Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-23-2005

A sour beer barrel-aged for two years and then dry-hopped with Amarillo and Cascade hops for 8 days.

1.24/5  rDev -71.2%

1.5/5  rDev -65.1%

1.55/5  rDev -64%

2.03/5  rDev -52.8%

Split with mjyoung, poured into a snifter.

A - Clear orange amber color with white colored head that eventually disappears with little to no lacing.

S - Incredibly strong tart aroma with detectable grassy hops. Grapefruit, lemon and mango come through as well.

T - Not too sour, but tasted quite awful to me. I did not find any hops in it, mostly the vinegar and lemon sourness coming through. Medicine and vomit-like going down.

M - Low carbonation. Medium to full bodied.

D - Quite difficult to finish my glass. I have had great sours before and to me this is borderline undrinkable. The initial taste is fine, the second it goes down your throat, the terrible flavors come out.

2.25/5  rDev -47.7%

2.25/5  rDev -47.7%

2.51/5  rDev -41.6%

2.6/5  rDev -39.5%

2.67/5  rDev -37.9%

It appears hazy orange.

It smells really weird. There is an odd peppery spicy flavor. There is also a weird sulfuric smell. It almost smells like vomit.

It actually tastes pretty good. it is slightly sour. I get a bit of a fruity and peppery flavor. The beer is sour but it is not overly sour. It is a pretty smooth beer.

It has a crisp mouthfeel with ample carbonation.

Overall it smells nasty but it tastes pretty good though it is nowhere close to being one of the best sour ales I have had.

2.74/5  rDev -36.3%

Very excited to get a shot at this one. With all the glowing reviews I have high hopes. Split into globe glasses.

A: Golden orange amber. Two fingers of dirty white head. Modest lace.

S: WTF! Sweet and sour chicken? We joked about smelling Chinese food in this but it's a sad reality. Full on hop blast. Moderate lactic sour but the hops just drown it out.

T: The flavor isn't much better. Weak all the way around. Mild sour bite along with loads of citrus hops. Sour hops is pretty much all I get. Very strange.

M: Medium body with mild carbonation.

O: I have no idea where all those high scores came from. This stuff is nowhere near a solid wild ale. I had high hopes. Sadly my hopes were dashed.

2.75/5  rDev -36%

2.75/5  rDev -36%

2.82/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Little too sour for me.

2.88/5  rDev -33%

A: Golden, orange, not much carbonation. Small amount of head and lacing.

S: Vinegar, apples, hops, and vinegar.

T: Wow - very sour and very vinegary. Borderline too sour. Some lemon, hops and other citrus in the background, but I can't get passed the vinegar.

M: Medium body, acidic.

O: Was excited to try this and was disappointed. Too sour and too much vinegar for me.

2.9/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer tastes like pineapples and hops with a dry finish. Not my favorite beer....just OK.

Beer is yellow and hazy with almost no head, served in a snifter, carbonation low.

Aroma is strong, mildly sour, smells a lot like hops, mostly fruity / pineapple hops.

The beer presents rather sweet with a strong strong fruit character so much so that it is like drinking pineapple juice with a really dry finish. The bitterness at the back is decent. Eh, not a repeat for me.

2.94/5  rDev -31.6%

2013 bottle

A-Poured into a pint glass I get a thin finger of white head that recedes to a thin skimming. Slightly hazy with a dark golden color with some burnt orange hues.

S-The hops hit me first with aromas of ripe citrus (passion fruit and orange) and grass. There is a subdued aroma of funk and sourness (white wine) with some oak.

T-Taste is more sour than the aroma. Hits you upfront and lingers into the finish. The aftertaste is first sour than bitter. The nice hop aroma is overpowered with the sour and the funk. Some fruitiness here but it is quickly overtaken with the sour and some bitterness.

M-Tingly carbonation with a light body. No detection of alcohol. Very dry finish.

O-This is a damn sour brew. Not a lot of funkiness and the nice aroma doesn't follow thru into the taste. An interesting brew but too much sourness and I don't care for the bitter finish.

2.99/5  rDev -30.5%

Pours a hazy yellow/orange with a small head and some visible carbonation.

Smell is not what I would expect at all. Doesn't have the sour smell like a lot of Flanders Reds....kinda smells like an IPA gone awry to me. Sort of makes me cringe before I even try this. (I picked up a bottle because it was relatively inexpensive, and I <3 sour ales.)

Taste was better than I thought after smelling. Definitely a little bit of sourness, but the beer is WAY too busy. Sure, you taste a sourness, but you also get a weird blend of hops and fruits. I just think there's too much going on at once.

Mouthfeel is smooth, minimal feel of the carbonation. Nice.

Overall, not bad, but not very good either. The schizophrenic taste is a big detractor, but if you want something kinda sour, this is a relatively cheap choice.

Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir from New Belgium Brewing