Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir - New Belgium Brewing

pDev: 10%
New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

A sour beer barrel-aged for two years and then dry-hopped with Amarillo and Cascade hops for 8 days.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-23-2005)
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

A - semi transparent golden orange, very bright. White finger head that goes away quickly, but bubbles pop up everywhere any time you move it around the glass.

S - tart lemon and green apple, slightly sweet cherry and raspberry. Light vinegar with a very tiny grassy funk to this.

T - Very nice lactic sour, lemon, green apple, sweet berries. The sour is very satisfying, but the sweetness doesn't let it get overwhelming; I'm halfway through a bottle and I don't se my palate completely faded like many other sours might. There is a very light grassy and earthy quality about this in the finish, right before it gets very mouth drying.

M - satisfying body, carbonation pops, it's prickly. Well done.

O - I'm really impressed with this. Nice sour and fruit flavors, some nuance.

drewba, Jun 18, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -4%

A - Cloudy orange with some faint brownish hues. Head is a thick layer off light khaki colored foam. Spotty lacing left behind.

S - Tart fruity aromas mixed with just a hint of vinegar. Citrus notes come through but a tart fruit aroma really dominates. Just a hint of oak comes through as the beer warms.

T - Puckering tartness initially with lots of under-ripened citrus fruit flavors. A light oakiness and a hint of lacto come through as well. Faint sweetness in the finish.

M - Medium bodied and very well carbonated. Mouth puckering tartness linger long after the drink.

O - Really enjoyed this one. The hop bitterness mixed in with the really sharp tartness is an interesting combonation.

ckeegan04, Jun 14, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -12.1%

On tap at The Flying Saucer in Nashville, TN

A: A deep orange with copper highlights. Solid finger white head. Plenty of carbonation as I see bubbles rolling up from the bottom of the glass.

S: Bitter apple, vinegar, and grape.

T: Very heavy in the vinegar acidity, large tart apple notes along with some citrus orange. Light bitterness on the finish.

M: Medium in body, with good carbonation leaving a light crispness.

D: A super sour brew. Needs a bit more complexity for me, maybe some sweeter flavors of vanilla.

ncfranklin, Jun 14, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

22oz brown bottle
7.5% abv

Lips Of Faith Le Terroir was golden orange in color and hazy. It had an off-white head with decent retention and a little lacing. The smell was quite interesting with sourness and citric hops. The taste was tart with grapefruit flavors (sort of like a tropical fruit sweet-tart). It finished dry with some sourness on the tongue. It was medium light in body with mild carbonation. Overall this is a very interesting and refreshing beer. This beer is definitely worth a try.

afinepilsner, Jun 11, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -17.4%

I like that New Belgium is putting out some very different and interesting beers. Appearance: Frothy head, fully diminished (2 seconds), Yellow color. Aroma: Grain, but not malty, late, light flowers, grass, little orange, moderate yeast, with apple and clove.Very, very dry texture. Heavy initial sweetness, and very long finish.
Didn't know what to expect. Nice sour ale taste, the dry hopping adds a slight degree of hopiness. More than anything the hops dilutes the sour ale profile.

doubleipa, Jun 10, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured from the tap into shaker pint at Flanny’s.

Le Terroir means “of the earth,” a reference to environmental conditions that affect the beer. It’s been dry-hopped with Amarillo, which is unique for a sour.

Slightly hazy apricot in color, with a half-finger, fuzzy head of off-white. The bubbles eventually lower themselves to a thick, lingering blanket, leaving some sticky, reaching arms of lace.

Intriguing nose — the dry-hopping really adds interest to this beer. I get sweet apricot and a bright earthy hoppiness that delivers notes of orange and pine. In the back is a moderate tartness and some subtle funk that reminds me of Thai food — sesame, perhaps? I dig it either way.

Earthy, woody, sour. First I get pine and bright orange peel from the hops. Moderate acerbic notes swoop in next, along with sweet apricot and lime. The hops combine with other flavors to give impression of lemon-lime soda. My buddy Ricky says it reminds him of tart gummy worms. The finish pops with flavor, the amount of sourness is perfect and it’s unlike any sour I've had.

