Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir | New Belgium Brewing

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review

Lips Of Faith - Le TerroirLips Of Faith - Le Terroir

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American Wild Ale

A sour beer barrel-aged for two years and then dry-hopped with Amarillo and Cascade hops for 8 days.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-23-2005

Reviews: 473 | Ratings: 2,273
4.4/5  rDev +3%

I've indulged this on tap a couple of times, once at Steingarten LA, the other at Library Alehouse. Delicious. This review will pertain to bottle.

Into a tulip, pours a white frothy head atop a dark golden body, exhibiting tinges of amber. Thicks legs as I tilt, lots of foamy lacing down the side.

Aromas of peach, citrus, and mild Brett funk, the latter just enough to create an edginess to the bouquet. Intense, and wonderfully complex.

Incredibly tart flavors including peaches (and cream), apricot, mild funk, with a nice crispness on the finish. Complex and smooth, though as it warms a tad bit of vinegar does begin manifesting, reminding me greatly of Rodenbach.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, with a rich fullness I speculate is based from the hops.

Overall, among the best sours I've consumed. Highly drinkable, very smooth, fruity, tart, well-balanced, with the citrus dovetailing perfectly with the dried-hops. For all that, however, I could probably only consume two per sitting, as the combination of hops and funk appears to knock the taste buds out cold. Who would've thunk it?

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Fountainhead.

A - I have no idea what color the brew is, Fountainhead is dark. In this lighting, it looks good, sorta like an IPA served in a Trappist goblet, replete with frothy head and lace.

S - The nose is quite hoppy (for the style), and I can definitely pick up on the citric-tropical notes imparted by Amarillo, and especially and overripe peachy note. As it airs out, I get more musty-earthy acetic notes than I do fruit.

T - The flavor is exactly like it hypothetically would be, in my mind: a tart-fruity sour beer with bright notes of medicinal pinapple-y brett fusing with bitter tangerine peel, overripe peach and sticky-sappy mango. As I get deeper in the glass, I pick up on apple skins, lemon pith and tannic oak.

M - Nice carbonation and body; it feels as much like an IPA as it does a Champagne-like Sour.

O - Very nice; this is one of the best Lips of Faith brews, if not the best, that I've had.

4.39/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A thanks goes to fsvan for recommending this as I probably wouldn't have purchased otherwise.

A: Light orange in color, slightly hazy. Had a nice soapy head to begin with, but quickly faded. Pretty much no cap or lacing left behind.

S: Smells sour, but balanced by the sweet dry hopped smells. Peach, funk, citrus. I've not had many sours/wilds so it's hard for me to really put this into words, but I like it.

T: Pretty sour, at least for me. It doesn't quite make me pucker, but my eyes squint a little. There's a spicey sweet quality to this that I want to say is cinnamon, but that doesn't seem quite right..like sour red hots maybe.

I like the taste a lot, but it's hard for me to articulate what I'm tasting. A previous reviewer mentioned a salt water like taste that I would have to second. There's certainly a pineapple quality to this as well...juicy.

M: Sour, sticky and dry.

O: Hard to say this is very drinkable because of the tartness, but it's damn tasty. I wish I had purchased a couple more of these before they sold out everywhere. This is a really nice beer and welcome in what is otherwise a sour/wild poor market(Nashville).

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

Taken from notes on 3.11.11

A - pours a bright hazy orange with a bright cream colored head.

S - Smells of old citrus fruit.

T - Sour oranges, cherries, and grapefruit.

D - Starts sour, but smoothes out nicely.

O - This one left me longing for more.

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

bottled on: unk

A: Pours a light golden ale with near excellent clarity. A single finger of fine off-white head falls over a couple minutes to a centrally capped sheet of the same with a collar of central depth. Scattered cobweb lacing.

S: Brett dominates the initial draw. Then subtle tones of the dry hop come out: tropical fruits, citrus fruits. I cannot press how subtle this is - a mere thread. Mostly sour ale with hints of hay, earthy clays. Decent.

T: Ha! Quite tart, love that! Nice citrusy, lemony, sharp sour tones hit me in the forefront. Just what I was hoping for. Now let's see what else is in there.... Okay, a bit of a salt-water flavor underlying, a bit of grain and some sweetness, but nothing in comparison to the sourness. I really dont give a shit about the hops in this, the beer tastes great.

M: Thin body and medium to hi carbonation. Good, dry and mouth-watering finish.

O: This beer exceeded my already slightly inflated expectations. Good beer. Glad I have three more to sit on. Yum!

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Standard pint glass.

