1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Le TerroirLips Of Faith - Le Terroir

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

A sour beer barrel-aged for two years and then dry-hopped with Amarillo and Cascade hops for 8 days.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-23-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,192 | Reviews: 367 | Show All Ratings:
bamadog

Kentucky

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

One of several bottles I picked up on a recent trip to Boone, NC, this review is from notes taken on 3/23/2011 and poured from the bottle to a goblet.

Appearance: Pour is a light orange/coppery color and it starts with a nice 1 and 1/2 finger slightly off-white head that fades quickly to a creamy, full and incomplete skim; body is quite hazy, and shows light carbonation; a couple of strands and spots of lacing stick to the sides of the glass.

Smell: A strong tart bret funkiness leads the way and it's quite potent; bit of a pulpy/woody presence behind it; a bit dank and musty and slightly reminiscent of vinegar; bit of a citrusy hop presence as well.

Taste: Wow, very interesting -- the same as with the smell, the tart bret funk leads the way and it comes across with a bit of a juicy orange/apricot flavor behind it; the dry-hopping is an interesting addition and adds a nice bitterness to it, but it really couples well with the funk and citrus; just a bit of the dank mustiness and wood that's present in the nose as well; in the aftertaste, there's a bit of grainy sweet maltiness that barely lingers.

Mouthfeel: Body is between light and medium in weight and the carbonation is rather soft and brings just a bit of spritz; a moderately thick and sticky coating is left all over the roof of the mouth and it holds just a bit of the grainy sweetness mentioned above; belly is left a little warm from the acidity of the drink.

Overall: This sour is pretty solid -- very robust, citric and funky smells and flavors really meet what I feel is intended with this one. The ABV isn't overly high, but the acidity would likely catch up after a while -- one 22 oz. bottle is just about perfect. An excellent and refreshing beer.

03-24-2011 01:47:10 | More by bamadog
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Vibrant yet darker yellow haze with great lace retention. Great tart aroma coupled with hops, truly the best of both worlds, I love the smell of this stuff, chicks should douche with it or something, great interplay of the amarillo n cascade hops.

Taste, sour, slightly woody, citric fruity and hoppy. Saliva inducing. Small aspect of chardonnay feel to it. Good slight peach, grapefruit and lemon fruit feel in it. Heck even a bit of green apple.

Only $8 for a bomber of an undeniable soured beer, much less the barrel and dry hopping. Probably suffers a little rating wise bc its from NB, but I'm telling you, this can hang with Russian River's Temptation or Sanctification any day. I might even like it more. I've had 2 of these now, about 10 more to go. We'll see.

03-23-2011 23:40:04 | More by Beerandraiderfan
whoneeds8

3.63/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured into a New Belgium globe glass a pale burnt orange with a thin white head. No retention or lacing.

There is an immediate notice of a floral scent. If flowers could go sour, then this is what they'd smell like. There's also a sour citrus scent to it.

The taste . . . whoa. TART TART TART. The only thing more sour would be a candy. Underneath all this tartness there's some citrus flavors, lemon mostly. There is also a noticable amount of belgian yeast in the back of the palatte.

Body is medium with rather lower carbonation.

If you like Sour, this beer will be your thing. But it's not mine.

03-23-2011 22:17:02 | More by whoneeds8
burnheartsMKE

4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I LOVED the Le Terrior (is a "the" in-front of "le" redundant?).

I didn't think it was too sour, but rather, well-balanced with an unripe fruit-like sweetness. Those Amarillo hops on the aroma gave it a beautiful, fresh smell. The only thought that kept coming back to me was that this tasted a whole lot like a mango lassi; tart, fruity with a lactic-sourness that, for the second night in a row, had me thinking about curry.

Fantastic! If you like big juicy hop aromas and beautifully balanced sour ales do yourself a favor and seek this out.

