Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Le TerroirLips Of Faith - Le Terroir

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-23-2005

A sour beer barrel-aged for two years and then dry-hopped with Amarillo and Cascade hops for 8 days.
Reviews: 447 | Hads: 2,126
4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a hazy orange color with a 1 inch off-white head that fades to a small cap. Little patches of lace around the glass on the drink down. Smells of spicy hops, apricot/peach, mango, and slight funk/must. Taste is of fermented peach/mango, vinegar, funk/must, with the spicy hop flavors coming through on the finish. There is a sour and spicy feel on the palate after each sip. Good carbonation makes for a crisp and clean mouthfeel. A bit sticky in the mouth. Overall, this is a really awesome wild ale and one of the best Lips Of Faith beers. I only bought one because I wasn't too sure how a dry-hopped wild would pan out but I am going to stock up on these for sure.

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass. This American Wild Ale pours a cloudy orange golden color. The head is white, retention is below average and lacing is also below average. The aroma was almost tropical and slightly sour. The taste of the beer is very tart and is very acidic. The finish is slightly sweet. The fruit profile is very complex, i can barely register it all- I taste grapefruit, tangerine, sour cherry, raspberry and pineapple. It almost seemed with every sip, I would detect something else. I am a relative newcomer to sour beers so with out much to compare this too, I really like this. The body of the sour was medium, the carbonation was very nice and it is very drinkable. Very Very Very Berry good Beer!

2.88/5  rDev -32.6%

A: Golden, orange, not much carbonation. Small amount of head and lacing.

S: Vinegar, apples, hops, and vinegar.

T: Wow - very sour and very vinegary. Borderline too sour. Some lemon, hops and other citrus in the background, but I can't get passed the vinegar.

M: Medium body, acidic.

O: Was excited to try this and was disappointed. Too sour and too much vinegar for me.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

This was my first introduction to sours at time, so take that into consideration.

A - Pours a honeycomb yellow haze with a one finger white head.

S - Sour fruits, a little bit of apple, and orange. Smells a bit like apple cider.

T - Pungent and tart fruits. Good bit of apples and orange. Makes your lips pucker.

M - Despite the sourness, this went down really well. Carbonation was right on and I finished this 22oz quicker than anticipated.

O - Great introduction to the sours. Looking forward to trying more and getting more attuned with this great beer style.

4.51/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance: Le Terroir pours out a slightly hazy warm tangerine color. About a finger of head forms, below average retention and not much lacing.

Smell: This is good. The first thing I pick up on is a nice, juicy citrus hop punch. Underneath that I get a pleasant lactic sourness and funk that is prevalent but not overly strong. This beer is really a study in contrasting styles that come together excellently. About as good a wild ale as I've smelled.

Taste: Great juicy citrus notes up front, followed by funk and moderate sourness. It's definitely more lemony-sour on the palate than on the nose, but still not nearing overbearing by any stretch. Fairly dry finish with notes of light woodiness, funk and hops.

Mouthfeel/Overall: A bit over light bodied with a reasonably high level of carbonation. A bit spritzy, and about right for the style. Overall, I really enjoyed this one. The strong citrus notes are very much at odds yet really compliment the sourness and funk well.

4.23/5  rDev -0.9%

A: Pours a hazy golden-yellow color, with .5 finger white foam that stuck around awhile.

S: The nose is very citrusy, specifically lemon, with a hint of pine from the hops and a touch of funk.

T: Very acidic, sour apples, lemon peel, piney hop character. Not puckering, but def. sour.

M/D: well carbonated, light body. Thought it could have been a bit thicker.

Overall: A very refreshing wild. I thought the beer could have used a little more body and maybe a little more on the nose.

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Served from bottle into a Bell's tulip. Poured a slightly hazy red-orange with a three finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount very slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, citrus, and citrus hop. The flavor was of sweet malt, sour, tart, citrus, and citrus hop. It had a medium feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a great brew. The hop character on this one really makes its presence known. Really adds a very nice additional character to the sour and tart backbone going on in this one. A definite must try without a doubt!

4.57/5  rDev +7%

pours a glowing hazed amber with a fizzy, white, minimal head. Reminds me of Fou' Foune.

It smells unbelievable to me. Like gumballhead with a strong acidity. Tart Peaches, apricots, lemons, juicy amarillo hops, mangos...you name it. If it's tropical, it's in this beer. Quite literally the best beer I've smelled all year.

Very tight fruit characteristic. puckeringly sour. some stinging carbonation with a tinge of lemon juice.

I can't get enough of this stuff. If you get the opportunity to try this, prepare to get yo jaw dropped.