A: Hazy orange-copper color complete with a one-finger off-white head.

S: Citrus aromas and tropical fruit hops.

T: Tastes very similar to how it smells. But the tropical smell is now the refreshing taste of mango. Slightly tart

M: Very good.

D: Want more, please.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

On-tap at Leon’s Full Service in Atlanta.

Pours a slightly hazy orange-copper color with a one-finger slightly off-white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of medium malts with large amounts of tart citrus aromas. Also present are slight amounts of tropical fruit hops and slighter amounts of funk.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Medium to light malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by moderately tart fruits – berries and pears if I had to choose, although it’s not terribly close to either one. Joining in midway through the sip are bright citrus hops that fade out into a moderately tart ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It’s got a nice thickness with solid carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass very quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I had to have this beer again after being a big fan of it from the bottle, and it didn’t disappoint. The slight age does temper the the hops a bit, I'd be interested to see how this tastes in a year or two, although I can't imagine it getting better. Well worth a shot however you find it.

Poured into a pint glass at Barley and Hops

The beer is a hazy amber color with a thin coaster of white foam atop it. The aroma is lemon zest and light funk. Taste features big citrus notes, bitter hops and acetic tartness. Starts out sweet and fruity followed by a very nice hoppy bitterness and a sour, tart finish. Feel tends toward the lighter side with a nice level of carbonation. Overall I found this to be a very enjoyable offering from New Belgium. Light, refreshing and very easy drinking.

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

"Wild ale?" Really? Doesn't anyone at BA think this might get confused with beers with wild, or fresh, hops?

Enough editorial. On to a fabulous beer. The light pilsner like malt sense is simple a barren stage, a light frame, for the main act: the sour and cascade/grapefruit hops sense. A bit of lime too. The balance is perfect.

Clarity a bit hazy: may be my fridge... or not. Bud color. head good. Nose and mouthfeel exactly like taste. Pilsner malt way in the background: taste or nose.

Bear in mind. I'm a New Belgian skeptic. Most of their beers I've had are inadequate and pale versions of what they should be. This Lips of faith edition is incredible. The grapefruity Amarillo/Cascade hop mix works perfectly with the sour. These are the stars of this show and they dance across the palate quite well in a Flemish-like/America pale hop dance.

Kudos.

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

This beer was reviewed blind as part of the blind beer bif #5

Out of order #12 from johnbjaeger

A - pours a light golden yellow with a nice fluffy white cap that seems to be hanging out for a while to see how I like it. There seems to be a good amount of carbonation rising to the surface.

S - The aroma seems very familiar. Its slightly sour, some fresh citrus and light barnyard funk. It just smells so inviting, I can't wait to dive in. Maybe a berliner weisse?

T - The taste is slightly underwhelming but still really nice. This is a beer I could sit on my front porch and yell at those damn kids all summer long. Its light and citrusy with just a hint of some funkiness, slightly sour, slightly barnyard.

M - Very light and refreshing mouthfeel, it dries out slightly in the finish but there is enough juicy citrus to remind you of sucking on an orange after a hard quarter of elementary soccer.

D - Really, I could drink alot of this. Its just damn tasty and enjoyable

So lets see what this bad boy is...
New Belgium Le Terroir!

Nice, one of my wants and wow, I'm really enjoying this one. Thanks John for the chance to try this one. I'm really looking forward to the day that the Lips of Faith series comes to PA.

4/4/4/4.5/4.5

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

22 ounce bottle. Served in a tulip glass, the brew pours a slightly hazy golden/orange color with about a half inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both good. Aroma is fruity and sour, it smells like tart apples, apricots, peaches, lemons, and some vinegar. The taste is similar to the aroma, but I notice some white grape and a bit of pine/citrus hop flavors, too. The sourness isn't overpowering but you definitely can tell it's a mostly sour brew. I know it's a dry hopped brew, but I pick up more sourness than hops in both the aroma and taste. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's well carbonated and also dry. I think this is a pretty good overall beer, I'll definitely buy this again the next time I find it.

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours hazy gold, with a thin, receding wisp of white head. A thin collar sticks around through the whole glass, surprisingly, leaving spotty brussels lace.
Smells very fruity and perfumed. Wonderful floral hop character, with a spicy wildness and lots of apricot and peach fruitiness.
The flavor opens with a flicker of sweetness, quickly moving into dry, sour apricot. Soft peach, strawberry and green apple, as well. Lots of fruit presence in this brew, with bone-dry, moderate sourness in the finish. My eyes aren't watering like they do with some Cantillons, which is a good thing to me. Medium bodied, with buoyant, champagne-like effervescence keeping this one lively. Very finely bubbled, I'd say 320 grit. Just a trace of alcohol in the finish. I think this is terrific, and will happily buy another bottle on my next trip to the store.
New Belgium does most of their beers well, but they really seem to excel at sour ales. I'm wowed every time I try a new one, and each has it's own distinct character. This one is almost..."clean" for a wild ale.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

22oz bottle poured cold into my Maudite snifter.