03-22-2011 14:09:52 | More by burnheartsMKE
feloniousmonk

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

La Terroir, Dry Hopped Sour Ale, alc. 7.5% by Vol. La Terroir is a French term meaning "of the earth". Used to reference the environmental conditions that affect the brew, we like to think about the terroir of our folders. These wooden barrels age our sour ale in varying temperatures, humidity and vibrations. The terroir of New Belgium, so to speak. Add in another variable by dry-hopping with peachy, mango-like Amarillo hops, and we created an ale that changes every time we brew it."

Hazy, dusky peach appearance, solid, off-white head. starts big, slims down.

Aromatics cry out from the start, pungent and tart. Wild, funky flavors are matched with under-tones and tropical and citrus fruit. Sour, with traces of cat urine. But, you like that sort of thing, don't you? I love sniffing litterboxes, personally.

Tasting it: Booom-shaka-lacka! A serious thwack on the palate. Twisted, sour, and weird, but also light and refreshing! How about that? Bracingly tart on the tongue, meshed with a further fruit flavor, a more varied hoppy roundness, that caresses and calms the ravaging sourness. A crazy roller coaster ride. Merest malt, just the kiss of the hops, a flavor sensation led by the wicked yeast and the oak of the barrel. The Amarillo dry-hopping is the key, though, with that tropic fruit flavor meshing so well against the sourness of the ale. Lemon, apricot, grapefruit, mango, pineapple.

This is tasty stuff. Light bodied, but with persistent, sour, yeasty flavor, ends on a light note. Starts strong, ends soft, stays pleasantly weird and wonderful.

03-22-2011 08:18:29 | More by feloniousmonk
FreshHawk

4.43/5  rDev +3%

A - Crisp peach color with a decent sized, light, foamy, soapy, fluffy, white head. Nice retention leaving a decent lacing.

S - Wonderful fruity and funky aroma. Peach, mango, citrus, touches of apple/pear, and tangerine. Slight funky/barnyard aroma and a sour touch to the sweet fruit.

T - Strong tart fruit flavors. Peach, apricot, mango, etc. along with some orchard fruit. Quite tart (more than the nose suggested) and slightly sour. Only a subtle funk. Hops compliment the fruitiness with a nice citrus flavor. A slight sweetness and berry flavor. Only a vague woody aspect. Not overly vinegary but does has a slight vinegar aspect.

M - Lighter body with average carbonation. Quiet smooth.

D - Very nice and drinkable sour. Mixes tart and sweet flavors nicely with subtle hints of other aspects. Hop flavors compliment the tart and sweet fruitiness quite well.

Notes: Really nice sour and at a pretty good price point for a sour. Nice balance and the hops really add a nice subtle something. Barrel aging adds another subtle aspect. Great fruity flavors and tartness. Well done sour.

03-21-2011 06:49:49 | More by FreshHawk
plfahey

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

22 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Medium gold in color, with a slight cast of haze. Moderate fluffy white head with decent retention.

Aroma-Well, it's interesting to say the least. The first aroma is an assault of American hops-Piney, citrusy (Lemon, grapefruit), Resiny, and a little catty. Underneath the hops are some tart, acidic aromas, which heighten the lemon and grapefruit character of the hops. It smells like a sour/west coast IPA blend. Very interesting.

Flavor-Once again, very interesting. An almost candy-like sweet lemon/grapefruit flavor is dominant here. Moderately tart. Other hop flavors are present as well-notes of pine, resin, and cat piss. Underlying musty earthy flavors as well. Some other fruit flavors come into play as well-peaches and apricots most notably. The acidic character manages to dry the beer out a bit, but it still finishes a bit sweet.

Mouthfeel-Medium body, moderate carbonation. Slight acidic prickle on the tongue.

Pretty good, and definitely unique, but I'm not sure these specific hops did it for me. I think there's potential in a dry-hopped sour, but the catty hop tones were a little off-putting, especially in the flavor. On the whole, I liked it, and I'm definitely glad I tried it.

