Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-23-2005

A sour beer barrel-aged for two years and then dry-hopped with Amarillo and Cascade hops for 8 days.
Ratings: 2,023 | Reviews: 450
4.47/5  rDev +4%

Apple juice colored ale. Finger of head with minimal retention.

Citrus, tropical, slightly tart aroma. Pleasantly hoppy and sour at the same time.

Begins with an assertive citrus and pine hop presence. Hint of honey an herbs mid drink. Finishes with a moderately acidic white grape and green apple flavor. Dry in the end.

Medium bodied. Well carbonation. Slightly sticky with a dry finish.

Many points for originality here. Exceptional flavor profile as well and very well balanced. It's kind of a cross between an IPA and a sour blond ale. I'm happy to say, its a good combo. I enjoyed this one quite a bit.

4.16/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bomber into a Brewer's Art goblet. Moderate hand. 2014.

A: Hazy, honey-colored body with about 1 finger of off-white head. Ok retention. Light lacing.

S: Interesting nose for a sour, thanks to the dry-hopping. Citrus-forward hops with an undercurrent of cherry/lemon tartness, citric and lactic acid. Peach. Some strawberry. Whiffs of cinnamon, spice. Vanilla. Really quite nice.

T: Assertive sour to start that is tempered by hop bitterness and an arid woodiness. Oak. A touch of malt near the end, but doesn't affect the rather dry finish. Lingering citric acid in the throat. Alcohol is mostly hidden at 7.5% ABV.

M: Moderate to high carbonation, but fairly smooth. Light to medium body.

O: Tasty sour that makes great use of the dry hopping to impart a second layer of atypical fruit flavors/scents to the usual cherry & lemon notes that tend to dominate beers of the style. Certainly trumps last year's version, if I remember correctly.

Prost!

4.57/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Incredibly refreshing and punchy. Not overly bitter - has a nice lingering finish similar to blood orange. Expensive in Portland, OR at $15 a 22oz.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

22 oz bottle from Chuck.
American wild ale.
A:pours a great 2 finger white head, golden straw body, some stringy lacing
S: sour musty hay, honey suckle, citrus, mango, peach
M: medium light
T: sour, sour, sour, some hints of citrus, lemon
O: not a big sour beer drinker but the are growing on me. This one has some great aroma but most of the taste is a strong sour.

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Pretty solid sour and the hops add a nice complexity. Overall it's nothing amazing and not worth the $15 price tag. For a dry hop IPA I'd rather have a red swingline.

This was delicious. Decent sour/tart pucker as well as the bright notes from the dry-hopping. As I sat with my buddy trying this one, we agreed that this would be an awesome brew to try and clone, and that it would be a great house beer. I am new to sours, and this convinced me to take a further plunge. Lips of Faith series rocks!

4.29/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Single pint bomber poured into a tulip. A sparkling dark orange with two fingers of sudsy, rocky white foam. Aroma is initially innocent enough, some orange and lemon rinds, but blooms into some pretty serious sour funk with a fruity flair, full of sour mangoes, green apples, peaches, white grapes, limes, vinegar, lemon juice. A massive sour gummy candy bouquet with just a hint of barnyard. On the palate the hops seem to accent rather than dominate. Tons of sour fruit: Muscat grapes, lemon-lime, those sour tangerines that are full of seeds, and green mango, super acidic and corrosive, again with little true funk in the old style. Fiercely carbonated as well, like a sparkling wine. Getting more hops on the nose late, quite floral. A subtle sweetness like a pina colada lurks underneath. Body on the light side but not watery or thin per se. I'm still branching out into sour beer territory but this burgeoning fan deems this an "instant classic", at least if one is trying to capture the sour fruit stylings of Rodenbach or tannic white wines. Wonderful.

4.69/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Excellent sour wild ale with an ideal mouth feel

4.11/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a clear medium orange, with creamy one finger thick white head, settles slowly to a thin ring and a mess of lace down the glass. Smell: sour peach, mango, green apple candy, lime; herbal, hay and acetic notes. Taste: lime segment, green apple, peach skin, tart white grape, woody and mildly herbal notes. Creamy, medium bodied. Hopping and tartness are well integrated, quite tasty. 2014.