Medium low, massaging carbonation inside a smooth medium body with a moderate amount of fizz. The acidic tartness slides off tongue slowly, deliciously.

I am all about this beer. The dry-hopping adds an earthiness that plays nicely of the funk of the yeast. A very drinkable, interesting sour.

Phelps, Jun 10, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Had this many times already in 2011 but just realized I hadn't reviewed. This one was poured into my Maudite snifter with a 1/2 in lacing that settles nicely into a constant lacing. The color a bright, crisp orange with maybe just a bit of red. The aroma is outstanding of pears, peaches and grapefruit.

The taste is crisp, clean and dances on your tongue with just the perferct carbonation. The citrus taste is that of tangelos which really is the perfect sweet and sour. The dry hopping compliments the sour so perfect there isn't much else to say. The hops leave a nice dry, bitterness after every sip but at the same time it is quite refreshing. For a sour this is beyond drinkable.

Every sip is like the most perfect concerto of flavors rewarding your senses and leaves you wanting more. Every time I get one of these on draught I share with whoever is around and almost every time they are floored. If you can't tell by this review yet, I am a big fan.

lonestar4lunch, Jun 10, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a clear golden yellow. A decent amount of white head foams up.

Aroma: Very acidic with a light funk profile. It has some peach and apricot flavors with some lemon and acidicness going on. Can't really taste the hops. It reminds me of a gueuze.

Taste: Again, this beer really reminds me of a gueuze. Funky, sour, and acidic. Peaches, green apples, and lemon citrus. Solid stuff.

Mouthfeel: Sour and tart. Lighter bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Ends a tad dry.

Overall, this was a solid brew from NG. Very drinkable and one of their better sours. I could definitely drink a lot of this.

mothman, Jun 10, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Bomber into a Weyerbacher tulip.

A: Almost completely clear amber body with a finger of coarse white head. Ok retention, spotty lace. Not bad.

S: Pungently sour, with lemon and white grape floating above a solid foundation of lactic sourness. I'm not getting any hops, but I'm fine with the serious sourness.

T: Nowhere near as sour as the nose promised, but still amazing. Peach, pineapple, lemon, and zesty citric tartness. Funking awesome.

M: Smooth, light body; almost no carbonation. The sourness really shines, but I'd still like some more life.

O: Terrific sour, especially for the money. I'll be drinking it again for sure.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Jun 10, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Had this out of a Duvel tulip split with oglmcdgl, thx.

Le Terroir pours out a juice colored bright orange with some faint peach within. A nice billow of an inch of white foam firm on top, some suds on the sides. After a bit stillness.

Smells quite earthy with citrus hops and an earthy scent. I get a tang juice scent it's quite large. The Amarillo shows more than the cascade with grapefruit, apricot, etc. A small sweet malt with bread. Quite bold scented and bright.

A nice mix of hops and sour, the dry hop comes out with amarillo type citrus taste. I had this a few months ago and it has lost a bite. The sour is on the lactic side, while brett may be there. Peaches, grapefruit, earth, sour, nice.

Feel is quite tart in the mouth. A pucker if you will. The acidity mixed with hop bitterness is a bit of a pain. The body is on the low side while this is quite lively.

This is a great sour, besides some work on the mouth feel, no qualms. I would not want to kill a whole bottle of this as I would be scortched mid way palate wise. I would drink these up and stock one or two for some cellaring.

BARFLYB, Jun 09, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

A bottle split with onix1agr in honor of black dog.

A- a stead pour yields a good two finger of bright white head that holds for a bit then settles to a thin skin and a solid ring. slightly hazy sunset orange in color with a sweet golden yellow glow at the edges when held to the light.

S- funky sour and amarillo hops hitting you at the same time. Vegetative and mildly earthy with some lemon peel and sour orange. Light spice quality. Very interesting nose.