03-21-2011 05:47:10 | More by plfahey
beerwolf77

2.73/5  rDev -36.5%

Very excited to get a shot at this one. With all the glowing reviews I have high hopes. Split into globe glasses.

A: Golden orange amber. Two fingers of dirty white head. Modest lace.

S: WTF! Sweet and sour chicken? We joked about smelling Chinese food in this but it's a sad reality. Full on hop blast. Moderate lactic sour but the hops just drown it out.

T: The flavor isn't much better. Weak all the way around. Mild sour bite along with loads of citrus hops. Sour hops is pretty much all I get. Very strange.

M: Medium body with mild carbonation.

O: I have no idea where all those high scores came from. This stuff is nowhere near a solid wild ale. I had high hopes. Sadly my hopes were dashed.

03-21-2011 02:36:43 | More by beerwolf77
zeff80

Missouri

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

A - Poured out a clear, golden amber color with a one-finger, off-white head of foam. It left thin rings of head.

S - It smelled funky with some barnyard-like smells. Peach aromas with some other sweet/sour fruits.

T - Sour fruits - apple, peach and cherry with a good spice bite.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied ale with a dry finish.

D - This is a very nice wild ale. I'm glad it finally made it into my hands/beer glass!

03-21-2011 01:30:16 | More by zeff80
elgiacomo

Georgia

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

I will preface this review by saying this is my first ever sour beer, so I don't have a lot to compare it to in the style, and may revisit sometime down the road after I've tried more beers in this style. As a hophead I figured this would make a good introduction to Sours.

22oz bottle, January 2011 bottling date. Served cool in a tulip.

Pours lightly hazy orange with a fair white head that recedes to a small cap. Leaves only a little short-lived lacing.

Aroma is citrus hops with apricot and peach notes, quite fruity, some bread, yeast, and perhaps a hint of funk. Good to very good strength.

Flavor is kind of like a sour peach, quite tart and puckering, a lot of fruity and citrus notes, lemon in particular, a touch of funk underneath.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, oily and quite sticky, medium to high carbonation.

Interesting to say the least for this sour noob. I really like the aroma in particular and the flavor is quite good, just need to get used to puckering tartness in a beer. At the very least this has me intrigued to try other Sours and Wilds.

03-20-2011 20:01:22 | More by elgiacomo
marvin213

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Brown yet translucent, it looks good and refreshing. A relative fizz (unforgiving pour) settles to a yummy, succulent looking head that laces my glass like legs on a wine. It looks becoming...like a winner.

Smells sour. The smell is pretty pungent to me--so reminiscent of a Flanders I consider backing up off of it and sitting my cup down. The smell is more of a warning than an invitation.

The taste is more subtle than smell. I can't say I identify dry-hopping, but it's mouth-puckering appealing. It's refreshing in the same way as other appealing sours--it cleanses the palate beautifully. It certainly makes you take notice! It feels just sour enough, without a menacing kind of face you might expect from a relative sour rook. Compared to the sour way it tastes and smells, the feel is negligible.

The drink is incredibly interesting. I'm glad I bought it, and glad to have another one. As I suspect is normal for the style, I wouldn't wanna drink a whole bomber alone, much less take two! Great beer to share, certainly, and a good experience!

03-20-2011 19:25:10 | More by marvin213
BeerFMAndy

3.38/5  rDev -21.4%

22 oz bottle split and poured into a New Belgium Globe glass.
7.5% ABV, 01/30/2011.

How kind of Beerwolf77 to not only share this beer with me, but allow me to stroke my tick at his kitchen table!

A - Faintly hazy, the color is a bronzy golden hue topped with an off-white, well-retained head. Nice lace is left caked to the glass.

S - Dry-hopped to high-heaven, this is loaded with delicious juicy grapefruit hops that unfortunately takes a turn for the worse when the good aroma is swapped with that of Chinese food. This smells like lemon chicken doused with sweet and sour sauce with cooked celery on the side.

