fruit, alcohol, and a little sweet. It tasted great and was amazingly complex in its flavors and aromas. This was an amazing beer that I will definatly be drinking for years to come. (326 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

750 ml caged and corked bottle # 05-2683 pours a cloudy reddish brown color with a small light brown head. Aromas of vinegar and fruit, mouth puckering sour, tart cherry and sour apple flavors. Medium bodied with perfect carbonation, La Folie is an amazing beer. (262 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -5.7%

750mL bottle, corked and caged, into a thin pilsner.

slightly hazy bright copper-orange with tons of rising bubbles. an inch and a half of foamy off-white head that retains well but leaves little lace.

sweet and sour cherries dominate the aroma. some sugary cider, sour apple, lemon sour, and a slight sharp bite of acidic vinegar.

feel is fairly light and refreshing with a biting carbonation. tartness dominates the flavor with a touch of funk. hints of fruity sweetness and an undertone of bready, cookie-like malt. finishes very dry and tart with another acidic bite of balsamic vinegar. very drinkable, and a very good beer. (638 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle #806, bottled 06-04: This one pours a hazy, slightly reddish amber color. There was a bit of a frothy off-white head on it, but it died off rather quickly. The aroma is excellent. Sour cherries prevail, with an oakiness to it also. The taste has a dryness to it. The oakiness is definitely there also, much like a good dry wine. There is a mellow taste of tart cherries. An excellent beer! (396 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +15.7%

One of my top 10 tasting experiences. Purchased from Lucas Liquors in Ellisville, Mo in early February 2006 @ $11 (one of best investments I have ever made!) their last bottle brought out from the cellar by one the the friendly staff who was discussing my new interests in Belgians and said "I might have something you would like to try".

The front lable with its - Bottled # - is now partly worn away from wear. I now have it pasted across the front of my beer tasting Journal. Hand bottled # 05-25-02. The recycled bottle now holds a homebrewed Belgian Dubbel not nearly so fine.

--- 500 ---

Cage and cork releases tart cherry/berry to the nose and deep crimson cherry red to the eye. Higher carbonation kicks up an impressive pink head that endures in my two New Belgium 0.4 L rastal sniffers.

A sublimely eniticing sourness balances with soft slightly sweet fruit aroma.

Acidic bite that I found awesome was softened by sweet berries more concrete in flavor than aroma. You don't expect this exceptional mouthfeel and full body to be accompied with such dry finish. Tanins from the wood acomplish this and more.

When you find one like this you rarely review it well - its enough to enjoy it.

I think I was suposed to meet up with this bottle. I have looked for it often but never found La Folie Wood since. Something I'll never forget.

500th Beer Advocate review. (1,397 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%

I was a bit hesitant of this one since my experience with sour beers in the past hasnt been too great. Was pleasently surprised though. Poured a nice dark reddish color with a decent head. The smell on this one had me salivating while my friend looked at me with a face that just said, Are you serious?. Smells of vinegar, some malty sweetness in there and a hint of cherries. Taste was amazing. Vinegar sour start, followed by a hint of cherries and a nice sweet oaky finish. This is a beer with alot goin on. As it warmed up the oakyness came out a bit more and the sourness either faded or I just got used to it, either way I absolutely loved what it had to offer. Mouthfeel was slightly acidic but very quenching. Drinkability was for me very high, I loved it, but this is not a beer for the weak hearted. A very intense enjoyable drinking experience, I only wish I could find this stuff locally bottled. (908 characters)

Thanks jpm30. A clear rlight reddish colour with lots of large bubbles in the head. Vinegar and malt aroma. Clearly sour taste that sweetens as you drink it. Vineous and slightly rich, wood only detactable before the taste buds are overpowered.. Great after salty fish. A slightly milder alternative to a Cantillon, overpowering the mouth but not for the entire day. (366 characters)

Ah La Folie. Here is my bias: I believe that hands down this is the most sophisticated and near-perfect beer made in the United States today. It pushes the envelope of the American craft brew scene and offers drinkers the best of the best of the best sir.

And it's free (and on tap) at the brewery!

A: Amber with a thin head that clings on for dear life. The head seems to know that it's not worthy of the beer it tops...

S: Lots of cherry, but the sourness literally jumps out of the glass. I've never really seen another beer that portrays it's mouthfeel in the bouquet!

T: A great balance of oak and cherry. Sourness dominantes the palate, bt there's a fruity sweetness to balance things out and a fine pepperiness in the aftertaste.

M and D: Wonderfully balanced. The match of sour and sweet creates a beer that is tremendously refreshing, tasty, and complicated. It's length gives it a medium body, but this only adds to the drinkability.

What a wonderful beer. If La Folie becomes the standard by which other brewers measure their beers, the American craft beer world will be in for a treat. (1,116 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -1.2%

---July 4th, 2006. 2006 vintage---
Thanks ColoradoBobs for letting me try this rare beauty.

I've had some Flanders Browns before, and I enjoyed them, so I was excited to try this prime example of a related style.