T- grassy herbal hops and a bracingly sour one two punch. Lemon juice and a touch of grapefruit rind. Light dry scone malts and a touch of floral honey sweetness.

M- medium body and light carb. Great juicy pucker and a nice tannic dry finish.

O- this is a great american wild ale and the bold dry hopping is killer. I really wish new belgium would come to philly where the beer flows like water.

oglmcdgl, Jun 09, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -14%

Served on-tap in a New Belgium Globe.

A - Lightly hazed tarnished yellow-orange capped by a finger and a half of foam that thins out pretty quickly. Leaves light lacing down the glass.

S - Apricot and peach moves into both a lactic and acetic sour smell. Very light funk. Perhaps the funk most others mention isn't as prevalent in the draft form as the bottle.

T - Same balance between lactic and acetic sourness, with a nice peachiness. I like how sour it is while still being pretty balanced. A sweetness at the end that is a bit much. A little citrus from the hops (I assume).

M - Moderate body with nice carbonation, but the cloying sweetness at the end clings to my tongue and mouth, not driving me to want to drink as much of this.

All in all, a good Wild Ale, with the issue of not being dry enough IMHO. A little dryer and the drinkability would go up. Could also use a little more funk, but like I said, maybe I'd get more of that in the bottle.

MowryJC, Jun 08, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured into my Duvel tulip- no bottle date. pours a transparent gold color, nice fluffy white head that recedes slowly. Smell- tart apricot, mango, peaches, some brett flavors. Taste- extremely sour citrus! I'm shocked at some of the reviews on this one that complained about lack of sourness. Its crazy sour. mango, lemon, bretty funk, carbonation is light, only thing I'm really missing is the dry hops here. some very mild acetone flavors, some sour apple and sour peaches here maybe? The sour is so overpowering that it makes it tough to pick out the individual flavors.

Mouthfeel- I have a feeling this bottle is a little old, could use more carbonation.

Drinkability- wow this is a sour bomb but overall I would seek it out again.

lnashsig, Jun 07, 2011
4.3/5  rDev 0%

A: The beer is slightly hazy yellowish orange in color and does not have any visible carbonation. It poured with a thin layer of bubbles on the surface that quickly faded away.
S: There are light to moderate aromas of sourness in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the overall taste is quite sour and has some hints of citrus from the hops.
M: It feels medium-bodied and somewhat tart on the palate with a light to moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer is quite easy to drink for the style because it’s not too sour.

metter98, Jun 07, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

22oz bottle poured into a New Belgium globe. Bottle generously provided as an extra by thagr81us in the 'Nice Piece of Glass CIF', thanks a ton Calton!

A - Pours a golden orange color with a torrent of rushing carbonation rising from the etched bottom to the surface. On top of the liquid rests a creamy, 2-fingered eggshell head with great retention for the style. The lacing is awesome as well, with a majority of the glass having remnants of the head left behind as it passes.

S - The name of this beer is very apt given what the nose provides. It's earthy and grassy, and has a noticeable funk and must to it. It smells old yet strangely refreshing. The dry-hopping also leaves a good amount of hops in the nose, with a ton of citrus and tropical fruits, including pineapple, mango, and peaches. An interesting twist, and I whole-heartedly welcome it.

T - Wow, if the nose gave off any impression of sourness, it was understated. Here, it's very sour, and up there with Russian River in that regard in my opinion. It starts off pretty malty in the front, before the bugs and hops kick in. There's no note of the alcohol here, and the finish is sublime, end with a huge peach and mango flavor that lasts and lasts.

M - Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with high carbonation. Even after letting it sit and being mesmerized watching the carbonation stream beautifully, it never seems to lose any mouthfeel or pop. A little mouth-puckering and zesty, and finishes rather dry.

D/O - Drinkability is moderately high. This is an interesting beer and I think the dry-hopping really adds a lot to this beer. I'm not sure of the age on this, but I don't think this has been released for a while, but even still, the hops still add a good amount of nose and flavor to this. The tartness makes it a slow-drinker, but the sustained mouthfeel and unique finish keep this one in my hand.

nhindian, Jun 07, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

I've indulged this on tap a couple of times, once at Steingarten LA, the other at Library Alehouse. Delicious. This review will pertain to bottle.