Appearance-Looks like an Imperial IPA. Light orange, 2 finger white fluffy head that dissipates fairly quickly, resting on a top a nice white film with bubbles popping.

Smell-Tart fruits, Tangerine, Mango, Lemon, Grapefruit. Some nice dry hop aroma...some earthiness and floral notes.

Taste-Wow, this is my first Sour, and I know why it's called a Sour, and i love it. Tons of sweet and tart fruits, it's like drinking liquid Sour Patch kids. Tons of tangerine, tropical fruits, light hops and malts to balance it out. I'm getting a lot of tartness and sourness that has never tasted so nice.

Mouthfeel-Clean and refreshing, very acidic. Medium bodied, moderate carbonation.

Overall-Awesome beer, only reason why this isn't an A+ is because it's my first Sour and need to leave room for improvement. I will be buying this beer often. Unbelievable achievements with this beer. I could probably only drink one bottle, but wow, this is a treat.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a mini challis.

A: Light orange with 1 finger pearl white head with nice, fine bubble structure. Lacing was good, as was retention, which stayed until the bottom.

S: Smells great. Nice lemony scent and strong Amarillo hops. Very grassy, in a good way.

T: Up front it hits with tons of citrus and other light fruits. Lemon, peach, and a touch of apricot. Toward the middle of the palate some grassy hops emerge and finishes decidedly sour and tart. I love that you can barely get any yeast flavors or brett flavors. It's a great blend of a little hoppy flavor and strong sour tartness. Yum.

M: Mouthfeel is average. Nothing special, medium to low carbonation and bone dry.

O: A great sour. Polished off a whole bomber by myself, which I usually can't do with most sours. I think the lack of gut-rotting yeast was what allowed me to enjoy this brew all the way to the bottom. At 7.5% this one will sneak up on you because it's so drinkable.

4.07/5  rDev -4.7%

22oz. bomber served into a white wine glass

Pours a witbier-like light orange color with a bit of haziness. I've seen Gueuze beer that is similarly colored. Very bright and sunshiny. I'd say only about 1/4 of a finger of eggshell white head forms, leaving lacing in little stops and starts. I'd like to see more activity from the foam, but this is a fine looking wild ale.

Wow. There's like 13 different things going on at once on the nose. I first pick up on the obvious acetic sourness from the bacteria, but my mind quickly became concentrated on the hop character. Hop resin and dried peaches and nectarine lupulin aromas waft up from the glass as if this were a west coast IPA. But the hop aromas are just great accents to the tart lemon juice and cider vinegar that make up the majority of the nose. This would be a fine, if basic, aroma for a wild ale: plenty of sharpness, much more focused on the lactobacillus and pediococcus than than brettanomyces. But the hops, notably the aroma of dried peaches, plays so incredibly well with the base nose. There's also a slightly syrupy malt scent here too; it comes across like sweet tea. The peach hop aroma plays very well with the sweet tea character.

The taste follows the nose to a large respect, but the interplay between the hops and bacteria is slightly less successful than it was for the aroma. The hop flavors are even more of an accent on the palate. In fact, I find that the sour and tart flavors overwhelm the hops, at least on the initial attack through the midpalate. Some peach juice flavor that has had a bunch of lemons squeezed into it is the dominant flavor. Maybe even some kiwi. Le Terroir is very juicy and vibrant. Plenty of tartness but its never overwhelming. There's a sweet bubblegum like character that arrives in the midpalate. The hops manage to make themselves known during the finish: there's a bit of a leafy character and an almost-bitterness. The sourness swallows up all of the bitterness, but it almost pokes through on the finish. I'd characterize the finish as ultimately soft and sweet, as the tartness fades pretty quickly. I wish the overall flavor were more complex -- this is a pretty straightforward beer -- but it is tasty and refreshing.

The body feels a bit thicker than I'd prefer. The problem is that it is underattenuated; the light carbonation makes this beer take on some unnecessary weight. Overall, this is one of the best beers from New Belgium that I've had. It's pretty unique and really tasty. If you like peaches then you should love this beer. Definitely pick one up if you see it.

