Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Le TerroirLips Of Faith - Le Terroir

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-23-2005

A sour beer barrel-aged for two years and then dry-hopped with Amarillo and Cascade hops for 8 days.
Reviews: 447 | Hads: 2,123

What a beer! If you like sours but do not want to be overwhelmed with tartness this is your baby! Probably my single favorite hands down New Belgium beer ever produced. Luckily my local brewery taps this the past couple years. Not much I can say other than you just gotta try it. Some folks are not fans and this seems to be a love it or hate it kinda brew. Barring some of the Trappist sour offerings in Belgium this is one of the best to come out of the New World!

Lots of fruit on the nose this year (pineapple, mango, guava melon sweetness, good funkiness, earthy and my god juicy!)
Very well balance of fruit to earthy funk to overall fruit quenching juiciness , this beer gets better every year!
I think the dry hop addition of Amarillo gives it some of the peachy mango like aromas but yet the slightly grassy/spicy quality of the hop?
Overall I am a huge fan of this beer it might be my favorite sour beer, incredibly refreshing and ever sip leaves you wanting more.
5/5 le terrior

Best sour ever. This beer is perfect every year and very consistent. I look forward to drinking this fresh to taste the dry-hopping goodness. The dry hopping allows it to smell like a tropical fruity IPA but with a sour, citrusy taste. It's so unique and amazing.

I can't say enough good things about this beer. Worth every penny.

Bought this beer twice. $16.99 bottle, little bit of more money on this one, but well worth it. Very sour! Best sour ale as I tested so far. I actually have bought two bottles and they both were a treat. Weird taste, but after the taste you just want more and more and more!!!!

Served in a 22 oz. bomber.
2013 edition

Appearance: yellowish orange, crystal clear, perfect.

Smell: Sweetness from the malt, hops, oak, lactic sourness. Everything you want, nothing more nothing less. All the aromas make an appearance at every stage of the experience. Amazing.

Taste: Everything you smell you taste and more. I thought at one point I had opened a bottle of sparkling apple juice. Might as well be apple sparkling wine.

Mouthfeel: Light, astringent, bubbly. Again perfect.

Overall: I want more. It's an amazing beer. The 96 point rating is a tad bit low in my opinion, I can't find anything wrong with it. I'm not the most experienced sour beer drinker, but I've had Cantillon , Drie Fonteinen, Cascade and Russian River offerings and I wouldn't hesitate to put this up against any of them. Thank you New Belgium. What a truly fantastic beer.

Awesome f*%king beer right here...

Im so blown away by the ability to bring me a beer that is very close to La Folie and give it this hop kick at the end that complements rather than overpowers...

This is a sour, first and foremost, and it doesn't hide it... not bracingly sour but rather tart with a nice kick of green apple without the vinegar notes usually present... the finish is masterful with this wave of juicy fruity hops that peek out just for a second and then the beer dries out on the palate... sip after sip, this one is on point...

Had lots of beers thus far, more than many, less than some.... this offering rocked my world and makes me glad I have several more bottles...

My scores don't lie... for some, this one ain't perfect and that's ok... for me? Its exactly what I want in a sour... nice bracing tartness without all the vinegary overkill with a drinkability that wont f'ing quit...

This is a bad mama jama right here...

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

Sampled on tap at Monk's Cafe for their New Belgium dinner. What treat this was after waiting to try it for so long. The beer poured a very hazy golden color with an off white head. The nose was a bit hot, maybe high abv but I don't believe the beer has a high abv. There was also a tart barny nose to this as well. The taste is hard to describe. A nice sharp, tart taste with some banana esters and citrus. Very very nice. For lack of a better work, I would compare this to RR Beatification which I happen to love. Although I also love La Folie, I would have to say this was my favorite NB beer of the night.

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours a cloudy golden honey with a dense white merengue head.

Colder the temperature aroma is muted. Warming up pronounces, though mild, resinous hop and sourness of green apples.

Sour hop bitterness. Like fresh sliced peaches in soda water with fresh squeezed lemon deliciosity. Same could be said about the rich mango flavor which is probably coming from the oak barrel aging. Got that IPA thang going on with a citrusy hop profile. Wonderful complexity. Me mouth is happy!

Light to medium body with supple carbonation. The sour aspect really makes my mouth water wanting more.