It is most definately tarter than the Browns. It also tastes a little less like something crawled into the bottle and died. That is both good and bad.

First Impressions . . . From the Fridge:
This beer is really quite refreshing, actually. In a lot of ways, it reminds me of Grolsch . . . a fairly neutral taste background with a tart, acetic ending.

As it warms:
Vanillin and other compounds from the wood make their presence known. The tartness continues to dominate and it slowly begins to take on a slight malt-vinegar aspect. I don't like malt-vinegar, but I do like this, which means that it is mostly lactobacillus doing the work rather than acetobacter. That's good, I was worried it would be a drainpour. The beer itself is a beautiful red-gold with just the faintest ring of head. Delicate and beautiful.

As it wams some more:
Still a dry beer, but some of the residual sugars are starting to show. Just a pinch to combat the extreme acidity. A little bit more funk starts to make its presence known, but nothing too extreme. Sour cherries, with some tangerine. It reminds me of the pruno my friends and I brewed in High School . . . but good. I don't know if that makes sense, but that's how I feel.

Second Glass:
Yeah . . . I'm beginning to understand why this beer is so sought after. After my relatively positive experience with some Guezes and Jolly Pumpkin, I think I'm going to have to more seriously investigate sour beers. I only wish it were hotter outside. This would be a perfect thirst-quencher. It feins complexity, while actually being a fairly straight-forward, delicious beer.

A pity it isn't more available.

Thanks again, ColoradoBobs. This is mighty tastey.

---October 17th, 2006. 2004 Vintage---

Ahhhh, but a little age on this beer and it becomes a whole different animal. My-oh-my. First off, much of the acidic character has mellowed, as the wood character. Instead what I have before me is a wonderful combination of these two flavours mixed with a large blast of sweet malt. It actually reminds me very much of Rodenbach Grand Cru at the moment, but more complex without adding an unpleasant funkiness nor an excessive sweetness. And no old cheese, like I'd expect from a Gueze (yes, different styles, but I've been drinking a fair amount of lambic lately and have come to think that 'old cheese' and 'sour beer' inherently go together).

Yeah, balanced. But balanced in the craziest way possible, with strong caramel malt (that's the flavour! Caramel!) expanding on the tongue . . . and then it starts to battle the sour cherries of the tart finish. Not really a 'clean' finish like I experienced with the 2006 vintage in July, but rather the sip that keeps on giving. Very mellow as well. My girlfriend was able to drink some of it and, after following my advice of a careful (and small) initial sip, was able to settle down and enjoy the beer with me.

So, my overall impression is that aging the beer mellows out the tartness, brings out the malt character while also dulling some of the harsher funk. Kumquat and caramel would be the best way to describe it.

Can't wait to experience the rest of the verticle! You're a hero ColoradoBobs.

---
2005 vintage, drank December 1st 2006
Not as good as the others. In the other years, there was always a hint of balsamic at the back, but this batch is like drinking vinegar. Really overpoweringly acetic, so much so that many of the other flavours are masked and it really does taste like a bottle of balsamic vinegar. A huge letdown.
I know that this beer has some variation from year to year, and the major difference I am noticing (aside from what I mentioned above) is that it is much, much sweeter. The 2004 had allowed its tartness to mellow which brought out more sweet, but the 2005 just seems plain sweeter. Like it was mashed at a higher temperature, or something.

Yeah, like a bottle of balsamic vinegar. Not quite a drain-pour, but definately not the sublime experience I have grown used to. Perhaps this beer goes through an awkward phase after aging for 1 year? If anyone tried this beer and didn't like it . . . was it the 2005 vintage? (4,406 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.6%

On tap at Concordia Ale House.
Served in a small tulip glass, reddish brown hue with a medium sized bubbley head.
Big notes of sour fruit (mainly apple and cherry), hints of vinegar, slight spice, and very sweet.
Nice big puckering sourness with many flavors. The sour fruitiness in the nose is more percievable as the beer warms and the more you drink it. Candy like sourness sort of like sweet tarts, with a faint hint of spice at the tail end of it, sort of like the spicey note in a cider. There is a nice malty back bone that holds the puckering sourness and the fruity/spicey flavors together. Very slight hints of an oakey taste was also percievable.
Nice carbonation, not too heavy.
Pretty drinkable in my opinion for the style. I had 2 and probably would have had another if I wasn't pushed for time. (816 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +3.8%

Hand Bottled #05-2388

Upon opening the bottle, La Folie gave my kitchen a professional, world-class money shot. I spent the next 10 minutes cleaning my damned walls so as not to have a vinegar stink wafting through my apartment in the morning.

Pours into my New Belgium globe a hazy, almost cloudy, brick red to light brown color with a rather thin head. As it wafts pass the nose, the aroma of vinegar becomes known (or is it the smell of my walls?). As I really get my nose in there, there comes to the fore a very acidic and and musty lambic qualities along with some tart cherries. Along with that are hints of oak, toasted malt, and the faintest of fruit juice. Incredibly deep nose. Taste is extremely sour. Not nearly as much of a vinegar in the flavors as in the aromas. Tart cherry flavors along with sour candy acidity. Other fruits are in there as well, but it's difficult to discern. Mouthfeel is slightly biting and bone dry. A lot going on here and an excellent drinker.