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

This pours a hazy burnt orange with a two finger white head that didn't stick long before it became a collar, leaving just a hint of lace on the way. On the nose there is a strange but pleasant mixture of deep pine hops with an overriding acidic funk. In the mouth that mixture becomes more pronounced, exceedingly tart citrus fruit hitting right up at the very tip of the tongue. The finish is like biting into a lemon, leaving me puckering a bit in a nice way. There is some evidence of being aged on oak once the sourness subsides enough for anything else to come into the picture.

Overall, this beer was a nice mix between a highly hopped beer and one that is supremely sour. I've not had a lot of sours, but to me the hops really made this one stick out.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

Had at SMBDC growler/bottle tasting thanks to BlessedBeBeer.

A: Very light fizzy head, semi hazy golden carrot orange yellow color.

N: Nice sour malts, touch of sour fruit, some semi bitter fruity aromatic hops as well, light malty backbone.

T: Wow, Hawaiian Punch! Fruit juice to start, sour malts, sour tart fruit, citrus fruit, tropical fruits, tons of fruit, light tingly sour and touch of lactic acid, bit spicy hops, mouth watering tart. Finishes with light dry feel, lingering tart fruit and sour malts, tropical hops.

M: Med bodied, decent carbonation.

O: Great beer, fruity deliciousness, tart sour fruit, tropical hops, blended well, drinkable and delicious.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

A - Fairly clear golden amber with a light white head that doesn't stick around.

S - Earthy and tart with tangerine, peach, sour apple and lemon. Some chalky sweet tart candy scents.

T - Fruity, tangerine with a bit of sweetness that quickly turns tart. Some light bready malt hidden underneath the tartness, lemon peels, earthy, chardonnay, oak and more fruit that lingers through a very dry finish.

M - Light and almost juicy with a linger tart dryness.

D - Interested if the heavy fruit comes from the dry hopping or Brett C strain. Very good.

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bomber into tulip.

A: Straw colored, fairly clear with slight clouding body. White head that dissipates quickly leaving wisps of lace in the middle and clinging to the edge of the glass.

N: Sour funk, almost like spoiled milk and citrus.

T/M: Citrus and funk; very dry and very citric, like lemon juice, in the forefront. Definitely a sour beer. I do not pick up on the "IPA flavors" I have had so many tell me I would find, but i do note that there part of the citric profile comes from the hops. I mostly find this beer to be very dry and very sour, which is what I like.

This was definitely an interesting and complex beer; very refreshing for a warm evening drinking on the porch or in the back yard.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

The beer pours a light orange color with a white head. The aroma is funky lemons and oranges, pineapple, papaya and some tartness. I get a ton of tropical fruit flavors in addition to the expected tartness/sourness. The flavor is heavy on the sour oranges, but I also get a lot of the other tropical fruit that I got in the aroma. The beer is juicy tasting, but very dry. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very nice sour beer.

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

Thanks to coryking for getting this bottle out to me. Thanks as well to rmalinowski4 for getting me a bottle to cellar. Served in a snifter.

Pours a cloudy peach color with a thin white head and a bit of lacing. The nose contains strawberry seeds, hints of cherry, and a sour lactic presence. Mild earthiness there as well. The flavor has a bit of strawberry and cherry, which are followed up by a mild sourness and a slight amount of funk. Don't really smell or taste any of the dry hopping here. Light fruit throughout and in the finish, going along with some mild sourness. Pretty good; interested to see how this one ages out.

3.87/5  rDev -9.4%

New Belgium Le Terroir

A: Hazy golden orange, fluffy off white head with good lacing and carbonation.

S: I could smell this beer the moment the cap hit my counter. Hoppy, juicy, earthy overtones, backed with a strong pineapple scent and tart cherries, followed by whiffs of candied sugar, oak, and sweet caramel malt. Very nice.

T: My first sour, but I thought that this beer would be less tart. My god it tastes like barely diluted cherry juice, lemon juice and citric acid. I can't taste much malt but probably because I'm not used to the style and my palette's wrecked.

MF: To me this has a thin mouthfeel, crisp and wet and bitter and finishing with dryness.

O: Probably a great sour for people that are into this style. I ranked it based on the quality of the beer, which I believe is good. My palette just wasn't ready for it.

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured into a snifter. Bought a 22oz bomber on 05/02 for $8.50 at Coaltrain in Colorado Springs.

Pours a hazy tangerine orange capped with a finger of white head that quickly disappears. Looks inviting.

Smells of two wonderful worlds, both slightly funky, sour and heady intermingled with juicy American hops. On man, I an looking forward to this flavor. Two years in the barrel and then dry hopped...