The world of sours just got a bit more interesting for me. Finely crafted and well-balanced. I just love this freaking stuff!

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours a translucent orange without much head.

Nose has plenty of funky acidic qualities with some apricot notes.

The PH must have dropped down quite low with this tart wild ale. No outstanding phenols. Well balanced with tangerine, apricot and spicy characters. Sour and lingering funk but this all very well balanced. Finishes very dry with some overripe peach.

Just a delicious wild ale from beginning to end. One bomber isn't enough.

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

Received in a trade, poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a crystal clear light gold orange hue with a big, big almost three finger fluffy white creamy head that leaves enormous side lacing and a very dense, thick blanket. Wonderful.

S - Woah, what is this aroma?! Very sour, some vinegar, definite tropical. Theres something else though. Maybe some peach, but not sure if the hops + barrel is making this aroma but its got a faint "I've smelled something like the before but have no clue what or where to begin". Its incredibly enjoyable and mysterious for me. Its really almost like a sweet and sour sauce...

T - WOAH is this tart, suddenly it just slams with sour. No vinegar, getting lots of sour peach, tropical, faint wine barrel, and more of that sweet and sour type flavor. The finish though, so distinctly armarillo. Its got a sour patch kid gummy flavour somewhere in the middle. Powedered sweet tarts and smarties. The hop finish is really cool with this. This flavour profile is intense. Worth noting again, sweet and sour sauce!

M - Mouthfeel is delicious nice and sour and tart with some light carbonation. The alcohol isnt noticeable at all. Wonderful.

O - Overall this beer exceeded all expectations. Cant believe it took this long to try it. Its unreal what west coast hops did to this sour, just unreal.

4.89/5  rDev +14.5%

22 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass

appearance -- gold with hints of copper, and a large foamy head that stayed that way for awhile

smell -- fantastic! Pineapple, hints of toasted pine scents and little bits of mango in there too, and even in the smell the sourness can be detected

taste -- more complex than the smell but similar. Pineapple is again what seems to be predominant along with a mildly acrid pine taste, and mangoes and even peaches. The sourness is really strong though, almost like a sour candy and makes just taking a few sips tough, since you keep wanting more.

mouthfeel -- light to medium, but heavy carbonation

overall -- Great sour, probably the best of the lips of faith sours, and something i plan on getting often

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Le Terroir 2013
A - hazy orange with spritzy looking bubbles topped with a thin lasting head that leaves fine lacing behind.
S - orange, mango, tart fruity aromas, with the amarillo hops just popping right out.
T - fantastic stuff. Just enough sweet tart to slightly overpower the bitter and compliment the fruity hops. It is a sharp sour like lemons.
M - light bodied with fizzy carbonation that just lifts the aromas throughout your mouth. The tart lingers in the aftertaste in an extremely pleasant way.
O - I wish I bought more than one bottle. This goes down easy and quite enjoyably.

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Perfect carbonation, super yummy, can't get enough. The best sour I've ever had!

Poured out of a 22 oz. bomber into a 20 oz. goblet, drank the rest out of the bottle and it was awesome. I will definitely buy this one over and over again while supplies last.

4.84/5  rDev +13.3%

Wow, really amused by some of the recent reviews. Makes me wonder if we're drinking the same beer!

Pours a hazy golden/amber color with mild white head.

Nose is intense. It's this bizarre medley of typical sour funk, combined with juicy tropical fruit hops -- the hops definitely make a big appearance in the nose.

The nose was wonderful, but the taste brings it to a whole 'nother level. This is smack-you-in-the-mouth intense. Sourness is brutal, and the intensity is ratcheted up because of the dry-hopping. Take the intensity of a dry-hopped IPA and combine it with a mouth-watering sour, and that's what you got here. Loads of tropical fruitiness - citrus, tangerine, etc. Freaking phenomenal. It's really a tremendous interaction here - the sourness and tropical fruitiness play off of eachother and make one of the most epic tastes I've encountered yet in craft beer.

Mouthfeel is about what you would expect. No problems. Appropriate carbonation, etc.

La Terroir has instantly become one of my favorite sours. It sparked by interest, so I tried a La Folie a couple days later (I'd had one sitting in the fridge for ages, but never tried it). Let me tell you - La Terroir blows La Folie away. La Folie was such a disappointment for me after trying La Terroir. That's not a knock on La Folie - that's merely high praise for La Terroir.

