A.J. Winter Ale | New Belgium Brewing

Awaiting 10 Reviews

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States | website

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Availability: Fall

Added by Crosling on 12-05-2004

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 2
4.25/5  rDev n/a

Special thanks to my friend Glenn (actually, his daughter!) for procuring this beer directly from the brewery, fresh in a growler and hand-delivered. Bravo.

I love a good winter warmer. This beer definitely falls into that category. Apparently, this beer was named after a local legend who would deliver the mail on skis. Pretty awesome.

I don't exactly know if there is fruit and spices and all of that in this beer, but it definitely had the aroma of it. The beer was a classic deep brown color; although I must admit the lighting at the bar I had it in was very dim and not conducive for assessing the color of beer.

The beer was full-bodied with a lingering spiciness that tasted like a unique Belgian yeast strain. Winter "warmer" was an appropriate term, simply because I felt the warming effect of the alcohol. A fine brew, I must say.

I will seek this one out the next time I'm at the New Belgium Brewery (like every year during the GABF!)

2.96/5  rDev n/a

Draught @ the brewery. Copper. Strong spices (coriander, curacao, cinnamon) just from the aroma as well as a touch of old, dried hop pellets and caramel. Spices continue on as this is a highly spiced beer. My guesses from the aroma seem to be correct. Fruits, toffee and caramel are evident. A nice beer to try.

A.J. Winter Ale from New Belgium Brewing
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.