T - The malt profile consists of an overwhelmed caramel sweetness and toast. The hops burst out with potency that has an underlying citrusy fruit flavor. The Chinese food comes through in the flavor but no where near as much as the off-putting aroma (and I even love Chinese food! Just not in my beer). This finishes with a lactic bite.

M - Very nice sour finish with a lactic kick and medium body. A little thin mid palette though.

O - The sour finish is very good but the food aroma is pretty terrifying. The flavor pulls the overall up a lot more but it's just an ok beer. At first experience I really wouldn't get it again, but seeing so many positive reviews coming off this one, I'd love to nab another bottle and see what the deal with this one was.

03-20-2011 15:04:57 | More by BeerFMAndy
Arbitrator

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by the late chswimmer (RIP). Thanks, Ted.

I confess I enjoyed it a lot more than I told the guys at the tasting. They seemed less enthused about it, so I kept quiet and kept taking pours of it "for research." I didn't let on that I enjoyed it, but I really did. It's surprisingly delicious. I stress, "surprisingly."

A: Pours a clear orange-gold with 1 finger of off-white head.

S: It's very floral, blending seamlessly into vibrant pineapple, peach, apricots, and lemon, with a light funk. There's a lactic sourness in the nose. It's mildly tannic, as well.

T: I go absolutely nuts for pineapple, peach, and apricot flavors in beer. This one is no exception. I'm guessing all of those flavors are from the dry-hopping that Ted mentioned. This must be a super-fresh bottle then. It's vibrant and delicious. I'm impressed that it's simultaneously peach-sweet and pineapple-sour. It's mostly lactic on the palate, though there is a mild acetic burn in the finish, accentuated by tannins.

M: Light-medium bodied. It has spritzy carbonation; maybe a little too much, as it winds up being kind of foamy on the palate.

O: Again: SURPRISINGLY tasty.

03-20-2011 04:56:26 | More by Arbitrator
GRG1313

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a clear orange with a short pure white head that fades quickly.

Nose is an assertive and unique fruity pine. There is a light sour orange/sour tangerine character in the nose.

Mouthfeel is bright and medium sour with a wonderful acidic and sour quality. Very drinkable and inviting.

Flavors on this one really rock. Assertive lightly sour and acidic tangerine, sour apricot and oranges. Loads of citrus flavors with a very consumer friendly sour character.

This is a very well made beer; a really nice sour right now and one that should be tried fresh and enjoyed before we all jump to age it. It will likely age well but perhaps lose some of that wonderful tangerine/orange/apricot fruit character. One of my favorites of the Lips of Faith Series. I really like this one.

03-19-2011 06:21:12 | More by GRG1313
Overlord

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

I horribly underrated the cask version of this.

POurs a bright orange-y brown-ish gold. Smells like abundant fresh apricots, sour tang-y wood/oak, a bit of fresh citrus and grass, and a biting, lemon-y tartness.

Taste is excellent. The apricot and citrus and hops OH MY just spill all over themselves. It really gives you a palate work-out, as it manages the rare trick of being both woodsy/lemon-y sour AND citrus-y sour with some fruit sweetness at the same time.

Nice bubbly mouthfeel. Really enjoyed it.

03-17-2011 21:46:45 | More by Overlord
Mavajo

Georgia

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Wow, really amused by some of the recent reviews. Makes me wonder if we're drinking the same beer!

Pours a hazy golden/amber color with mild white head.

Nose is intense. It's this bizarre medley of typical sour funk, combined with juicy tropical fruit hops -- the hops definitely make a big appearance in the nose.

The nose was wonderful, but the taste brings it to a whole 'nother level. This is smack-you-in-the-mouth intense. Sourness is brutal, and the intensity is ratcheted up because of the dry-hopping. Take the intensity of a dry-hopped IPA and combine it with a mouth-watering sour, and that's what you got here. Loads of tropical fruitiness - citrus, tangerine, etc. Freaking phenomenal. It's really a tremendous interaction here - the sourness and tropical fruitiness play off of eachother and make one of the most epic tastes I've encountered yet in craft beer.

