Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-23-2005

A sour beer barrel-aged for two years and then dry-hopped with Amarillo and Cascade hops for 8 days.
4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

While I have not tried the esteemed wild/sour ales from Russian River, I am a big fan of what New Belgium as done with wild/sour ales, especially La Folie and Le Terroir. I do object to La Folie being categorized as a Flemish Brown. It is just as much of an American Wild Ale as this is. Both are first rate, though.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden amber color. Creamy head with slight lacing on the side of glass. Smells sour, similar to a lambic. Taste has an immediate tartness, reminds me of a cider a little bit. As the tartness faded there is a hop aftertaste that comes out and lingers. It's not over the top hoppy like some IPA's but just a light pleasant hop presence. Overall different from what I'm used to, but very refreshing in it's own way.

3.99/5  rDev -7.2%

ST: 22 ounce bottle purchased from Small Batch Liquor in Denver

A: Light amber color, creamy white carbonation, with slight hazy.

S: Citrus, dry-hopped nose with a mild acidic finish. The two smells blend very nicely.

T: Resembles a dry-hopped, malty pale ale, with an intense, but not overwhelming, acidic and sour finish.

M: A dry, acidic bite with a tiny, creamy effervescence.

O: An exceptional beer that places a unique dry-hopped twist, on a sour ale. We'll worth a try or two.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

4.14/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bomber purchased from Fleming Place Wine & Spirits in Topeka, KS. Consumed on a chilly October evening. Poured at refrigerator temperature into a Tallgrass cervoise glass.

Appearance: Pours three fingers of fluffy, cream colored head. Orange, peach colored body. Great lacing on the sides from the pour. Eventually a ring of bubbles remained with a white film on top.

Smell: Up front you get earthy, citrusy hops. More hops in the way of tropical fruits. Lacto tangyness. Some funk. The hopes are definitely what stands out in the nose.

Taste: Strong lacto tangyness. Also tart apples, white grapes and over ripened oranges and peaches. Some citrus notes do pop up towards the end though they're very subtle. A bit of brett comes out once it's warmed. Finishes with a long bready malt.

Mouthfeel: Medium feel that glides onto your tongue with some prickly carbonation. I can see this being quite refreshing in warmer weather. Drying finish. No signs of the ABV to be found.

Overall: A nice, tangy sour ale from New Belgium. Excellent, fruity hoppy nose and tart taste. Really showcases the lacto in my opinion. One thing is that I definitely wish I could have picked up on more oakyness from the foeders these are aged in. Given the cost though I would recommend splitting the bottle with a friend.

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Currently #199 on the Top 250 list. I love La Folie, so expectations are high. Reviewed as a "Dry hopped sour ale." 2013 vintage. 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with ornate label art and branded red pry-off cap acquired at a local bottle shop and served into Cantillon stemware in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. 7.5% ABV confirmed.

Served cold - straight from me fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a one finger wide head of white colour. Decent thickness. Okay creaminess. No real frothiness. I can get some lacing on the sides of the glass when I tilt it, but none sticks. Head retention is average - ~2 minutes.

Body colour is a clear translucent copper-orange. Quasitransparent; you can't read text through it but a close finger is visible. Nice glowing vibrance. It's got a warm hue.

Overall, it's within style conventions, and while not unique or special, is quite appealing. There are no obvious flaws here. Looking forward to trying it

Sm: Has a nice lactic sourness; I only find lactobacillus - no lambic yeast. Hints of controlled bacteria are evident; it's a better sourness than you'd find in most American sours, but it still has the clinical clean feel that betrays an absence of true spontaneous fermentation, so it doesn't quite compete with the good Belgian sours. Maybe some brettanomyces, but any funkiness is hardly present. I also pick up some gose-like saltiness. Vinegar. Straw, clean barley, pilsner malts, grassiness, tart lychee. Sour apple - especially as it warms. Pear. It's a bit saison-esque in its build (if you'll forgive the pretension inherent in that phrasing). I do get some light citrusy touches along with some floral notes - no doubt the dry-hopping coming to play; it's a nice effect. Hints of oak. A bit cidery. Musky.

Overall, it's an inviting aroma of moderate strength. I'm really looking forward to trying it. No alcohol is detectable.

T: Has a lovely streak of lactobacillus-induced lactic sourness along with more subtle hints of a controlled bacterial sourness. A bit of brettanomyces funk, I guess - but lacto is the dominant yeast. Some lemon peel, pear, sour orchard apple, salt, and pilsner malts. Lychee. Sour/mandarin oranges. Hints of citrusy zest and floral notes are imparted by the timid hops. Some lime surfaces as it warms. The oak/barrel notes are subtle, perhaps even reticent.

Luckily, I'm not finding the tropical fruit notes that other reviewers have noted; I'm very happy there's no pineapple here. It's not puckerworthy, per se, but it's got a good sourness to it. Lightly tart; I could use a bit more tartness. Some acetic notes would do it well as well. A bit of crystal malt.

Sweetness/sourness/bitterness balance is superb.

No alcohol comes through.

The dry-hopping works well here, but I think mostly because it's so timid. The hops complement but don't distract - sourness is still the star here.

It's a well balanced sour ale with plenty of complexity and subtlety. It's quite cohesive, and even flirts with a gestalt build but never quite gets there. The blending is well executed; it doesn't feel too young nor too old. Good depth, duration, and intensity of flavour.

As it warms, some peach and apricot appear.

Mf: Crisp, lightly spritzy, nicely carbonated (if overly so), and refreshing. Has a good smoothness/coarseness balance, with enough coarseness to accentuate the many flavours but enough smoothness to maintain its light presence on the palate. Wet. Very approachable and pleasant. Fairly acidic. Complements the flavour profile quite well. Excellent thickness and body; brewed to style. A bit sticky.

Not oily, harsh, astringent, hot, harsh, boozy, or syrupy.

Dr: A highly drinkable sour ale that masks its ABV impressively well. I'm really glad I got the chance to try it, but it isn't clearly superior to La Folie as some have asserted. It's very fairly priced for the quality and may be one of the best American sours, but I can't say it's in the league of superior Belgian sours.

I'll have no trouble murdering this whole bottle myself, and I'm glad I was greedy with this one. I'll definitely snatch up any bottles I see in the future, but in all honesty I may prefer La Folie, and I do think that this beer's limited availability combined with nostalgia during periods in which it's unavailable is driving up the ratings.

Absolutely worth trying, and undoubtedly great, but not mind-blowing. I'd recommend this to friends and trade partners. It certainly deserves to be in the top 250, and I think that says it all. I'd be very curious to try this aged, or to try a different batch. I sure wish I had a few more bottles for my own stash.

Drank very well from Cantillon stemware.

Would pair well with salad.

Serve chilled.

Low A-

---

2014: Papaya. Crackery malts. Oak ties it together. 4-5/10 sourness intensity.

B+