4.54/5  rDev +6.3%

For a long time this has been one of my favorite sours, this batch is the first time that I have had it out of bottles. Dark Golden appearance with a small lacing that forms on top. My favorite smelling beer, strong smell of hops, a floral earthy hops. Woody smell on the back end but a small amount. With each sip, a sweet floral start is overtaken by a tart earthy lemon. Very tart on the end with a earthy hoppy aftertaste. This one is sharp and dry on the tongue. Light bodied. This is a great beer that is light enough to be very drinkable. Perfect for spring.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into my Drie Fonteinen tumbler.

Faintly hazy orange peel liquid with a lasting smattering of ivory. Delicate lacing.

Citrus and herb laden hops in the nose, along with a vinuous floral quality from the barrel aging. Further murky complexity is aroused once the beverage warms.

Bracingly sour palate entry suggesting lemon, kiwi, pomegranate, and more. Faint rosé wine notes give way to a mild bitterness and an increasing wave of hop flavor. I'm reminded of the immense quantities of hops utilized in lambic brewing, though here, they are allowed to retain and contribute substantial flavor, making this unmistakably a domestic rendition of a traditional sour. Finishes tart, dry, and lightly mineral in nature.

Light bodied, well carbonated, spritzy, but with a touch of creaminess as well.

Another success from New Belgium's Lips of Faith series - wonderful for a hot day, so grab it while you can.

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

Won in a "beer bracket" contest for March Madness.

A: Poured into my Pretty Things goblet. Pours a ruby orange with a decent soft white head. As it fades there's a pencil thing lace around the outside that's barely noticeable. Love the bottle too. Good design.

S: Funky fruits. Citrus forward and pulpy with a hit of earth swirling around. Like a Chinese chicken special...sweet and sour.

T: Wow. The tart grapefruit hits the tongue with a nice pop that carries over to the back of the throat. The earthiness in between gives it more of a blood orange pulp flavor with some bitter rinds while, and this is what I love, the dry hops hold it together and punctuate it. A sour that has the salavating hops to keep you coming back? Yes please.

M: The dry hops keep you coming back to the glass early and often. While there's little lace in appearance there's a nice coat on the tongue with each sip. The dry hops really shine while the fruit flavor fades slowly. With the initial tart hit on the tongue, you'd expect it to saturate and maybe even irritate the pallet. Not at all. A nice thin wire walk with the balance.

O: I love it. This has everything I've been looking for in a wild. With the perfect balance of funky sour and a balancing earthiness of dry hops, this is high on my trade list already.

Poured from the bottle a clear golden yellow with a thin wet head. Light lacing left behind.

Aroma of sour apple, white wine, yeast and barnyard funk. A tropical fruit note appears as it warms.

Agressive sour apple taste with white wine and cider vinegar notes. Finishes with a bitter tinge.

Thinner bodied with a sharp carbonation.

This one is a definite acquired taste which I'm still acquiring.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

22 oz. bottle into a snifter, bottled 1/30/2011.

A: Hazy orange with a one finger egg white head. Little bubbles are making their way up along the side of the glass in steady minuscule streams.

S: Grapefruit and mandarin orange abound, slightly lactic with some funk. Lots of citrusy and floral hop notes. Earth and wood as it warms, along with some spice and more funk.

T: More sour and lactic here than in the nose, very tart. Woody notes are in the background but come to the forefront for just a moment in the middle. They get more prominent as the beer warms and add to the dryness and some sweetness. Lots of citrus, which is a kind of strange but oh-so-wonderful pairing. Peach, sour apple, very cider-like in the finish. The floral hop aromas aren't here so much.

M: I barely had time to notice this because I loved the way this tasted so much, so I took that to mean that it was pretty good. Once I paid attention I found a very light but lively carbonation, extremely crisp. Dry and tart, but not in the sharp dry out your palate kind of way.

O: This is delicious, drinkable, and refreshing. The sweet and sour paired with the citrus and earth is a great combination. I keep coming back to this beer.

3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured from a bomber into a becker glass.

A: Slightly hazy, light orange-amber color with over one finger of eggshell-tinted foam head. Light spotty lacing remains on the glass.

S: Surprisingly mild, with crisp herbaceous and medicinal hops, a fine thread of acetic tartness, and a persistent whiff of old, dusty oak. Some fresh nectarine fruit develops as the beer warms.