Awesome, awesome sour. Might be my favorite American sour to date. Hell, might just be my favorite sour period. I managed to track down a store with more on the shelves and I stocked up. But considering the dry-hopping, I'm not sure if I should drink it all now or save it so that I can enjoy this goodness until the next release.

My advice: Ignore the bad reviews and give it a try. This is a fantastic sour, and it may just be an acquired taste for some.

4.84/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured into a New Belgium globe.

A- Clear, beautiful golden orange. Minimal head. Minimal lacing.

S- Acidic sourness. Lots of citrus...lemon, orange. I think a good bit of this is from the dry hopping, but it blends seamlessly into the sour notes. Maybe a bit of malty bread, but just a touch. The sourness makes the mouth water. This is a fantastic smelling beer.

T- An initial sourness that makes the tip of the tongue tingle, and washes over the palate. Lemon and orange citrus in the middle. Finishes with a sour and dry end. There was more of a hop bite in the end when this was fresher, which I preferred, but it is still there, just tamed a bit. Alcohol is hidden beneath the massive sour/citrus flavors. This a not an introductory sour for the uninitiated.

M- Light and unbelievably easy to drink considering the sourness of it.

O- This is a fantastic beer, and my favorite New Belgium offering to date. I prefer it to both La Folie and Eric's Ale, which would be 2 and 3 in some order of NB offerings that I've had. Funny how a brewery that seems to be known as the 'Fat Tire guys' puts out such amazing sours (albeit with a few missess....*cough Vrieinden cough*). I don't know if there are plans to brew/bottle this in the future, but it'd be a damn shame if there weren't.

4.84/5  rDev +13.3%

Wow! I am new to Le Terroir so I didn't know to buy more than two. Oh well - I am happy to not be missing out and I'll know next year to grab an armful!

A: Bright golden orange with off-white head that dissipates to lacing.

S: Ooh! I knew it was dry hopped so I expected more hops than the average sour, but I didn't expect this wonderful fruit bowl of orange, passion fruit, pineapple and apricot. Some floral too. The tart, lactic sourness flows below these fruits creating a surprisingly complimentary mix.

T: Good God. More perfect meshing of a sour base that I dare say reminds me of a Cantillon gueuze - big oak and dry acidity, great fruitiness - with just awesome hops additions that are bright and fresh and offer little to no drawbacks. If there's any woodiness in the hops it's meshing in perfectly with the oaked base, and the bitterness they are creating blends with the sour base to create a tonic-like dry finish.

M: Good carbonation which contributes to the tonic quality, the body evaporates off the tonque quickly but the flavour is longer lasting.

O: I'm blown away, I did not realize I would enjoy this so much. It's like a really excellent sour beer and a really excellent IPA all in one, and the two halves combine to produce a beer greater than the sum of its parts!

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: pale with quick lived head
S: tart stone fruit, mandarin orange, tangerine, citrus, some funk and hint of medicinal phenols
T: puckeringly tart, definite mandarin orange and tangerine, fairly light body
O: best integration of hops into a sour beer I have tried to date, far more delicately integrated than hop savant and brighter and more refreshing than Femme Fatale Blanc

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

Had during my recent trip to Denver to see my best friend. Great way to start the trip. Went straight from the airport to Falling Rock Taphouse for a few beers before dinner and when we walked in there was a poster announcing a special tapping of Le Terroir. Had to wait about 30 mins for the tapping which was agonizing as I've wanted to try this for years. The bar was kinda dark and the lightning not ideal so kinda hard to nail the color. It appeared to be an apple ciderish color with an orange tint. It was served in a wine glass and had a small head that settled into a thin film with some lacing. The smell was exceptional. It had an amazing sour smell that makes your mouth water. I've tried several Flanders Red Ales in the past year including it's cousin La Folie and this had the best aroma of them all. The mouthfeel was strong with a great sour aftertaste - not too strong, well balanced. The taste was also amazing. I found La Folie to be a bit on the too sour side (not bad but too sour to be a 5). This with the hopping stayed on the not too sour side. It had a great aftertaste and goes down smoooth. Ended up having a couple before we had to head out. Wish they would bottle this. If they did, I'd have one in my fridge constantly. (4.5, HR, T, Y)

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

This was poured into a pint glass.

