Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-23-2005

A sour beer barrel-aged for two years and then dry-hopped with Amarillo and Cascade hops for 8 days.
4.02/5  rDev -6.5%

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

Taken from notes on 3.11.11

A - pours a bright hazy orange with a bright cream colored head.

S - Smells of old citrus fruit.

T - Sour oranges, cherries, and grapefruit.

D - Starts sour, but smoothes out nicely.

O - This one left me longing for more.

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

on draft at sams in Durham. new Belgium snifter.

pours a hazy orange with a slight head. smell is a bit muted, but definitely sour and even a bit hoppy. taste is very tart at first but dies quickly. slight bitterness even on the back end and you do feel the remaining sourness on the back of your tongue. very balanced. medium bodied, medium carbonation.

overall an excellent sour!

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours into a tulip with a thick, dense head, moderate retention and lacing. Color is a beautiful golden orange, just slightly cloudy.

Aroma starts tart and grassy. Underneath is a little mango, some funk, sour cherries

Really sharp taste off the bat with interesting complexities. Lemon in the front of the mouth with an apricot mid-palate and finish. Carbonation seems just right, enough to make it lively without being prickly. As it warms, the grassiness from the hops starts to appear as well a little more funk. Good lingering finish.

A lovely sour, one of my favorites. Like a summer field in a glass.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

4.24/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

650ml 2013 bomber poured into tulip 15/6/14 big cheers towards Rutager for sending the bottle

A slight haze in a light orange body, fine sediment being moved around by bubbles of all sizes, three fingers of loose noisy foam falls quickly leaving no lace

S more hops then I expected one can only imagine what a fresh bottles like, canned peaches, lychee, mango, over ripe pineapple, tangerine and lemon, some funk, soft caramel and wet wood round things out, interesting nose smells massive

T not quite the levels of fruit found on the nose but that still leaves a fair bit, some orange peel, sweet and sour work well together, just a little funk, I'm loving the taste but the nose had a little more intensity

M medium bodied with soft carbonation, slightly tart, lots of lemon on the finish

O not sure what I was expecting but this works for me, surprised by the amount of hops in this brew still clear as day

I'd love to try some older bottles to see what happens to it, the funks pretty mellow at this point but plenty of hops works well for this guy

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer was room temp and poured a cloudy, dirty tangerine orange in color with a slight off white head. The aromas punch you right in the nose. It was a mix of oranges, grapefruit, lemon, freshly cut apples, grass, and sour APRICOTS. Oh man this beer smells delicious! It didn't have the stomach acid aromas that some wilds get. I'm already really impressed, especially considering all of New Belgium's other wilds have let me down. The flavor is heavy on the sour apricot which I absolutely love. If I tried this "blind" I could mistake it for an Apricot lambic or even a geueze. In fact, it is very, very close to Hanssens geueze. It drinks smoothly and leaves a nice level of fruity tartness on the palate. As wilds go, this is very, very drinkable. Trying it at room temp was a good idea. I came in pessimistic but was really impressed by this beer. I kind of wish I would've snagged another while in Chicago. Hopefully it'll make it to Indiana soon.

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

On-tap at Leon’s Full Service in Atlanta.

Pours a slightly hazy orange-copper color with a one-finger slightly off-white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of medium malts with large amounts of tart citrus aromas. Also present are slight amounts of tropical fruit hops and slighter amounts of funk.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Medium to light malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by moderately tart fruits – berries and pears if I had to choose, although it’s not terribly close to either one. Joining in midway through the sip are bright citrus hops that fade out into a moderately tart ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It’s got a nice thickness with solid carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass very quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I had to have this beer again after being a big fan of it from the bottle, and it didn’t disappoint. The slight age does temper the the hops a bit, I'd be interested to see how this tastes in a year or two, although I can't imagine it getting better. Well worth a shot however you find it.

3.99/5  rDev -7.2%

3.5 is what I gave the bottle I had in Vegas.

Full review for the bottle I bought at Liquor Shed for under $10.

A clear gold with an inch of foam, very good lacing.

The dry hopping is up front in the nose followed by the tartness that was lacking in the other bottle I had.

My, that dry hoppy goodness DOES go well with the sour notes. The dry hop to me consists of tropical fruit; a good compliment to the sourness, I reckon.

Medium body and carbonation, it's a smooth brew to my palate.

Nice. Not something I'd want very often, but nice.