Into a tulip, pours a white frothy head atop a dark golden body, exhibiting tinges of amber. Thicks legs as I tilt, lots of foamy lacing down the side.

Aromas of peach, citrus, and mild Brett funk, the latter just enough to create an edginess to the bouquet. Intense, and wonderfully complex.

Incredibly tart flavors including peaches (and cream), apricot, mild funk, with a nice crispness on the finish. Complex and smooth, though as it warms a tad bit of vinegar does begin manifesting, reminding me greatly of Rodenbach.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, with a rich fullness I speculate is based from the hops.

Overall, among the best sours I've consumed. Highly drinkable, very smooth, fruity, tart, well-balanced, with the citrus dovetailing perfectly with the dried-hops. For all that, however, I could probably only consume two per sitting, as the combination of hops and funk appears to knock the taste buds out cold. Who would've thunk it?

jminsc76, Jun 06, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

On-tap at Fountainhead.

A - I have no idea what color the brew is, Fountainhead is dark. In this lighting, it looks good, sorta like an IPA served in a Trappist goblet, replete with frothy head and lace.

S - The nose is quite hoppy (for the style), and I can definitely pick up on the citric-tropical notes imparted by Amarillo, and especially and overripe peachy note. As it airs out, I get more musty-earthy acetic notes than I do fruit.

T - The flavor is exactly like it hypothetically would be, in my mind: a tart-fruity sour beer with bright notes of medicinal pinapple-y brett fusing with bitter tangerine peel, overripe peach and sticky-sappy mango. As I get deeper in the glass, I pick up on apple skins, lemon pith and tannic oak.

M - Nice carbonation and body; it feels as much like an IPA as it does a Champagne-like Sour.

O - Very nice; this is one of the best Lips of Faith brews, if not the best, that I've had.

ktrillionaire, Jun 04, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

A thanks goes to fsvan for recommending this as I probably wouldn't have purchased otherwise.

A: Light orange in color, slightly hazy. Had a nice soapy head to begin with, but quickly faded. Pretty much no cap or lacing left behind.

S: Smells sour, but balanced by the sweet dry hopped smells. Peach, funk, citrus. I've not had many sours/wilds so it's hard for me to really put this into words, but I like it.

T: Pretty sour, at least for me. It doesn't quite make me pucker, but my eyes squint a little. There's a spicey sweet quality to this that I want to say is cinnamon, but that doesn't seem quite right..like sour red hots maybe.

I like the taste a lot, but it's hard for me to articulate what I'm tasting. A previous reviewer mentioned a salt water like taste that I would have to second. There's certainly a pineapple quality to this as well...juicy.

M: Sour, sticky and dry.

O: Hard to say this is very drinkable because of the tartness, but it's damn tasty. I wish I had purchased a couple more of these before they sold out everywhere. This is a really nice beer and welcome in what is otherwise a sour/wild poor market(Nashville).

titosupertramp, Jun 04, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

Taken from notes on 3.11.11

A - pours a bright hazy orange with a bright cream colored head.

S - Smells of old citrus fruit.

T - Sour oranges, cherries, and grapefruit.

D - Starts sour, but smoothes out nicely.

O - This one left me longing for more.

HuskyinPDX, Jun 01, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

bottled on: unk

A: Pours a light golden ale with near excellent clarity. A single finger of fine off-white head falls over a couple minutes to a centrally capped sheet of the same with a collar of central depth. Scattered cobweb lacing.

S: Brett dominates the initial draw. Then subtle tones of the dry hop come out: tropical fruits, citrus fruits. I cannot press how subtle this is - a mere thread. Mostly sour ale with hints of hay, earthy clays. Decent.