Whoa, hits the tongue with more sour than I expected from the nose, but this isn't a bad thing in the least. On the contrary, I thought while smelling this that maybe it would be rather docile. Have no fear, fur this beer holds up against other sours with a good dose of pucker in the form of lacto and brett goodness. Certainly not the most puckering funky brew ever, but that probably was never the intention. The hops show up on the palate as well, supplying some interesting bitterness and a touch of their flavor. Man, as I continue this gets better and better. What a complex array of flavors. Apples, cider, flowers in spring, vinegar, toasty oak. Good Lord this is tasty.

The mouthfeel is dry and medium bodied. Sour and slightly hoppy.

Conclusion: This is a great American wild. Not traditional, but a version of this wide style that works very well if you love both hops and sours. I applaud its excellent aroma and balance of flavors. The best beer I have tried from New Belgium to date.

3.74/5  rDev -12.4%

22oz bomber poured into a duvel tulip, translucent orangish producing 1 1/2 fingers of white bubbly stickage that is here and gone to a thing ring, with spotty lacing.

A - Not the most familiar with the style making it difficult to compare but here we go, first whiff smells like absolute shit of rotten pineapple, old cheeses and butchered fish...not much cascade hop aroma. im not sure if the smell grew on me or i just got used to it but there are a lot more things i'd rather sniff

T - Very tart, almost make-a-weird face tart, although somehow i find it pleasant, lemony flavors yeasty earth tones. like biting a lemon almost but not as simple, not much of a hop flavor nor malts. This beer for some reason had me laughing the whole time so strange but it grew on me throughout.

M - minimal carbonation, medium to light bodied...kind of prickly in the back. mouth feel is not amazing but whatever.

O - quite an experience, i wouldn't mind having more or seeing what some age will do. Interested to try more of the style.

3.2/5  rDev -25.1%

Chilled bomber, warmed up for 30 minutes or so and poured into a New Belgium Globe glass for good measure. Pour is golden and with a light white cap. Retention is a bit light and the pour is notably void of any carbonation. Manages to hold a light ring nonetheless.

Nose of citrus and earthy hops and a bit of grain. Offers an odd funky tartness given the hop profile. While interesting, it remains a bit at odds to my expectations and preference, and a bit subdued in the end.

Taste is quite tart at first and loaded with citrus oil and hop bitterness. In the end the hops and sourness clash to no end. Feel is full and thick, yet slightly to a fault as the hops detract from the 'wild' experience by forcing themselves upon you. Unlike others I think that hopping up a sour ale is sketchy business and a distinct failure in this case.

Perhaps some Noble hops might work for me, but for this I feel that I'm a victim of an experiment gone awry.

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Alas, review number 600. Much thanks to backfat (Dave) for an incredible post to help me decide which beer to drink for this review. Your box will go out on Monday.

On to the beer.

22oz bottle purchased from Arctic Liquors in Steamboat, CO for around $9. Into a NB Globe.

A: Slightly hazy amber in color with a stark white head that bubbled up to an inch or so and has slowly collapsed into a light froth of a head with some excellent gobs of lacing. Small amount of carbonation that moves up from the nucleation point.

S: As promised, a dry hopped sour, very citrusy combo of amarillo and cascade make a nice grapefruit profile. Behind the hops is a decent amount of funk that was apparent right away when I opened the bottle. You can definitely tell that this is a cousin to La Folie, strong acetic notes, and a decent amount of wood finds its way into the nose. Quite nice.

T: I've always wondered about the possibility of dry hops in a sour, and I'd have to say that it works quite well as the aroma really leads over to the taste. I'd be willing to bet that there was a decent dose of late hop additions, as there is a pretty substantial grapefruit and peach note in the taste. A decent amount of funk, and a strong acetic acid presence as well. Nicely tart and acidic, lemon like sourness. Nice malt profile that mixes well with the tart flavors. Really a nice sour beer with a hoppy twist.

M: Light and refreshing, light carbonation, and a nice puckering sourness. Fair amount of lactic acid that really makes my saliva thick. Finishes on the drier side of the spectrum. Really nice here as well.

O: This is another fantastic sour from New Belgium. Very different from the other sours that I've had before, I really enjoy the hop presence in this beer. Hops and sour do not logically go hand in hand, especially given the preservative qualities and natural antiseptic qualities, I fully understand why hops are not included in sour beers, but this works incredibly well. Really a nice beer. Quite the fitting beer for 600. Here's to many more!