Reviewed from notes: Thanks goes out to Jsanford for sending this one my way.

appearance: golden orange with minimal head

smell: sour, apples,

taste: sour apples, semi sweet, bready, nice balance,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: very good sour beer. had a nice balance between the sweet, sour, and bitterness. would definitely drink again.

Cheers,
The CPJ

4.67/5  rDev +8.6%

22oz bottle, split and served with fresh pasta and roasted vegetables

appearance: rich golden amber body, light beige film with adequate retention

smell: great tartness - spree candies, tangerine, tropical fruits, grapefruit, candied sugar, oak barrel

taste: The lips of faith line is an interesting beast - 1 out of 3 is pretty awesome and the other 2 are duds. Le Terroir is a pretty fantastic wild ale - cascade hops and sour grapefruit trash the palate, loads of sugar, tangerine zest and oak. Really interesting.

mouthfeel: tart, fresh, overload on the palate

overall/drinkability: nice

4.17/5  rDev -3%

A: poured a yellowish brown in color with orange highlights which had a nice half finger of head and left a little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: Mango madness struck on the first whiff which also had bretty funky notes, a bit of passion fruit character and a hint of vinegar.

T: the mango fruitiness was also dominate on the palate alongside, passion fruits, oaky character, funky bretty flavors, and some good tart qualities.

M: the brew was light to medium in body with a good amount of carbonation which had a fruity, oaky, bretty, sticky, and tart finish.

D: very interesting beer thast was drinking quite well and is probably one of my favorites from the lips of faith line.

1.55/5  rDev -64%

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

22 ounce bottle. Served in a tulip glass, the brew pours a slightly hazy golden/orange color with about a half inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both good. Aroma is fruity and sour, it smells like tart apples, apricots, peaches, lemons, and some vinegar. The taste is similar to the aroma, but I notice some white grape and a bit of pine/citrus hop flavors, too. The sourness isn't overpowering but you definitely can tell it's a mostly sour brew. I know it's a dry hopped brew, but I pick up more sourness than hops in both the aroma and taste. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's well carbonated and also dry. I think this is a pretty good overall beer, I'll definitely buy this again the next time I find it.

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle drank from my Rodenbach Grand Cru tulip... Pours a darkish hazy gold. A nice bright tan head, good cap and lacing... A very interesting aroma that is very sour and musky with some grapes, very vinous but has some very unique accents of hops on the finish. The hops aren't bitter, floral and dusty with a touch of sweetness... The taste is really vinous as well, reminds me of dry hopped pinot grigio. Not a huge fan of the finish, too much hops, I don't like the hop/sour combo. Sour hop juice. The more I drink the hops start to fade and it becomes even more juice like, not as sour as I would like.

This is interesting and tastes good enough to totally crush. I'd have again.

4.39/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On draught at Belmont Station's Pucker Fest. Served in a Delirium Tremens snifter, Le Terroir is a hazy pale orange with an off-white collar that left no lace.

Smell is super fruity and rich, watermelon with some brett funk.

Taste is great, like jolly ranchers! A nice tartness, sour citrus, tropical fruit, very tasty.

Mouthfeel is dry, puckering and slick, with a medium-light body.

Drinkability is very good, with a nice tart/sweet fruit combo. It could use more funk but has great acidity. Excellent.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

3.34/5  rDev -22.3%

22 oz bottle split and poured into a New Belgium Globe glass.
7.5% ABV, 01/30/2011.

How kind of Beerwolf77 to not only share this beer with me, but allow me to stroke my tick at his kitchen table!

A - Faintly hazy, the color is a bronzy golden hue topped with an off-white, well-retained head. Nice lace is left caked to the glass.

S - Dry-hopped to high-heaven, this is loaded with delicious juicy grapefruit hops that unfortunately takes a turn for the worse when the good aroma is swapped with that of Chinese food. This smells like lemon chicken doused with sweet and sour sauce with cooked celery on the side.

T - The malt profile consists of an overwhelmed caramel sweetness and toast. The hops burst out with potency that has an underlying citrusy fruit flavor. The Chinese food comes through in the flavor but no where near as much as the off-putting aroma (and I even love Chinese food! Just not in my beer). This finishes with a lactic bite.

M - Very nice sour finish with a lactic kick and medium body. A little thin mid palette though.

O - The sour finish is very good but the food aroma is pretty terrifying. The flavor pulls the overall up a lot more but it's just an ok beer. At first experience I really wouldn't get it again, but seeing so many positive reviews coming off this one, I'd love to nab another bottle and see what the deal with this one was.

Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir from New Belgium Brewing