Mouthfeel is about what you would expect. No problems. Appropriate carbonation, etc.

La Terroir has instantly become one of my favorite sours. It sparked by interest, so I tried a La Folie a couple days later (I'd had one sitting in the fridge for ages, but never tried it). Let me tell you - La Terroir blows La Folie away. La Folie was such a disappointment for me after trying La Terroir. That's not a knock on La Folie - that's merely high praise for La Terroir.

Awesome, awesome sour. Might be my favorite American sour to date. Hell, might just be my favorite sour period. I managed to track down a store with more on the shelves and I stocked up. But considering the dry-hopping, I'm not sure if I should drink it all now or save it so that I can enjoy this goodness until the next release.

My advice: Ignore the bad reviews and give it a try. This is a fantastic sour, and it may just be an acquired taste for some.

03-17-2011 19:27:43 | More by Mavajo
chumba526

Oregon

2.78/5  rDev -35.3%

It appears hazy orange.

It smells really weird. There is an odd peppery spicy flavor. There is also a weird sulfuric smell. It almost smells like vomit.

It actually tastes pretty good. it is slightly sour. I get a bit of a fruity and peppery flavor. The beer is sour but it is not overly sour. It is a pretty smooth beer.

It has a crisp mouthfeel with ample carbonation.

Overall it smells nasty but it tastes pretty good though it is nowhere close to being one of the best sour ales I have had.

03-17-2011 17:47:20 | More by chumba526
RTJakarta

Kentucky

3.05/5  rDev -29.1%

Pours a hazy yellow/orange with a small head and some visible carbonation.

Smell is not what I would expect at all. Doesn't have the sour smell like a lot of Flanders Reds....kinda smells like an IPA gone awry to me. Sort of makes me cringe before I even try this. (I picked up a bottle because it was relatively inexpensive, and I <3 sour ales.)

Taste was better than I thought after smelling. Definitely a little bit of sourness, but the beer is WAY too busy. Sure, you taste a sourness, but you also get a weird blend of hops and fruits. I just think there's too much going on at once.

Mouthfeel is smooth, minimal feel of the carbonation. Nice.

Overall, not bad, but not very good either. The schizophrenic taste is a big detractor, but if you want something kinda sour, this is a relatively cheap choice.

03-17-2011 16:31:18 | More by RTJakarta
UTCengOwl

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Had this on tap at the Black Star Co-op. Been looking for this for some time and it was worth it. Fantastic.

Poured a hazy tangerine. That color might be influenced by what I smelled in the beer... Had a decent white head with good retention and lacing.

the nose was a wide variety of fruits. Mangos, oranges and grapefruit. The grapefruit was hoppy and a bit grainy, but the others were smooth and sour. Brilliant, wonderful blending. Gotta give a lot of respect to whoever came up with this.

The taste is right along the same lines. Citric and lactic sourness. No vinegar at all. All sorts of fruit. Highly refreshing and drinkable.

Make more so that I can get this in bottles on a consistent basis!

03-17-2011 02:58:27 | More by UTCengOwl
bbb099

1.95/5  rDev -54.7%

Split with mjyoung, poured into a snifter.

A - Clear orange amber color with white colored head that eventually disappears with little to no lacing.

S - Incredibly strong tart aroma with detectable grassy hops. Grapefruit, lemon and mango come through as well.

T - Not too sour, but tasted quite awful to me. I did not find any hops in it, mostly the vinegar and lemon sourness coming through. Medicine and vomit-like going down.

M - Low carbonation. Medium to full bodied.

D - Quite difficult to finish my glass. I have had great sours before and to me this is borderline undrinkable. The initial taste is fine, the second it goes down your throat, the terrible flavors come out.

03-16-2011 04:27:19 | More by bbb099
jjanega08

4.47/5  rDev +4%

A small stamp on the bottom of the painted "label" says 1/30/2011 which I assume is the bottled on date.