Thanks to jpm30 for the trade. (1,025 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +6.7%

On-tap at Concordia Ale House, Portland:
Tried as a sample pour on Sunday, back for a glass on Monday.

A: A beautiful red/brown without much head.

S: Sour with mild fruit/berry. Some vinegar but not overpowering. Complex tartness.

T: Quite sour but tart also, too. Rich raspberry flavor. Crisp, too.

M: Dry finish. Clean finish, surprisingly "refreshing", like lemonade on a hot summer day...

D: Not for everyone due to sourness (my wife hated it), but I enjoyed it immensely. Will definitely order again when I see it. (535 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.6%

This is easily the best Flemish Red I've tried. Thanks to jpm30 for the trade. I've been wary about drinking the 750 since I have a love/hate relationship with sour beers, but I had a tasting with some friends who are really into them.

The beer pours to a nice ruby color with a brownish hue, fairly clear until the dregs are poured. Very little head, though it settles out to a small collar that stays the whole way through the drink. Light carbonation.

The smell has a great raspberry tart aroma. Not too vinegary at all, nor is it too sweet. Very oaky as well. The flavor is just as good. Just the perfect blend between raspberry tart, sweet, and dry. Awesome stuff. Quite puckery. Lasting oak tannins in the finish. Only a slight hint of barnyard funk.

Has a medium body with a carbonation that seems to tickle the tongue for long into the finish. The aftertaste lingers well beyond the finish.

I would definitely drink this again. Like I said, the best Flemish Red I've had. Not quite as smooth as Panil, but more in your face. Great oak flavor. (1,062 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured from caged and corked 750ml bottle(room temp) an amber gold with a medium sized head of foam that dissipated slowly leaving a fine layer on the beer and the glass. Nice lacing.

The smell is a strong sour smell with yeasty notes. There's no mistaking that nose....

The taste is a very fruity sour, with a touch of yeatiness and some malty tones in the finish, that just grabs your palate and yells out loud..."here I am!" This is the only example of a Flanders Red Ale I've been able to try and it is just so damn good... a world class product in appearance, flavour, mouthfeel & drinkability!

Bottom line: Here is one of my favourite brews of *any* style out there. I can NOT recommend it enough! (712 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Had an opportunity to try this beer out. It has a beautiful copper, reddish hue to it. Very nice. It smells a little like vinegar when you first smell it. And it is extremely sour. I'm not talking lambic sour, try increasing that by about ten. Very intense sour flavor, almost like drinking a sour patch kid. It's difficult to discern flavors with this beer because of the sourness. There is a vinegar taste to it but there is also a pepper spiciness to it as well. I did taste a little pineapple towards the end of it and it certainly has a nice mouthfeel.

It's an interesting beer, but it's not for me. Certainly an aquired taste. (636 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured into a tulip at Toronado in San Francisco. Wow, to say that I am impressed is an understatement. I am completely floored. To think that this was produced in Colorado of all places? I would never have dream this beer to come from anywhere but Flanders. I am so happy with this beer that I find it difficult to put it into words. If I could, I would drink this every day.

Appearance is brilliant. Utterly transparent rose amber body with red copper hues. Assertive carbonation with an ultra long lived pink head. Nose is acidic, containing oak, melon, and sour apples. Taste is tart funk, a blend of rotten cherries, moldy apricot, green apple skins, and Roquefort blue cheese. Mouthfeel is a bit chalky but otherwise difficult to put a handle on. There are so many conflicting sensations going on. Sweet, sour, tart, wet, dry, light, full… I’m all mixed up and I like it. I want to drink a lot more of this. (918 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

Bottle #05-3192. I had the fortune of trying a Rodenbach not three weeks prior to trying this beer. The La Folie had all of the same characteristics that I associate with a Flanders Red Ale. This beer was more approachable and easier to drink than the Rodenbach. The color was outstanding! My bottle seemed to a have a minimal amount of carbonation; I didn't get any of the champagne bubbles that others have mentioned and virtually no head. This beer is a great sipper, tons of pie cherry flavors with hints of vanilla. I really think the acidity in this beer would go great with a BBQ pulled pork sandwich! (608 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a light brown and copper colors with a wispy beige head which left traces of bubbly lace on the glass.
Aroma is a tart fruits and a hint of vanilla oak with some caramel underpinings.
Flavors of tart lemon dominate the front palate and soem creamy caramel hits the back. As it warms tartness more fully develops and the nutty, oak/vanilla notes kind of exacerbate the tart notes.
Mouthfeel is lip puckering tart with some softening as it glides over the tongue. A little bit one-dimensional with not enough developing and differing flavors to make that enjoyable.
Drinkability is above average and certainly a very well-crafted brew but the lack of any balance or quality other than the fruit tartness makes it a bit of a one shot wonder for me. (755 characters)

Lips Of Faith - La Folie from New Belgium Brewing