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Let me start off by saying this is my first sour. Don't crucify me if I'm way off or sound like it's amateur hour

Poured a hazy but crisp orange with only a finger of bright white head that quickly receded to a thin ring around the edges

At first it smelled like liquid sour cream... but once it started to warm up I'm getting some rotting pineapple, sour yeast and some floral notes

Taste is legit and I was shocked I must say. Getting a nice sweet pineapple that's covered in sour patch kids sugar with some granny smith apple. My lips are puckered

Mouth feel is light and crisp with an ample amount of carbonation that really gives it a great touch. Very tart and it has a very sour after taste on the back corners of my tongue. ("obviously... Hence the term sour ale dipshit" is what I just said to myself out loud)

Overall I was pleased with my first sour. I was told that this was a great starter sour and a very good beer and I couldn't agree more

Cloudy golden deep amber, small off-white head long lasting and slowly shrinking to thin ring, wisps, a little nice lace.

Aroma is sour fruits, lemon rind, light funky yeastiness and hint of vinegar.

Taste is citric, tart-sour fruits, some sweetness, light earthy yeastiness, hint of grass, with vinegary lemon and crackers really dominating the finish and aftertaste.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Misty, toasted golden bodied with a skim of off-white suds. Retention is modest, lacing a bit better.
The first few whiffs bring a toasted grain and mango-citric hopping. An earthiness quickly seeps in, adding woody notes. Then the sour tones arrive in full, with vinegar, pineapple juice, apple cider, Chardonnay, and tart mixed berries. Further on, it seems to shape-shift between its hoppy and sour persona each time the nose nears the glass. It's a varied and interesting nose, but it could be more explosive.
Sour grabs hold of the cheeks right away. Tart cherries, raspberries, and pineapple. Toasty malt act as a canvas, and collects the barrel notes as it goes along. The sourness dives into balsamic vinegar and iron-rich blood, then brightens towards under-ripe mangoes and papaya, as the hops enter the fray. They also bring pine and lemon peel, before being reabsorbed by the prevailing tartness.
Medium-full bodied, given spark by the tiny, persistent buzz of CO2. This, along with the kaleidoscopic array of flavors keeps it hugely drinkable and involving.
The Lips of Faith series is wildly inconsistant, but offerings like this keep me eagerly awaiting the next one.

3.91/5  rDev -8.4%

429th review on BA
Bottle to tulip
650 ml

App- Hazy, fuzzy orange with a very nice two finger head. Some dots and a line of lace is all that lingers and a little bit of bubbles on top of the beer as it goes down each sip.

Smell- A very tart aciditic with both the dryness and oak coming through. It took a long time for scents to develop and reveal themselves.

Taste- This is damn near the best into sour I have seen. It's very pleasant with the cutting dryness against the wetter tart citric acids. Well balanced with the dry hops flavors. The taste was so sour to drive people away en mass but was so mind blowing to bring them in en mass either.

Mouth- Medium bodied with a medium/high carbonation. A dry peach aciditic taste lingers.

Drink- Great craft intro sour. This was balanced, tart, crisp, aciditic and dry all at the same time but it all worked. I would like to have this one again.

3.94/5  rDev -7.7%

Served in New Belgium tulip.

A: Pours a lightly hazy yet luminescent deep gold. Head rises and falls, leaving splotchy lacing.

S: Sharp, overly ripe fruits tweak nose: peach, tangerine and oranges. Sour candies. Something musty lurks at threshold of smell.

T: The elements in the beer's smell blend seamlessly with taste, which is mainly sour and acidic. A blend of unsweetened peach, orange, grapefruit and pineapple juices. Citric acid sizzles across palate. Dry, fruity finish. Oak/wood/barrel are noticeably absent.

M: The body is a little lighter than medium, and the carbonation is tight and prickly, accentuating the citrus and sour/acidic notes very nicely. Clean and crisp.

D: Le Terroir is an engaging and uniquely American take on the sour ale style. The citrus of the hops work wonderfully with the sour and acidic taste. A fun and interesting beer to drink on a pleasant spring evening.

4.46/5  rDev +4.4%

Picked this up during my trip to Colorado...

Pours honey colored with 1 finger+ of ivory colored head. No lacing or head retention

S: Orchard fruit, grassyness & a touch pineapple & barnyard, Tropical fruit dominates as this warms

T: Sourness, a touch of stale/soured pineapple juice, faint grassyness up front. Pineapple & mango mix with tartness & acidity as this warms, sourness picks up a bit too. Finishes with a mixture of grapefruit, dryness & soured pineapple juice

MF: Light/medium bodied, fairly lively carbonation, nicely balanced

Super refreshing/tart wild that really ramps up the sourness/tartness the warmer it gets

Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir from New Belgium Brewing