I was able to find a couple of bottles in a shop that I don't frequent.

The appearance was golden with a white head.

The smell was citrus and grass with notes of vinegar creeping in. The hops were only peeking through in places, but the amarillo was definitely present.

The taste was lemon and amarillo hops up front followed by a great ascetic acid profile that ended with notes of blood orange and more lemon zest. The tartness and sourness in this beer are great. This beer tastes heavenly to me.

The mouthfeel was crisp and refreshing.

Overall, this is one of my favorite beers. The complexity, balance, price point, and availability make this beer tops.

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

A celebratory beer from my cellar. And it doesn't disappoint. Had this before, but just now getting to reviewing. 2011 bottling.

A - Wonderful light copper and orange colored body. Head was about a finger, slightly orange and tan in color. Some minimal lacing.

S - Sweeter than the flavor. Lemon, honey, and slight floral. Very fresh and spring like even though it has been sitting for months in a deep dark place. Also some grapefruit coming through.

T - Just great. It's got a great sour. Lemon, lime, and orange. A little funk on the backend, just the right amount, the terroir. A small amount of sweet malt comes through with the funk to even things at the right moment. It's so well balanced (fairly sour, but the way I like it) and hits it on the nose as to what a wild ale should be.

M - Wonderful here. Strong carbonation and medium body. Drying in the mouth with some pucker in the back of your throat.

O - Just what I am looking for in a sour/wild. The right amount of sour balanced with very slight malts and funk on the backend. I can't get enough, and luckily I have a bunch more to last me until this comes out again.

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

Created by a former employee of Rodenbach.
On tap at the NB brewery.

When asked how this was different from La Folie, I was told it had been dry-hopped and unlike La Folie, which is described as a sour brown, La Terroir has a lighter malt base.

a: Hazy gold/orange body with an off-white head. Excellent retention.

s: Sour aroma with notes of apple cider vinegar.

t: Sweet tart flavor, oak, sour green apples, with a big bite of hops and sourness in the finish.

m: Tart and acidic with medium carbonation.

d: Very drinkable, excellent tartness. Like La Folie, but lighter malt and with a more pronounced hop profile. An excellent beer, wish they bottled it. I could drink this all night long.

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours a pleasant yellow/hazy color. Quite good looking. Decent sized head followed by a small amount of lacing. The smell has a surprisingly strong floral hop aroma along with some lemon/funk and citrus notes.

The taste! Oh man, this is a delicious beer. Very acidic, similar to la folie, but not nearly as puckering. Strong lemon presence...like sucking on a lemon. :/ Very dry finish and extremely easy to drink. As it warms up, the hops become more apparent and the ac idity is a bit more muted. This is a wonderful beer, and a really good value for this style. I will be buying this regularly.

4.79/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was a perfect sour, very complex, and right to the point. You get so many different flavor profiles from this. You get lemon, Granny Smith Apple, just a bitter/sour fruit bomb. The dry hopping of this beer works perfectly, and the low malt profile balances this beer out.

4.79/5  rDev +12.2%

Hazy amber pour producing a couple of fingers of white head that recedes to form a lasting ring. Body is fairly light and sprightly for a sour. Aroma and flavor are complex with peach, mango, pineapple, lemon, cedar shavings, sour cherry, vinegar, horse blanket/barnyard funk, anda bit of allspice, The judicious use of Amarillos for dry hopping was ingenious, as the fruitiness imparted by the hops segues seamlessly into the funkiness contributed by the brett.. This one is not quite as sour as La Folie, but has a more intriguing balance and flavor profile, and it has a better drinkability. Buy at least few, (it’s considerably cheaper than the Folie) if you can find them.

4.79/5  rDev +12.2%

Orangish brew with a fizzy white head. Hops come out immediately, champagne-covered oranges and grapefruit oils in the nose, this is smack-dab in IPA territory. Some sour notes, but more winey than most sours. Taste is outstanding, this is basically a sour IPA. Lots of bitter hops going head-to-head with mouth-puckering vinegar and sour notes. One of the most intriguing and innovative brews I have ever had. Hats off to New Belgium.

Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir from New Belgium Brewing