T: Begins dry, with juicy grapefruit flesh that is enhanced--practically made three-dimensional--by balanced sourness and delicate hop aromatics. There is also just enough pine involved to merit mention. Bright stone fruit, more temperate than tropical, is revealed as the beer warms. Aggressive wood, well-cured but aromatic, emerges into the middle where it briefly dominates the palate. Some sweetness also develops, with toasted malt accents. The finish is mild compared to earlier parts, kind of hard to pin down, with lingering phantom acidity and some sweet malt, but little bitterness.

M: Medium viscosity; its favorable wetness, stickiness, and succulence is largely nullified by a deep and lasting acidic burn at the back of the throat; with moderate carbonation.

D/O: History tells us that New Belgium is much more adept at harnessing sourness than hops, yet this beer's flavor makes something amazing out of both--and it happens simultaneously. The attraction is found early in the flavor of the cellar-temperature beer; it may taste more like real grapefruit juice than any other beer tasted so far. Unfortunately this beer's pleasant but unremarkable smell is not its lowest point--the burn of acidity builds on the palate over time, becoming uncomfortable. Still, the flavors win out; they are impossible to resist, the resultant burn being a cost worth paying.

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Picked up a 22oz bomber from Bev Mo in Point Loma for $7.99 (cheapest I've seen it anywhere by $2 - $3) and poured it into a Geuze Boon Lembeek glass.

A: Pours a fairly clean/slightly hazy golden honey-like hue with a good effervescence, thin head dissipating quickly, leaving very little lacing in my glass.

S: Smell is mellow all around - herbal tea, sour fruit (apricot and green apple) - the yeast is notably funky and unique, some citrus hoppiness in the mix as well - nice smell overall, but very faint - wish it packed more of a punch.

T: Taste is similar to the smell, but much more aggressive in comparison, especially in the hop department - good amounts of amarillo and cascade (or the likes) coming through big time in the flavor and lingering for a while, the yeast keeps itself in the mix as well - very sour and funky, balanced well with flavors of dried apricot and sweet yellow raisins. There is a lingering flavor of sweet tarts throughout that I really dig a lot!

M/D: Light bodied, fresh and effervescent - drinks crisp and finishes clean with a noticeable bitterness from the hop. Extremely drinkable, especially for this time of year - great summertime/springtime drinker.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

The beer is orange in color with a slight haze. The head is about a half inch thick, and leaves a fair amount of lacing behind. The aroma is complex and inviting, with scents of oak, apples, white wine, and a subtle funky tartness. The flavor is well balanced and pleasant, with a nice grape juice / white wine character. The finish brings a nice puckering sensation, with a lasting flavor of sour apples. Overall, I really enjoyed this, and would happily have it again.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Bomber into New Belgium globe.

A: pours a dirty golden orange color.. a bit hazy body.. got about a 1.5 finger head..

S: pine & mild tropical fruits upfront. Sour green apple notes with sour lactic tones as well.. some musty barnyard funk is also present.. also some doughy breadiness..

T: sour green apple upfront.. that slowly turns into a mild citrus flavor with some hints of tropical fruits.. peach, mango, lemon juice.. has an overal barnyard funk throughout the taste, but not too overpowering.. the finish has a touch of pine with some breadiness & some vinegar like characteristics..leaves a bit of a sour lemon taste..

Mf: light-medium body with an almost prickly carbonation that dances on the tongue.. has a nice puckery/dry finish..

O: very solid sour from NB! The combo with the dry hopping/sour was amazing! Worked out excellent!!

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Had on tap.

A- Pours a semi-hazed orange color with some golden highlights to it. One finger white head shows medium retention. Couple of streaks of lace on the glass but not much else.

S- Citrus hops in the front of the aroma. There is a light citrus undertone to the rest of the nose which creeps between the lactic sourness and some barnyard funk. Light green apple notes in the ending with a soured alcohol ending in the nose. Overall a nice aroma for the style.

T- The citrus hops in the front of the aroma does come in the flavor at first as well. Some soured green apple flavors come through next with hints of barnyard funk. This comes through in the middle with more of a lemony and citrus orange light sour tone. The backend of the flavor profile shows some wood notes along with a final light sour note. Piney hops show up for a split second which ends on a light alcohol tone.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Soured fruit and more soured fruit left on the palate. Aftertaste is light alcohol, soured fruit, and hints of wood. Flavor were well balanced for the style with this being not too overly sour. No off flavors were detected while it would be hard to find if there was. Heavy alcohol drying on the palate with each sip.

O- This was a nice drinker overall. The sourness to this beer was never over the top and the ABV was never really a problem while drinking. I think this was left in the barrel for the perfect amount of time. Nice job New Belgium on making yet another great tasting sour.

Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir from New Belgium Brewing