3.96/5  rDev -7.9%

I’ve been wanting to try a sour ale, and kinda bought this one on a limb.

L (4) – Pours a nice clear orange/copper color. Little bit of head on top.

S (4.25) – Smells really good. Get a citrus and hoppy aroma.

T (4) – They aren’t joking when they say “sour.” It’s very sour. I didn’t get a whole lot of the hop flavor, but I enjoyed it. I wasn’t sure at first, but I kept grabbing the glass for more.

F (4) – This beer is very carbonated, almost like a champagne. Maybe not quite that much, but a lot.

O (4) – Overall, I’m glad I got this beer. 22oz is a lot, and I’d have probably preferred it to have been a 12 oz bottle! I have no other sours to compare to, but I would drink this again.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Surprisingly sweet but no aftertaste- very enjoyable

Orangish pour light head. This beer smells awesome. Hoppy and fruitastic. Here is where things go south for me. The taste punches you in the mouth. I'm not a fan of sours. The thing about this one though is that there is some tasty stuff going on after the initial kick in the pants. It has a complex taste that I think would grow on me if not for the sour kick. I think this is probably right up the alley of all of the sour drinkers. Not for me, but I think it has some tasty aspects to it.

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

22 oz bomber poured into a tulip glass. 2014 version.

A - Translucent orange with ruby highlights. Small half finger head that moves to a thin lace.

S- Aromatic hops! Peach, apricot. No hint of sourness.

T - And there's the twist. Sourness on a slightly below medium level. It does stay consistent with the nose at first, until the slight sourness and vinegar take over. You also some get some blueberry underneath.

M- For a sharp and dry and finish, it is suprisingly low on the carbonation.

O - A good tasting sour, great aroma.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

Delightfully tart. Subtle pickup of the Amarillo hops. Yeah, I'd drink this one again. And again.

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%

I picked up a bottle of New Belgium's Le Terroir a few weeks ago for $14.99 at The Lager Mill. I've very interested in trying this beer and I've heard more than a few good things about it, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks good, it's got a nice design to it that goes well with the name and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a slightly clear golden amber color that took on more of a amber color when held to the light with a little over two fingers worth of bubbly slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some patchy and spotty lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a fruit aroma being the first to show up with come citrus and tropical fruit aromas, but to me it's the apricot that shows up the most and it goes straight to a sour cherry aroma with the sour aroma starting to take over and it develops more of a sweet tart candy aroma to it. Up next i get some of the hops which I think were where some of the fruity aromas came from and there's also a light floral and light spicy hop aroma showing up in the background. This beer had a very good aroma, the hops seemed to add just enough complexity to it.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with some floral and spicy hops showing up a little and it leads right into the sourness which is on the high side and it has a slight vinegar aspect to it, but it still retains all the sweet tart candy aspects that it had in the aroma. Up next comes the fruits with the apricot showing up just for a second and it goes right into the sour cherrys which are really nice and more sour than cherry. On the finish the sourness lingers into the aftertaste along with some fruity and lightly hoppy flavors. This was a great tasting beer, the hops added just enough complexity to it.

M- Fairly smooth, a little acidic, a little crisp, not too dry, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a very good beer and I thought it was a very nice example of the style, I have had hardly any dry hopped sours, but to me this is what they should be all about, it's a sour beer first and once the sourness starts to fade just enough hops show up to remind that there is indeed some hops and this beer and I think it adds complexity to a style that can sometimes be to dominated by just sour and not much else. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little acidic, a little crisp, not too dry, not filling at all and the taste did a good job of holding my attention, I think one glass is the perfect amount for me, I might be able to drink the whole bottle, but there's a good chance that the acidic aspect would start to wear on me. What I liked the most about this beer was how well the hoppy aspects worked with this beer, it's got some nice hop flavors and some really nice hop aromas with out adding bitterness which I think would really clash with the sour. What I liked the least about this beer was how acidic it was, I know that comes with the territory when it comes to sours, but if it was toned down just a little I think it would help the drinkability. I would for sure buy this beer again and I wouldn't mind seeing how it ages, but I'm not sure it would get any better since it's dry hopped. I would recommend this to any sour fans, it's for sure worth a try. All in all I was happy with this beer and I was little impressed with how well the hops worked with the sour, they used the hops in such a way were it accents the fruity sour flavors and it's far from dominating. So far this in now one of my favorite beers from New Belgium and in the lips of faith series, it's one of the better sours I've had and it's now the best dry hopped sour I've had. Great job guys this is one tasty beer and I really enjoyed drinking it, keep up all that hard work.