T: Ha! Quite tart, love that! Nice citrusy, lemony, sharp sour tones hit me in the forefront. Just what I was hoping for. Now let's see what else is in there.... Okay, a bit of a salt-water flavor underlying, a bit of grain and some sweetness, but nothing in comparison to the sourness. I really dont give a shit about the hops in this, the beer tastes great.

M: Thin body and medium to hi carbonation. Good, dry and mouth-watering finish.

O: This beer exceeded my already slightly inflated expectations. Good beer. Glad I have three more to sit on. Yum!

harrymel, Jun 01, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Standard pint glass.

A: Hazy orange-copper color complete with a one-finger off-white head.

S: Citrus aromas and tropical fruit hops.

T: Tastes very similar to how it smells. But the tropical smell is now the refreshing taste of mango. Slightly tart

M: Very good.

D: Want more, please.

drowninginhops, Jun 01, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +3%

On-tap at Leon’s Full Service in Atlanta.

Pours a slightly hazy orange-copper color with a one-finger slightly off-white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of medium malts with large amounts of tart citrus aromas. Also present are slight amounts of tropical fruit hops and slighter amounts of funk.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Medium to light malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by moderately tart fruits – berries and pears if I had to choose, although it’s not terribly close to either one. Joining in midway through the sip are bright citrus hops that fade out into a moderately tart ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It’s got a nice thickness with solid carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass very quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I had to have this beer again after being a big fan of it from the bottle, and it didn’t disappoint. The slight age does temper the the hops a bit, I'd be interested to see how this tastes in a year or two, although I can't imagine it getting better. Well worth a shot however you find it.

glid02, Jun 01, 2011

Poured into a pint glass at Barley and Hops

The beer is a hazy amber color with a thin coaster of white foam atop it. The aroma is lemon zest and light funk. Taste features big citrus notes, bitter hops and acetic tartness. Starts out sweet and fruity followed by a very nice hoppy bitterness and a sour, tart finish. Feel tends toward the lighter side with a nice level of carbonation. Overall I found this to be a very enjoyable offering from New Belgium. Light, refreshing and very easy drinking.

Sideswipe, May 31, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

"Wild ale?" Really? Doesn't anyone at BA think this might get confused with beers with wild, or fresh, hops?

Enough editorial. On to a fabulous beer. The light pilsner like malt sense is simple a barren stage, a light frame, for the main act: the sour and cascade/grapefruit hops sense. A bit of lime too. The balance is perfect.

Clarity a bit hazy: may be my fridge... or not. Bud color. head good. Nose and mouthfeel exactly like taste. Pilsner malt way in the background: taste or nose.

Bear in mind. I'm a New Belgian skeptic. Most of their beers I've had are inadequate and pale versions of what they should be. This Lips of faith edition is incredible. The grapefruity Amarillo/Cascade hop mix works perfectly with the sour. These are the stars of this show and they dance across the palate quite well in a Flemish-like/America pale hop dance.

Kudos.

kencarman, May 29, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

This beer was reviewed blind as part of the blind beer bif #5

Out of order #12 from johnbjaeger

A - pours a light golden yellow with a nice fluffy white cap that seems to be hanging out for a while to see how I like it. There seems to be a good amount of carbonation rising to the surface.

S - The aroma seems very familiar. Its slightly sour, some fresh citrus and light barnyard funk. It just smells so inviting, I can't wait to dive in. Maybe a berliner weisse?

T - The taste is slightly underwhelming but still really nice. This is a beer I could sit on my front porch and yell at those damn kids all summer long. Its light and citrusy with just a hint of some funkiness, slightly sour, slightly barnyard.

M - Very light and refreshing mouthfeel, it dries out slightly in the finish but there is enough juicy citrus to remind you of sucking on an orange after a hard quarter of elementary soccer.

D - Really, I could drink alot of this. Its just damn tasty and enjoyable

So lets see what this bad boy is...
New Belgium Le Terroir!

Nice, one of my wants and wow, I'm really enjoying this one. Thanks John for the chance to try this one. I'm really looking forward to the day that the Lips of Faith series comes to PA.

4/4/4/4.5/4.5