A= pours a tasty looking golden amber color with a small white head on it that falls fast to a soupy looking head on it. The lacing is spotty but present. Actually looks nice.

S= A complex mix of my two favorite things. Hops are present in a grassy sort of way. Actually compliments the sour notes quite well adding a sort of barnyard funky smell. Lemon covered grass is what comes to mind. There is a bit of a fruityness that comes along with the hops as well but not a major player.

T= The taste is very lactic sour. The hops again play a little supporting grassy role in it that sort of lifts the funk up. There is a bit of a fruityness coming from the hops as well. Lemony for sure and the finish is actually hoppy. Great brew!

M= Awesome carbonation and nice prickly mouthfeel. I would say it resembles an IPA in weight and cover with the zesty carbonation of a sour.

D= Awesome! This and the Eric's ale have been some of the best sours I've ever had. This is an excellent brew for sure. Worth seeking out and trying. I plan to buy a few more.

03-16-2011 03:47:06 | More by jjanega08
n2185

4.6/5  rDev +7%

A: Pours a slightly hazy orange with hints of red and a finger of off-white head. The head quickly recedes into a ring with little lacing.

S: Very interesting smells in here. There are definitely a lot of funk and sour aromas, but there is also an aroma of candy to it. Lemony citrus candy. It smells amazing.

T: Lots of sourness up front with some light vinegar-like flavors as well. There's a definite lemon-like quality to the sourness as well. Some strong funk--for lack of a better word--follows the sourness and it finishes with puckering sour and tart notes. Delicious!

M: Mid-light body with medium carbonation, though with a slightly oily characteristic.

D: With so much sourness and funk to this beer, it's not extremely drinkable, but makes a great sipper. Overall, one of the best and most unique wild ales I've had.

03-16-2011 00:08:20 | More by n2185
daledeee

Iowa

4.47/5  rDev +4%

I admit it, I bought this beer based on the reviews.

Pours a bright dark gold with medium head that can easily be revived.

Smell is vinegar, slightly funky and spicy.

Taste is not as "sour" as others. In my opinion, this is better. There is tart fruit such as green apple, hints of citrus and a malt background. Lemon is really present on the back of my tongue. This is quite a tart beer yet sweet.

Mouth feel is nice as it should be: lots of carbonated bite. This is really an easy beer to drink. Usually I am not as crazy about these, but I like this one.

03-16-2011 00:00:29 | More by daledeee
GoldenJet

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

This is the second Lips of Faith series that's really impressed me, the first being New Belgium's other sour, La Folie.

For people used to barrel-aged sours from Russian River, or any Cantillon entries, this may not be for you - think of it as more of an "Entry-Level Sour", one that you may use to get people to drink more sours!

However, Le Terroir isn't without nuances. Lots of orange and tart green apple flavors, and a really cool hop-profile on the finish, which is cool when I burp, cause I get hops and not an acidic taste in my mouth. The acidity and sweetness hang around forever on the tongue, and it is far from unpleasant; I'm thinking this would be a great summer beer, especially when paired with any type of fruit salad, or an apertif when hanging in the backyard, waiting for something on the grill - really livens up the tastebuds.

For the value, this can't be beat - pick up a couple of bottles when you see it, as you'll wish you had more.

03-15-2011 23:04:58 | More by GoldenJet
readbaron

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Wow. This beer is a great value.

A - pours a light orange with a bit of tan head.

S - definitely acidic, also has some lemon/grapefruit, apple, apricot, hops and cheesy funk. Delightfully complex.

T - really nice taste. Quite sour, but does not destroy the palate. Lots of apple underneath, some apricot, a bit of hops and the occasional malty and barnyard flavors.

As I make my way through the beer, I notice a pickle juice like flavor which is hampering my ability to enjoy this one.

M - light, crisp, dry, highly carbonated. A bit prickly on the front of the tongue.

I hope I can find more of this.

03-15-2011 03:57:03 | More by readbaron