4.29/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2013 version

A - Pours a golden orange with a two-finger foamy white head. The head dissapates leaving some soapy lacing.

S - Aroma is an interesting mix of grapefruit, orange peel, vinegar, and a light barnyard funkiness.

T - The flavor starts off tart with a vinegary flavor that is balanced out by some citrus. There is some yeasty barnyard funk throughout with a biscuity maltiness. The finish has a nice earthiness.

M - Light bodied with medium carbonation. Very crisp mouthfeel with a dry finish.

O - This is a nice sour. The dry hopping adds some nice citrus notes. A very fun beer that would be a good introduction for non sour fans.

Hoppy, super light-bodied, lightly sour. Nice.

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a small tulip- quarter inch light head that quickly faded to a very thin film. Hazy golden color. Aroma has huge fruity smells, both lots of tropical and citrus. I also got some sweet malt notes and some funky yeast. The taste is wonderful, with so many great flavors assaulting your palate. Grapefruit, mango, and peach notes slap you in the face up front with a nice lingering sour yeasty flavor on the back end. Mouthfeel was fairly light and crisp, with the tartness putting a nice prickly feel on your tongue. Overall, this is an outstanding sour, with the dry-hopping adding those great aromas and flavors. This one's a keeper!

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Extremely enjoyable sour/wild ale that I've had the pleasure of having on draft 3 occasions in 3 different locations. Aroma is a bit deceiving in that I picked up a nice dose of hop and fruit but the flavor that followed was more dank and earthy. Very dry finish with a bit of tannic bitterness lingering. Very good beer and would happily enjoy anytime....salute.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Bottle poured into a tulip

Pours a light orange color with a very thin white head with no retention. Lightly carbonated with very thin bubbles running up the sides of the glass. First smell is berries soaked in vinegar. The acidity is noticeable. There is also a decent hop presence in the background. First sip is incredibly sour. Strong acidic notes and a vinegary flavor. The hops finally come through after about 3 sips. They are fruity and citric in the aftertaste. The finish is pretty clean with a low hop bitterness that lingers on the tongue. Fairly still and medium bodied.

A hoppy sour? It actually works.

Draft at the Brewery. Excellent and very interesting!

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

On tap at Vine and Barley Palm City. Served in a snifter.

Appearance - Lightly hazy yellow. Nice white head. Great retention.

Smell - Quite hoppy. Kinda lemony and citrusy. Damp and funky woodiness.

Taste - Sour right up front. Lemon and grapefruit. Kinda herbal. Hoppy too. Fresh sharp oak and a very dry finish.

Mouthfeel - High carbonation and very dry. Medium body.

Overall - Finished before getting to this part of the review, so I got nothing.

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22 oz. bottle purchased at Connecticut Ave. Wine & Liquors, unknown brewing/bottling date (2014 vintage), poured into my NEBCO Gandhi-Bot large bottom snifter and drank over 60 minutes

Bought this beer twice. $16.99 bottle, little bit of more money on this one, but well worth it. Very sour! Best sour ale as I tested so far. I actually have bought two bottles and they both were a treat. Weird taste, but after the taste you just want more and more and more!!!!

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%

I had my reservations, but this beer really surprised me. The strong fruit (mango, papaya, grapefruit) blasts through at first, and then the sour hits hard on the back end. Realy, really unique sour and definitely worth the $16 price tag.

Lips Of Faith - Le Terroir from New Belgium Brewing